• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Atari 400 mini

Krathoon

The Atari 400 mini came out.

The computer was not quite as good as an Amiga but it does have some neat games on it.

I went ahead and bought one. Here is a rundown of the games on it. Any Atari 400 memories?

You can also run Atari 5200 games on it.

Alert! There are missing graphics in the MULE game. They used a bad rom and they have a replacement you can download.

Last edited:

Crayon

These home computers are before my time. Even then, I only go as far back as 16-bit era though I am old enough to have had my first system be a nes around launch.

I tell myself sometimes I should check out stuff from this era, though. It's all easily at hand and though I prefer real hardware, I don't necessarily need it to see what people were playing back then.

John Bilbo

These home computers are before my time. Even then, I only go as far back as 16-bit era though I am old enough to have had my first system be a nes around launch.

I tell myself sometimes I should check out stuff from this era, though. It's all easily at hand and though I prefer real hardware, I don't necessarily need it to see what people were playing back then.

Not to derail the thread, but you could be interested in this.

Buy an Analogue Pocket and a dock.

With Keyboard ans Mouse Control you can Play all Amiga Games with Amiga Vision.

Plus all the other consoles. And Arcade Machines

Ozzie666

Oh yeah. The Amiga and Atari ST blow the Atari 400 out of the water.

It is one of those computers where is a kinda better than a C64.

Was it really better than a C64? I think the games on the C64 would disprove that. Just look at games like Defender of the Crown or Rocket Ranger. Not possible on Atari 400. Or am I missing something here?

I always considered the 400 in bewteen the Apple IIe and C64.

Krathoon

Was it really better than a C64? I think the games on the C64 would disprove that. Just look at games like Defender of the Crown or Rocket Ranger. Not possible on Atari 400. Or am I missing something here?

I may be putting it in the wrong spot.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've been waiting for someone to post a thread on the Atari 400 Mini. The only reason I hadn't done so myself if because I haven't bought on yet, but that's still in my future plans this month.

First of all, I grew up on Atari 8-bit home computers, and had an 800XL through high school. My grandfather also had one, and later upgraded to a 130XE. We purchased many games on cartridge and floppy disc, but also had an enormous collection of pirated discs from the local Atari fan club. As a time capsule of its era, the Atari 8-bits are magnificent machines, offering brilliant home translations of Golden Age arcade classics, as well as many innovative computer games that would blossom into many popular PC genres. Its hardware was extremely impressive for its time, and the 3D graphics were especially ahead of the curve. It remains my all-time favorite videogame platform, almost purely out of nostalgia, of course, but it's the home of MULE, Seven Cities of Gold, Ballblazer and countless others.

Now as to the 400 Mini. The hardware case design is very nice, a tiny replica of the original 400 home computer from 1979, which came with 16k memory and a membrane keyboard that looked pretty but was effectively useless. But there's no denying that amazing sense of futuristic '70s style. The four joystick ports (all USB) make this a very welcome addition for multiplayer games, and the ability to connect a keyboard and USB drive loaded with your own games makes this a must for any Atarian. The price is a little high, but compared to purchasing an actual 8-bit computer these days, it's a welcome bargain.

This device comes packaged with 25 software titles, and it's a very impressive list. We have the usual Atari arcade hits like Asteroids, Battlezone, Berzerk, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Millipede, and Missile Command. We also have beloved 8-bit classics like Boulder Dash, Bruce Lee, and Miner 2049er, all of which first appeared on Atari. There are some impressive deep cuts like Bristles, Elektraglide, Encounter, Henry's House, Flip and Flop. We have one of Jeff Minter's stranger games with Hover Bover, and a wonderful shoot-em-up from the Apple II called Wavy Navy. We have Basketball, upgraded from the 2600 with four-player support. We have Capture the Flag, a terrific showcase for the Atari 8-bit's 3D superpowers. And we have two of the greatest videogames of all time, Ozark Softscape's M.U.L.E. and Seven Cities of Gold.

The 400 Mini is worth the price of admission for MULE alone, especially with the ability to play four-player tournaments, which is where this game reaches videogame nirvana. I'm not kidding: this is the greatest videogame ever made, full stop, end of line. The catch is that absolutely none of you will believe that until you've played a couple of games, and then it all clicks into place. Imagine a wholly unique mashup of Monopoly with SimCity, with commodities trading and multiplayer mayhem that veers from cooly relaxed to furious fistfights. I'm serious.

