• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best horror game of all time is...

Brhoom

Banned
Dead Space being listed here makes me cry, have standards people.

It's like mentioning Paper Mario Sticker Star in a "best rpg game" thread.

Zero Punctuation said it best: an action game that ate marinara sauce too quickly.

finley83

Banned
I've played and finished SH2 exactly once, and thought it was a great experience that I never want to repeat. Mainly because I felt so depressed after finishing it that I had to play Super Mario for a while to take the edge off.

I don't think I can remember another game that's had that effect on me.

Ophiuchus

While I agree with most of comments I see fewer Silent Hill 4 choices among them.This game had the atmosphere equivalent to original one.

I think original Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark will be my top choices followed by SH: Shattered Memories,Parasite Eve,Fatal Frame, Dino Crisis and Amnesia TDD.

AwShucks

Dead Space 1. I'm a sucker for abandoned space ships. Loved the beginning of Alien Isolation but got too motion sick playing it

ZanDatsu

Definitely Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the Silent Hill games don't even come close―didn't find them scary at all.

The Penumbra series had its moments as well, but Amnesia executed those ideas in a much better way.

Dead Space being listed here makes me cry, have standards people.

It's like mentioning Paper Mario Sticker Star in a "best rpg game" thread.

Zero Punctuation said it best: an action game that ate marinara sauce too quickly.

Action games can be horror as well. Resident Evil 4 is another example.

And Dead Space is a tremendous game.

Piers

P.T.'s ghost gave me nightmares for a long time about having my neck snapped. Not since a kid has a piece of horror media stuck with me like that.

Wait, gang rape? I thought it was just her dad molesting her represented in that monster.
Father and brother both, though I don't really know or want to get into the specifics of 'rape versus molestation'.

Silent Hill 3 is way more uh, visually inprintable on the brain but I believe it's because no one has even come close to capturing that red orange grunge aesthetic since, except perhaps Siren games? The amount of mutilation, gore, and pain just imbued in the environments is enough to give nightmares.

Peterc

I think alone in the dark 1 and 2 are still the best ones. It's not about the scary factor but about the feeling

drotahorror

Definitely Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the Silent Hill games don't even come close―didn't find them scary at all.

The Penumbra series had its moments as well, but Amnesia executed those ideas in a much better way.

Honestly, Amnesia is one of the wackest horror games I've ever played. I'm glad it was popular and made the devs money or else we wouldn't have got SOMA, which was amazing. Also I don't base games on how good they are based on how scary they are. Same with movies. Movies and games aren't scary (although some can be eerie, although extremely rare). I would never like anything in this genre that I love so much if I had to think they were scary to be good.

I think I'll just agree with OP, Silent Hill 2 is the best horror game of all time. P.T. was one of the best experiences I've had in a horror game as well.

I'm going to have to go with something a bit unorthodox but for me personally it's:

PSX Doom

A testament to what sound design and lighting can do to a game. Play that game on a high difficulty level and it turns into borderline Survival Horror stressfest really quickly if you happen to die and play by its rules of losing everything.

The up-til-now unmatched eeriness of the music, tight corridors and fucked up monster sounds make it feel so isolated in later levels considering you're one guy in hell.

Obviously it's not a pure Horror title like Silent Hill or RE but it's my personal favorite. Also, best and most evil OST of all time for my money.

cr0w

Old Member
It's there, friend. Absolutely.

It took me until my 3rd playthrough of the game for me to discover it, long after I was cocky enough to think "I know everything about this game" and it made me jump out in absolute terror.

The game is sheer genius. It's my favorite work of art and the fact it was created by human hands is... it empowers me, man

Oh thank God it's real.

