• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "bad ending" needs to die

Chase17

I'm sort of with you OP. Something like the WItcher or Persona 4 you could easily get the bad ending for some odd decisions and that would be pretty disappointing to me after so many hours.

Although I do like how it is implemented in some other games.

nikos

Multiple endings are probably the worst idea in gaming. I got a couple of bad endings in 999 and ended up dropping the game. Felt like I wasted hours.

On the other hand, games like Life is Strange feel different and extremely well done but technically also have multiple outcomes/endings.

Saven

Banned
I enjoy multiple endings, especially in horror games like RE and SH, if it's an rpg thst takes like 60 hours and you have to replay the entire game over again though, then yeah that can be a problem.

What I'm glad is gone are games coming to an abrupt end midway through, telling the player to play the game on the highest difficulty setting and basically that they suck, and forcing you to start all over again.

Er,
you might want to go back and watch the good ending, paying close attention to the very end. I'm pretty sure it is canon, just in a different way

They did, yeah, but I think it sets up Rev 3, or maybe even RE7, in a really good, subtle way. I dug it, but it's clearly not the end end, you know.

Missed that! However I would still be mighty damn confused when
Moira appears in the next game. Or I read someone talking about Moira being alive.

Good implementations of bad endings:

- The kind of ending you get depends on your game completion rate (Metroid, Kingdom Hearts)

Bad implementations of bad endings:

- The type of ending you get depends in any way on doing something excessively obscure (FFX-2, OP's example) (this is also true for literally anything in a game except for Easter Eggs)

To me Kingdom Hearts straddles this good/bad ending divide. "Didn't break records on the Gummi Ship stages? Too bad, you don't get the super special best ending."

But then KH doesn't really have a bad ending, just a missing bit of nonsensical lore if you didn't 100% the game. To me that exemplifies the 'poorly designed narrative' design problem illustrated elsewhere in the thread.

I'm wracking my brains for the types of bad endings that legit annoyed me and I can come up with two examples off the top of my head: Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage. If you didn't do the optional stuff your struggle is for nothing. If you didn't beat the game at its highest difficulty you still lose. Those really grind my gears, but thankfully the charm of those games isn't about the rich lore.

I'm sort of with you OP. Something like the WItcher you could easily get the bad ending for some odd decisions and that would be pretty disappointing to me after so many hours.

Although I do like how it is implemented in some other games.

I actually came here to use Witcher 3's bad ending as an example of a "good" bad ending. Yeah, there are some decisions that feel arbitrary that lead to it, but I thought the "bad" ending was so powerful in itself, that it's hard not to appreciate it. Just watching it on youtube made me tear up a bit. I can definitely understand not wanting to re go through a 100+ hour game again because
you were a "bad" parent towards Ciri

On the other hand, games like Life is Strange feel different and extremely well done but technically also have multiple outcomes/endings.

I feel like Life is Strange barely counts since it's literally one choice that determines the ending.

JackelZXA

Bad endings are cool. Most of the games that I like are games that are fun to play multiple times and if it's a story based game I want to try to get different endings each time. I like the idea that I can have radically different experiences. In something like Mass Effect it's fun to craft a specific shepard with a specific ideology and stick to that, rather than just going perfect run attempts every time. I actually wish bad endings were longer, and that we got full narrative resolutions to some of them. Getting fully animated "game overs" is cool, but getting to explore how that story would have gone without the hero's victory is really interesting as well. I love the idea that Silent Hill 3 continues from the Good+ ending of SH1, and Shattered Memories continues from the Bad ending. Split timelines that actually end up in parallel sequels are a very interesting potential of videogames narrative.

You must have not played Live A Live because that game has some of the best bad endings.
Also Zero Escape series had some good bad endings!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Undertale did a great bad ending, cause you actually know what your doing to get it. Bad actions = bad reward

DeSolos

AjfyC8ICIAEnmcL.jpg

It makes it more enjoyable for me that my good endings are earned.

No I'm with you man. Same shit happened to me in P4 the first time around, and it was a long drawn out experience, all to tell me "yeah, you fucked up".

carlsojo

I hate bad endings in games that are extremely long. Like if I got an ending I didn't like in Witcher 3, am I supposed to go through 100+ hours all over again? Fuck all that noise.

AjfyC8ICIAEnmcL.jpg

It makes it more enjoyable for me that my good endings are earned.

No I'm with you man. Same shit happened to me in P4 the first time around, and it was a long drawn out experience, all to tell me "yeah, you fucked up".

This is another great example of a bad bad ending (P4).

JC Lately

Good implementations of bad endings:

- The game offers clear choices that influence the outcome (Myst, BioShock)
- The kind of ending you get depends on your game completion rate (Metroid, Kingdom Hearts)
- The bad ending is tied to optional content (Chrono Trigger) or is just the less good ending with a better one gated behind optional content (Metroid and Kingdom Hearts, again)
- The game offers you a joke bad ending (Golden Sun, Super Paper Mario)
- It's unclear which ending is the good one and which one is the bad one (Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne)

I’d add:
- The bad ending works with the established mechanics of the game to further the theme and/or plot (Zero Escape series, Undertale).