The second contender, Seven Cities of Gold, is equally brilliant in its scope and imagination. It's an Age of Exploration game where you lead an exhibition to explore the New World, mapping out terrain, rowing down rivers, climbing mountains, and meeting various tribes and nations with whom you share no common language or culture. The brilliance lies in how open and free everything is. You define "success" on your own terms. Do you want to explore the continents? Do you want to build endless forts and missions? Do you want to build friendships with the native peoples, or do you want to murder them and steal their gold? It's entirely up to you, and Dani Bunten, the visionary mastermind behind Ozark Softscape, slyly critiques history by showing how the Spanish Crown may scold (or even imprison) you for committing genocide, but you'll quickly be promoted if you return with forty ships packed with gold. Money talks.

So those are my favorite things about the 400 Mini. Add in USB drive support for all Atari 8-bit software titles, and you'll find yourself with a lifetime's supply of fantastic videogames. You have the entire 400/800, XL and XE libraries, as well as the 5200 SuperSystem, Atari's notoriously failed 1982 successor to the 2600 that, nevertheless, boasts an enormously strong library of Golden Age arcade titles, several of which improve upon their home computer cousins. Now all we need are analog controllers that don't break down anytime you look cross-eyed at them.

Now here are my criticisms on the 400 Mini:

1) It's too damned expensive. You know this baby will be selling for $50 this time next year, just like the C64 Mini.

2) The pack-in joystick has received many complaints and mixed reviews from early critics, and I'm still unsure if you can just plug in a classic Wico joystick instead.

3) MULE features graphical glitches for no apparent reason, despite the fact we've been playing this on PC emulators since the turn of the century.

4) Seven Cities removes not only the wonderful animated title sequence but the ability to create new worlds to explore. Again, this has been standard on Atari 800 emulators since the Clinton Administration. No excuse for this.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 400 Mini, although the problems are irritating and making me grouchy. Whatever. I'm still going to buy this baby before my birthday arrives two weeks from now. And I highly encourage each and every one of you to do the same.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I thought this would be a perfect time to share one of my "greatest games" lists for the Atari 8-bit home computers. Consider this an invitation to talk about any or all of these amazing retro games. Grab a large bottle and take a shot for each one you recognize, hah.

My 50 Favorite Atari 8-bit Videogames:

1. M.U.L.E.
  2. Seven Cities of Gold
  3. Ballblazer
  4. Star Raiders
  5. Castle Wolfenstein
  6. Tale of Beta Lyrae
  7. Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory
  8. Montezuma’s Revenge
  9. World Karate Championship
  10. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
  11. Boulder Dash
  12. Donkey Kong Arcade
  13. Pac-Man Arcade
  14. Robotron: 2084
  15. Dropzone
  16. Blue Max
  17. Drelbs
  18. T.G.I.F.
  19. Starfleet I: The War Begins
  20. Rescue on Fractalus
  21. F-15 Strike Eagle
  22. Silent Service
  23. Lode Runner
  24. Spy Vs. Spy
  25. Archon
  26. Defender
  27. Bruce Lee
  28. Ms. Pac-Man Arcade
  29. Murder on the Zinderneuf
  30. Dr. J and Larry Bird Go One on One
  31. Pinball Construction Set
  32. Lode Runner
  33. Missile Command
  34. Mig Alley Ace
  35. Millionaire
  36. Stealth
  37. Spy Hunter
  38. Gyruss
  39. Q*Bert
  40. Frogger
  41. Track and Field
  42. Submarine Commander
  43. Spelunker
  44. Ninja
  45. Zeppelin
  46. Koronis Rift
  47. Starquake
  48. King Tut’s Tomb
  49. Mario Bros Arcade
  50. ET Phone Home

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I've been waiting for someone to post a thread on the Atari 400 Mini. The only reason I hadn't done so myself if because I haven't bought on yet, but that's still in my future plans this month.

First of all, I grew up on Atari 8-bit home computers, and had an 800XL through high school. My grandfather also had one, and later upgraded to a 130XE. We purchased many games on cartridge and floppy disc, but also had an enormous collection of pirated discs from the local Atari fan club. As a time capsule of its era, the Atari 8-bits are magnificent machines, offering brilliant home translations of Golden Age arcade classics, as well as many innovative computer games that would blossom into many popular PC genres. Its hardware was extremely impressive for its time, and the 3D graphics were especially ahead of the curve. It remains my all-time favorite videogame platform, almost purely out of nostalgia, of course, but it's the home of MULE, Seven Cities of Gold, Ballblazer and countless others.

