• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga Kickstarter project by Stoic [Ended, 723K funded]

Steam can do DRM-free releases. Sort of. DRM-free stuff can be launched without Steam running in the background. The problem is installing the game in the first place.

It's sometimes possible to just copy the game folder from an existing installation onto a different computer but this will cause trouble if registry information is required. So for newer DRM-free Steam releases, you still need Steam to actually install the game.

Yuck. Cheers for the info.

Guess I'll wait to see what their other distribution methods are to be. I guess GOG is a possibility now that they're doing new games as well.

Dynoro

Going in at a low level for now; but will up it if they clarify the whole chapter idea as the art is beautiful and it sounds like a neat game

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
by the way - I expected stuff like that to come out of Bioware two years ago after Zeschuk said that they are going to make smaller games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
by the way - I expected stuff like that to come out of Bioware two years ago after Zeschuk said that they are going to make smaller games.

It keeps getting canceled or rolled into bigger games.

Sonic Chronicles 2 was canned.

Mass Effect Team Assault got merged into Mass Effect 3.

Whatever Dragon Age mobile was supposed to be ceased existing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It keeps getting canceled or rolled into bigger games.

Sonic Chronicles 2 was canned.

Mass Effect Team Assault got merged into Mass Effect 3.

Whatever Dragon Age mobile was supposed to be ceased existing.

what a shame.

also since Alextended is away you can transform this thread into Kickstarter one by changing its title. More people should see it, the game looks good. Can't back it up until April though.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Just donated 10$. I am a poor student, but I love viking stuff and the art is amazing. Also looks like they're trying to get it into Steam so that's another great bonus.

Raising 60,000$ in 2 days makes me confident they will reach their goal and more.

Decado

I think I'll put in $10. The idea is cool, but the talent involved doesn't tell me they should be able to make a high quality turn-based tactical. What I *really* don't like (and why I'll never put more than $10 in) are these bits:

• Porting to more devices. Our first release will be on PC and Mac, but funding would allow us to convert the game to iOS, the Kindle Fire, consoles like XBLA and PSN and maybe even portable gaming devices like the Vita.
  • Localization (translation) in more places. Viking culture is huge in Europe and turn based strategy is big in Japan. We'd love to bring The Banner Saga to both of those places and anywhere else we find significant interest.

Um...are we funding this so the developer can make more money or so they can make a great game? IMO, they should do this sort of thing of the proceeds once the game is shipped and sold.

Also concerned about their split focus (single/multiplayer). They don't seem big enough to be doing that.

catabarez

I think I'll put in $10. The idea is cool, but the talent involved doesn't tell me they should be able to make a high quality turn-based tactical. What I *really* don't like (and why I'll never put more than $10 in) are these bits:

• Porting to more devices. Our first release will be on PC and Mac, but funding would allow us to convert the game to iOS, the Kindle Fire, consoles like XBLA and PSN and maybe even portable gaming devices like the Vita.
  • Localization (translation) in more places. Viking culture is huge in Europe and turn based strategy is big in Japan. We'd love to bring The Banner Saga to both of those places and anywhere else we find significant interest.

Um...are we funding this so the developer can make more money or so they can make a great game? IMO, they should do this sort of thing of the proceeds once the game is shipped and sold.

Also concerned about their split focus (single/multiplayer). They don't seem big enough to be doing that.
Isn't that pretty much what Double Fine did?

Halfmunch

This looks great~ I want this to be so awesome and I love the Eyvind Earle inspired environment art! go Kickstarter go!~

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm honestly more excited at the notion that they are using King of Dragon Pass and the Sleeping Beauty artwork as major sources of inspiration. Using the typical Tactics in the battle system is icing on the cake.

They've updated their kickstarter, "chapter 1" is a full game.

I always figured the "chapter 1" to be an idealized first entry in to a franchise, rather than the definition of chapter games with what Telltale have used successfully. The only thing missing was the team outright stating that they want to create a series out of it, besides of the fact that the word "Saga" is right there in the game's title. Now with the FAQ updated maybe all the questions toward what "chapter" meant may be put to rest.

Is it wrong that I'm more excited for this than DFA and W2?

Nope that is correct ;)

Point and click games are still made plus we don't even know title yet.

Wasteland 2 is cool but won't be here till late 2013

this one has trailer and screenshots and release date in 2012 ;)

I'd like to play Vita version - that artwork on that screen :D
Also the more platforms they release the more funds they will have for next games in saga.
And I don't know about You but I'm not "funding" anything - I'm paying in advance for game that will be deliver around end of year.

Victrix

*beard*
I either really love tbs games or really hate them, and I don't like episodic games, so despite the awesomeness of the art and the team pedigree, think I'll be waiting on this one

It's on track to get funded easily, so if it releases and everyone says its the goddamn bomb I'll hop onboard, but that's too many reservations for me to plonk down the dough.

Wait, what?

More people playing their game means they care more about money than the game?
Making it so it actually makes a profit means they care more about money than the game?

Are you serious?

Yes, let's stop making a profit because that's bad.

Sentenza

Already reached 75% of their goal. Should hit 100k sometime today.
Unless they get some good additional press coverage (like the trailer they are just trying to push on GameTrailers, so far without success), I would say tomorrow.
Too slow to top 100lk today.

Minsc

Gold Member
Unless they get some good additional press coverage (like the trailer they are just trying to push on GameTrailers, so far without success), I would say tomorrow.
Too slow to top 100lk today.

Looks like you might wanna revise your timeframe a bit, nearing 90% and has been holding on to a steady pace!

matmanx1

This looks and sounds awesome. So glad to see the Kickstarter going well. I hope this comes out on several mobile devices including the Vita. I love srpg's on my lunch break!

bengraven

Reading Northlanders right now and have The Longships on hold.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. And I fucking love TBS. I think this is the first Kickstarter game I would actually finish.

I loved every single thing they said in that video and backed it for $50. That's the kind of video people need to have, ideally. And a resounding 'yes' to going back to the fine lines and articulate rotoscoped posing of Snow White. Over $95k now with 31 days still left.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Northlanders right now and have The Longships on hold.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. And I fucking love TBS. I think this is the first Kickstarter game I would actually finish.

The Longships is an amazing book.

Top Bottom