Parfait

...who enjoys this though?

I think OP has a point tbh

I love bad ends because they appropriately both punish poor decisions you made and reward decision making in a concrete way.

What the OP really wants is probably a much clearer cut way of knowing what a poor decision is and if it locks you into a path.

I hate bad endings in games that are extremely long. Like if I got an ending I didn't like in Witcher 3, am I supposed to go through 100+ hours all over again? Fuck all that noise.
Live with your ending, especially in choice-driven games. That's why I only play narrative adventures games like The Walking Dead once. The ending I got is the ending I got, because of my choices.

If you don't like it because it's a stupidly written ending, that's one thing. But if the ending is "bad" because of what you did and how you acted through the game and you don't like it, that's on you.

IMO People who play games again and again to get different endings are missing the point of multiple endings. It's not a list to check off, but a way to assign some consequences to your actions.

brawly

From now on tell yourself your ending is the only one and there are no other endings. Clearly you can't deal with it and they're not gonna go away.

An ending shouldn't really diminish the hole journey either. I forget most endings myself.

SeanTSC

I mean seriously who thinks these are a good idea? I just beat Revelations 2 and got the bad ending. How the hell am I supposed to know I'm supposed to do something in chapter 3 to get a "good ending?"

I'm not sitting here reading what to do with an FAQ every step of the way as that kills the enjoyment of the game. As a result, the ending I get is weak and unsatisfying, and I have to look up the real ending on youtube. I shouldn't have to do that. I feel happy and relieved beating a end boss and it should give me the payoff in game damn it.

What does this add to a game experience other than serving no other purpose than to make it worse? I mean it's right there in the name of it, "BAD ending." As in, making the game worse. RER 2 isn't the only offender either just the most recent to piss me off.

I can understand frustrations with Bad Endings, but I think they add stuff to games.

Also, you picked a bad one to complain about, because Revelations 2 ending is EXTREMELY easy to change and see. All you have to do is replay that one part of that chapter and make one choice in the chapter and then after you beat the level quit out back to chapter select and go right to the end of the game. It's really, really easy to switch and not a big deal. It's not like you have to replay the whole game.

You can actually change a LOT of Revelations 2 like that. Just hit up a chapter, on ANY difficulty, make a different decision, and it will change routes and stuff for you.

IMO People who play games again and again to get different endings are missing the point of multiple endings. It's not a list to check off, but a way to assign some consequences to your actions.

Shadow deserved better and I don't feel bad for going back to the floating island and waiting for him rather than leaping to Setzer's airship at the first opportunity. Playing through World of Ruin is literally FF6's ending, not that cutscene after Kefka goes down. :p

Also, it was fun to turn the world into reptites in Chrono Trigger at least once.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Shadow deserved better and I don't feel bad for going back to the floating island and waiting for him rather than leaping to Setzer's airship at the first opportunity. Playing through World of Ruin is literally FF6's ending, not that cutscene after Kefka goes down. :p

Also, it was fun to turn the world into reptites in Chrono Trigger at least once.

Yeah, I had to go back for Shadow, too. It's not his fault I let that countdown clock freak me out.

KJRS_1993

I'm personally not a fan of games in a series that have numerous different endings.

I don't like not knowing which is the "right" ending. Especially in the sequel when the game might assume that a different sequence of events happened to the ones you directly witnessed on-screen.

Balder's Gate II was particularly annoying when you'd meet numerous party members from the first game who you watched get brutally slaughtered just wandering around.

You know what is a bigger crime? Incomplete endings!
I hate the idea of locking an ending to some barrier (difficulty is the worst one).
Just had to do it.

specdot

What about only bad endings?

school days
Nice Boat.
OP would probably hate the Atelier series then. I like the concept of multiple endings, but I'd like for them to be obtainable in one play through. When I realized I couldn't get the best ending in Atelier Meruru I stopped playing. Plus it wasn't as good as the first two.

Nachos

I'm all for multiple endings, but only if it's easy to retrace my steps to get a better one. Make me work for the true ending, but let me know where and how I can at least start to direct my efforts.

But I like bad endings. I wish more games would try the Persona 4 aproach.
You have to earn the good ending. You have all the pieces, you just have to calm down and think for a second. No bullshit, no spoonfeed tips. Just logic.
And it also goes along with the theme of the game.

I think vanilla P4 does it pretty poorly. The first decision is fine enough, but a few dialogue choices are so similar that it might be hard for some people to choose the right one, because more than one might seem valid. As for the true ending requirement, it's terrible. In vanilla,
you jump straight from December to the day you're supposed to move in March.

You tell everyone goodbye, and then you're presented with a simple prompt asking if you'll go home to get ready to move. Only after refusing and going to the mall, which prompts you twice to head back, does everyone else start pouring on about how they're uncomfortable leaving things as they are. They had three months to talk about this, yet they think investigative brinkmanship is a good idea. When you're giving your farewells, not once do any of them give a sign that they're uncomfortable or that they have something on their mind. Nanako gives you a letter that tells you that there's more to the mystery before you even leave the house. Yet, despite it being in your pocket the entire time, you only think to read it after going through three refusals. Why would you have that resistance if you still wanted to investigate?