Now as to the 400 Mini. The hardware case design is very nice, a tiny replica of the original 400 home computer from 1979, which came with 16k memory and a membrane keyboard that looked pretty but was effectively useless. But there's no denying that amazing sense of futuristic '70s style. The four joystick ports (all USB) make this a very welcome addition for multiplayer games, and the ability to connect a keyboard and USB drive loaded with your own games makes this a must for any Atarian. The price is a little high, but compared to purchasing an actual 8-bit computer these days, it's a welcome bargain.

This device comes packaged with 25 software titles, and it's a very impressive list. We have the usual Atari arcade hits like Asteroids, Battlezone, Berzerk, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Millipede, and Missile Command. We also have beloved 8-bit classics like Boulder Dash, Bruce Lee, and Miner 2049er, all of which first appeared on Atari. There are some impressive deep cuts like Bristles, Elektraglide, Encounter, Henry's House, Flip and Flop. We have one of Jeff Minter's stranger games with Hover Bover, and a wonderful shoot-em-up from the Apple II called Wavy Navy. We have Basketball, upgraded from the 2600 with four-player support. We have Capture the Flag, a terrific showcase for the Atari 8-bit's 3D superpowers. And we have two of the greatest videogames of all time, Ozark Softscape's M.U.L.E. and Seven Cities of Gold.

The 400 Mini is worth the price of admission for MULE alone, especially with the ability to play four-player tournaments, which is where this game reaches videogame nirvana. I'm not kidding: this is the greatest videogame ever made, full stop, end of line. The catch is that absolutely none of you will believe that until you've played a couple of games, and then it all clicks into place. Imagine a wholly unique mashup of Monopoly with SimCity, with commodities trading and multiplayer mayhem that veers from cooly relaxed to furious fistfights. I'm serious.

The second contender, Seven Cities of Gold, is equally brilliant in its scope and imagination. It's an Age of Exploration game where you lead an exhibition to explore the New World, mapping out terrain, rowing down rivers, climbing mountains, and meeting various tribes and nations with whom you share no common language or culture. The brilliance lies in how open and free everything is. You define "success" on your own terms. Do you want to explore the continents? Do you want to build endless forts and missions? Do you want to build friendships with the native peoples, or do you want to murder them and steal their gold? It's entirely up to you, and Dani Bunten, the visionary mastermind behind Ozark Softscape, slyly critiques history by showing how the Spanish Crown may scold (or even imprison) you for committing genocide, but you'll quickly be promoted if you return with forty ships packed with gold. Money talks.

So those are my favorite things about the 400 Mini. Add in USB drive support for all Atari 8-bit software titles, and you'll find yourself with a lifetime's supply of fantastic videogames. You have the entire 400/800, XL and XE libraries, as well as the 5200 SuperSystem, Atari's notoriously failed 1982 successor to the 2600 that, nevertheless, boasts an enormously strong library of Golden Age arcade titles, several of which improve upon their home computer cousins. Now all we need are analog controllers that don't break down anytime you look cross-eyed at them.

Now here are my criticisms on the 400 Mini:

1) It's too damned expensive. You know this baby will be selling for $50 this time next year, just like the C64 Mini.

2) The pack-in joystick has received many complaints and mixed reviews from early critics, and I'm still unsure if you can just plug in a classic Wico joystick instead.

3) MULE features graphical glitches for no apparent reason, despite the fact we've been playing this on PC emulators since the turn of the century.

4) Seven Cities removes not only the wonderful animated title sequence but the ability to create new worlds to explore. Again, this has been standard on Atari 800 emulators since the Clinton Administration. No excuse for this.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 400 Mini, although the problems are irritating and making me grouchy. Whatever. I'm still going to buy this baby before my birthday arrives two weeks from now. And I highly encourage each and every one of you to do the same.
Apparently the issue with the CXStick is that there is no central post under the contact membrane. Some of the suggestions online are to open the stick up, remove the contact membrane and put a little sticky pad on the motherboard where the centre of the membrane would sit.

Jon at GenXGrownUp has posted a video on the fix.

An Atari 600xl was almost my first home computer (I was a 2600 kid :) ) but all the Atari home computers were bloody expensive in the U.K, so it was a 48k Spectrum I ended up with.
Did get an ST later on though!

Always remember the late, great Archer Mclean quote about the Atari 800 being "The Amiga of its day", pretty apt when you look at the lineage of the Atari 8-bits and what would become the Amiga.

