• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
Non-shitty Stalker + Rossellini's War Trilogy. That'll do Criterion. That'll do.
July looking weak as fuck
Dude. Dude. Dude.
How's War Trilogy? That title caught my eye. Any know anything?
Probably the pinnacle of European WWII films.
edit: Hmm, now that I think about it this feels like it should be hyperbole, but I can't think of what else I would call the pinnacle. I'm going to look like a tit when someone points out that [insert masterpiece here] exists.

Shiv47

Will pick up Stalker for sure. Already have the BFI release of the War Trilogy, so I'm not shelling out for the extras on the Criterion set.

omgkitty

July looking weak as fuck

get-out.gif

Definitely copping stalker

Did bressons pickpocket ever make it to bluray? Dunkirk citing that as an inspiration made me finally decide to check it out and it was so dope.

Tarkovsky hasn't done much for me aside from Solaris, but I need to own Stalker. Such an enigmatic movie.

July's a killer month all around for Criterion.

Berzeli you continue to be a font of information!

I'll just add some blasphemy by saying I think Tarkovsky is terminally boring, the Solaris remake was far better than the original, and I spent my fancy movie money on Bava's Blood and Black Lace instead because it's deliriously fun at all times rather than the bore-athon you all have been discussing (the month of July).

:p

I honestly can't even remember most of the Solaris remake, and I've seen it much more recently than Tarkovsky's. The original just felt like a way bigger experience that stuck with me more, and I don't mean scale.

My school has Stalker available for streaming, and it's split into two parts, the two "separate" films that make up the whole. Is it fine if I watch them at separate times, or must I sit down for the whole feature at once?

I honestly can't even remember most of the Solaris remake, and I've seen it much more recently than Tarkovsky's. The original just felt like a way bigger experience that stuck with me more, and I don't mean scale.
100%, I just think the more intimate story is stronger because it's so focused. I find myself bored during Tarkovsky despite the gooooooorgeous sets and cinematography.

My school has Stalker available for streaming, and it's split into two parts, the two "separate" films that make up the whole. Is it fine if I watch them at separate times, or must I sit down for the whole feature at once?

I will always recommend you watch a movie in one sitting. Stalker doesn't even have an intermission splitting it up.

Berzeli you continue to be a font of information!

I'll just add some blasphemy by saying I think Tarkovsky is terminally boring, the Solaris remake was far better than the original, and I spent my fancy movie money on Bava's Blood and Black Lace instead because it's deliriously fun at all times rather than the bore-athon you all have been discussing (the month of July).

:p

Hmmm I can't condone any Tarkovsky shit talking. His eerie, delapidated, dream worlds and sleepy philosophizing is a wonderfully unique brand of cinema, but he's certainly an squired taste. Stalker was my first by him and I didn't even realize I liked it until like 2 days after I saw it lol. Ivan's Childhood is a great entry to Tarkovsky though (which makes sense since it's his first). It's a lot more structured and digestible, but his aesthetic already feels fully formed.

I can fully get behind Blood and Black Lace though. Fucking gorgeous movie, and has the same command over suspense that Hitchcock conjured, but it doesn't get half the respect. I mean, it's kinda trashy, but yeah like you say it's deliriously fun the whole way through.

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of long awaited Russian films, apparently Criterion has finally sealed the rights for Come and See. No word on when it will be released though.

smisk

Is the version of Stalker on FilmStruck good quality? I'd expect it to be the same as the disk release. Been meaning to watch it for awhile, might finally get around to it this weekend.

Ridley327

On FIlmStruck or just for the upcoming physical release? When I checked it out on FS when it first came out it appeared to be the old release.

It seems like Criterion put up older transfers of whatever films they've licensed from Mosfilm to tide people over until the proper restorations are available, since that's the same thing that's going on with Dersu Uzala. I think that Stalker was an exception since the restoration has been done for a while.

Blader

I haven't seen Stalker. Or any Tarkovsky for that matter. Hmm...maybe I should get that instead of Ugetsu or Sansho the Bailiff in the next B&N sale. Or maybe Lost in America? Which I've also never seen, but do I love me some Albert Brooks.

How's War Trilogy? That title caught my eye. Any know anything?

Rome Open City is one of the great all-time Italian films. I didn't care that much for Paisan though. Germany Year Zero is better, but Rome Open City is far and away the standout, and frankly, essential viewing.

IronRinn

It seems like Criterion put up older transfers of whatever films they've licensed from Mosfilm to tide people over until the proper restorations are available, since that's the same thing that's going on with Dersu Uzala. I think that Stalker was an exception since the restoration has been done for a while.
Well, I'm excited. Come and See is an incredible film.

If you haven't seen Stalker, I obviously recommend it, but just know that Tarkovsky is known for his, uh, "meditative" pace. Stalker, as well, isn't his most accessible (which would be Ivan's Childhood or Solaris, for me) but it's not his most abstract, either.

You just gotta be in a "I'm ready to be transfixed for almost three hours" mood.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow time!

UK Only:

C98YIjRXUAAz2Hq.png
C98Ym0YW0AA3nxa.png
C98Y7SsXoAAn2hO.png

US Only:
C98Ziy3XgAAkz82.png

UK & US:

C98Z0MnWAAAr4Bk.png
C98aPSSXgAAOWBl.png

C98azoCXgAEjE9T.png

They're also releasing the following books:
Unchained Melody: The Films Of Meiko Kaji by Tom Mes; The Blair Witch Project by Russell Gomm; Ghost In The Shell by Andrew Osmond

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Please dont spend Money on Necromantik 2.
The edition I bought was only worth it for the interviews with Jörg and I dont think they are interesting when you only look at the subtitles.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I listen to the Joe Derosa/Pat Walsh movie podcast, and they made such a brilliant case for Psycho II being one of the greatest sequels to a classic movie that I was surprised. I assumed it was total trash but they really did some interesting stuff with it apparently.

SeanC

I listen to the Joe Derosa/Pat Walsh movie podcast, and they made such a brilliant case for Psycho II being one of the greatest sequels to a classic movie that I was surprised. I assumed it was total trash but they really did some interesting stuff with it apparently.

It really is annoying underrated, III is none too bad itself in its own weird way though IV I'm not big on. I think people just write off Psycho II because of Psycho being so heralded and the sequels coming so much later and their only knowledge of the sequels is faint memories of seeing VHS boxes in a rental store 20 years ago, but they're pretty good. Psycho III is love/hate for some (same with IV), I think, but II is undeniably brilliant and certainly was more influential on Bates Motel than the original Psycho was (if you've seen that show) in tone and how it approaches its subject matter at times.

Top Bottom