• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That game where one hour turns into ten

So I just finished playing a game of civ vi and I realised that I got into the old habit of booting it up and thinking I had only played an hour or two, but low and behold it was closer to six. It seems civ games have a strange quality that seem to bend my -and many others- sense of time.

What games do this to you?

So I just finished playing a game of civ vi and I realised that I got into the old habit of booting it up and thinking I had only played an hour or two, but low and behold it was closer to six. It seems civ games have a strange quality that seem to bend my -and many others- sense of time.

What games do this to you?

Like you say, Civ is the worst offender for this for me, but Cities and Skyrim both make me completely lose track of time too.

Every good 4x does this to a degree to me although the games that really surprise me are Terreria and Starbound. Both have had play sessions where I am like 'I built a house and fought some monsters in this mine, it can't have been longer then an hour' and it turns out it was three.

TheGrue

Saw the thread title and knew your post was going to be about Civilization 6. While my wife and I were still dating, her brother was over and I showed him a game I thought he'd really like. The PC was in our bedroom and we were both in bed falling asleep and he just wouldn't leave. That game? Civilization 2.

Fbh

The souls franchise is currently one of the only ones that still has this effect on me.

"Well I'll play a bit.......... oh look at that I killed 4 bosses and it's now 2AM"

Mupod

I once gifted Civ V to someone from here. Not even 3 days later I checked his steam profile and he'd put 40 hours into the game. I felt like I'd done something terrible.

FFXIV, Endless legend.

In fairness, I only played the latter a couple of times, but that's because I couldn't really afford to lose any more entire Sundays.

Total War definitely has that one more turn syndrome for me. Plus the newish Warhammer one is really amazing so it doesn't help. Civ has never really stolen my heart the way Total War has. I'm addicted to seeing my massove armies on the field in all their glory.

bosseye

Battlefield 1 at the moment. The evening flies by in 20-30 minute chunks of Conquest, JUST ONE MORE GO. Awesome game.

sappyday

Souls game. I somehow play over 100 hours on each even though it doesn't feel like it. Although I do leave it on standby sometimes but only like an hour each session.

vesirott

Neo Member
Stupid Red Alert...I actually lost a day once because of that game. Played it over 20hrs without realising that time actually moves.

Nyx

CvDPzHOWgAEcRVB.jpg

Could easily spend an entire day playing this.

BAW

Banned
I was going to say Civilization too
Once I made the mistake of sitting down to play a few turns after a hard day's work, just to relax a bit before the next workday
Next thing I am wondering why the sun is coming up my window

Medieval: Total War. The bane of my existence.

(And I don't even play the battles, just simulate them. Have still sunk thousands of hours into it).

Too many sunrises for this game.

A pox on it.

EDIT:

Total War definitely has that one more turn syndrome for me. Plus the newish Warhammer one is really amazing so it doesn't help. Civ has never really stolen my heart the way Total War has. I'm addicted to seeing my massove armies on the field in all their glory.

I feel your glorious pain.

Slythe

As much deserved criticism as No Man's Sky gets, my 25 hours with the game were spent in very large chunks (10, 10, and 5 hours). I would start it up and plan on playing for an hour and it would be dark outside before I knew what happened.

Edit: also Demon's and Dark Souls. Both games I went on a run in the latter half, knocking out six bosses in one sitting. These games are paced to where once you get past the halfway point it's next to impossible to pull yourself away.

SubbieD

Mafia 3 doing it to me right now, oh let's just do this one racket and sleep. Oh why the f am I driving in the bayou doing shitty fetch quests--oh yeah because I wanted to equally distribute all the districts and still get everyone's max earnings top.

Bloodborne too, especially on NG, I'd just grind here and there and It'd be hours.

Nbz

Any Metroidvania. I just can't get myself to stop at any point. The exploration drives me forward and its so hard to take a break

woopWOOP

Had the same thing with Civ4. "Eh, just one more turn... okay one more.... wait, how late is it?!"

A few more minutes of Team Fortress 2, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros sometimes also ended up in another hour or two.

Cracklox

I MAY have been guilty of the opposite where I'm signed onto an MMO or something and in 10 hours, I get about an hour of actual playing and the rest chatting, bullshitting, AFKing etc

To answer your question though, like most everyone who's played them Civ. Its sorta why I'm scared to play them anymore, especially after a stint on 4 made a couple of weeks disappear a few years ago. It started to get a little too unhealthy.

Top Bottom