Think I'm going to pick one of these up. That hardware design is iconic.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

That's about right, though the Atari 800’s usually ran a bit faster than the 64.
Always preferred the colours on the Atari machines, Bruce Lee was better on the Atari :)

Dev1lXYZ

I owned an Atari 400 right around the time that Empire Strikes Back came out in theaters, It had a damn good port of Donkey Kong. More levels than the NES version, but not quite as pretty. Star Raiders blew my mind back then. I wanted a Star Wars game and it was like a mixture of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Missile Command was also a really good port. Unfortunately, my 4 year old self couldn’t find games in my town. I was stuck with basically those games and never got any others because the video game store in town went out of biusiness. The early 80’s was very specialized and you had to leave town and travel to larger cities for video games.

Krathoon

The joystick seems to work fine. It played Bruce Lee fine.
I think some people are getting bad joysticks. Their quality control needs to be better.

Edit: Ah, I see the problem. People are pulling too hard on the joystick and causing false input. It is touchy.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I assume you can load up the original Seven Cities of Gold on USB.

No idea why they edited it.

Agreed. I already have Seven Cities and MULE in my Atari 800 ROMs folder on my desktop computer, and I've also found a formatted "empty disc.atr" file that someone at AtariAge created and shared. I'm ready to go.

I'm really looking forward to playing all the recent indie-homebrew games that have arrived in recent years, especially Prince of Persia which looks amazing. And please, please, please let Space Harrier run on this thing.

pachura

Atari 65XE / 600XL / 800XL were 8-bit, Amiga was 16-bit. No comparison. They competed with C64 and were not as great, but still much better multimedia-wise than ZX Spectrum with its color clash and buzzer for sound.

8-bit Ataris were quite popular in Poland, at one point a lot of commerical Polish games were published for the platform (I remembetr Janusz Pelc and L.K. Avalon) - such as Misja, Robbo, Hans Kloss, Lasermania, AD 2044, Fred...

I was around for them and I don't think games really starting good until the NES.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Very cool! When I was a kid, a friend in the neighborhood had the 400. Talk about a huge leap over the Atari 2600.
Miner 2049er was great and I had Boulder Dash on Commodore 64, and loved it.

Great to see Berserk on there, which for some reason was always missing on the various Atari Collections.

Last edited:

Krathoon

For some reason, it does not accept the a52 files for the Atari 5200. It only uses bin and rom files.

This is annoying because a lot of collections use a52 files.

I found a collection that used rom files for the 400. Did the 400 have it's own carts?

Last edited:
I thought this would be a perfect time to share one of my "greatest games" lists for the Atari 8-bit home computers. Consider this an invitation to talk about any or all of these amazing retro games. Grab a large bottle and take a shot for each one you recognize, hah.

My 50 Favorite Atari 8-bit Videogames:

1. M.U.L.E.
  2. Seven Cities of Gold
  3. Ballblazer
  4. Star Raiders
  5. Castle Wolfenstein
  6. Tale of Beta Lyrae
  7. Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory
  8. Montezuma’s Revenge
  9. World Karate Championship
  10. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
  11. Boulder Dash
  12. Donkey Kong Arcade
  13. Pac-Man Arcade
  14. Robotron: 2084
  15. Dropzone
  16. Blue Max
  17. Drelbs
  18. T.G.I.F.
  19. Starfleet I: The War Begins
  20. Rescue on Fractalus
  21. F-15 Strike Eagle
  22. Silent Service
  23. Lode Runner
  24. Spy Vs. Spy
  25. Archon
  26. Defender
  27. Bruce Lee
  28. Ms. Pac-Man Arcade
  29. Murder on the Zinderneuf
  30. Dr. J and Larry Bird Go One on One
  31. Pinball Construction Set
  32. Lode Runner
  33. Missile Command
  34. Mig Alley Ace
  35. Millionaire
  36. Stealth
  37. Spy Hunter
  38. Gyruss
  39. Q*Bert
  40. Frogger
  41. Track and Field
  42. Submarine Commander
  43. Spelunker
  44. Ninja
  45. Zeppelin
  46. Koronis Rift
  47. Starquake
  48. King Tut’s Tomb
  49. Mario Bros Arcade
  50. ET Phone Home

Sir, if I did that I would be dead from alcohol poisoning! So many great game back then, had all of these on our Atari 800, some other great ones were Aquatron, BC's Quest For Tires, Berzerk, Canyon Climber, Caverns Of Mars, Choplifter, Clowns & Balloons, Crisis Mountain, Dark Crystal, Dave's Midnight Magic (Pinball), Demon Attack, Fort Apocalypse, Galahad, Goonies, Gorf, Ghostbusters, Hellcat Ace, In Search Of The Most Amazing Thing, Jet Boot Jack. Jumpman/Jumpman Jr., Karateka, Miner 2049er, Nautilus, Necromancer, O'Riley's Mine, Pharaoh's Curse, Popeye, Qix, River Raid, Satan's Hollow, Shamus I & II and who can forget Zork I, II & III

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I hope that they'll choose the 800XL case for a big version of this.

