• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The blind nostalgia of Mario Kart 64.

Muffdraul

I absolutely loved SMK in 1992, and I also fell in love with MK64. After that, none of the MK sequels really did a whole lot for me. I'd get them on day 1, dabble for two or three days, then they'd collect dust. Wasn't until MK8 three years ago, that I finally fell in love again. Last time I played MK64 would have been whenever it hit Wii VC... as far as I can recall I thought it had aged but was still pretty damn fun.

Laieon

I know quite a few people who don't play games but will still play Mario Kart 64 at parties and stuff because they're familiar with it.

The best racing game on the N64 will forever be Beetle Adventure Racing though.

D-Man

I acknowledge it's not the best one, but I still love it to this day and go back to it often. It's a fun game.

Alchemy

Battle mode was some amazing fun, but yeah I'd still say that DKR is the better game. Especially that sound track :x

Majora

What? Are we talking about the same, walled off, overly long piece of boring arse here? Because no, fuck off with any thought that it was the best Rainbow Road, my god.

The only saving grace of that track was the ability to cheat and save a load of time literally waiting to finish the races on this insipid track.

Seriously. Rainbow Road in MK64 is absolutely terrible. It's waaaay too long for starters but it could have been redeemed if the barriers were absent or sparing. But for some reason they thought it'd be a good idea to fence the entire thing off, rendering it a life sapping, boring chore. Worst Rainbow Road in the series, easily. There's a reason MK8 completely retooled it.

Branduil

Boring, overly wide tracks; all characters are still sprites for some reason; way too many blue shells; and the worst Rainbow Road in the series, only redeemed by how Nintendo fixed it in 8.

I don't favour it to the Mario Karts that came after it, but I certainly like it more than Super Mario Kart. I feel like that's the game that has the blind nostalgia, but I didn't even like it that much at the time. Flat maps, bad music, ugly aesthetics, cheating-ass AI with abilities they can pull off whenever they want.
Agreed (except for music). SMK felt dated the moment I played MK64. I don't get the love for it today, I would say it still has the best music in the series though.

Also CTR wasn't that good. Speed Freaks/Speed Punks was the vastly superior PlayStation Kart racer.

combine42

Neo Member
played beerio-kart a few days ago with some friends. It's still an awesome game that my friends and I play once every few months. Simple to get into, hard to master. The graphics are a bit rough now though. But as a drinking game its so much fun.

Durden77

I acknowledge it's not the best one, but I still love it to this day and go back to it often. It's a fun game.

Just wanna drop by and say this, posts like this I completely understand.

I hope people read the entire OP, in which I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with loving MK64 for the memories it has created and the certain type of feelimg it can bring.

It's just when people say it is actually the best GAME in the series that drives me nuts. Now reading through some responses here that actually made their case on why they truly think MK64 actually owns, I can listen to that and kind of get that. Just like I said in the OP. I still do not agree, but thank you for taking the time ro present why you think so.

The most frustrating part is most people (at least that I know) that hold MK64 in such high regard shun all other Mario Karts. And that, just seems stupid. Especially because if you give them a chance, you may be surprised to find that they may be better.

Now I'm gonna get back to drinking and playing MK8DX with buds.

Bgamer90

Banned
-The atmosphere. There is something about MK 64 that i can't put my finger on. It has a weird "emptiness" feel that i personally find interesting. I especially like the "darker" levels (Bowser Castle and the one with the ghosts) for that reason. Generally, it doesn't give you the feel of a flashy, loud event like later MK games do. I do understand that it was probably a hardware limitations thing and not a design choice though. But still, i like it.

Yeah, this is very spot on. It really nailed the "competitive Nintendo racing" vibe in terms of presentation and music without looking or sounding too colorful and squeaky clean. It gave the game an edginess that isn't in any other Mario Kart.

I agree with others that the game is pretty overrated. I remember reading reviews for the game back in 1997 and it seemed like many people felt the game didn't look good -- especially in comparison to other racers during the time.
I enjoyed the game during the time and was pretty amazed by the track design though. I would still put Super Mario Kart above it due to tighter gameplay in my opinion.

The best Mario Kart to me is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The worst is Mario Kart Wii.

jnWake

I have awesome memories of MK64 playing with friends and family. Battle mode was great and I loved the Versus mode that didn't have CPUs too.

However, I played MK64 a few years ago and it was so so bad, especially after MK8. I could barely drift lol.

DonMigs85

MK64 was nice when it first came out, and has some great music, but Diddy Kong Racing was already far superior IMO, and I think every Mario Kart that came out after it except maybe Super Circuit was superior.

I probably sank an equal amount of time into SMK and MK64, both alone and with friends back in the day. I always thought they felt unique enough to stand by themselves, though of course everyone would have some things they wished were the same, that one had that they wished the other did etc.

It doesn't feel quite the same to drive, but it was tight in it's own way. Mastering the mini-turbos (before they oversimplified them) and other techniques made time trial highly addicting. 2 player GP with the CPU was where most of my time was spent - instead of a lone cup, we'd tally results from all 4 cups to determine the winner. House rules like that, and which bugged-out shortcuts you can attempt, or as someone else mentioned, just teaming up to take out the cheating AI. We made our own games within the game cause it was just fun. I feel like modern kart might be more refined, but it's maybe less nuanced. It had it's quirks but a lot of it felt intentional and ultimately ended up making it more fun. Even busted speed in 3P DK Jungle Parkway!

Battle mode in 4 player was a great improvement over 2 players just by default. But the larger arenas, lack of feather, the karts just generally being less snappy - we never had moments quite as exciting as SMK's best.

I'll happily argue that nothing in the later games beats the feel of flinging a green shell while turning in the original SMK, watching it arch around a barrier and WHACK right on target. They're much much too slow and basic in their movement in modern kart.

That way you can make the game your own is gives MK64 longevity over Diddy Kong Racing though. They both run like dogs now, but MK64 is still fun. When i first got DKR, sure, it looked much better and adventure mode is awesome! But by the time i finished that bastard Wizpig the 2nd time? Never wanted to play it again. I feel sorry for any actual kids who picked up that game. And the multiplayer was just plain slow and boring compared to MK64.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I hated MK64 when it came out. I thought the weapons were trash. Most of the tracks we're poorly laid out.

It was the first time I really remember Nintendo disappointing me.

I really liked MKDS, MK7 AND 8 as fun distractions, but the series has never returned to the insane precision jumps and steering as the first game had. Now there are plants and giant bullet bills. If anything I didn't like the lightening in SMK, but at least that hit first and second place equally. The series has devolved into too much bullshit that is far too punitive towards the leader.

I'll always view the popularity of MK64 as the thing that put a pillow over the head of my favorite SNES games design. Super Circuit may actually be the best in the series. A return to form.

Baleoce

I hated MK64 when it came out. I thought the weapons were trash. Most of the tracks we're poorly laid out.

I really liked MKDS, MK7 AND 8 as fun distractions, but the series has never returned to the insane precision jumps and steering as the first game had. Now there are plants and giant bullet bills. If anything I didn't like the lightening in SMK, but at least that hit first and second place equally. The series has devolved into too much bullshit that is far too punitive towards the leader.

I'll always view the popularity of MK64 as the thing that put a pillow over the head of my favorite SNES games design. Super Circuit may actually be the best in the series. A return to form.

You should give Super Indie Karts a go on Steam (if you haven't already). You might like it.

99Luffy

Banned
Best mario kart. Had a jump button(to dodge shells and bananas) and actual powerslide mechanics. Probably the only mario kart where people played the time trials because the powerslide was so fun. Also introduced throwing traps forward, holding items behind you and shooting them backwards.

Mario Kart 64 is the one I played 4-player split screen with friends and family when I was 12. So it's hard for me not to look at that game with rose tinted glasses. It's the only Mario Kart game I've ever enjoyed.

Nanashrew

Banned
Some tracks are okay, Rainbow Road is the worst.

But what I remember most fondly about Mario Kart 64 is the battle mode and how turtle shells would not break. If me and my brother were the only survivors we'd up the ante and make it a death match by seeking high up areas and launching green turtle shells down below where we'd battle and dodge as best we could.

It's still really good. Still the one with the most involving tracks, with all sorts of shortcuts and secrets. I wouldn't call it the worst by far since that goes to Mario Kart Wii which is what people usually associate the franchise's unfairness with. That game was terribly unbalanced.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Well according to some posters on here, that precision didn't exist and somehow MK64 required more skill. Despite the wider tracks, leaden controls and having far fewer moments that required split second timing.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game but people seriously calling this better than SMK are nuts.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
MK64 holds the best Mario Kart memories for me, if not the best gaming memories, period. And for that it is one of the best Mario Kart games. For its time obviously. I'm not gonna play it in 2017 lol.

99Luffy

Banned
Well according to some posters on here, that precision didn't exist and somehow MK64 required more skill. Despite the wider tracks, leaden controls and having far fewer moments that required split second timing.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game but people seriously calling this better than SMK are nuts.
SMK isnt a good game. Theres proof of this. No one likes super circuit and they basically have the same controls.

Peterc

MK64 has set the bar to make mario kart the greatest race game all time ever. It's the first game where they included the slide part, also the battle mode is still the best one of all mario karts.
If you want to call the a worst mario kart game, you should go for double dash, damn it was bad. Also the removed the jumping part, can't understand why they did that.

Mario kart 8(delux) is the best, but mario kart64 is still damn good.

kromeo

64 and the original are the only two mario kart games I ever enjoyed, not sure if it's age related but none of them since have done anything for me. Double Dash in particular I remember hating

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SMK isnt a good game. Theres proof of this. No one likes super circuit and they basically have the same controls.

Then these people never actually played Super Circuit. Well, those that did actually liked it. Those who didn't now hate it because how can anyone like SNES tier graphics in 2001.

Kinsei

Banned
Then these people never actually played Super Circuit. Well, those that did actually liked it. Those who didn't now hate it because how can anyone like SNES tier graphics in 2001.

I've played Super Circuit. I think it's the worst game in the series.

vgamer1

Super Circuit is one of my favorites, for sure.

I loved that it contained all the original tracks from SMK as well.

ArchAngel

Best Mario Kart (and no, it's not my first). Loved how we did shit in the game and had TONS of fun. Like you have to be at the castle, make it a battleground and shoot a player before you can drive away to the goal :p

Randdalf

My personal favourite kart racing game on N64 was always Lego Racers. I enjoyed discovering new shortcuts on each of the tracks, and especially the unique powerup system it had.

Branduil

MK8 has a lot of tracks that require precision steering. It's true that there's more item bullshit now, but SMK made up for that with some of the most cheating bullshit rubberbanding in the series.

kromeo

My personal favourite kart racing game on N64 was always Lego Racers. I enjoyed discovering new shortcuts on each of the tracks, and especially the unique powerup system it had.

The warp powerup was so stupid though, it kind of ruined the races in a way

Randdalf

The warp powerup was so stupid though, it kind of ruined the races in a way

Yeah, true. Every race basically did become about trying to chain warps together, but that was actually kind of fun. The AI only used warps in the last track, so it was slightly more balanced there.

Disagreed on both counts. Super Circuit might have been my favorite in the series if I hadn't spent most of my time playing it on the dim OG GBA. But in the brief times I've revisited it using superior hardware I had a really good time with it. It might be tied with Wario Ware and Aria of Sorrow as my favorite game on the system.

I'll always be nostalgic for it as it was the first Mario Kart I played and I sunk 100s of hours into the 4 player as a kid but it has always been the worst in the series.

Top Bottom