Hmmm. This has always been a difficult one for me; but i usually go with the more Niche games in the genre.... so my favorite horror games are as followed:

1. Kuon
2. Eternal Darkness
3. Obscure
4. Haunting Ground
5. Clock tower 3
6. The Fatal Frame Series (1-5)
7. The Calling
8. Siren Blood Curse
9. Silent Hill 4 The Room
10. Cursed Mountain
57418_front.jpg
9847_front.jpg
58384_front.jpg

63552_front.jpg
13631_front.jpg
114924_front.jpg

80722_front.jpg
58135_front.jpg
102477_front.jpg

18879_front.jpg
167770_front.jpg
66262_front.jpg

94065_front.jpg
385109_front.jpg

This. Nothing tops the first Fatal Frame when it comes to sheer horror and scaring you shitless. Fatal Frame 2 is also one of the best horror games ever and belongs in every horror game top 5, shame that no one gave either the shoutout on the first page they deserve.
To be fair, this guy did:
Project Zero II

Fuck Japanese ghosts. Some frightning backstory to the ghosts themselves and some great scary, atmospheric moments overall.
Though he went by the Japanese name and the sequel instead of the first one.

Are the Nintendo ones any good? I also haven't played the third one (even though I own it on PS3-BC).

although it fits into multiple genres, SOMA recently became my favourite horror game of all time, no contest. It's a masterpiece.

Perfectly captures the mystery and terror of the deep ocean.

11722297_10155864045675441_7029609262653568484_o.jpg

Alienfan

What happened to good Japanese horror films and games? A genuine question. Is it just a matter of me not looking in the right places? It feels like early 2000s - 2010 there are a ton of great examples from, but not a lot beyond that.

What happened to good Japanese horror films and games? A genuine question. Is it just a matter of me not looking in the right places? It feels like early 2000s - 2010 there are a ton of great examples from, but not a lot beyond that.

The movies still exist (a really good zombie horror movie called I Am a Hero came out earlier this year), but the games fell off because the genre fell off after the PS2 generation. RE went more toward an action route and Konami took Silent Hill away from Team Silent, so the two most well known Japanese horror games basically went away for a whole generation.

Yep, it's Silent Hill 2!

Yeah. I mean in the last so many years, we've had good horror games, what with the dead space series, evil within is good enough, Amnesia, SOMA, Alien Isolation, Outlast, and so on.. But NONE of them have the same feel as those PSone, PS2 survival horror games.

Ranger X

I don't like "horror games". I think its bullshit just like "horror movies". There's no horror movies, most are comedies with gore. Let's agree on "thrillers". That's all this should all be called. Anyways, my personal best on that style...

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil (remade version)
Dead Space

I failed to become interested in any similar game lately though. I dunno, always the same thing, I get bored so fast. Suspension of disbelief doesn't work, I dunno, I don't like them anymore.

Silent Hill 2
Rule of Rose

Both are amazing in their own way, but for the same core reason. They tell stories that get under your skin. That are messed up and play with your brain. No other games besides there two have been able to do that to me.

But Silent Hill 2 is the best. Horror to me is not about feeling scared or those moments that make me scream. It's about the psychological trip, about feeling disturbed and making me think about the things I'm experiencing.

I don't like "horror games". I think its bullshit just like "horror movies". There's no horror movies, most are comedies with gore. Let's agree on "thrillers". That's all this should all be called.
The best horror movies tend to have little gore (or at least subdued gore), and often more concerned with creating atmospheres of dread and unease rather than scaring you with jump scares.

Dalibor68

Banned
Gotta give a shout out to the Penumbra series. Was so scared shitless and uncomfortable when I first played it. And they caught perfectly the fantasy of this icy underground facility. Rather low production values also actually kind of helped the feel.

aasoncott

So little recognition of indie horror games in this thread. A shame, as that's where a lot of the masterpieces really are.

YwtZx6.png

XDdGNE.jpg

HRjTfS.png

Everyone owes it to themselves to download one of Kitty Horrorshow's games. Start with CHYRZA. It's free, and I'd argue better than 99% of the games mentioned here.

She's nailed my favourite type of horror. No gore, no jumpscares, no cheap tricks. Just an absolute, unnerving feeling that you don't want to know the end of the story.

Top Bottom