• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Confession Tapes | Netflix True-Crime Documentary Series - Out Now

Just saw this on Netflix today and didn't know much about it. Seems it just came out and is in the same vein as other Netflix true-crime documentaries like Making a Murderer and The Keepers. It's 7 episodes with each episode focusing on a different case (one of them has two parts).

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8517R-rzao

JH13ZlA.jpg

A critical look into some true crime cases where American law enforcement made up for lack of actual physical evidence by using devious psychological tactics during interrogation in order to extract confessions from naive suspects.

Between 2015’s Making a Murderer and May’s The Keepers, Netflix has quickly become the leading purveyor of non-fiction true-crime TV.

That status is only further solidified by The Confession Tapes, the streaming service’s latest foray into some of America’s most haunting recent homicide mysteries. Unlike its predecessors, creator/director Kelly Loudenberg’s gripping series (available now) does not assume a serialized format; except for its two-part opener, each of its episodes is a stand-alone story. However, what it does share with those prior documentary hits is a focus on murders that, upon closer inspection, seem to have been solved in erroneous ways—in this case, via false confessions. - thedailybeast

Netflix Link: https://www.netflix.com/title/80161702
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349602/

Really sorry to bump my own thread but I've just watched the first two episodes of this and HOLY SHIT. This is something that will make you so angry. I found myself having tears in my eyes at points at how fucked this case was and how the justice system treated the people involved. Will spoiler tag some episode 1 and 2 thoughts below.

I felt sick watching the smug as fuck lawyers and police talk about how guilty these two were. I think when the officer said something like "we then leaked it to the media"
and then had to correct himself because it wasn't official they leaked it and said "it was leaked to the media". WOW. So fucked.

Was tearing up near the end when Atif was giving his speech in court.

Definitely watch this if you like the other Netflix shows. Will be interested to see how the other episodes are but it's crazy how fucked the system is and how the case in the first two episodes went. Really good so far.

RinsFury

Watched the first two episodes. Ugh, the level of entrapment and corrupt investigation tactics was terrifying, and at the trial they kept being blocked and denied any attempt to mount a proper defense. Listening to the jurors basically say they went in with their minds already made up was sickening.

Just watched the third episode. Again, definitely makes you angry watching this. The biggest thing is how the police will completely dismiss other suspects because they are laser focused on getting any confession they can. They don't even care, they just want to charge someone. Why? What kind of fucked up police officer do you have to be to do this to someone?

Episode 3 spoilers:

This guy lost 16 years of his life and in the end had to confess to manslaughter in exchange for time served. So still confessing in a way. The real killer gets to live their life. Fucked up beyond belief but happy he got out.

Tcab96

This is insane. This is nonfiction, right? Because that whole "Mr. Big" sting operation is fucking nuts if real. That shit is out of a cop or spy movie.

I just watched the first two part episode.

The difficult part of watching this is knowing that this level of disturbing injustice is not uncommon.

The prosecution, judge, police, defense attorneys, the jury... the entire system failed those two kids. The police straight up destroyed those kids in the most sinister way, with no sense of justice whatsoever. They were proud of what they did, too. The prosecution did their job, but that attorney is a monster. The jury was more interested in the entertainment value than justice, and were not even remotely unbiased. The judge had no actual judgement of character nor did he have any interest in serving justice, he presided over the case like an inquisitor from the dark ages. They all took turns grinding the kids up and spitting them out like it was nothing to them.

Dark, dark stuff here. If the other cases are as infuriating as this one... whew.

Lister

Banned
I just watched the first two part episode.

The difficult part of watching this is knowing that this level of disturbing injustice is not uncommon.

The prosecution, judge, police, defense attorneys, the jury... the entire system failed those two kids. The police straight up destroyed those kids in the most sinister way, with no sense of justice whatsoever. They were proud of what they did, too. The prosecution did their job, but that attorney is a monster. The jury was more interested in the entertainment value than justice, and were not even remotely unbiased. The judge had no actual judgement of character nor did he have any interest in serving justice, he presided over the case like an inquisitor from the dark ages. They all took turns grinding the kids up and spitting them out like it was nothing to them.

Dark, dark stuff here. If the other cases are as infuriating as this one... whew.

Yep that's the really scary part, the knowloedge that this isn't just one bad cop, one bad judge, on bad jury. This shit happens ALL THE TIME.

Teach your kids NEVER to talk to the police. The only time they're relling you the truth is when they say: "Anything you say can and WILL be used against you".

Episode 4 spoilers:

Another good episode. After finishing it I still wasn't sure what actually happened though. They make a couple of alternatives to the the mom doing it but nothing seems really strong in this one in terms of what happened. I think it's not as conclusive as the other two cases where it was 100% obvious they didn't do it. Will probably try and read more about it but I'm not sure the daughter would commit suicide by burning alive if she was to set it (even though she died from smoke).

KorrZ

Watched the first 2 episodes. Thank god the "Mr.Big" bullshit was ruled inadmissible now.

Totally shocked that it was legal in my country. Watching the video, these officers that you've spent weeks/months setting up as super intimidating criminals basically saying they'll kill you if you don't tell them what you did ("we won't let the police arrest you") is supposed to lead to a legitimate confession?

