• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crowdfunded/Self-Published Print Gaming Magazine Thread

ScOULaris

It's no secret that print gaming magazines are largely a niche endeavor now, as opposed to the primary source of gaming news, criticism, and insight that they once were. Most of the plethora of gaming magazines that once lined store shelves (in the United States, anyway) have closed shop, leaving only a small handful of monthly gaming publications like Game Informer and PC Gamer. But the reality of the glory days of print gaming magazines having passed us by doesn't mean that there isn't still a smaller enthusiast market for quality writing in a tangible, designed package that arrives in your mailbox. Fortunately for people like me who still enjoy subscribing to a few print gaming mags, writers and graphic designers who share a similar passion for print have taken to crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter to keep the dream alive, albeit not usually on a monthly basis.

The somewhat recent trend of gaming mags being crowdfunded is an interesting evolution (or sidestep) from the fanzine/e-zine culture that has survived on a small scale for decades now. The magazines that end up securing their initial funding this way usually end up being of much higher quality than something purely self-published through a site like HP's Magcloud or similar printing services. That's not to say that self-published magazines can't be excellent as well. One of the publications I'll highlight in this OP is distributed through Magcloud. Since not everyone is really aware of the existence of some of these crowdfunded or self-published gaming mags, I thought I'd create a thread to showcase some of them and discuss this new frontier in print gaming journalism.

Without further ado, here are some of the more prominent magazines that I think everyone should check out:

Kill Screen

KS7_Cover_Final_1024x1024.jpg
KS5-Cover02_1024x1024.jpg

kstk2-9-2_1024x1024.jpeg
IMG_5894_1024x1024.jpg

Kill Screen was the first example of a gaming magazine being funded through Kickstarter, as far as I know. After surpassing its extemely modest funding goal of $3,500, production started on this quarterly journal that takes a wholly different approach to games writing than pretty much anything else out there. Rather than utilizing on the traditional template of previews, reviews, and features, Kill Screen instead consists of mostly long-form ruminations and essays about games and the ways they've impacted people in their lives. This style of writing may not be for everyone, but I doubt anyone could deny the level of polish put into the magazine. The design throughout is modern and artistic, and the quality of the cover/paper stock is archival-level stuff. These magazines can sit on a shelf for years with no sign of wear, so they make for great collectors items. The fact that it's a quarterly publication hurts it a little bit in my eyes, but they supplement the print issues with quite an abundance of quality articles on their website as well.

SCROLL

SCROLL is a true passion project. Written and self-published completely by Ray Barnholt, who you might remember from 1UP.com and the Retronauts podcast, SCROLL is a quarterly publication of remarkable quality considering that it's all done by one person. Barnholt is a true enthusiast of the medium and its history, and his passion comes through in every word of his writing. The design of the magazine is also really fun and polished, and as expected from a quarterly magazine it is printed on high-quality materials. If you're the kind of person who likes reading in-depth articles about classic games, obscure and mainstream, then you might want to head over to his website and check out some of the issues digitally on Magcloud. From the looks of it, you can read through entire issues for free on Magcloud and/or pay to have a print version shipped to you.

Nintendo Force

Nintendo Force (NF Magazine) was kickstarted in the beginning of 2013 after smashing its $49,000 or so goal, and its mission was to fill the void left behind by the late, great Nintendo Power after its sudden demise. From the looks of it, they are honoring that legacy very admirably. It just finished its first year of bi-monthly releases, and their Kickstarter for the second year succeeded easily once again. It's exciting to see the amount of support that is being given to this magazine, especially since it's of such high quality and done completely pro-bono by all of its writers and artists. If the support stays strong, they hope to eventually switch to a monthly release schedule and to start paying their staff. As is the case with all of the magazines highlighted here, you can get it either in print or digital form on their (rather beautifully designed) website.

RETRO Magazine

RETRO clocks in as the most recent successfully Kickstarted gaming magazine, and it's currently two issues into its bi-monthly releases for subscribers. The Kickstarter garnered a lot of attention thanks to the magazine's large list of big-name contributors from decades of games journalism's past. Names like Jeremy Parish, Andy Eddy, Chris Kohler, Kat Bailey, Ryan Scott, Ed Semrad, Seanbaby, and Pat Contri got the attention of lots of potential backers who grew up with the gaming magazines of the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. RETRO aims to be a sort of American equivalent to something like Retro Gamer (UK), albeit much smaller in scope and released on a bi-monthly schedule for now. The one thing that it already has going for it, however, is its breadth of contributors who all bring their own unique writing style to the magazine. Focusing on mainly classic games and modern games that adhere to classic principles, RETRO is definitely the only print publication of its kind in the States. Print and/or digital subscriptions can be ordered for a rather reasonable price at their website, and issue #3 is currently in the works.

These are the only four major examples that I know of, but please feel free to mention others in this thread. I'd like to know about them! Also, I'd like to hear some impressions from those of you who subscribe to one or more of these mags. Hopefully this thread will bring these quality enthusiast publications to light for some of you who've never heard of them.

ScOULaris

I'd also like to add that I'd love to hear from any and all contributors to magazines that might be lurking about on GAF. An inside perspective on this topic would be great to hear, especially from someone who is currently involved in one of the magazines I highlighted in the OP.

Impressions from people who backed some of these Kickstarter projects would be great as well.

Scroll 02 PDF is free.

RetroManiac is a magazine from Spain that they do a crowfunding with the latest issues, but it's very limited run and it's only for Spain. They do an issue every 6 months or so. The last issue has 228 pages. They are all available for free as a pdf or issuu.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
They're books rather than magazines, but I've been self-publishing on a quarterly basis for five years now. I think a few years ago, self-publishing through print-on-demand had the potential to become a viable way to make a living, but the rising cost of p-o-d production and shipping have really suffocated it. It doesn't help that a lot of people don't understand the nature and realities of p-o-d (namely, that it ain't cheap).

There's actually more money to be made in selling cheap PDFs of self-published works these days. Poor, stupid print. You were too noble for this ugly world.

ScOULaris

Scroll 02 PDF is free.

RetroManiac is a magazine from Spain that they do a crowfunding with the latest issues, but it's very limited run and it's only for Spain. They do an issue every 6 months or so. The last issue has 228 pages. They are all available for free as a pdf or issuu.

Hm, interesting. On one hand, I'd hate waiting six months for a magazine. On the other, it'd be cool to be surprised twice a year with a huge 228-page beast in the mail. To think, there was a time when we'd get 200+ pages out of EGM every month. Most of those pages were ads at the time, though. These crowdfunded/self-published mags are typically very light on ads and consist of 90-95% actual content.

There's actually more money to be made in selling cheap PDFs of self-published works these days. Poor, stupid print. You were too noble for this ugly world.

crying-indian-1.gif

Anyone here subscribe to any of these? Interested in the Nintendo Force and Retro mags. I miss the days of sitting on the crapper reading gaming magazines. :'(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I second Jeremy's Gamespite collections, I have the NES anniversary digest and love it, and he's been doing some really cool looking game-specific collections lately.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Bumpin with a question, anybody here subscribe to Kill Screen or Nintendo Force? I really want to get some nice print mags and wonder if they're pretty quality all around.

TheaterMike

Neo Member
I subscribe to Nintendo Force and find it to be better than Nintendo Power was. NF magazine contains expanded retro and community sections, and has the freedom to mention other platforms without fear of advertiser retaliation. I've had two print subscriptions since issue 2 and wholeheartedly support the contributors :)

TheaterMike

Neo Member
I'd also like to add that I'd love to hear from any and all contributors to magazines that might be lurking about on GAF. An inside perspective on this topic would be great to hear, especially from someone who is currently involved in one of the magazines I highlighted in the OP.

Impressions from people who backed some of these Kickstarter projects would be great as well.

I was the associate editor and marketing director for Pixel Nation, the quarterly independent retro gaming magazine. We had a series of books in the works including Mega Drive: Total, a book on the history of the Neo Geo, and an arcade edition. We were doing very well until the head of the company succumbed to burn-out and sold it off. The new owner proceeded to trash our website and the company disappeared less than two weeks later. I enjoyed working for Pixel Nation, but wish it didn't die the way it did :-/

As for other publications:

http://www.purenintendo.com/ is still around and has a different vibe than Nintendo Force. Print subscriptions are no longer available, but they are expanding digital distribution and now offer 3 year subscriptions.

http://www.retrogamingmagazine.com produces a magazine as well, although it's not that great. It reminds me of Gamepro's era right before John Davison revamped it, which was forgettable in my opinion.

RETRO has been having issues as of late, and I hope they haven't succumbed to modern publishing woes. The current issue has Dave Halverson's top retro platforming games :)

EGM isn't a retro magazine, but I'd like to bring up the only reason they are still around is because they produce two print magazines for Walmart: Walmart Gamecenter, which is basically a slimmer EGM complete with The Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About (Insert Game), the hotseat interviews, reviews and previews, and strategy pages.

Walmart's Parent's Guide to Video Games is their other publication, and functions more of a buyer's guide with articles on each game system and loads of capsule reviews for practically every game released. It's a mix of Gamepro's old PlayRight newsletters and the Gamepro Playstation Encyclopedia.

Robot is a 50-page children's videogame magazine that includes loads of strategies, an ongoing comic, and reviews written by personas; similar to Major Mike, Miss Spell, Dan Electro et. al. from Game Pro, or Rob Duenas' Game Cave magazine. It isn't too bad for a new independent publication with international distribution to Barnes & Noble.

Jeremy Parish's Game Spite books are sublime and I've always enjoyed his work from 1-Up, Retronauts and now RETRO magazine and US Gamer. His encyclopedic knowledge of retro gaming knows no bounds. http://www.gamespite.net/

Lastly, there's Hardcore Gaming 101 and their books: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/books.htm

(cross-posting from the Retronauts thread, since it's relevant here too)
Ray has put up the final issue of his midzine, Scroll:
SCROLL 12: Introducing MSX

$4.99 for the PDF (via direct purchase or Magcloud), $22.99* for the Print copy (via Magcloud), and there's three cover variants (Blue, Red, Green).

*Note about the Print price (since this inevitably comes up): Magcloud takes a cut of 20 cents per page, and this double-sized issue comes in at 104 pages, so only about $2.19 of the Print version's price goes to Ray.

Top Bottom