• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

dabig2

"We have the best scientists in the world, but we don't have the money"

The Americans being excellent as always.

I'm on a Cold War reading binge and Costa Ronin did a fantastic job conveying the situation. Back in the 80's the Soviet Union was pioneering many technologies -particularly those that could be put to use in the event of WW3- but QA and safety measures were abysmal. The joke about how American seals wouldn't break by accident and spread some awful pathogen was all too real.

You wouldn't believe the kind of gymnastics the Soviet Union would do in order to source critical products such as advanced CNC machines from Japan or obtain hard currency (either American dollars or FRG marks) to purchase said products. More interestingly, the Russian mob played a huge role there, moving large quantities of contraband for corrupt Soviet officials, which in turn allowed them to take control of the economy when the Union crumbled down along the economy and they were the only ones with fat wads of hard currency to throw around.

Good points. I really hope that we get another timeskip so that we can see Chernobyl (the supreme of technological fuckups) and the reactions to it. If it's fall/winter 1984, then we still have a year and some change in the story. But it would be a great event to see, since as Gorbachev famously noted, "[Chernobyl] was perhaps the real cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union".

CoolOff

Good points. I really hope that we get another timeskip so that we can see Chernobyl (the supreme of technological fuckups) and the reactions to it. If it's fall/winter 1984, then we still have a year and some change in the story. But it would be a great event to see, since as Gorbachev famously noted, "[Chernobyl] was perhaps the real cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union".

I'm sure that if we have 2 more seasons we will get to Chernobyl.

Sober

"We have the best scientists in the world, but we don't have the money"

The Americans being excellent as always.

I'm on a Cold War reading binge and Costa Ronin did a fantastic job conveying the situation. Back in the 80's the Soviet Union was pioneering many technologies -particularly those that could be put to use in the event of WW3- but QA and safety measures were abysmal. The joke about how American seals wouldn't break by accident and spread some awful pathogen was all too real.

You wouldn't believe the kind of gymnastics the Soviet Union would do in order to source critical products such as advanced CNC machines from Japan or obtain hard currency (either American dollars or FRG marks) to purchase said products. More interestingly, the Russian mob played a huge role there, moving large quantities of contraband for corrupt Soviet officials, which in turn allowed them to take control of the economy when the Union crumbled down along the economy and they were the only ones with fat wads of hard currency to throw around.
Isn't it basically this plus him trying to maybe sabotage Tatiana's move to Kenya? I assume the Lhasa virus thing will definitely seal her appointment if it isn't already.

And yeah there was the talk about the Soviets having shit technology like threads and seals on containers that leaked as well as that satellite incident that almost caused everyone to die. If I was Oleg I would be worried too.

Tatiana: If I don't kill everyone on the eastern seaboard first.
Oleg: *chuckle heh that's kinda morbidly funn--* HEY I'M ON THE EASTERN FUCKING SEABOARD!

Geist-

Isn't it basically this plus him trying to maybe sabotage Tatiana's move to Kenya? I assume the Lhasa virus thing will definitely seal her appointment if it isn't already.

And yeah there was the talk about the Soviets having shit technology like threads and seals on containers that leaked as well as that satellite incident that almost caused everyone to die. If I was Oleg I would be worried too.

Tatiana: If I don't kill everyone on the eastern seaboard first.
Oleg: *chuckle heh that's kinda morbidly funn--* HEY I'M ON THE EASTERN FUCKING SEABOARD!
I'm almost certain it was this line that caused him to have a moment of conscious.

I know they left Martha's fate deliberately vague, but after the phone call in this episode I really want to know definitively whether she made it out alive or not.

Poor William is going to die right after he found his conscience.

I'm still not a 100% clear on what made Oleg tell Stan about the bioweapons stuff. He talked to Tatiana and his mother and then just kind of decided he wanted to leak that stuff. That's a bit strange.

"Are we going to call the cops" made my eyes roll a bit. No Paige, you've had about a year to figure out why the cops are not going to be called. It really, really is time to grow up now.

I like that the FBI is finally back on their trail. The whole mail robot and bioweapons plot got kind of squashed into the last couple of episodes and it would have been cooler if it had been a season long thing, but I'm still glad it's happening. With two more seasons though I'm pretty sure Philip walks away from that drop unscathed for now.

Looking forward past the finale, I hope they find a reason to keep Oleg around. At this point in the story he seems expendable but he really is quite a charismatic character so I hope they can write something good for him.

Also, are they really not going to try and extract the tape that Alice supposedly made when Pastor Tim went missing? That seems like a huge risk that would be top priority for the KGB to deal with.

Yeah me too. When you think about it, it kind of makes sense, but my first impression was "wait whut!" as well. Here is what I got:

1. he talks to his mom about his brother, feels that pain, and sees the real damage the war is doing
  2. reviews the challenger docs and worries what hazards Russian scientists could create with that info given their limited resources
  3. hears Tatiania's "kill everybody on the eastern seaboard" comment

From these things, it makes sense that he would think: we're playing with some seriously dangerous fire here, and I have to do something about it.

And I guess I buy that, but still is so different from the Oleg when he first came on the scene, punking out Stan and his surveillance detail. Also, Oleg knew that Stan bugged him before, and even if Stan got all emo and confessed, it still doesn't seem like he would trust him. I worry that Oleg is going the way of Nina in her last few episodes. The writers just don't seem to know what to do with him.

Sober

No I think they know what they're doing with Oleg for the most part. He's growing more and more disenfranchised with the Soviet worldview, and it doesn't help his family is affected by it; his brother is dead, his mother is despondent and his father is full steam ahead for the most part. He sees an assignment in America more of a way out/a foot in the door maybe. And he's growing closer to Tatiana but she's also moving further away cause she's obviously more committed to the Soviet cause while he's trying to grow further out of it. Plus he's in the science division so he can see how fucked up it is even more.

Noaloha

No I think they know what they're doing with Oleg for the most part. He's growing more and more disenfranchised with the Soviet worldview, and it doesn't help his family is affected by it; his brother is dead, his mother is despondent and his father is full steam ahead for the most part. He sees an assignment in America more of a way out/a foot in the door maybe. And he's growing closer to Tatiana but she's also moving further away cause she's obviously more committed to the Soviet cause while he's trying to grow further out of it. Plus he's in the science division so he can see how fucked up it is even more.
From Oleg scene 1 there's also been this facet of his that he actually enjoys America, or at least he's super down with the USA's entertainment culture. From the Soviet perspective this can be taken as a dilution of his political passion by pointless funspam. He's not necessarily cosmically wrong for betraying his country on this, but I don't take his Stan info-drop as a purely world-betterment act; I think his job goals -- his very upbringing and training, even -- are succumbing to an influx of 'fun' and all the distractional delights therein.

Costa Ronin’s explanation from the podcast: (paraphrasing as well as I can)
Costa Ronin said:
Oleg is a very interesting character because he almost is ahead of his time. To Oleg, what is more important than what country you fight for and which side you stand on but rather the balance of power in the world. At the end of the day, it’s all about, what is right and what is wrong. Is there a bigger right and wrong? And what is a more ethical thing to do. What is the right thing to do. At the end of the day, this is an extra level of the internal conflict that he’s going to, it’s another level of the decision making process that he’s going through, but at the end of day that’s what it comes down to.

So, interestingly you label him a traitor, I don’t know if he is a traitor. Because it depends where you are looking from. If that officer, in 1983, where there was a reflection in the clouds. Ask yourself a question, is that Russian a traitor for not pushing the button and triggering a counterattack? That person probably saved the world. So if you think of it in those terms, is Oleg a traitor? Or did he save the world?
Joel notes that Oleg is very much in a space where his personal and political and family views are all intertwined in this issue. Unlike Elizabeth who is more of a true believer or Philip who compartmentalizes his family as much as he can.

Joe says that there’s something generational in this character. It goes to the heart of the show, set in 1983, and there is a very real threat of nuclear annihilation, and people around the world are starting to take a bigger, more global view. After WWI and WWII, they think of these sorts of wars as unwinnable, and it takes a new way of thinking. That’s part of what Oleg is grappling with. There are a lot of people that think this way, but there are very few in the CIA and KGB. So he’s way ahead of his time in terms of intelligence services. There aren’t many that would actually take that action. Joel talks about high level of alcohol abuse in these programs because people can’t deal with the pressure of these issues.

