• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 91st Academy Awards

Skyr

The nominees have just been released

IMDB link to all nominations

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Best Achievement in Directing

Thoughts? It was kind of a slow year for movies in my opinion and the nominees show it.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Big news for streaming services. Roma got ten (!) nominations... Alfonso Cuaròn helped, of course, but the point being that a movie made for internet viewers is racking up the kind of noms you usually associate with the biggest movies of the year in any format.

It's also interesting that the Coen brothers managed to squeak in with Ballad of Buster Scruggs, although their nominations are for the screenplay, music and costume design.

kunonabi

Yeah, it was a weak year. Despite seeing a crap ton of movies this year I've only seen a handful of the nominees. There's very variety this year with a lot of multiple nominations going around.

I saw:
Avengers
Black panther
Quiet place
incredibles 2
Shoplifters
Mirai
Mary Poppins
Buster Scruggs

Spiderverse winning best animated feature is going to be a crime.

Skyr

Honestly I saw just one of the nominations for Best Motion Picture of the Year, which is black panther and I never would have thought that it would be nominated.

I can't rememer a year where that happened the last time. Always saw like at least 50% of them.
Gonna have to catch up on them soon to even have a real opinion.

But as I said this was a weird year for movies for me. So little that interested me.
Great year for TV shows tho.

Horrible year for movies. Black Panther and Bohemian being nominated is a huge joke.

The only Best Picture Nominee I didn’t see is “The Favourite.”

The other 6 weren’t bad or anything, Vice and A Star Is Born are probably my favorites. but nothing truly remarkable IMO. Nothing that really impressed me.

To be dead honest, Into The Spider-Verse is better than the nominated films IMO.

Skyr

Big news for streaming services. Roma got ten (!) nominations... Alfonso Cuaròn helped, of course, but the point being that a movie made for internet viewers is racking up the kind of noms you usually associate with the biggest movies of the year in any format.

It's also interesting that the Coen brothers managed to squeak in with Ballad of Buster Scruggs, although their nominations are for the screenplay, music and costume design.

That one blew totally past by me. Gonna have to watch it tonight.

Fbh

lol at black panther being nominated.

Other than that...yeah, seems like a slow year. I've seen a few of the best picture nominations (Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, Green Book and bohemian rhapsody) and they are all pretty good but nothing really amazing IMO.
Then again I hardly agree with the oscars

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
That one blew totally past by me. Gonna have to watch it tonight.

I have yet to see it myself, but from what I understand it's up there with movies that are as much tributes to the setting as they are good stories, like Amarcord or Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's Oscar bait in the best sense: a passion project.

Javthusiast

Banned
They put black panther in best picture to appease the woke media, there is no way that mediocore movie will win it. And IF it actually does, then it will be the biggest shit move the Oscars have ever done.

While I'm fully bracing for something stupid like BlacKkKlansman winning Best Picture, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the two actual best movies of the year, The Favourite and Roma, got the most nods. The Favourite especially is the best of the bunch to me and it's great that Lanthimos is finally getting the praise he deserves. If you have to watch just one 2018 movie, make it The Favourite. Heck if you can watch 2 movies make it The Favourite and Mandy.

The only nominated movie I saw is Ready Player One lol

However, The Other Side of the Wind not getting an editing nomination is a crime. Or would be if these awards actually mattered.

kunonabi

While I'm fully bracing for something stupid like BlacKkKlansman winning Best Picture, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the two actual best movies of the year, The Favourite and Roma, got the most nods. The Favourite especially is the best of the bunch to me and it's great that Lanthimos is finally getting the praise he deserves. If you have to watch just one 2018 movie, make it The Favourite. Heck if you can watch 2 movies make it The Favourite and Mandy.

I imagine the smart play is give best picture to star is born since it appeases the gay community due to Gaga's popularity, it was a mainstream hit, and its the kind of movie the academy likes. Then you give animated feature to spider-verse since the other western animated films were weak and it has the black Spider-Man as the lead. BP picks up some of the other awards and everyone feels like their team won something.

I imagine the smart play is give best picture to star is born since it appeases the gay community due to Gaga's popularity, it was a mainstream hit, and its the kind of movie the academy likes. Then you give animated feature to spider-verse since the other western animated films were weak and it has the black Spider-Man as the lead. BP picks up some of the other awards and everyone feels like their team won something.

