• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim Game Informer info

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NakedCosmonaut said:
So excited. Though I guess my dream of indoors and outdoors no longer being separate cells has not been realized. Or just not mentioned yet? Please?

Seems like a next gen realization in this series in particular. Can't wait for that to happen too.

Tobor

/looks at scans

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

jarosh

i dunno, all of this sounds pretty awful. and i hate the idea of the game supposedly "cherry picking" enemies, quests, dungeons, locations etc. based on your level and experiences. how does that make anything more interesting or the world more fun to explore? i know that wherever i go and whatever i do i can't escape the game's scripting and what it THINKS i'm interested in or haven't seen. so WHAT if i've already been to a dungeon that i later get a quest for? that's the whole point of this kind of rpg: exploring the unknown, finding unexpected, strange places, going where you SHOULDN'T go, doing what you want to do. why does the game need to "watch" me and tailor its content to how i play and where i go? this totally goes against the whole reason why i play the elder scrolls games. and it could potentially heavily break the immersion too. sigh, even less danger and freedom, just more restrictions. this sounds so much worse than the vanilla level scaling in oblivion already.

I loved looting high level places I "shouldn't" be in yet, and sneaking through with stealth and invisibility. OOO had a dungeon packed full of spectral warriors, such a rush to sneak through untouched, although I had to reload ten times. :D

maniac-kun said:
MORROWIND HAD 1 SONG AND IT WAS LOOPED ALL THE TIME. (At least it felt that way)

But what a song it was :D So good, I just had to work out how to play it on guitar. Maybe it's drilled into my brain because of it's overuse, but Morrowind's theme is certainly more memorable than any of Oblivion's score, imo.

DennisK4 said:
If I may be so bold, I will recommend some open-world exploration based RPGs; Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Two Worlds, Two Worlds II, Risen, Morrowind, Oblivion. They are all very, very good games.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've already played the ES games and Two Worlds (plus I've got Two Worlds 2 for the PS3 on it's way to me at the moment), just bought Risen on Steam and think I own the Gothic games on GoG, so I'll definitely have to install one and check it out one of these days :lol

kathode

jarosh said:
i dunno, all of this sounds pretty awful. and i hate the idea of the game supposedly "cherry picking" enemies, quests, dungeons, locations etc. based on your level and experiences. how does that make anything more interesting or the world more fun to explore? i know that wherever i go and whatever i do i can't escape the game's scripting and what it THINKS i'm interested in or haven't seen. so WHAT if i've already been to a dungeon that i later get a quest for? that's the whole point of this kind of rpg: exploring the unknown, finding unexpected, strange places, going where you SHOULDN'T go, doing what you want to do. why does the game need to "watch" me and tailor its content to how i play and where i go? this totally goes against the whole reason why i play the elder scrolls games. and it could potentially heavily break the immersion too. sigh, even less danger and freedom, just more restrictions. this sounds so much worse than the vanilla level scaling in oblivion already.

You're going out of your way to interpret everything in the worst light possible. Try doing it the other way around :)

Just seen the scans now and the new engine looks much nicer. Hard to tell what is representative of the actual game, but what I see looks very pretty.

Anything is an improvement let's be honest.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Death Dealer said:
I loved looting high level places I "shouldn't" be in yet, and sneaking through with stealth and invisibility. OOO had a dungeon packed full of spectral warriors, such a rush to sneak through untouched, although I had to reload ten times. :D

In Morrowind I stole some epic shit so early on, but I couldn't use it for another 20 - 30 hrs of gameplay. Proud as hell to have it... I just stored it in my lair until the time was right.

Early on in Oblivion I snuck through an entire dungeon just waiting for something scary around each turn and a worthy treasure... but I fought mostly just rats and I only found silverware. :/

I'm sure this game will be great, but seriously Bethesda...Level scaling is back? Not transforming into a badass overtime confirmed. Perk system? blech. Listen to your fans, you dumbass developers.

iSimon

Your hero can also engage in more activities within the towns, which helps the world feel more genuine. Stand at the forge and craft new weapons from red hot metal. Mix alchemical substances to create poisons or potions. Enchant items with new magical effects. Explore the mundane through farming, mining, woodcutting or even cooking.
Nice!

Skyrim looks and sounds amazing, always wanted dragons.

But can somebody help me with Morrowind, there is a lack of a tutorial and I keep getting killed and being poor, what am I doing wrong?

BlueTsunami said:
Seems like a next gen realization in this series in particular. Can't wait for that to happen too.
If nothing else it spoils the immersion by having indoor areas essentially in their own little universes. It can be day or night, rain or shine but indoors you'd never know, or not that I remember. Plus, no sniping an unsuspecting stranger through the window. Or just plain being a creepy peeping tom.

I think that most people misundersteand the whole level scaling, mainly because it was so awful in Oblivion.

But when you have a game like this, its really convenient to have some degree of scaling. It just has to be implemented well.

Fran overhaul proves that Oblivion with good level scaling would have worked great in Oblivion had it been more thought out/made more sense. Morrowind has level scaling, and even OOO, the most popular Oblivion no-scaling mod has a little scaling.

Scaling saves a lot of trouble when it comes to balancing, and designing dungeons, it makes the difficulty be better paced, it makes the world more dynamic (if you level up over time, why can't bad guys do that too?).

You don't have to totally negate the whole risk thing by having scaling, nor do you have to have super rats at the end (level scaling caps people).

Personally, I prefer as little scaling as possible, but some scaling would be totally fine.

For example: if the radiant scaling works for the main quest and that it only affects some location and some enemies so that you have some places that are a bit more static challenge which you can visit, while some are more dynamic, it would be ok, hell it would even be a positive thing. However, if everything is determined by that, and every cave you visit is decided by your level, then yeah that would suck.

Prophet Steve said:
Skyrim looks and sounds amazing, always wanted dragons.

But can somebody help me with Morrowind, there is a lack of a tutorial and I keep getting killed and being poor, what am I doing wrong?

go to balmora by slit strider, find a guild that suits you (wheter you are a warrior, mage or stealthy character) and do those quests

should get you started, teach you some of the basics and give you some loot to get going.

Just read on another forum, apparently a GI twitter said the shots were from the PS3 build. Might be just a bullshit claim though.

Ledsen

NakedCosmonaut said:
If nothing else it spoils the immersion by having indoor areas essentially in their own little universes. It can be day or night, rain or shine but indoors you'd never know, or not that I remember. Plus, no sniping an unsuspecting stranger through the window. Or just plain being a creepy peeping tom.

Yeah you need mods to get weather/ToD visible/noticeable from the inside.

Dennis

Banned
disappeared said:
Just read on another forum, apparently a GI twitter said the shots were from the PS3 build. Might be just a bullshit claim though.

So the REAL graphics may be much better!

Nah, we will see...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Am i the only one who read level scaling and perks and is now fucking dissapointed :(

God damnit

disappeared said:

would you trust the info from a single dued on a website called systemwars.com?

Mau ®

Cautiously excited. Hate that level scaling BS but Im sure its handled a lot better this time.

Am i the only one who read level scaling and perks and is now fucking dissapointed :(

God damnit

Im in this group.

TChirath

Neo Member
Very looking forward to this. Everything sounds good on paper, but realistically I have a few concerns:

"They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand"
- That could mean they won't be able to have as many loots variety like in Morrowind since they need to pay close details on each weapon (unless they mean weapon type)

"5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff"
- Again, the sacrifice of breadth to get more depth. I'm not asking for as many (pointless) dungeons as in Oblivion, but I'm hoping for at least as many establishments and enough breadth of locations to explore

"Quests are much more dynamic now"
- Same as above. As someone else already pointed out, there is no way they can handle all the permutations. I'm not looking for super super depth -- just give me a good balance between breadth and depth of quest system

Most my concerns are about from sacrificing breadth of content to deep details since realistically we all know every game is made with set budget and time.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:

that is my general feeling too after reading it.

Terrible :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The problem with bethesda is that primrosing their shit gave them so much money there is zero reason to go back now, absolutely none, the hardcore will buy it anyway and they will appeal to the casual guys. All i ask is one, and i refuse to believe it is beyond their capability to do it because if a single modder can then a team of pros can too. Give me the fucking option to turn some of this shit on or off. I refuse to believe that is not possible.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, this game is second only to Diablo III on my most anticipated games list, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that they won't fuck things up.

Running into bandits at a random campfire wearing glass armor was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about Oblivion. I spent 300+ with it, so TES:V will be purchased by me, I have no doubt.

Omotesando said:
Hope this game doesn't suck like Oblivion.

How did Oblivion suck? Comments like this make no sense. The core of Oblivion is good. There are simply some areas where it lacked. Fortunately modders stepped up and fixed a good 99% of it.

TTG

Arghhh, level scaling completely rips the heart out of so much of the game. And, I'm guessing, the sandbox won't be nearly as flexible as Morrowind was because they would be parading it around if it was even half of what that game did. Compounding the problem is that the world of Elder Scrolls isn't nearly as interesting as Fallout 3. These are the games with skeletons and trolls and this time... spiders! Yay.