Costa Ronin talks about how Oleg is different place now than when we met him listening to rock music and not wearing socks. He’s feeling the weight now and will take a drink or have a cigarette. Joel asks the question if in doing this, is Oleg saving himself or destroying himself? The fact that the seeds of both are in there is great.

Linky:

Geist-

I think Phillip and Oleg would be good friends.

Noaloha

Oleg stuff

I've been binging (bingeing? not alt-site google searching) on the show over the last month or so, and keeping up with this thread responsibly. I've seen a bunch of these Slate podcasts that have seemed really interesting. I really must make some time to go through them now that I've caught up.

That's a very sympathetic realisation of Oleg's motiivations and perfectly acceptable. But I'd like the show to surface that a little clearer if so. Transitioning into, what, wearing socks and having a cigarette is a *very* subtle way of signifying on screen that his cultural soft-spots are second to some freshly developed newfound motivations. I'm loathe to say "that character development is too subtle!" but (and I'm totally open to the idea that I might have glossed over better indicators) I don't think the show's done a sufficient job in guiding the viewer to Oleg's inner change of focus. I'd love a brief scene where he glibly expresses "fuck the Duran Duran show, I just want to have kids and a world for them to grow in."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finale preview question:

That small scene of Stan slamming Philip is from the premiere, right? looked the same to me.
Yeah. The previews frequently use old footage for suspense, to add atmosphere without giving away [more] spoilers.

-griffy-

Banned
I think it's important to remember that Oleg has seen first hand the cost of the war they are fighting, with Nina and his brother losing their lives. I think their deaths made him start asking questions about what it is they are doing, what they are fighting for. And the disrespect these two in particular are shown in death. People are giving their lives, and for what? For extremely dangerous bio-weapons that can kill thousands more? Millions more? How does that sit with Oleg? You pair that with the counter attack close call, and the question of their technology/capability not being good enough to play with the toys they are obtaining, and it makes sense. It's a revelation that may not have presented itself clearly before hand, but in hindsight is perfectly in line with what we saw and doesn't betray the character.

Ristifer

I think it's important to remember that Oleg has seen first hand the cost of the war they are fighting, with Nina and his brother losing their lives. I think their deaths made him start asking questions about what it is they are doing, what they are fighting for. And the disrespect these two in particular are shown in death. People are giving their lives, and for what? For extremely dangerous bio-weapons that can kill thousands more? Millions more? How does that sit with Oleg? You pair that with the counter attack close call, and the question of their technology/capability not being good enough to play with the toys they are obtaining, and it makes sense. It's a revelation that may not have presented itself clearly before hand, but in hindsight is perfectly in line with what we saw and doesn't betray the character.
Exactly this.

The ripple effect of events surrounding Oleg (Nina's death, his brother's death, his family, etc.) has had a significant impact on how his character has evolved. It's easy to see his motivation for telling Stan as something just based on conscience or as a reaction to Tatiana becoming the Rezident in Kenya. But looking back at all of the events of this season alone, Oleg's character has evolved into someone much more aware of his surroundings. He's someone who now assesses the potential consequences of having this kind of information.

Oleg's an intelligent guy on this show. He knows exactly what's going on. More than that, he now has a trust with Stan. Stan pretty much laid everything out on the table in their last meeting. Now Oleg has done the same thing. I love that they flipped that around for both characters. I still don't think this is the last time they meet face to face, but we'll see.

I honestly love what they've done with Oleg's character. I think it's easy to see his decision to tell Stan as something that came out of nowhere. But when you look back and you think about what his character has gone through, you see a pretty clear pathway to how he came to decide what to do.

^ totally agree with this, and with what griffy wrote. But most of these insights are things you've deduced by reflecting on Oleg's actions after the fact, which is definitely a good thing don't get me wrong, but if it's something we reason about rather than experience directly by seeing it on the screen, then the point that Noaloha made still stands, I think: Oleg's actions and development make sense logically, but maybe the show could be a little more explicit about it, by playing out some of these thoughts.

Oleg's development would feel more genuine, then, the way that say Philip / Elizabeth's development feels genuine. I know that is probably unrealistic since they can't devote as much screen time to him as the two stars of the show, but the point still stands I think.

Then again I'm not totally sure where I stand on this. It is actually kind of cool to be surprised by a character's action only to look back and realize that on reflection it makes total sense. Contrast this with, say, Game of Thrones this season, where characters do all sorts of surprising things that are totally out of character and make no sense and seem to be the result of writers who are just trying to push the plot along.

In the walk before they were mugged, Paige and Elizabeth agreed not to push Alice for the tape back because if that what Alice needs to feel safe about them then so be it.

I remember that bit.

I guess my main issue with this is that I just don't think it's realistic that the KGB would take such a huge risk. Tim and Alice would and should have been killed off a long time ago. Think of the stakes. On the one hand you have the security of two highly effective spies who have spent the better part of twenty years establishing their cover. And on the other hand you have to appease a child so that she doesn't end up hating her parents. I mean, every kid goes through that stage and then the grow right out of it. And even if there was a chance that the KGB acquiesced to Philip's request to spare them initially, there is zero chance they would have done so after Alice claimed that she made the tape.

Also, I thought with the time jump Paige would have a certain understanding of what kind of work her parents do, even if she didn't know the lengths they would go to do so. But then you have her asking the most naive and daft questions like "should we call the cops". I understand her relationship with her parents is the core focus of this season but it feels like it eschews what would really happen in favor of creating drama.

I just hope we don't go through an entire discovery arc again when it's Henry's turn to find out what the parents do.

Ristifer

^ totally agree with this, and with what griffy wrote. But most of these insights are things you've deduced by reflecting on Oleg's actions after the fact, which is definitely a good thing don't get me wrong, but if it's something we reason about rather than experience directly by seeing it on the screen, then the point that Noaloha made still stands, I think: Oleg's actions and development make sense logically, but maybe the show could be a little more explicit about it, by playing out some of these thoughts.

Oleg's development would feel more genuine, then, the way that say Philip / Elizabeth's development feels genuine. I know that is probably unrealistic since they can't devote as much screen time to him as the two stars of the show, but the point still stands I think.

Then again I'm not totally sure where I stand on this. It is actually kind of cool to be surprised by a character's action only to look back and realize that on reflection it makes total sense. Contrast this with, say, Game of Thrones this season, where characters do all sorts of surprising things that are totally out of character and make no sense and seem to be the result of writers who are just trying to push the plot along.
I feel that at the end of the day, if you can look back and see a pathway to a character's evolution, then it's been a success. But I can understand what you're saying here. Sometimes it's more beneficial for the viewer to have something like this present itself in real time, where it's almost like a "eureka!" moment, instead of something you have to review later on.

Still, I think it works on two different levels with Oleg. You can look back and see the pathway to this decision. But you can also just see it as a moment of conscience, and wanting to do whatever possible to prevent any kind of warfare. I think it's neat that it can be looked upon in two different ways.

I remember that bit.

I guess my main issue with this is that I just don't think it's realistic that the KGB would take such a huge risk. Tim and Alice would and should have been killed off a long time ago. Think of the stakes. On the one hand you have the security of two highly effective spies who have spent the better part of twenty years establishing their cover. And on the other hand you have to appease a child so that she doesn't end up hating her parents. I mean, every kid goes through that stage and then the grow right out of it. And even if there was a chance that the KGB acquiesced to Philip's request to spare them initially, there is zero chance they would have done so after Alice claimed that she made the tape.
Yeah, I feel similarly about this. It seems as though it would be completely careless to forget about a potential tape going to the State Department. Philip says that Alice never talked to a lawyer, but you can't really be 100% sure unless you actually go get a physical tape. It's almost as if they're afraid that if there really is a tape, then extracting it, destroying it, or even asking for it would compound their guilt and end up just alarming Tim and Alice anyway.

Tape or no tape, they still know everything and could essentially spill the beans at any moment. Keeping everyone happy is probably the best option. Still, I can understand why appeasement could be a potentially disastrous option for Philip and Elizabeth. It's quite a hole they've dug themselves into here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The thing that goes unsaid is that if their relationship turns sour, it's not just losing Paige's love and gaining some family turmoil. It's putting their lives in jeopardy. This is the Paige that was joining Pastor Tim in protesting, joining the Christian tradition and really digging into doing what her conscience believes is right. If she believed her parents or the KGB were involved in offing Tim and Alice, you're looking at her walking right across the street. It's not simply about keeping the family life nice and quiet. It's not just "no don't kill them, Paige might hate us," it's "her conscience could utterly destroy us." Kill Tim and Alice and you probably have to deal with Paige, too, one way or another. And that undoubtedly either directly or indirectly ends Phillip and Elizabeth's careers as spies.

Also, I thought with the time jump Paige would have a certain understanding of what kind of work her parents do, even if she didn't know the lengths they would go to do so. But then you have her asking the most naive and daft questions like "should we call the cops". I understand her relationship with her parents is the core focus of this season but it feels like it eschews what would really happen in favor of creating drama.
The way it's been played, Phillip and Elizabeth seemed to barely do any work during the time jump, so there were presumably less moments when they had to run out and inspire Paige to ask questions about what they're doing.

And people shouldn't think the cop line was some thoughtful question that Paige should have know better than to ask. She's freaking out about a guy being killed. It's a question asked as she's scrambling to make sense of the situation.

The thing that goes unsaid is that if their relationship turns sour, it's not just losing Paige's love and gaining some family turmoil. It's putting their lives in jeopardy. This is the Paige that was joining Pastor Tim in protesting, joining the Christian tradition and really digging into doing what her conscience believes is right. If she believed her parents or the KGB were involved in offing Tim and Alice, you're looking at her walking right across the street. It's not simply about keeping the family life nice and quiet. It's not just "no don't kill them, Paige might hate us," it's "her conscience could utterly destroy us." Kill Tim and Alice and you probably have to deal with Paige, too, one way or another. And that undoubtedly either directly or indirectly ends Phillip and Elizabeth's careers as spies.

Yep I was planning on drafting a similar post. Great point.

lazygecko

I'm actually having difficulties getting through season 3 thanks to all the cringe-inducing scene with Philip and Kimberly and Paige and the church.

Perhaps, but wouldn't it still be easier and preferable to try and control Paige instead of putting your fate in the hands of two strangers who could talk to anyone and spread the word?

Saty

Keep in mind the KGB is very keen of their 2nd Generation Spy initiative and that's what the Centre has been promised or led to believe being promised by not killing Tim and Alice. So you can see why they'd risk it. They risked it before with Jeremy (that was the boy's name?).

Regarding the tape, i wouldn't rule out that Phillip and Elizabeth didn't report that piece of info back to Russia. If i'm not wrong it also wasn't suggested up to now that Gabriel knows about it.

--

So, i don't know what happened. The software i was using to make the WebM is all of a sudden refusing to apply the bitrate i chose on the output webm file. So they are of lesser quality and it's bumming me out. Might not be big deal if you only view it in this thread embedded and don't go to the full 960x540 video link. You be the judge.

https://my.mixtape.moe/cjejqa.webm

Ristifer

Yeah, the whole scenario with Jared resulted in two dead illegals, a dead handler, and no second generation illegals. So, the KGB is a bit iffy for even wanting to push so hard again, but you can see why they might allow for more breathing room with Philip, Elizabeth, and Paige in the Tim and Alice scenario.

Keep in mind the KGB is very keen of their 2nd Generation Spy initiative and that's what the Centre has been promised or led to believe being promised by not killing Tim and Alice. So you can see why they'd risk it. They risked it before with Jeremy (that was the boy's name?).

Regarding the tape, i wouldn't rule out that Phillip and Elizabeth didn't report that piece of info back to Russia. If i'm not wrong it also wasn't suggested up to now that Gabriel knows about it.

--

So, i don't know what happened. The software i was using to make the WebM is all of a sudden refusing to apply the bitrate i chose on the output webm file. So they are of lesser quality and it's bumming me out. Might not be big deal if you only view it in this thread embedded and don't go to the full 960x540 video link. You be the judge.

https://my.mixtape.moe/cjejqa.webm

Perfect!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jumped in on the show a few weeks ago and am halfway through Season 2 so far and am really loving it. Trying not to read this thread to avoid any potential spoilers for this or past seasons, but had to chime in somewhere.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally got a chance to watch this past week's episode, nice setup for the finale. William is screwed, wonder if anybody else will get caught in the process. Knew that Paige and Matthew development would happen sooner or later. Was cool seeing Oleg take a global perspective as opposed to a nationalistic one with the Stan assist. Holly Taylor is killing it this season, really have to feel for Paige. Looking forward to the finale, hoping I'll be able to watch live this time.

- Philly.com in praise of The Americans
It's been hard to watch The Americans this season without waiting for certain shoes to drop. As some characters flirted with what only seemed like inevitable endings, others had their lives cut short just as I'd almost forgotten to worry about them.

But bracing for the next shock too often means missing the show that's actually there, the one in which spies Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) are part of a vast, largely hidden network that could be seen as including their FBI agent neighbor, Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), as much as it does their Russian compatriots.

For these people, several layers removed from their political bosses, the Cold War is plenty warm. And as we see characters such as Stan and Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin) come together in an attempt to avert a disaster, it's harder to think of them as being entirely on different sides, even when the line between whistleblowing and spying is barely discernible.

Our once-anonymous enemies have faces and personal histories, and though they also have a healthy fear of the country they're spying on, America's gotten under their skin.

If it's sometimes a struggle to remember that The Americans, which was recently renewed for what will be its final two seasons, is - like The Sopranos - not all about the violence, it may be because so much of what we've come to think of as quality television relies on delivering shocking moments at only slightly unpredictable intervals.

- The Guardian: Mission improbable: how The Americans changed the concept of the spy show
What makes The Americans one of the standout shows in the “golden age of television” is that it isn’t about spies at all. Just as The Sopranos isn’t really about the mafia, Mad Men isn’t really about advertising, and Six Feet Under isn’t really about funerals, The Americans is about so many other things beyond whether or not Philip and Elizabeth will continue to get away with their duplicitous life.

The Americans, more than anything, is about ideology and the lengths people go to to support it. Elizabeth has always unquestioningly served her country, but this season she was forced to betray a woman who became her friend, testing her dedication. Philip, always more of a skeptic, was allowed to save Martha’s life, strengthening his belief in the cause. Their daughter Paige (Holly Taylor) doesn’t believe in communism but instead has fallen headlong into Christianity, revealing her parents’ secret identities to her pastor and dealing with the ramifications of that choice.

Like so many of those other great dramas, The Americans is also about families and how individuals can know themselves even as they sacrifice parts of their identity for the greater good. Philip attends meetings learning New Age philosophy so he can continue with his occupation; their neighbor – FBI agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) – struggles with his worth when his family falls apart, and latches on to the Jennings; and Elizabeth has grappled with with her relationship with her daughter and mother since the series began.

Audioboxer

Just caught up and holy crap this finale is going to be amazing.

This is easily one of the best consistently written dramas out there.

By the way is anyone else certain pastor Tim
was kidnapped and then let loose when the plan went south with Gaad?

lolz

I can hope can't I.

Just caught up and holy crap this finale is going to be amazing.

This is easily one of the best consistently written dramas out there.

By the way is anyone else certain pastor Tim
that's what I thought. And then they probably said we'll kill your wife and kid if you snitch or something. But who knows, hard to tell with this show.

Audioboxer

lolz

I can hope can't I.

that's what I thought. And then they probably said we'll kill your wife and kid if you snitch or something. But who knows, hard to tell with this show.

Yeah same here. There's an awkward tension right now.

By the way that dinner party scene was amazing, so much awkwardness.

I've been burning through the show again from the beginning. This really is one of the top tier drama's on television. Just a few more days of binging and I'll finally be able to watch season 4. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things have played out since Paige's phone call.

Also, without reading any post here or seeing any spoilers for this season, all I have to say is poor Martha. See you on the side comrades.

Sex and wigs forever!

Also, someone tweeted Sepinwall to mention that DirecTV and possibly other providers had screwed up their listings as of this morning, so it's worth checking your DVR if you plan on recording it tonight.

Top Bottom