There is a company that is creating a new Atari 800XL. They have released one or two teaser videos, one of which shows the motherboard. It looks pretty interesting, but my one complaint—as always—is that there are only two joystick ports. We need four! Four-player MULE! Four-player MULE!

Sigh, I know that one these years, I’ll just cave in, but and restore an Atari 800. That computer still looks wonderful.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I wanted to share this video tutorial on formatting a USB drive for use on the 400 Mini. I don’t yet know if these steps are necessary for all thumb sticks, or just the older ones, but in case your games won’t appear, here’s a solution.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The computer was not quite as good as an Amiga but it does have some neat games on it.

Don't compare it to the Amiga, it preceded the C64 which was its true contemporary, and many of its engineers went on to design the Amiga.

Technically its slightly stronger than the c64, in all aspects minus sound, but it was less exploited as it never enjoyed close to the success of Commodore's machine.

SirTerry-T

I owned an Atari 400 right around the time that Empire Strikes Back came out in theaters, It had a damn good port of Donkey Kong. More levels than the NES version, but not quite as pretty. Star Raiders blew my mind back then. I wanted a Star Wars game and it was like a mixture of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Missile Command was also a really good port. Unfortunately, my 4 year old self couldn’t find games in my town. I was stuck with basically those games and never got any others because the video game store in town went out of biusiness. The early 80’s was very specialized and you had to leave town and travel to larger cities for video games.
I had star raiders for my vcs, fantastic game. That keypad really helped with the immersion!

Hudo

There is a company that is creating a new Atari 800XL. They have released one or two teaser videos, one of which shows the motherboard. It looks pretty interesting, but my one complaint—as always—is that there are only two joystick ports. We need four! Four-player MULE! Four-player MULE!

Sigh, I know that one these years, I’ll just cave in, but and restore an Atari 800. That computer still looks wonderful.
Agreed, man! 4 fucking player MULE!

Stuart360

Amiga, and others, were around in the 16bit era, they were pretty much part of the same gen really, atleast on Amiga's case.

Crayon

Amiga, and others, were around in the 16bit era, they were pretty much part of the same gen really, atleast on Amiga's case.

I know the amigo was. That, I actually have gone back and played games on. When I'm looking at things like the early ataris, hercules, Tandy and stuff like that, it's just a whole unexplored world to me.

Havoc2049

Missed opportunity. If there was ever a mini-computer that could of had a cheap mylar keyboard and function keys, it should have been the 400 mini. Then they could have just had a regular USB cx-40, thus alleviating all the joystick issues.

Dev1lXYZ

I had star raiders for my vcs, fantastic game. That keypad really helped with the immersion!
I got a 2600 a few years later brand new with like 10 games for $50. Star Raiders on 2600 was a bit rough, but that key pad was awesome! It was better than the membrane keyboard used on the 400.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Yeah. Star Raiders seems cooler on the 400mini. The 2600 version kind of sucked.

The original Star Raiders (1979, Atari 400) is a masterpiece, one of the early groundbreaking computer games that set the foundation for everything that would follow. It's amazing to imagine how such a rich 3D space environment is created with only 8k of memory. That's eight thousand bytes.

The Atari 5200 version makes a few improvements, mostly the analog controls plus a few minor bug fixes. The challenge, as always, is finding joysticks in working conditions, although there are now modifications and improvements that make those infamous joysticks work properly. Weirdly enough, the release of the 400 Mini has made me really want to own and collect for the 5200. Seriously! How does that happen? It must be "midlife crisis" thinking, because I did have one briefly back in 1994. They joysticks, of course, broke down just by breathing on them. Yuck. I never cared because the entire software library was dumped onto the 8-bit computers, so we could enjoy exclusive games like Space Dungeon. But I'd still like to experience analog play (and that wonderful trackball controller) on some of those classics.

Anyway, Star Raiders should absolutely be on your USB drive. You'll need to use a keyboard for the full experience, but it's worth it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here is a helpful video of tips for the Atari 400 Mini, including a trick for fixing a major flaw in the built-in joystick, accessing two hidden games on the menu, loading programs from BASIC, and playing 5200 games. I am still waiting to learn how we can use analog controllers on this device, including paddle, trackball and 5200 controllers.

There are several issues related to 400 Mini that I hope could be chalked up to "opening night jitters," and that Retro Games would fix with a system patch update.

Top Bottom