• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

hfcfE.jpg

Devo's dating profile, probably

Man, I'm eating some Chick-fil-A right now, this spicy sandwich is so GODLIKE. And this lemonade!? Fuckin' forget about it. Today is a good day.

Why do black kids still sit in the back of the bus would be such an excellent troll thread.

You can do "back of the class" and work just as well. Even in college, black dudes come in to new class, head straight to the seats in the back.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Devo's dating profile, probably

Man, I'm eating some Chick-fil-A right now, this spicy sandwich is so GODLIKE. And this lemonade!? Fuckin' forget about it. Today is a good day.

You can do "back of the class" and work just as well. Even in college, black dudes come in to new class, head straight to the seats in the back.

ive never eaten at a chick fil-a. i hear it spoken about, but never had the need to go to one.

and the back of the class thing is true. i do it all the time, but mainly because i can see from the back, and i know theres quite a few people that cant.

DominoKid

lol i used to consciously avoid doing this but then i realized a few things
1. i dont like being called on
2. i dont like paying attention
3. i like talking in class

thus the front of the class is not for me.
although i did get better grades when i sat in front...

Yasae

Banned
Dude was supposed to be back like the first week of April.

I know in the Tokyo travel thread he was inquiring about places to stay. I have a theory that what happened to him is probably on some Hostel meets Takashi Miike shit.
Occam's Razor sez:

He fell off the boat

Dabanton

I must say i'm impressed at the amount of articles that have been coming out in the last few weeks about how shows like 'Girls' etc treat ethnicity in general. Now 'Girls' is not the first and it certainly won't be the last show that seeks to whether on purpose or by 'unthinking' to have no people of colour seen in non-stereotypical roles or at all.

'Girls' has had the unfortunate problem of coming along when the internet and blogs and commentary articles are at their height and Twitter and facebook mean that people can share more information like how Lesley Arfin (staff writer for Girls) is a 'casual' racist. That can add disturbing layers to the show.

People now have a voice and can comment and say that what they see on their TV's is the same old, same old world where people of colour are pushed off to the sidelines. Not that they should care about this show in particular if Lena Dunham thinks this represents her vison of new york then so be it. But she can expect to be called on it. But this is one part of a larger problem of how most TV and film is 'quietly' segregated.

Anyway the article covers Friends,Seinfeld and Sex In The City.

Some quotes from said article

Another week, another episode of Girls with no black people, another Gawker Media piece about why it's fucked up to not include black people in your show about New York, another article from angry neocons attacking Gawker Media. The dust Lena Dunham's new HBO show has managed to kick up thus far is remarkable in light of its relatively average ratings. But it's also noteworthy because far fewer people seemed to care when the crimes of which the show is accused happened before—many times. Though it's taken on different iterations throughout the years, the white-ified TV New York City has served as a backdrop for lots of America's most beloved programs, and there is no sign that that trend is slowing. Hate Girls all you want, but recognize that Dunham is following a precedent that started even before she was born.

The Honeymooners didn't have any blacks in it, of course, despite the fact that New York City was already about 14 percent black by 1960. But that was a long time ago. In the 1980s, when Seinfeld premiered, Dunham was 3. Seinfeld is probably the most "New York" TV show in history in that it accurately gets at the quotidian indignities, stresses, and petty bickering a person must endure to live in New York City. New Yorkers liked Seinfeld because it was all about the ordinary problems New Yorkers faced: an awkward encounter with a romantic interest at the gym, a foolish interaction with a stranger on the subway. But while the show's verisimilitude was its greatest strength, that's also what made its dearth of people of color particularly irritating—how could they get it so right in so many areas while totally ignoring one that really mattered to millions of non-white New Yorkers?

In 1998, the year Seinfeld went off the air, Sex and the City premiered and continued whitewashing the titular City. Though Carrie Bradshaw and her shoe crew were always out and about in the ultra-diverse New York, they were somehow able to constantly avoid serious interactions with black and brown people (save for obnoxious transsexual prostitutes). To be fair, throughout the majority of the show, the quartet refused to leave the whitest parts of Manhattan, lest they should run into the unwashed dark thugs in the outer boroughs. But that never totally explained how women so professionally and personally invested in New York's culture scene, a scene influenced deeply by young black people, were also content never talking to black people.

