• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Curse. Nathan Fielder, Emma Stone, and Benny Safdie's new show. Available for streaming on November 10th

DKehoe

THE CURSE is a genre-bending SHOWTIME® series that explores how an alleged curse disturbs the relationship of a newly married couple as they try to conceive a child while co-starring in their new home-improvement show. The series stars Oscar® winner Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie. Guest stars include Oscar nominee Barkhad Abdi, Emmy® nominee Corbin Bernsen, and Constance Shulman. Produced by A24, THE CURSE is co-created and executive produced by Benny Safdie and Nathan Fielder, who also serves as a director. Emma Stone executive produces alongside Dave McCary and Ali Herting through their Fruit Tree banner. Josh Safdie also serves as executive producer.

I don't know a huge amount about this but I'm looking forward to it. I loved The Rehearsal so have been curious to see what Nathan Fielder does next.

DKehoe

Closed the trailer mid way, definitely watching this.
Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. But yeh, if the general concept and/or the names attached already have you on board then it's best to go in knowing as little as possible. Did you see The Rehearsal?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. But yeh, if the general concept and/or the names attached already have you on board then it's best to go in knowing as little as possible. Did you see The Rehearsal?
Not yet, planning on it though. Very little time to watch shows right now!

DKehoe

That is not that funny.

That was funny.

giphy.gif

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I know this show won't be for everyone but I thought the first episode was absolutely brilliant and hilarious. Benny Safdie's character is hilarious and Nathan fielder can actually act holy shit!

DKehoe

Where is the funny? I don't get it
Anyone But You is an upcoming romantic comedy film starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell. To promote it they released a video of the two of them awkwardly bantering in a very forced way that showed no real chemistry between the two. A lot of people were making fun of the video and less than 24 hours after it was released Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone recreated it to promote their show, Fielder also put out a statement claiming that the Anyone But You team had copied their video, rather than the other way around.

It's not really a big thing. Just something kinda fun I thought I'd share, in part to have an excuse to bump the thread back up to hopefully get people talking about the show now that it's airing.

I know this show won't be for everyone but I thought the first episode was absolutely brilliant and hilarious. Benny Safdie's character is hilarious and Nathan fielder can actually act holy shit!
Between this and Oppenheimer, Safdie is having a great year for acting roles, particularly for someone who is primarily a director.

Had no idea this existed. Used to be a big Nathan Fielder fan, but haven't kept up with him. Watched the first two episodes because of this thread.

It's the most discomforting show I can recall. I've only seen Uncut Gems by the Safdie brothers, but even in that one movie, it's apparent that guy/those guys know how to make incredibly stressful media. It's like every scene adds new pressure without relieving any that came before. I honestly don't know if I'll stick with 10 episodes of that, but I'm still onboard at this point because I want to see what it builds to--or if it builds to grander point at all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does this show mix real people/reactions with some kind of narrative or is it 100% scripted?

Last edited:
Anybody watching this? They're on episode 6 of 10.

My take? Incredibly uncomfortable to watch, but it's so intentionally done and unlike anything else I've seen that I've stuck with it.

Hoping they nail the ending, or it's going to feel like suffering for no payoff.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

My take? Incredibly uncomfortable to watch, but it's so intentionally done and unlike anything else I've seen that I've stuck with it.

Hoping they nail the ending, or it's going to feel like suffering for no payoff.
I have roughly the same assessment.

Laieon

I'm loving it to far, but I don't know if I like it as much as I did The Rehearsal. I definitely agree with you though that like that, there isn't really anything out there like this.

ikbalCO

Started watching yesterday and already on episode 5.

If you like cringe comedy this is one of the best things - if not the best - out there.

I lost my breath laughing at this. It is that funny and that insane.

A show about the worst 3 people in the world… who would have thought.

AJUMP23

Started watching yesterday and already on episode 5.

If you like cringe comedy this is one of the best things - if not the best - out there.

I lost my breath laughing at this. It is that funny and that insane.

A show about the worst 3 people in the world… who would have thought.

I would watch that.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I can't get enough of this show tbh I get so excited when new episodes drop :messenger_savoring:

the cherry tomato scene, the sweater scene, the comedy class scene, and so many more... BRILLIANT !!

xrnzaaas

Meh, I at least hoped for some Emma's sex scenes since this is Showtime. It's like they can't find a good new idea after all of their multiseason shows have ended.

Definitely a thought-provoking season finale. You could read just about anything or everything into it if you want to.

I would've preferred a
a more straightforward-narrative ending. It doesn't seem like a cop out, like they couldn't tie up all the loose ends, at least. Just feels like it was narratively unsatisfying while being emotionally satisfying.

ikbalCO

i finally finished it.

This show goes to places. A lot of times very hard to watch and you just cant look away or skip the scene.

Emma Stone is probably the best actor alive right now. The range that she has…

10/10

Billbofet

I am only on the 2nd episode and I want to savor the rest of the episodes. Unfortunately, I started watching with my wife and I'm now obligated to only watch it with her.
She has the sleep cycle of a toddler, so we'll have to chip away 8 minutes a night since that is the amount of time we have between my kids going to bed and then my wife falling asleep.

DrFigs

I am only on the 2nd episode and I want to savor the rest of the episodes. Unfortunately, I started watching with my wife and I'm now obligated to only watch it with her.
She has the sleep cycle of a toddler, so we'll have to chip away 8 minutes a night since that is the amount of time we have between my kids going to bed and then my wife falling asleep.
damn this show's pacing is super slow too. could be a crazy effective sleep aid though :pie_thinking:

ikbalCO

That was really weird ending, i have no clue what happened.
my understanding of the final is;

all 3 main characters are narcissistic and vile people in their on way. while Whitney and Dougie's borderline self obsession keeping them safe against every truth life throws at them about how disgusting and awful they are, Asher's low self esteem drives him to feel needed to feel safe in his on space. he so desperately needs to be needed all the time that when Dougie asks him what happens if Whitney leaves him, he said he would just disappear. All of Asher's relationships in the show are there because people need him in one way or another. Whitney needs Asher's surname because her own family name is black stain that prevents her from entering liberal art society. she was not raised with any religion so thanks to Asher she converts to judaism, allowing her to attached herself to a some sort of ethnic minority. Dougie needs Asher to become a producer since he failed at being one so many times. with the house flipping show reaching to point where the show's name flipanthorpy is changed to green queen and Asher is presented as not even the king but the Queen's jester, pretty much every one in the show feels like the hgtv show does not need Asher as well. Dougie does not need him anymore too because he finally made it. only Whitney needed him to have a child and once she was in labor reason for Asher to be around ceased completely.

so when the man who so desperately needed to be needed realized no one needed him around at all, he just flew away off to space, literally

or Dougie cursed him. I don't know

Top Bottom