I guess I'll just reminisce about Morrowind some more. The character I had that could permanently levitate, fly around at the speed of a jet and had custom spells that would take out whole neighborhoods from above. And then there were the weapons, collecting over many hours and enchanted with a unique soul gem that contained the captured soul of the emperor of the whole fucking game. Those were the days.

syllogism

Parading what around exactly? The return of levitation? While Oblivion, as was Morrowind actually, just less so, was flawed in many ways, the lack of levitation/flight aside it was pretty much the same game. Nothing "flexible" about Morrowind sandbox

wwm0nkey said:
Are we allowed to post scan? The game looks like fucking sex.
Nope.

I liked Oblivion and most of your complaints are pretty silly. If you would read the scan it says that there are defined quests like the main questline which arent affected by the radiant story system and there are those dynamic quests. Which will send you to a dungeon that you didnt visit before and uses your strenghts and weakneses. Also restricting areas to higher level players would make the game more linear.

MMaRsu

Banned
Was all this posted in the OP?

-A variation of level scaling.
-Dynamic Shadows
-Overhauled Combat-system
-Improved Faces/Improved Models Example: Faces have been dramatically overhauled. Characters now exhibit more emotion show of distinctions between different races and just plain looks better.
-Radiant AI
-Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)
Trees and branches move independently with the wind
Water flows
-Randomly generated quests.
-Beards
-You can't run backwards as fast as you do forward.
-10 races to choose from (Holy crap thats a lot of races)
-confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats
-presumeably open cities (as dragons can attack)
-Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective
-very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!
-Character creation improved, body features customizable
-2-handed weapons and duel wielding confirmed.
-Finishing moves, unique to each weapon and enemy you fight.
-Kids
-The game takes place 2 centuries after Oblivion
-Sprint is added !
- Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy
- cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing
-18 skills.
-Perk picking at every level-up
-5 Magic Schools Destruction Alteration Conjuration Restoration Illusion.

:)

Prine

Banned
Oblivion became obsolete once i realised enemies leveled up with me, defeats the whole purpose of enduring the games challenge as there is no reward. Your essentially maxed from the very begining. Im still concerned with scaling in skyrim, if its anything like oblivion it'll be avoided

TTG

jarosh said:

It seems counterintuitive to make an open world RPG and then to start hacking away at most of the inherent strengths that environment creates.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Reading about the way quests are handled has lowered my enthusiasm a bit. The most common complaint you read about all of Bethesda's open world games is about the level scaling and yet they go and make it even more expansive in their newest game. They need to stop worrying about how gamers will handle challenges (by opting to keep them out completely) and just balance the thing traditionally. Its like their trying to procedurally generate the games balance to save themselves and the gamers the trouble. If I go to that gloomy mountain off in the distance I'm expecting something awesome, not a bunch of scamps and some low level alchemical gear (which happened far too many times in Oblivion).

This all looks and sounds fantastic. I couldn't get into Oblivion on PS3 (will try modded on PC before Skyrim, along with Morrowind), but I did love Fallout 3. If they can go in a more action orientated direction for combat like in F3, and have a world that's as interesting and distinctive which doesn't simply rely on LotR and D&D fanwank, i'm there day one.

Some of the design decisions sound great, like the dynamically generated quests - it's like stranger encounters in Red Dead Redemption taken in an even more interesting direction, and the big plus is that it encourages you to explore your surroundings more (something I am actually hesitant do in open world games because I fear I may spoil pivotal location reveals for myself). The levelling system sounds smart too.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I love Elder Scrolls series as much as anyone, but I'm going to be realistic about how I feel after reading this instead of getting all hyped up, so I can (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised.

Disappointed with level scaling; it's lazy and ultimately makes pretty much every location feel the same at the same point in time. Edit: Good to hear it's more like Fallout than Oblivion. More variation sounds good too, since all the caves/dungeons in Oblivion quickly started to feel the same to me.

Fast travel to any previous location is awful. Should've kept it between cities Morrowind style (not through the map), with mark and recall. Why, already explained well enough in the thread.

And less skills yet again. Elder Scrolls continues to become "refined".

Hoping the animation and floaty feeling is improved, and dungeons aren't in-n-out in less than 5 minutes again.

The "intelligent" stuff -- not buying it or getting hyped after I heard the same thing about NPCs in Oblivion.

I'll still buy it at full price. One of the few series I can say that about. If it is to Oblivion what Oblivion is to Morrowind though it'll be the last time.

gstaff

Scaling is similar to what we had in Fallout 3. See the comment I put in our official forums

Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom