• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best of Retronauts (presented by This Year)

qnpffem.png

This Year is continuing with its best-ofs of 1UP podcasts as we cover (for the first time) Retronauts. Retronauts was, of course, 1UP's great retro games podcast. It was one of the first podcasts I ever listened to, and maybe it's just podcast nostalgia (though I doubt it), but I'm convinced that it's one of the best gaming podcasts ever created. And it has been, of course, recently rebooted; I believe the new show kicks off next month. This is a best-of compilation only for the 2007 year of the show. We've done these compilation shows in the past for other 1UP programs, namely 1UP Yours and GFW Radio.

Within we hear discussed such topics as the history of survival horror, 8-bit Mario games, the Atari 2600, and the Commodore 64, among a number of other things. The best-of includes such luminaries as Jeremy Parish, Chris Kohler, Scott Sharkey, Shane Bettenhausen, and Jenn Frank. Here's a blurb I wrote:

Retronauts was part of the 1UP Network's expansion into podcasting in 2006, appearing alongside popular shows like GFW Radio and 1UP Yours. As dreary as host Jeremy Parish liked to suggest it might be—he termed it 1UP's only podcast "for old people"—the podcast was anything but. Though it might not have been as bombastic as its sister programs, Retronauts was in fact just as entertaining, thought-provoking and, more often than not, funny. A well researched, informative journey through video game history, Retronauts was a podcast of inestimable value: not only a rare thing—a history podcast that never bored—but an important aural vade mecum of the games so many people love today.

My favorite topic in the whole show is the survival horror one. It's a must-listen. You can download the best-of here (410 mins/188MB) and there's more information at our site. There you'll find a link to our iTunes show page, RSS feed, Twitter, et cetera. Thanks for your continued support! We receive a ton of feedback here which is great and is really appreciated. Please enjoy the program.

Download our best-of for the show's 2008 year here!

Khronico

Yesssss.... I love This Year collections. Bombcast and GFW Radio collections were amazing, can't wait to listen to this one.

bigkrev

While 2008 was a better year. (Jeremy's Bionic Commando fan fiction, Saturn episode, Shane and Christian sharing a special Phantasy Star moment), 2007 was awesome. Any chance of going back and doing 2006?

Talon

Favorite gaming podcast of all time. GFW was more of an entertainment show, which I loved for its own reasons.

The episodes with Parish - Sharkey - Shane - Ray - Jenn were the best. Sharkey's snippy sarcasm and Parish's practicality against Shane, Ray and Jenn's enthusiasm. The best.

While 2008 was a better year. (Jeremy's Bionic Commando fan fiction, Saturn episode, Shane and Christian sharing a special Phantasy Star moment), 2007 was awesome. Any chance of going back and doing 2006?

I listened back through 2006 in preparation for this, but I don't think there was much worth including. Absolutely no disrespect intended in that to the cast -- when the podcast started out it was a lot shorter and the discussions were much more superficial. It didn't really pick up until the video game music episode, which I think happened to be the first show of 2007.

And I totally agree that 2008 was a better year, and in fact our best-of for '08 will be out on October 1st. The Sega Saturn episode is legendary, as is the Final Fantasy VII show, which was basically Shane vs. The World.

Those who haven't heard any of our content before can check out our archive, along with our upcoming episodes.

I distinctly remember the music episode. Stellar stuff.

Nice thing about this show is it was timeless to begin with so it's pretty much like listening to them the day they were first released.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Definitely the best 1up Podcast. Holds up over repeat listens. I've listened to some of these so many times. I always find something new. That said, I don't know how you can recut the Survival Horror podcast into a greatest hits podcast.

Just kidding, there are so many retronauts treasures. Thank you, Jeremy & Co!

The survival horror podcast reminds me of going to the museum on school trips with your crazy science professor who had an amazingly ridiculously awesomely cool story to tell at every single exhibit in the museum. Some were only tangentially related but by the time he was done you were like O_O and you would run home and try and recreate the battle of antietam with stick figures

-Mikey-

I love the Halloween episode. I remember Jenn Frank talking about playing games with her dad. Thanks so much for this!

I've listened to each episode of Retronauts so many times that I can probably pull all of this from memory, but I'm down for another listen. And I'm incredibly excited for the new series.

kYe6LZK.png

We just released our follow-up best-of for the year 2008. This best-of completes our coverage of the original run of Retronauts, where all the classic 1UP crew was still together. That's it for this show for now; we'll probably cover the later years of Retronauts at some point, but until then, enjoy the best of those landmark two years, 2007 and 2008.

You can download the MP3 here. It's just over nine-hours long; basically, it's just a compilation of our favorite episodes and email/news segments into one show. And if you like our show, I'd be really appreciative if you subscribed/rated/and even reviewed (!) us on the iTunes.

Top Bottom