I've heard people talk about how the Izanagi/Izanami lesson and the gas station attendant only appearing during rainy days are foreshadowing. The problem is that they don't foreshadow that the unanswered mysteries aren't just lingering plot holes. This is the game that goes through the exact same "You're not me" spiel multiple times and that has Naoto – a genius – think that getting kidnapped without anything to capture footage of the act is a good idea. There are enough leaps of logic and stupidity to make you wonder if it's just the writers losing the thread or the budget. All that in a 50+ hour RPG, so if you started a new game+ or erased your data, it'd be hard to go back.

The Zero Escape games wouldn't work if not for bad endings.

EDIT:

In order to get the best ending in 999, (big spoilers!)
you first have to get a certain "bad ending" and then replay the game making all of the opposite choices. These choices, combined with your memories of the other path, allow the good ending to happen.

999 was fun, but (ending spoilers)
there's no real indication that there's more to the story, and certainly not in that way. I think the only way you'd find the ending naturally is by lucking out. The game lets you go on the true ending path and stops you before the finale if you haven't gotten the safe ending, and treats that as its own. Even if you exhausted all the other possibilities, if you assumed that the path you took previously still lead to the coffin ending, you'd have no reason to retrace your steps.

I know people thought VLR's flowchart killed the tension of decisions, but I really appreciated how it respected the player's time, even if was still full of unskippable conversations that said the same basic point and had tons useless walking animations.

Valus

Didn't the whole plot of Shadow Hearts 2 start from the bad ending in Shadow Hearts 1? In that case no, we need bad endings if it creates gems like SH2

I would rather get rid of the "best" ending--the one that, because it requires the player to jump through hoops (sometimes with the help of a guide) and tends to resolve some extra plot thread or add some extra satisfying touch, marks the other endings as worse rather than just different.

jett

D-Member
When the ways for getting a particular ending is some seriously cryptic bullshit and you have to replay the entire game for it, I'm just gonna Youtube it these days. I actually got the "hardest" to get Dark Souls 3 ending on my first game, but I Youtubed all the rest. They all suck anyway.

Undertale was a recent exception. I think it just depends on the game.

You shouldn't be punished for going through an entire game but somehow playing "wrong".

I like how Halo does it: every difficulty gets the same ending, but legendary gets a little bonus.

Maybe expand on that by making the bonus more significant, but don't take away from the player who was dedicated enough to actually finish your game. Achievement data shows that these players are pretty rare.

Edit: I will say that bad endings can be well written and interesting, and therefor not punishing.

True Fire

Once you play Higurashi and Umineko you'll never look at bad endings the same again. They deconstructed the hell out of the idea.

joms5

I hate multiple endings altogether.

Main reason is because one ending is always better than the other. Perfect example is GTAIV. So I agree with OP.

If you have a good and a bad ending, pick whichever one is more satisfying from a narrative standpoint and ditch the other one.

Doesn't matter if there are very specific things you have to do to get the ending or if it's as simple as a a binary choice at the end of the game. Just do away with them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You really should spoiler tag that.
HF is great and I feel bad spoiling it for others.

Eh, its
decent. Payoff is def not worth it though unless we're counting normal end as canon(we aren't).

Machine

I thought there would be more talk about Valkyrie Profile. Does the game ever suggest all the things you have to do (manipulating secret values, sending up certain characters) in order to get the best ending?

Aeana

It's interesting how things have changed. Multiple endings used to be a positive thing, but now people feel entitled to the best outcome regardless of what they do in the game. One of the strengths of video games as a medium is that branching storylines are so easy to do, but apparently they need to end in the same place for people to be happy anymore.

I don't think the penchant for labeling endings as "good" or "best" or "bad" helps things, either. A lot of the tkme, they're just different.

I just thought of an example of bad endings gone horrendously wrong:

Fallout 3's lame slideshow somehow glitched and gave me the incorrect ending. I played like a goddamn saint and the game chastised me in the end for a decision I NEVER made. This was the cherry on top of an already horrible game and was easily one of the most frustrating experiences I had with a video game story.

ogbg

I just thought of an example of bad endings gone horrendously wrong:

Fallout 3's lame slideshow ending somehow glitched and gave me the incorrect ending. I played like a goddamn saint and the game chastised me in the end for a decision I NEVER made. This was the cherry on top of an already horrible game and was easily one of the most frustrating experiences I had with a video game story.

That sounds like a bug more than anything about the concept of multiple endings

To me Kingdom Hearts straddles this good/bad ending divide. "Didn't break records on the Gummi Ship stages? Too bad, you don't get the super special best ending."

When I say "obscure," I mean things like

Firstly, you must talk with Maechen in Guadosalam in Chapter 3, and secondarily, when Yuna falls into the Farplane/Field of flowers in Chapter 3 press X until you hear whistling 4 times. When you press 'X' in the field of flowers (Farplane Abyss) at the end of the game you'll be given an option by the fayth. Select the first one ('Yes!') to get this ending.

That's straight-up bullshit.

Top Bottom