• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships Wimbledon, 2016 |OT| Brexit at Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

My oh my. What an interesting time for Wimbledon to start!! The value of money that the winners will get has decreased by more than $275,000!!!

I will make this brief!

When: June 27 - July 10 2016

Here is the draw:

Gentlemen: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf

Ladies:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ls/lsdraw.pdf

The contenders:

Men's:

Novak Djokovic:
novak-djokovic-serbia-kisses-winners-trophy-after-defeating-roger-federer-switzerland-their.jpg

The favorite for obvious reasons. He is a 3 time champion and a 2 time defending champion, who is going for his 5th consecutive major title.

Andy Murray:

The Scottish..I mean British player is the one to watch out for I feel. He is playing in the most interesting Wimbledon of his lifetime. He has backed the Scottish independence cause in the past Will he embody it by the end of the next 2 weeks?

Roger Federer:
Roger-Federer.jpg

The Maestro!!! The 7 time champ and runner up in the last 2 years. He has not been playing well this spring/summer due to injuries. He played in 2 grass tournaments earlier and lost in the SFs to youngsters. Is his age finally catching up to him, or does he have what it takes for one more title? I have to say, his draw is looking good to till the SF. (Potential Djokovic clash!!). But is he playing well enough to get there?

The Pretenders:

Milos Raonic:

1297576625751_ORIGINAL.jpg

Raonic reached the semifinals in 2014 Wimbledon losing to Fed, and the final at the 2016 Queens losing to Murray. He has now added John McEnroe to his coaching team hoping to improve his net game and skills. Can he make a deep run here? And if he can, is he capable of playing his best in the later stages?

Dominic Thiem:

LING-BPI-WIMBLEDON-DAY1-173-3235687.jpg

The rising star has made a statement this year by beating Federer at Stuttgart in the SF and winning the title. He also made the Halle SF and lost to Florian Mayer, who went on to win the title. Unfortunately for him, he is going to be playing that very same Mayer in the first round. We will see what happens..

Grigor Dimitrov:

grigor-dimitrov.jpg

He is scheduled to clash with Federer in the 4th round if they both make it through. Can he finally make a big breakthrough against this version of Federer?
Women's :

Serena Williams
Swilliams_3372298b.jpg

Has lost her last 2 GS finals. She is so close to Graf, but is her age also finally catching up to her?

Garbine Muguruza

Britain-Wimbledon-Tennis340-1829x1254.jpeg

Last year's finalist and this year's French Open Champion. She is out to dispel any notions of curses.

More to come. Sorry for the short OP.

3Sixty

Tough draws for the British players.

Not many chances to get through to the 2nd round.

Konta, Naomi Broady, maybe Edmund if he can win this 2nd set

Xun

It's my first time going to Wimbledon this year and at Centre Court no less.

Hopefully I can briefly forget about the shit this country is now in.

3Sixty

Possible story on 17 Marcus Willis leads by a break in the first. Ranked over 700 places lower than his opponent

Smellycat

This Federer Pella match is pretty entertaining, but it is sad to see Federer struggling to break serve and play his game.

Nyx

Kiki Bertens beats Jelena Ostapenko.

Hope Kiki's on fire again this tournament, without injury.
The Dutch need new sport heroes like Verstappen now that the Dutch football team is a disgrace.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Roger awful on break points, business as usual. Otherwise he looks about a half a step slow. Maybe a full step. Serving is decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom