• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4th Democratic Primary Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit-Bit

I've been keeping out of politics because I can't really vote. But just curious, how exactly does the DNC go about selecting their candidate that the whole party is supposed to be supporting?

Is it based on who they think will win(IE their favorite person) or is it based on polls that they run?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
When she's confronted on this she constantly tries to manipulate the audience by changing it to a subject that pulls at your emotions like 9/11 or Barack Obama. It's gross.

The New York Times joined with Clinton in pretending "[t]he competition to claim Mr. Obama's political mantle was the dominant theme of the night," when, in fact, the night's dominant theme was how Hillary Clinton is more than willing to wrap herself in the legacy of the man who politically crushed and sidelined her in 2008 — in order to crush and sideline a new competitor who is even more of a principled outsider than the first.

via James Poulos

But she hasn't ruled put being vp. She just ruled out running for president. We can dream.

I want her in the white house even if it's just as VP. There is no way Hilary is gonna put another woman on the ticket so the best chance is with Bernie. If Bernie only does 1 term, Warren would be set up nicely for 2020.

Blader

Didn't like how Hilary responded to the goldman sachs comment by Bernie

You mean by not responding to it at all?

I might be remembering wrong, but I think when Bernie raised the point, she completely ignored it and talked about something else. I mean, what's she going to say? "No, I didn't take that money?"

I want her in the white house even if it's just as VP. There is no way Hilary is gonna put another woman on the ticket so the best chance is with Bernie. If Bernie only does 1 term, Warren would be set up nicely for 2020.

Its sad that you can put two men on a ticket no problem, but not two women. Kind of wish Hillary would just do it anyway, because she's the best selection to fill out the ticket and excite the liberal base..but I get why it is pretty much politically impossible.

Its sad that you can put two men on a ticket no problem, but not two women. Kind of wish Hillary would just do it anyway, because she's the best selection to fill out the ticket and excite the liberal base..but I get why it is pretty much politically impossible.

Who would be a likely Hilary running mate? O'Malley?

Who would be a likely Hilary running mate? O'Malley?

It won't be O'malley imo. He doesn't really bring anything to the ticket and personally I think he's dug into Hillary too much for her to do him any favors. If he was more popular she would have overlooked it but I don't think she will.

Julian Castro and Time Kaine are the names I've heard thrown around. But for me Castro is way too inexperienced and Kaine is ok but not really anything exciting.

It won't be O'malley imo. He doesn't really bring anything to the ticket and personally I think he's dug into Hillary too much for her to do him any favors. If he was more popular she would have overlooked it but I don't think she will.

Julian Castro and Time Kaine are the names I've heard thrown around. But for me Castro is way too inexperienced and Kaine is ok but not really anything exciting.

I haven't heard anything but what about Terry McAuliffe?

I haven't heard anything but what about Terry McAuliffe?

He'd be a solid pick, he'd be a solid backup QB for sure, but my feeling is Hillary will go young. The parties inability to form a proper state level ground game has hurt their pool of talent. She'll likely push somebody to the forefront just because there is a desperate need for some new faces. I think she'll go Castro or Corey Booker. I'm sort of against it because if anything happens to Hillary, I don't know if either are ready to take on being president. I'd prefer a safer option like Kaine or McAuliffe.

C0unter

Didn't like how Hilary responded to the goldman sachs comment by Bernie

Yea same, she has deflected the question every time it's been asked. Should probably figure out an answer for it considering that line of attack is going to continue even if she's nominated.

He'd be a solid pick, he'd be a solid backup QB for sure, but my feeling is Hillary will go young. The parties inability to form a proper state level ground game has hurt their pool of talent. She'll likely push somebody to the forefront just because there is a desperate need for some new faces. I think she'll go Castro or Corey Booker. I'm sort of against it because if anything happens to Hillary, I don't know if either are ready to take on being president. I'd prefer a safer option like Kaine or McAuliffe.

Corey Booker would be a solid choice. He seems to have that bulldog mentality that you want out of a running mate.

sphagnum

Banned
I've been keeping out of politics because I can't really vote. But just curious, how exactly does the DNC go about selecting their candidate that the whole party is supposed to be supporting?

Is it based on who they think will win(IE their favorite person) or is it based on polls that they run?

There's no specific method, it just comes down to whoever a consensus forms around. Hillary had connections, a good history with the party, big financial resources, good polling, etc.

Party establishments also usually inherently want to support more moderate candidates who they believe will be more presentable in the general election, because the goal of the party careerists is to win.

When she's confronted on this she constantly tries to manipulate the audience by changing it to a subject that pulls at your emotions like 9/11 or Barack Obama. It's gross.

Yeah it really was quite embarrassing. She really needs to have some strategy given she's been hit with it several times and has flopped spectacularly each time. I feel her though, as there's really not much she can say about the issue besides using dishonest deflections and just changing the subject entirely.

Geist-

It's funny you say that because if she does start to lose, convincing Warren to run with her would absolutely split Bernie's base and guarantee Hilldawg a win.

Wouldn't help her in the General, but desperate people do desperate things.

Bernie pandered all day on MLK Jr day! 7000 people in Alabama came out to hear him. https://berniesanders.com/press-rel...-in-south-addresses-7000-at-birmingham-rally/

7000inalabama.png

Still looks overwhelmingly white.

Meanwhile I have nowhere else to post this and it's just hilarious. The Hufftington Post needs to stop offering blog services.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/armand-wolf/why-i-a-liberal-democrat-_b_9001266.html

Why I, a Liberal Democrat, Would Rather Vote for Donald Trump than Hillary Clinton

By electing Hillary Clinton, the American people show their irrelevance and show that corporations control their elections. By electing Hillary Clinton, the American people deny their children and grandchildren of real change. And lastly, by electing Hillary Clinton, "We the people" becomes nothing more than words on a page.

Sadly, since the establishment will shove Hillary Clinton down the throats of the voters, all we're left with is Donald Trump. And while Donald Trump will unequivocally destroy the country, his election will make a statement. Donald Trump's election will show that we, the American people, choose our leaders, not the establishment. And in four years, when Bernie Sanders runs again, he will win. Then, the United States will truly see progress and change and Hillary Clinton will feel the Bern!

What are the chances of a Sanders-Warren ticket? I'd be so into that.

Bernie/Warren is infinitely more inspiring than Clinton/Castro (her rumored 1st choice for VP). In every public appearance of his that I've seen, he comes across like a frat bro who tried to clean up his act to have a political career. Not saying he actually is, but his persona, voice and speaking style convey that kind of image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom