• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That metroidvania danger - a zero progress session

Soodanim

So the dungeons are shit because you got stuck in two places which apparently was totally your fault? Come on now.
There's a hole in the door, you see an unlit torch through that hole. You didn't think it was logical to shoot a lit torch through that hole? And yes, your wooden equipment can catch fire (as you mentioned), but wouldn't be logical that only the tip of the arrow would catch fire is that's the only thing that touches the fire? I dunno, maybe you were tired, but it's totally your fault and not the game.
I specifically explained that walking up to a head height flame with 2 wooden objects at your waist and the tip of one of those objects catching fire but not the rest is not intuitive because I knew someone would say that. Trying to shoot a flame arrow through the hole was the first thing I tried, but that puzzle was about blue flames and you can't produce those on demand as far as I'm aware. I spent the whole time looking. For a way to get a flame to appear in front of the hole to shoot through as is the way in every other 3D Zelda or an alternative way into the room which would mean the hole served as a window and nothing more.

The one where I forgot I said I forgot, that's admission of fault. There are people out there that didn't. But why did I forget? It's out of the way right up at the top, with a shitty wireframe 3D map you can't control the view of past a basic rotation as my reminder and the however many possible rotations of the parts that block shit off as the obstacle between even getting near it.

I don't like how the dungeons work in general, none of it has clicked with me so far. Havent even got into the flying one yet, but maybe I'll enjoy that and the castle more.

Looks like you haven't played it. There's only ONE intact glass tube in the whole game, it's completely logical to try to use a bomb to break the glass. Specially if there's nowhere else to go. You're supposed to try using logic to solve puzzles. You see this big ass tube, the first and only one, there's fish outside, the friggin map says you are in a new area. Gee, I wonder if I could go outside this tube, if only I had something to break it.

Also, the title screen demo doesn't show the tube, the users above are wrong.
I haven't played it, I was going by what I read in this thread. Does the glass maybe show any cracks? I'd have to see it to have an informed opinion of it.

ReyVGM

I specifically explained that walking up to a head height flame with 2 wooden objects at your waist and the tip of one of those objects catching fire but not the rest is not intuitive because I knew someone would say that. Trying to shoot a flame arrow through the hole was the first thing I tried, but that puzzle was about blue flames and you can't produce those on demand as far as I'm aware. I spent the whole time looking. For a way to get a flame to appear in front of the hole to shoot through as is the way in every other 3D Zelda or an alternative way into the room which would mean the hole served as a window and nothing more.

The one where I forgot I said I forgot, that's admission of fault. There are people out there that didn't. But why did I forget? It's out of the way right up at the top, with a shitty wireframe 3D map you can't control the view of past a basic rotation as my reminder and the however many possible rotations of the parts that block shit off as the obstacle between even getting near it.

I don't like how the dungeons work in general, none of it has clicked with me so far. Havent even got into the flying one yet, but maybe I'll enjoy that and the castle more.

I'll give you that, the 3D maps suck. But you don't really need them for beasts since they are so small. The castle, however...

But you didn't think the tip of a ready to shoot arrow would catch blue flame just like it catches regular fire? I mean, I guess your equipment would catch fire if you put your body next to the flame, but just by lighting the tip (by ONLY putting the tip next to the fire) would not instantly burn your equipment.

I haven't played it, I was going by what I read in this thread. Does the glass maybe show any cracks? I'd have to see it to have an informed opinion of it.

SM is somewhat linear in a sense because the game guides you to go through specific places (as long as you don't sequence break), and literally a couple of rooms before the intact glass tube there is a destroyed tube that should give you the most obvious hint that you can break it. Maybe the OP was tired, or had played too many hours straight. That usually affects judgment, because he said he looped the place twice and if he missed the destroyed tube twice, then...

That's why I don't like metroidvania style. At some point in the game I just don't know where to go next.

You should play Guacamelee. It's in the Metroidvania style, but it always shows a waypoint for your next objective so there's never any doubt on where to head next. It's got excellent style and humour, superb combat and there's tons of secrets to find and optional content like side-missions and so on. It's one of my favourite Metroidvanias ever, and a slightly more forgiving and streamlined entry in the genre.

GenericUser

You should play Guacamelee. It's in the Metroidvania style, but it always shows a waypoint for your next objective so there's never any doubt on where to head next. It's got excellent style and humour, superb combat and there's tons of secrets to find and optional content like side-missions and so on. It's one of my favourite Metroidvanias ever, and a slightly more forgiving and streamlined entry in the genre.
I played it when it was free with PS+, thanks. Was a nice game, style was not for me but the gameplay kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

jimboton

Personally I love metroidvanias that do stuff like the Maridia tube, make the player think of creative ways to use their abilities. True, being stuck with no progress for a long time does suck, but playing a game where you know you'll never be asked to do something even remotely clever (without the game heavy handedly hinting at it) cause the designers are deathly afraid someone somewhere might get stuck sucks even more. Getting stuck is a risk playing a metroidvania for the first time should involve, they're supposed to be adventures as well as action games after all...

Then again you don't actually need to ever get stuck, don't feel like figuring it out? google it, ask in a forum. Problem insta-solved 99,99% of the time.

