• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris has been purchased (yes, purchased) 425 million times on mobile

Accoun

You want to pay for Tetris when there are thousands Flash based copies for free?

Well, for one, Flash sucks. Although, I'd rather play a freeware standalone fangame, like Nullpomino. These days they probably have better rules than the official games.
Also, it'd be nice to have good portable Tetris without resorting to homebrew.

Even if it's actually a quarter of that number, that's still 100 million+ idiots who bought a twitch puzzle game that has no buttons. It boggles my mind how people can buy these classic games designed around buttons in their touch phones. Makes zero sense to me.

Rocky

Banned
I can't recall the exact details but I think Tetris on Gameboy was the first version of the game in which the rights- the proper rights- unlike the one Tengen had of the game- to publish the title with Atari. According to the Wiki Nintendo sued Tengen but the water was still muddy about where Tetris was.

I'll have to look up the exact details.

The sad thing about all that is that the Tengen version of the game was superior to the crap Nintendo put out in every way. It was an arcade perfect translation.

I have the Tengen NES cart and its still my favorite version of Tetris. It only cost me a quarter on wheel game on the Seaside Heights boardwalk.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well when I got my mother an iPad Tetris was one of the first games she looked for because she knew the name. Just a pity the mobile version sucks total balls.

Garcia

Good lord . . . Has anyone done a comparison between all gross sales on consoles compared to mobile? Over 400 million could be almost twice as every console unit sold (portables included).

Did Pajitnov get any of that? He could be a billionaire.

I've just had a look and it seems that Tetris Holdings LLC owns the rights to the series (presumably they licence it out to EA). Can't seem to find out what (if any) position Pajitnov holds within the company though.

EDIT - according to Wikipedia he's the co-owner. He must have hundreds of millions of dollars from the game by now. I wonder if he's lived off it ever since the Game Boy days.

def sim

Even if it's actually a quarter of that number, that's still 100 million+ idiots who bought a twitch puzzle game that has no buttons. It boggles my mind how people can buy these classic games designed around buttons in their touch phones. Makes zero sense to me.

Not every game is a tetris tournament! Sometimes we just want to kill time at the train, dmv, post office, or whatever area we're stuck in.

leadbelly

Banned
EDIT - according to Wikipedia he's the co-owner. He must have hundreds of millions of dollars from the game by now. I wonder if he's lived off it ever since the Game Boy days.

As I mentioned in my previous post, he never had the rights to the game back then. It was the property of the Soviet government. Communism.

Takao

Banned
The version on iPhone is an abomination, I feel bad for my nearly half a billion brothers and sisters.

"Mobile" probably includes the feature phone releases. Tetris was really one of the few playable games on those old things.

Tetris will be like chess, card games, etc.

Eternal

"Mobile" probably includes the feature phone releases. Tetris was really one of the few playable games on those old things.

Yeah this is likely true. A bunch of people even had the Tetris demo preinstalled on their phones pre-smartphone age and probably bought it from there

And it doesn't come close to how popular it was when it first came out. I never heard of seen anyone playing Tetris Mobile.

There were billions of these and other clones around

701041932_963.jpg

Shengar

I don't have any problem with this, since people actually purchased it. Which mean they know the content of value they should expect from the purchase, I like the mind-numbning, content of value of free-to-play.

425 million is super cool - Tetris is definitely one of the pillars of the puzzle game franchise.
425 million * $0.99 purchase from App store = $420.75 million in gross revenue * 70% goes to the publisher = $294.5 million in revenue from purchases

It should be noted that this figure includes ALL mobile releases of Tetris, including stuff pre-iPhone:

GamesBeat: How much of that is really recent? It sounds like a lot of it would be on smartphones?

Rogers: It’s really spread over the whole period where phones have become able to play games. That first happened in Japan. Then it sprang up in the U.S. and Korea and other places. That’s a total number over the last 14 years or so.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
Not surprising since it's a simple game works fine with touch controls, I know many hate the iOS/Androird version of it but I never had issues playing on my phone from time to time.

And it probably doesn't come close to how popular it was when it first came out. I never heard of seen anyone playing Tetris Mobile.

There were probably billions of these and other clones around

701041932_963.jpg

Holy shit I had those when I was a kid !

leadbelly

Banned
425 million is super cool - Tetris is definitely one of the pillars of the puzzle game franchise.

Although it should be noted that this figure includes ALL mobile releases of Tetris, including stuff pre-iPhone:

Well, it doesn't take a whole lot of processing power. I guess that was part of the genius of the game.

It is simple technically (even when it first came out} which means any piece of hardware can play it, but even more important, it is simple in terms of gameplay which means any person can play it,

Brilliantly simple and extremely addictive.

Goldrusher

We even have a Tetris game show here in Flanders.

It's been on the air for over 20 years (over 4000 episodes) and counting, and the show has a market share of 45%!

The game:

- 1 host, 2 contestants
- host asks a question, and the first to correctly answer gets a couple blocks
- this rewards you with points, but the main goal is to use the blocks to clear lines in the game (and if you're ahead, to make it harder for the other player)

- there's also a solo round, in which both contestants play by themselves, and have to answer the same 5 questions
- in this round, you're given a theme/hint about the question beforehand; and you pick the order of the questions yourself
- the first question, if answered correctly, gives you 1 block
- up to 5 blocks for the 5th question
(eg. a question about a movie you know, you give 5 blocks; about a sport you know nothing about, 1 block)

- finally, there's a similar round with both players
- a hint is given before each question, the first to react and to give a good answer gets points/blocks, a wrong answer and you lose points

blokken_forlife_bryandewever.jpg

- the winner has to play a final round
- the goal is to find an 8 letter word, in 120 seconds
- you're given a subtle hint, and placing blocks rewards you with letters of the word to help you even more
- clearing a line rewards you with €1000 each time

- win this round and you're playing in the next episode as well
- winning 3 episodes rewards you with an additional prize
- the record is 11 episodes

2450FD17FC32082D32E602699F520_m6_q90_cWdqWSGcF.jpg

RM8

Buying a Game Boy bundled with Tetris was more expensive than paying a couple of dollars on a device you already own, though. I'm happy for the Tetris brand, I love Tetris, but it's pretty bad on mobile :(

It should be more of a mystery when Tetris does not sell. Everyone loves Tetris. Your mom loves Tetris. Even your dog loves Tetris.

DryvBy

I know it says purchased but I wonder if this is including the free copy they gave users a month or two ago. I have a copy of it and I never bought it.

Top Bottom