While I think your logic is sensible considering what we can expect from the Academy, the jig is probably already up since they they didn't nominate a woman for Best Director again and they gave up Casey Affleck the award that year. They already lost the love of that crowd so I don't know man, they might as well stop negotiating with terrorists and just give up the Best Picture to the actual Best Picture.

kunonabi

While I think your logic is sensible considering what we can expect from the Academy, the jig is probably already up since they they didn't nominate a woman for Best Director again and they gave up Casey Affleck the award that year. They already lost the love of that crowd so I don't know man, they might as well stop negotiating with terrorists and just give up the Best Picture to the actual Best Picture.

They certainly should but that haven't done that for decades now even before they let Twitter take over.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
the jig is probably already up since they they didn't nominate a woman for Best Director again

They were given the opportunity on a fucking plate this year with Leave No Trace (Debra Granik), one of the most well-received movies of the year which has been completely ignored by the academy.

These things have always been a total farce but this year takes the cake. A totally standard superhero movie gets 7 Oscar nominations because it was made by and stars black people, make no mistake as to the reason why. It's not better than most other good Marvel movies and everybody knows it.

Still, I look forward to making a little money from betting on the obvious picks as always.

They certainly should but that haven't done that for decades now even before they let Twitter take over.

I know. Rationally I know, but I can't help but hope they stop that. The Oscars have been a joke lately, but they always get me with a "this could be the year they wake up from their stupidity coma even if only for one year". It's an abusive relationship and I should just end it.

They were given the opportunity on a fucking plate this year with Leave No Trace (Debra Granik), one of the most well-received movies of the year which has been completely ignored by the academy.

And that was actually a good movie too, probably not best director material but I've seen worse fits. Problem is they have too many people to please, what if they nominate a woman and don't nominate a black man? Or a foreign director, you can't leave out a foreign director in the age of Trump, that's basically funding the wall. No LGBT themed movie (let's be honest here, Bryan Singer wasn't nominated because he's a pedo) getting a nod ? Literal alt-right. And on and on.

They put black panther in best picture to appease the woke media, there is no way that mediocore movie will win it. And IF it actually does, then it will be the biggest shit move the Oscars have ever done.

There are roughly around 6000 voting members in the academy who nominate the films. There isn't a small body of people with an agenda.

I am going to say the same thing that I say when people complain there aren't enough minorities represented at the awards, there is no secret conspiracy or agenda. The reason minority films were not getting nominated is because of a systemic problem that exists in Hollywood, yes, but it isn't the Academy who people should be angry at for not nominating films, it's the money men/women who can bank roll films or ensure they are brought to the spotlight.

HalfClip

Neo Member
They want what use to be the MTV audience. There have been better super hero movies than black panther. BP wasn't even the best superhero movie in 2018

Spider-Verse is better than BP imo

I think a lot of people sleep on how good it is
I have never been a huge fan of Miles Morales. The character is kind of dull in the comics. I thought Miller and Lorde did an incredible job with the character in the movie.

Definitely deserves to win the category.

It's a better film than BP.

Last edited:
All of these nominees look like trash to me. I used to look forward to the Oscars, but now it's just nonsense.

I skipped last year and I'll probably skip this year.

jdforge

Banned
I really enjoyed The Favourite. It completely blind sided me and I loved how it continued to make me laugh and at times shock me, right up until the end scene.

I have no clue what all the fuss is about over A Star is Born.

TrainedRage

Banned
Black Panther????!!!! Best picture????
WTF?
Stop it!
People actually think Black Panther was the 'best movie of the year'?

giphy.gif

Black Panther being nominated for Best Picture is clearly a desperate attempt to stop hemmoraghing viewers (last years' ratings was described as a "doomsday scenario"). Now millions of children will watch as the movie gets 'snubbed' in the face of far better films.

Last edited:
Black Panther is remarkably overrated. I finally watched it long after the hype and wondered what the fuss was about. It's fine, but it is nowhere near best picture of any year.

Yep, it was perfectly okay. I wouldn't say it was better than Ant-man and the Wasp, or Civil War. Maybe better than GotG2. But whatever..

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I still haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, and I heard that was really good. I think I liked the movie Searching better than most of the other stuff on there lol.

Duallusion

Black Panther nominated for best picture probably destroyed the last shreds of reverence I had for Academy Awards. And the same goes for A Star is Born, for that matter.

I used to stay up at night to watch the show but I'm not sure I even bothered to watch the highlights last year. I won't bother this year for sure.

Dunki

The fact that Black Panther is on there is just fucking ridiclus. Hell IT porobably will even win since the Oscars under heavy Attack for beeing too white.

Roma should take this easily if this would be an actual award for quality and not politics

Last edited:
Top Bottom