PARANO1A

This feeling is very relatable. I can't do Souls games because of the feeling of wasting my time and progress... But I love most metroidvania games where you chip away, always getting a little further ahead, like the world is one giant puzzle.

Ori is a good example of this done right. Tough but never feeling lost. I gave up on Hollow Night because I hit a wall and lost a lot of progress, which I can't help but feel I was better off using the time doing pretty much anything else.

Crayolan

Well, I just looked it up. You have to
power bomb the glass tube.
How are you supposed to know that? It's totally contrary to everything the game has taught you up to that point.

I don't remember where but there is another already-broken glass tube somewhere in the game which is a hint. Also, if you pay attention you'll notice that while you're inside the glass tube you're in a different region than when you're on either side of it. That should be enough to make you think the tube is suspicious.

Not to say figuring that out is easy, but there are at least some clues given to you naturally. It took me a while to figure that out myself, but I felt pretty clever once I got it.

Soodanim

I'll give you that, the 3D maps suck. But you don't really need them for beasts since they are so small. The castle, however...

But you didn't think the tip of a ready to shoot arrow would catch blue flame just like it catches regular fire? I mean, I guess your equipment would catch fire if you put your body next to the flame, but just by lighting the tip (by ONLY putting the tip next to the fire) would not instantly burn your equipment.

SM is somewhat linear in a sense because the game guides you to go through specific places (as long as you don't sequence break), and literally a couple of rooms before the intact glass tube there is a destroyed tube that should give you the most obvious hint that you can break it. Maybe the OP was tired, or had played too many hours straight. That usually affects judgment, because he said he looped the place twice and if he missed the destroyed tube twice, then...
I've never been in a situation in BotW where I've had to manually light an arrow on a flame at all, so I had no idea that it was part of the possible actions in the game. I saw no NPC mention it or any possible clue. In every game I've played fire/flames do nothing but cast light, set you on fire, or in the case of old 3D Zelda light arrows as you shoot through. There's no button pressed interaction or anything, which is why it bothers me. I've been conditioned to not expect things from a game not shown to be possible, I'm obviously different to other people though. I used to be the same in Metal Gear Solid games too. There were things possible in 2 and 3 I didn't think would ever be in games, but by that point I'd already come to expect them to not be possible.

Ah there it is, the clue. That's reasonable, although I must admit that similarly to above, I'm not 100% sure I'm think to do it as I'm so used to not being able to impact my surroundings in games that I'm surprised when I can. It's usually "Am I playing Red Faction, yes or no?" and if I'm not I expect nothing. I should really find a legitimate way to play Super Metroid properly without playing Nintendo's bad ports that are squashed or 50hz.

edit:
Just saw the glass tube room in a video and there's a platform above it, that's not bad at all IMO. Of course my perspective is influenced by knowing the solution, but between a broken tube and a platform above indicating it's more than a mere tunnel room I'd say that's fine.

A random thought that goes against what I've been saying in this post: I never had a problem with the barrel in Sonic 3.

ReyVGM

I've never been in a situation in BotW where I've had to manually light an arrow on a flame at all, so I had no idea that it was part of the possible actions in the game. I saw no NPC mention it or any possible clue. In every game I've played fire/flames do nothing but cast light, set you on fire, or in the case of old 3D Zelda light arrows as you shoot through. There's no button pressed interaction or anything, which is why it bothers me. I've been conditioned to not expect things from a game not shown to be possible, I'm obviously different to other people though. I used to be the same in Metal Gear Solid games too. There were things possible in 2 and 3 I didn't think would ever be in games, but by that point I'd already come to expect them to not be possible.

Ok, at first, yes I was playing BotW like every other game. The fact that my actions impacted a lot of the environment, and the fact that physics and chemistry behaved 'realistically' didn't set in until a bit later in the game. But in BotW, if you think of something, you probably can do it.

I get what you mean. Most games have rigid physics. Stuff you can do in real life don't work in games, stuff that works in one game doesn't work in another. Just like in past Zelda games you shot an arrow though a torch and it would catch fire, but another 3D Zelda (TP, or SS?) that didn't work. But in BotW you can pretty much do anything. Even faux physics stuff like throwing a pepper in fire to create an updraft. You don't even need to throw it in fire, you can just hit it with a flame sword to light it, or use a fire chu jelly and hit it with a normal sword to light it. There's a lot of stuff you can do, never assume you can't do it.

Baleoce

Reminds me of the NES / Master System era. There was this one bit in Alex kidd in miracle world where if you didn't have a certain bonus item, you'd have a sweaty time getting through this:

ebnyYpk.jpg

nkarafo

Reminds me of the NES / Master System era. There was this one bit in Alex kidd in miracle world where if you didn't have a certain bonus item, you'd have a sweaty time getting through this:

ebnyYpk.jpg
It looks hard but the spikes can't hurt the top of your head. So all you need to do is press against the spikes above you.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I got sooo lucky with finding how to make progress in an area in SotN.

Its not particularly obtuse or specific, but I had neber even thought of doing it so I was surprised to find it out.

Practice makes progress. Sometimes it's like learning another language, sometimes it's like solving an equation in your subconscious. It all adds up.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I believe you pass another broken tube on the way there. Thats what gave me the idea to blow up the other one.

Top Bottom