It's a failing of contemporary American culture that if there's ever a discussion about adding a black character to a show, people immediately think that means a slang-spitting, wise-cracking stereotype. They assume the person asking for diversity is asking for the show's creator to change the entire dynamic of the program. Instead, what's more often happening is that the person interested in diversity is simply asking for the show's creator to understand that black people can and do do everything white people do, usually making a character's race irrelevant.

There is currently not a single leading character on Girls that couldn't be played honestly and convincingly by a black actor or a Pakistani actor or a Taiwanese actor. It may come as a surprise to some Americans, but there are women of all races who freeload off their wealthy parents and work in tony art galleries. Alas, if you look at the full cast list for Girls, you'll see that minority actors don't play those kinds of girls. They're saved for special roles, a sampling of which includes:

Sidné Anderson as "Jamaican Nanny"
Jermel Howard as "Young Black Guy"
Moe Hindi as "Roosevelt Hotel Bellhop"
Jo Yang as "Tibetan Nanny"

hipster-racism-runoff-and-the-search-for-the-black-costanza

As an aside in that article they mention Wesley Morris a black film critic who won the Pulitzer last year for criticism

Morris owed part of his victory to his writing about the Fast and Furious film series. Though the Fast movies are almost universally mocked as obnoxious pieces of shit, Morris calls them "incredibly important" for their depictions of race. "nlike most movies that feature actors of different races, the mixing is neither superficial nor topical," Morris wrote of Fast Five. "It has been increasingly thorough as the series goes on—and mostly unacknowledged. That this should seem so strange, so rare, merely underscores how far Hollywood has drifted from the rest of culture."

Go on and laugh your Benetton, Kumbaya, Kashi, quinoa laugh, but it’s true: The most progressive force in Hollywood today is the “Fast and Furious” movies. They’re loud, ludicrous, and visually incoherent. They’re also the last bunch of movies you’d expect to see in the same sentence as “incredibly important.” But they are—if only because they feature race as a fact of life as opposed to a social problem or an occasion for self-congratulation. (And this doesn’t even account for the gay tension between the male leads, and the occasional crypto-lesbian make-out.)

Why a movie about car thieves is the most progressive force in American cinema

That's also worth a read as well

DominoKid

Girls sucks.
It's not even worth in-depth critiques like that.
Even if it's only 27 minutes.
That's 27 minutes of your life that you cant get back because you watched a crap ass show.

I wish How To Make It In America didn't get cancelled. Even if it wasn't that great. Still eons better than Girls.

masud

Banned
It always makes me mad when people complain about the lack of black people on new york tv shows without talking about all the other minorities that are also not represented. There are more (non black) hispanic people in nyc than black people but they don't exist in tv land new york either.

But yeah if you're from nyc the white washed tv versions of the city are quite jarring.

It always makes me mad when people complain about the lack of black people on new york tv shows without talking about all the other minorities that are also not represented. There are more (non black) hispanic people in nyc than black people but they don't exist in tv land new york either.

But yeah if you're from nyc the white washed tv versions of the city are quite jarring.

In general I find it jarring city not withstanding.

Dabanton

I saw a quote from the comments section of another site around that particular subject.

Include me in the growing number of women that have almost the same background as Lena's autobiographical characters on "Girls" but are non-white (Latina) and find the show irritatingly separatist.

I'm born and raised in Manhattan with the identical small, independent education background. Greenpoint and my current Brooklyn neighborhood are nearly identical in income, diversity and gentrification. We both share'd the same insecurities and self-sabotaging behavior that every NYC twenty-something experiences their first few years out of college. Same interests, same social life, same ridiculous clothing. Yet, the world of "Girls" is almost exclusively white. Frighteningly white. Writers and creative directors have a blank canvas to create whatever world they please when making art. If the world of "Girls" is as autobiographical and realistic as Lena and the critics claim it to be, I am truly frightened at how fast my story, my culture, my friendships or my relationships could be erased from my Caucasian counterparts' imagination.

As a Brooklynite, I find it near impossible to exclude the existence of non-white people from my daily life. Why is it such a breezy, brushed aside "mistake" (as she states in an HBO chat) to exclude it from hers? Did she NOT remain friends with one of the many students of color at St. Ann's and Oberlin? Are NONE of them in her social or networking circle? Does she NOT socially interact with the ridiculously large black/latino filmmaker community in Brooklyn? Has she NOT had an impacting conversation with a non-white person at the myriad of art/underground/dinner/house/bar/band/restaurant parties that most "hip" Brooklynites attend as part of their social lives? Has she NOT had a professional relationship with a Black/Latino colleague that was non-threatening , non-pitying y or unadmonishing? Does she have NO friends that are in serious, long-term relationships with someone outside their race? Has she NOT come across or spoken to any of her Greenpoint "neighbors" that are 20% Hispanic (mostly Puerto Rican)? As a New Yorker, it's impossible to answer yes to any of these questions, less so as a Brooklyn resident. Since Lena and the writing staff STILL managed to erase a whole wealth of cultures and populations from their creative universe, than I am truly frightened if she is believed to be "the voice of my generation"

Imm0rt4l

So today I went to the bookstore with a friend. She has much fondness for Native American culture, so we went looking for that section. It was literally in the back of the store, in the corner. I made a joke about it being 'back of the bus,' but then I had to smh when I realized that African American studies was at the very bottom of that shelf. Effed up or what?

I am tempted to document this with pictures or video.

On a happier note, a fine blasian employee was flirting heavily.

Obviously that you are cowering in fear from the impending GAF race war or something. :p

Respect.

I just watched Just Another Day with Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale) and Jamie Hector (Marlo Stanfield) playing two rapper, one who made it, the other trying to get his. The movie is above average, but the actors can actually spit, which gives it an extra layer of credibility. You believe either of these guys could be the characters they play. I mean, who actually believes Terrence Howard could be a rapper in Hustle and Flow?

abuC

I saw the previews for Girls on HBO weeks ago and just said "Nah", the women just looked like the type of people that refer to Spanish Harlem and Harlem as "SpaHa" and "SoHa".

abuC

I just watched Just Another Day with Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale) and Jamie Hector (Marlo Stanfield) playing two rapper, one who made it, the other trying to get his. The movie is above average, but the actors can actually spit, which gives it an extra layer of credibility. You believe either of these guys could be the characters they play. I mean, who actually believes Terrence Howard could be a rapper in Hustle and Flow?

I'll check it out off the strength of the name and actors, considering the title of the film did they use this song at any point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGY5EzA-h4

I'll check it out off the strength of the name and actors, considering the title of the film did they use this song at any point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGY5EzA-h4

No.

On the whitewashing phenomenon.
I notice this is especially true of print magazines. Of the 60-70 mags I see on the rack at the store I work at, there's 4 or 5 with a non white person on the cover. One with Rihanna, another with Terry Crews on the cover of some fitness mag, one with Oprah (but it's the official Oprah magazine. haha), and the GQ issue with Derek Rose. that's it, out of 5 dozen mags. Even the fucking knitting (all three of them) and bridal mags have zero racial diversity, lol.

White guy sitting on my chair during avengers, my homie and I roll up and activated

*The Dual Threatening Black Guy stare™* has anybody else attempted to voltron the stare on an unsuspecting victim this shit is incredible

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
White guy sitting on my chair during avengers, my homie and I roll up and activated

*The Dual Threatening Black Guy stare™* has anybody else attempted to voltron the stare on an unsuspecting victim this shit is incredible

Try it with your family. Its even more amusing. Nothing like seeing people move from your vicinity and not realizing whats going on initially, but once you do have a laugh at it.

Lebron

The "I wish a motherfucker would be in our seat" look? Yes, it tends to do 120 point of damage on non-blacks when activated.

Top Bottom