• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Texas Gun Owners Worry That Open Carry Is Backfiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

Even in the wild west they wouldn't let you just carry everywhere you wanted, those old cowboys would be calling gun nuts of today a bunch of crazy morons.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/956035
So great:
In fact, many of those same cities have far less burdensome gun control today than they did back in the 1800s.

Guns were obviously widespread on the frontier. Out in the untamed wilderness, you needed a gun to be safe from bandits, natives, and wildlife. In the cities and towns of the West, however, the law often prohibited people from toting their guns around. A visitor arriving in Wichita, Kansas in 1873, the heart of the Wild West era, would have seen signs declaring, "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters, and Get a Check."

A check? That's right. When you entered a frontier town, you were legally required to leave your guns at the stables on the outskirts of town or drop them off with the sheriff, who would give you a token in exchange. You checked your guns then like you'd check your overcoat today at a Boston restaurant in winter. Visitors were welcome, but their guns were not.

wildfire

Banned
Heh..that's a backfire.

6XHMEFl.gif

I thought businesses would have loved having the awesome combo of overhanging belly, tacticool camo and/or cargo shorts, and modded AR-15 hanging around. It would give every place the Mogadishu ambience that is all the rage in retail.

I like the cut of your jib.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how stores banning concealed handguns will deter CHL owners from carrying. The weapon is CONCEALED so they can walk into any store they want and no one will know they are carrying unless stores put in metal detectors at the entrances. It's not like CHL owners announced to everyone they had a weapon on them as they walked into every store. The reason Target and other stores are openly banning concealed handguns is to make the anti-gun crowd have peace of mind. So at the end of the day everyone wins from a mentality standpoint. Anti gun people are happy that stores are banning people from carrying, and CHL carriers can continue to carry guns into stores that banned them because they are concealed and they'll never know guns are being brought in. Ignorance is bliss y'all. 30.06 on a door is essentially cosmetic and meant to give everyone the best of both worlds

lednerg

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how stores banning concealed handguns will deter CHL owners from carrying. The weapon is CONCEALED so they can walk into any store they want and no one will know they are carrying unless stores put in metal detectors at the entrances. It's not like CHL owners announced to everyone they had a weapon on them as they walked into every store. The reason Target and other stores are openly banning concealed handguns is to make the anti-gun crowd have peace of mind. So at the end of the day everyone wins from a mentality standpoint. Anti gun people are happy that stores are banning people from carrying, and CHL carriers can continue to carry guns into stores that banned them because they are concealed and they'll never know guns are being brought in. Ignorance is bliss y'all

If they use them, I gotta imagine they're supremely fucked. No?

Iksenpets

Banned
If they use them, I gotta imagine they're supremely fucked. No?

If you're caught concealed carrying in a store with a 30.06 sign you'd be charged with trespassing. Not a serious offense, but a definite deterrent.

Also, googling to find that out lead me to find that you can buy these signs at like Office Depot and stuff now. I kind of want to buy a couple.

lednerg

If you're caught concealed carrying in a store with a 30.06 sign you'd be charged with trespassing. Not a serious offense, but a definite deterrent.

Also, googling to find that out lead me to find that you can buy these signs at like Office Depot and stuff now. I kind of want to buy a couple.

No, I said "use". As in "shoot." You're coming into an establishment with a gun you're not allowed to have and then use it? Fuck that.

No, I said "use". As in "shoot." You're coming into an establishment with a gun you're not allowed to have and then use it? Fuck that.

CHL carriers have been bringing guns in stores for years but you would never know it. They won't suddenly be more dangerous if they disobey the 30.06 sign

Iksenpets

Banned

As far as I can tell, in that case you would get trespassing plus whatever you would normally be charged with for the gun crime. It's conceivable you could shoot a guy in a Target, get acquitted on a self-defense argument, and only get slapped with trespassing. Or, get first-degree murder, plus a random trespassing charge on top.

lednerg

As far as I can tell, in that case you would get trespassing plus whatever you would normally be charged with for the gun crime. It's conceivable you could shoot a guy in a Target, get acquitted on a self-defense argument, and only get slapped with trespassing. Or, get first-degree murder, plus a random trespassing charge on top.

I don't know Texas case law as it is, and this is a new thing. Guess we'll find out soon...

Future

There is hope for society yet. There's gotta be more people no wanting to stare at guns than those that want to display them. Only those that want to display them are incredibly vocal... Because of course they are. They are the only ones that care

Society rebellion is the greatest thing.

oh wow $13.99 for a pack of four!

nilbog21

Banned
I'm confused, why are businesses putting up both signs if they are against open carry?

Also, how often are concealed weapons actually used? It must be a really small number

nicanica

I'm confused why are businesses putting up both signs if they are against open carry?

From what I understand,

30.06 = against concealed carry
30.07 = against open carry

they already are going to put up a sign to say "no open carry" but on the way are also picking up the 30.06 out of convenience.

I think its more akin to: "don't bring guns in here at all."

As someone who lives in Washington state, a state which has had open carry literally forever and where nobody walks around strapped just because except cops, I find you Texans to be quite hilarious. It's not even a thing up here, why is it such a big deal to you guys?

Reven

I wonder if they can be punished for ignoring the signs there. I've seen signs in Utah but it's not illegal to ignore them, I often carry concealed in places that have posted signs. All they can do is ask people to leave, and if they refuse then they can be arrested for tresspassing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As someone who lives in Washington state, a state which has had open carry literally forever and where nobody walks around strapped just because except cops, I find you Texans to be quite hilarious. It's not even a thing up here, why is it such a big deal to you guys?
They must all be cowards that simply cannot feel safe without a fire arm? I'm not sure what else it could be.

Replicant

Oh. So many businesses in the US now realises that people are uncomfortable seeing some gun-totting assholes prancing around in their establishment like wild wild west gone wrong?

Who knew?!

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how stores banning concealed handguns will deter CHL owners from carrying. The weapon is CONCEALED so they can walk into any store they want and no one will know they are carrying unless stores put in metal detectors at the entrances. It's not like CHL owners announced to everyone they had a weapon on them as they walked into every store. The reason Target and other stores are openly banning concealed handguns is to make the anti-gun crowd have peace of mind. So at the end of the day everyone wins from a mentality standpoint. Anti gun people are happy that stores are banning people from carrying, and CHL carriers can continue to carry guns into stores that banned them because they are concealed and they'll never know guns are being brought in. Ignorance is bliss y'all. 30.06 on a door is essentially cosmetic and meant to give everyone the best of both worlds
People who have CHL are expected to follow laws dutifully otherwise why even bother and just cancel unlawfully. 30.06 on the door is a after the fact liability like requiring shoes in case you slip on anything

not only does open carry hurt businesses but it also hurts tourism.

Lots of tourists thinking of visiting the US will go "hmm, open carry nutters, lets go to a safer State instead"

PBY

Banned
If you open carry, you're not a good person- I might be missing something, but not sure what the point of blatant intimidation is.

Someone feel free to set me straight.

platocplx

I could find so many reasons why business wouldnt want to have open carry.
The biggest one is that as many people over inflate their driving skills also over inflate their skills of being able to handle a weapon, especially when its an emotionally charged situation where seconds can mean the difference between life or death where many times if they are not vigorously trained they probably will either shoot a bystander and possibly cause more loss of life or for example they may want to play hero and shoot a shoplifter when the use of that much force isnt necessary. Way better to be safe than sorry.

andthebeatgoeson

So we have gun nerds that no one wants to be around? Fuckers thought the 2nd amendment gave them a cool pass. Good, no one wants you around.

FLEABttn

Banned
CHL carriers have been bringing guns in stores for years but you would never know it. They won't suddenly be more dangerous if they disobey the 30.06 sign

I'm entertained by the probable overlap of people who say "Enforce the gun laws we have" and people who violate this specific gun law.

Kthulhu

Because it's Texas.

If you open carry, you're not a good person- I might be missing something, but not sure what the point of blatant intimidation is.

Someone feel free to set me straight.
Intimidation can come from desire for power or fear. Both are pathetic, but only one is innately evil.

Kthulhu

How do you open carry a handgun??? Like a Wild West style holster?

This is madness.

More or less. For example you can't just stuff a gun in your pocket and call it a day. At my college they said that you can't bring anything in except for handguns.

It's still crazy though. I don't have a problem with concealed carry in most places, but open carry is barbaric.

NR1

I live in the Dallas area, and I can confirm this to be very true. I worked at this bank years ago when in college, and I was really taken aback by this HUGE sign posted on the door. At first I thought it was a public notice related to banking regulations or just an advertisement. FYI, they also have (had?) an rifle case in the lobby with about 4 civil war era rifles on display for decades.

21B31F73-8C1C-4678-B772-5BC3F133B97C.jpg

86ABDE36-A71F-4067-A572-E8AB2A8D49B3.jpg

I have noticed similarly large signs at car dealerships, restaurants, and stores. The are very noticeable.

entremet

I have a casual internet friend that I met on another forum.

He lives in Texas and is a gun zealot. Dude says he's boycotting any businesses that do this lol.

Walmart allows open carry, so he'll be sticking with them.

Ekdrm2d1

The majority of businesses are against the new law. You see posted signs at every other business.

Some of the signs:

30.06:
2w6ckld.jpg

o3Qz2uY.jpg

30.07:
txoc3007-web-ready.jpg

open-carry-new-sign.jpg

It makes me smile with joy every time I see one of these.

oti

Banned
Yesterday I saw the newest episode of Heroes Reborn (hey, it's an OK show, I watched Fargo S2 after that so be cool, OK?) and seeing people strolling into a super market buying rifles as if they were toilet paper rolls made me realize that I never ever want to deal with that. Just watching that happen on TV made me uncomfortable.

zma1013

Ah so this will be next week's South Park episode. I can see it now, Randy and Co. forming a large protest group outside of the bank because they can't go in and show everyone in the bank their guns.

You guys don't have to worry about fighting off Mexican killers and rapists in Washington /s

I have a casual internet friend that I met on another forum.

He lives in Texas and is a gun zealot. Dude says he's boycotting any businesses that do this lol.

Walmart allows open carry, so he'll be sticking with them.

It's funny he thinks he's the one refusing to go to those places when, chances are, they're refusing to allow him in

Ekdrm2d1

My neighbor on Nextdoor.com said we've been having some crime lately. He wants to buy a gun for protection. It's fear that brings-in guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom