• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS is still a killer retro machine in 2024

Banjo64

cumsessed
My N3DS hasn’t seen significant use for a while now. The last game I played from start to finish was a replay of OOT 3 years ago. In my head, the screen is terrible (I feel that’s still the case for its native 3D games).

The other day I was contemplating playing A Link to the Past and Minish Cap to completion for the first time. I booted up some GBA and SNES games on my Switch Oled with its beautiful screen having already played a few N64 games on it. But the games didn’t look right to me. They look blown up, smeared, just poor overall.

I charged my N3DS and got cracking. The screen is only LCD and it’s small, but the games look and play excellently on it. Miles better than the Switch Oled. A real d-pad, the form factor, front facing speakers. I’d say that the pixelated screen somehow enhances the look of the games, it’s as if I’ve gone back in time to play them as they were originally meant to be played.

I can’t wait to play both of these games for the first time with hardware that does them justice.

Don’t sleep on the 3DS if you’re looking for a great pocket retro machine in 2024.

Filben

Odd coincidence. Just yesterday I was dusting off my modded 3DS to play Bravely Default. Dumped the game pretty soon and switched to Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology (which is no longer to get, apart from horrendous after market prices, thanks to Nintendo shutting down their store). While not being a fan of JRPGs in general, I really enjoy this one so far.

Also installed a SNES and Gameboy emulator on it. I have the New 3DS non-XL and it has the perfect pocket format. I feel like a little boy again who loved to play with his classic grey GameBoy back then.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Funny, I got mine out the other day too. I was thinking my 5 year old could play some stuff on it as I’m not quite sure I want the Switch undocked around the house in those grubby hands yet. I forgot how many virtual console and ambassador games I had on it, and Samus Returns was still suspended in the cart slot. I couldn’t help but start up a bit of Balloon Fight for 5 minutes…RIP Iwata-sama

Soodanim

Gold Member
I never invested too much into a library for my 3DS XL because it wasn't particularly comfortable to use. I even bought a grip accessory and the 2nd stick thing, but neither really helped too much. What I really need to do is rip whatever I need from mine and emulate so that I can play on a proper controller (and at proper frame rates and resolutions in some cases).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Action-y NES and GB games are a bit of a pain to play on it, due to the small buttons and the lack of a controls customization function. But the system’s library is phenomenal, and if you put an emulator or two on it you have a perfect little retro machine.

LordCBH

I need to install custom firmware on mine, cause all the DS/3ds games I want to play are stupid expensive now. Now that the eshop is dead I have no issues with finding alternative means to get them since I literally can’t buy them new and support the studios now

Banjo64

cumsessed
I refuse to consider the 3DS retro, your attempt at making me feel old is not working OP. Nice try.
I just mean it plays retro games very well (SNES & GBA) ❤️

I can still remember when people were shitting on the 3DS and weren’t really fond of it, but years later, it’s suddenly a killer machine.
Not me G, I’ve owned 5 of them over the course of its life 2x 2DS, 1 OG, Yoshi 3DS XL before finally settling in the standard sized New 3DS.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I refuse to consider the 3DS retro, your attempt at making me feel old is not working OP. Nice try.
I still have all my street pass shit on my 3DSXL (note: not my original 3DS, which I gave to my nephew when I got the XL) from my trip to Japan. I went to Japan almost 12 years ago.

Krathoon

Anyone know of a way to buff a scratch off the case of a 3DS?

I dropped it at PAX long ago and got a scratch on it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have a new 2ds xl with double ips screens. I really like it but want to hunt down a new 3ds xl to compare.

I agree its a killer machine specially with homebrew. You can pretty much play every mainline pokemon game made on it. Aside from switch ofc.

LordCBH

I have a new 2ds xl with double ips screens. I really like it but want to hunt down a new 3ds xl to compare.

I agree its a killer machine specially with homebrew. You can pretty much play every mainline pokemon game made on it. Aside from switch ofc.
Can you install the DS Pokémon games to the sd card?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yea it is OP
The 3ds has OG scanlines.
One of the best portable screens on the market for retro 240P gameing
Only bested by the insane analogue pocket screen

Minsc

Gold Member
I like my 3DS XL a lot too, but that screen. Even at it's best it's a long way from the OLED Deck or OLED Switch.

And the 3D which I also love, you always seem to get that weird glare/double/triple image on smaller bright objects when there's just black around them.

Plus the LCD is ASS. Did I say that already? I don't know how you think it's good, but it's not. I played 2D NES games on it, and the amount of blur when you scroll the screen in any direction is ungodly.

BLURRLY AS FUCK. Actual brick textures are unrecognizable while they are scrolling on NES games, the damn screen sucks majorly.

Haven't used my 3DS systems much lately, but they're still plugged up with my other handhelds. Just so happens I've been thinking about playing some of my 3DS backlog again.

amigastar

It's also a stellar Dragon Quest machine.
What Dragon Quests are available on it? DQ 7 and 8 and...
I've played through DQ7 and absolutely loved it. Still have to play DQ8.
Oh yeah and DQ 4,5,6 from the DS are also playable.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I have one but I find the games to be too expensive to really invest on it but the true motive it gets played rarely is that I'm not really into portable gaming.

The stylus and dual screens make this my favorite way to play Terraria, even better than PC imo.

I have a new 3DS with etched white face plates, and a galaxy 3DSXL, love them both but the smaller one gets more usage. Phenomenal for NES/SNES emulation.

Hudo

What Dragon Quests are available on it? DQ 7 and 8 and...
I've played through DQ7 and absolutely loved it. Still have to play DQ8.
Oh yeah and DQ 4,5,6 from the DS are also playable.
3DS has DS BC, so DQ4, DQ5, DQ6, DQ7 (3DS), DQ8 (3DS), DQ9 and the 3DS version of DQ11.

Filben

Guys, how long is a fully charged battery of the new 3ds expected to last? I thought it's draining rather fast so I stopped the time and playing Radiant Historia (so nothing fancy like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D) the battery lasts roughly 4 and a half hours. Is this within normal range or should the battery last longer?

Last edited:

Caffeine

Guys, how long is a fully charged battery of the new 3ds expected to last? I thought it's draining rather fast so I stopped the time and playing Radiant Historia the battery lasts roughly 4 and a half hours. Is this within normal range or should the battery last longer?
about 5 hours or so depending on brightness and how high sound is set. ds games should be about 10 hours. I generally keep my screen on power saving setting and low brightness half volume. you can also play with the charging cable in.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
3DS has DS BC, so DQ4, DQ5, DQ6, DQ7 (3DS), DQ8 (3DS), DQ9 and the 3DS version of DQ11.
Also spin-offs like Dragon Quest Monsters (Terry's Wonderland, Joker, Joker 2, Mystery Key), Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, Slime Morimori 3, Rocket Slime, and Dragon Quest Wars

Top Bottom