Totally fucked. Even more fucked that this was already illegal in the US and they still prosecuted based on it.

Episode 5.

What the fuck? What the fuck?! This case is absolutely crazy. I can't even put into words how fucked this is. As with all these episodes the cops just don't care. They will literally use the most vulnerable kids, some with mental challenges, to get the result they want. The amount of lives fucked up in this case is unreal.

To see that the new trial saying evidence was ignored was rejected this year was sickening.

So, so fucked.

MBison

While I think the Mr Big technique can produce false confessions hence why it has been ruled inadmissible, and I don't think based on what I saw in the show that a jury should have convicted them, also based on what I've seen, I am not convinced that Sebastian and Atif are innocent. Not guilty based on the trial, yes; innocent ehhh.

After all the stuff that has happens in the US on a daily basis and shows like this that highlight it, at what point is politician actually going to do something about?

This sort of injustice cannot be allowed to stand.

After watching the first couple episodes, geez WTF am I getting into?

Episode 5 will wreck you. It's..........horrific. That sudden ending.....the justice system is just a fucking joke. I can't even watch anymore.

And Jesus Christ. I can't believe the shit black people have to go through with the justice system.its rigged against them. It's fucking maddening.

While I think the Mr Big technique can produce false confessions hence why it has been ruled inadmissible, and I don't think based on what I saw in the show that a jury should have convicted them, also based on what I've seen, I am not convinced that Sebastian and Atif are innocent. Not guilty based on the trial, yes; innocent ehhh.

Wow, really? I probably wouldn't be brave enough to say they 100% didn't do it but based on what I saw in the show I was more than convinced they didn't. The completely different versions of how it happened to "Mr. Big" was pretty clear to me they were just making it up as they went along to impress him or whatever. Also find it hard to believe their son would murder his family with a baseball bat for money. There was also the thing with the mother facing East with her head covered which gave more credibility to the extremists doing it. Curious to hear what makes you think they're guilty.

MBison

Wow, really? I probably wouldn't be brave enough to say they 100% didn't do it but based on what I saw in the show I was more than convinced they didn't. The completely different versions of how it happened to "Mr. Big" was pretty clear to me they were just making it up as they went along to impress him or whatever. Also find it hard to believe their son would murder his family with a baseball bat for money. There was also the thing with the mother facing East with her head covered which gave more credibility to the extremists doing it. Curious to hear what makes you think they're guilty.

If you don't think a son would murder his parents for money then you haven't watched enough true crime stories. And while the East thing sounds plausible, it's also just circumstantial. The unknown hairs and DNA is more credible for their innocence.

1) the circumstantial evidence of their purposeful alibis (getting unusual food, making sure ID checked etc)

2) staged burglary

3) Sebastian hair in shower with father's blood

4) behavior post murder

5) spending spree

6) while the Mr Big confession I agree is suspect, why are they associating themselves with criminals and murderers? For money? So they'd do crime for money? Hmm.

7) and while it isn't evidence, Sebastian is literally a poster child for a sociopath. Guy looks like Patrick Bateman come to life.

Just saying I could easily see them having done it.

Gray Matter

Just watched the first two episodes. The first episode was set in a way that made it seem like the teens actually did it, but then as the evidence is presented and you see all the holes it is clear that they didn’t do it.

Anyone who believes otherwise is blind.

UncleMeat

Just watched the third episode. Again, definitely makes you angry watching this. The biggest thing is how the police will completely dismiss other suspects because they are laser focused on getting any confession they can. They don't even care, they just want to charge someone. Why? What kind of fucked up police officer do you have to be to do this to someone?

Episode 3 spoilers:

This guy lost 16 years of his life and in the end had to confess to manslaughter in exchange for time served. So still confessing in a way. The real killer gets to live their life. Fucked up beyond belief but happy he got out.

Ya that ending was fucked up.
If they thought he was guilty and had a case they'd try to put him back in jail but really the important thing to them is that they "got their man" because open cases look bad.

Betty

Banned
Episode 4 spoilers:

Another good episode. After finishing it I still wasn't sure what actually happened though. They make a couple of alternatives to the the mom doing it but nothing seems really strong in this one in terms of what happened. I think it's not as conclusive as the other two cases where it was 100% obvious they didn't do it. Will probably try and read more about it but I'm not sure the daughter would commit suicide by burning alive if she was to set it (even though she died from smoke).

Yeah but that's the point, it's nowhere near definite the mom did it so a conviction let alone life term seems absurd.

Personally I think the girl did it.

Atrophis

These cases are unbelievable. This show will get you just as angry if not more so than Making a Murderer. Its sad it hasn't grabbed as much interest as MoM as its really worth watching.

Clyde Donovan

Neo Member
I just finished the first two episodes and I'm going to regret watching this. After this and reading up on Michael Morton, it seems that if you are a little weird then you are already fighting a losing battle even if there is no solid evidence, that's all it takes for a jury to convict you. Half of GAF would probably get locked up if put in that situation.

Top Bottom