• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Abyss, Aliens and True Lies finally get 4k release dates!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hey, fellow olds who still like physical media! The day many of us have been waiting for is finally on the horizon. These fine films are finally getting the 4k Blu-ray treatment come March 12, 2024. They will be available digitally before that. Oddly enough True Lies and The Abyss never even saw Blu-ray.

violence

About time. Very long overdue. Ocean gate basically had to commit HaraKari for James Cameron to put his movies on 4K.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Aliens of one of my favorite movies of all times. Abyss Director's Cut was good.

Don't really care about True Lies. I didn't really like that one too much.

Denton

I really fucking hope these films will get theatrical release in Europe as well. At least Abyss and Aliens.

Terminator 2 3D few years ago was one of my all time favourite theater experiences.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That box art for Aliens is horrendous.
Ya. I agree.

Love True Lies cover. Although it's weird to see Arnie's fingers bleed into the spine.

1MPdKSd.png

ManaByte

The 1st time True Lies has ever been released in HD.
HBO Max was streaming True Lies and The Abyss in HD when the service first launched. These transfers have been done for a few years and Cameron had been too busy with Avatar to approve the disc releases.

CGNoire

HBO Max was streaming True Lies and The Abyss in HD when the service first launched. These transfers have been done for a few years and Cameron had been too busy with Avatar to approve the disc releases.
So are we getting a Bluray release or just a 4k one?

Brucey

Hey, fellow olds who still like physical media! The day many of us have been waiting for is finally on the horizon. These fine films are finally getting the 4k Blu-ray treatment come March 12, 2024. They will be available digitally before that. Oddly enough True Lies and The Abyss never even saw Blu-ray.

Had True Lies on laserdisc. Can't wait for a Blu-ray release.

Chiggs

Just got done seeing Cameron's 4k transfer of The Abyss at my local AMC. Theater was quite full since it was a one night only deal and they were giving out free commemorative posters.

I saw it in a Dolby Cinema and the HDR popped big time. There's some DNR but nearly enough to warrant all the preemptive pissing and moaning over at Blu-ray. com.

I'll definitely pick this up on digital and physical.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got done seeing Cameron's 4k transfer of The Abyss at my local AMC. Theater was quite full since it was a one night only deal and they were giving out free commemorative posters.

I saw it in a Dolby Cinema and the HDR popped big time. There's some DNR but nearly enough to warrant all the preemptive pissing and moaning over at Blu-ray. com.

I'll definitely pick this up on digital and physical.
Just saw it too in Dolby Cinema. Awesome theater experience after growing up seeing it on VHS and non-anamorphic DVD.

Alcibiades

Just got out from an AMC Dolby Cinema. Had never seen it before.

Enjoyed it quite a bit. Loved the slow build up. Some cheesy moments as would be expected in a Cameron film.

bender

What time is it?
Saw the Abyss tonight in theaters and got the poster. I probably haven't seen the movie in 20 years or so and I forgot most the last 3rd of the movie. Chuckled at the Wizards did it moment when address decompression. And I know it is for dramatic effect but I had a hard time turning off my brain during the free swimming moments and just how far down Harris goes to disarm the nuke.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I need to know about UK bluray releases, its keeping me awake at night worrying about it.

ManaByte

They look AMAZING. All those people claiming they'd be bad because Studio Canal ruined T2 (and lied about it being Cameron) will be eating crow. Titanic is stunning.

Dr.Morris79

...I've, no word of a lie, just bought two of these films on DVD, I never saw this thread before either? Wtf?

tckdpje.jpg

The internet isn't real. Is GAF a psi op?

What's going on?

I want answers! I'm on to you, internets!

FzNALBh.gif

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I get that it takes a lot of effort but I swear that they will never get around to a complete restoration and remaster of Terminator 2
Someone on Blu-ray.com said that they are aware of the problem and it was Studio Canal's fault. I don't know how true is that. Next year is the 40th anniversary of the first movie so maybe we get it in 4K and a new release of T2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom