• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge) Games

In Germany, there is a very popular tabletop role-playing game called The Dark Eye known as Das Schwarze Auge.

In fact, this is the most popular role playing game in Germany and it's pretty much their Dungeons and Dragons.

It has a very long history and an ongoing metaplot so in lore terms it might be similar to Warhammer 40,000.

What's kind of strange is that a lot of the video games based off this tabletop role-playing game has been localized and released for Americans. The books on the other hand, have very few American localizations and almost nobody in America knows about it. You can try doing a Google search and you're mostly just going to get very little information or German sites in German.

I was curious if anyone played the games that are on computer and if so what are some of your favorites or what do you recommend?

I know Daedlic, who made the extremely popular Gollum game, worked on a couple point and click adventure games based in that world (which is known as Aventuria) as well as a couple strategy role playing games.

Last edited:

shoplifter

I own most of them and have never played them, but I *also* own a bunch of DSA stuff in English for the latest edition. I've been trying to get a game going for a while and it just hasn't worked out.

I own most of them and have never played them, but I *also* own a bunch of DSA stuff in English for the latest edition. I've been trying to get a game going for a while and it just hasn't worked out.
That's usually popular as this is in Germany, I really don't know a single person who knows anything about it.

It's like that German science fiction flight sim game "X". You have tons of expansions and sequels to that game and nobody seems to know about it at all.

Gorgon

I played some of the Reals of Arkania trilogy, but that was back in the 90s. Can't say I remember much. Sorry.

Ozzie666

The 1993 English version 'Blade of Destiny' was good. The follow up Star Trial on PC the following year with the speech pack was even better. Very underrated experience. Not sure which is better, these games or the Amber series, but some really good German developers/programmers back in the early 90's. It's almost like Japan, so many German made Amiga games were never translated officially to English.

The 1993 English version 'Blade of Destiny' was good. The follow up Star Trial on PC the following year with the speech pack was even better. Very underrated experience. Not sure which is better, these games or the Amber series, but some really good German developers/programmers back in the early 90's. It's almost like Japan, so many German made Amiga games were never translated officially to English.
I'm kind of surprised there's no AAA game based on the setting considering it's the most popular role playing game in Germany.

It's really a shame because the setting is very good. I really like the cosmology and it sort of reminds me of Elder Scrolls. The setting is much like Warhammer in the sense of an ongoing storyline and consistent world. There's not many fantasy games out there right now that are like that.

It's too bad that's just never caught on in America or other countries outside of Germany.

Last edited:

Kupfer

German Gaf unite!
5MOa5GG.jpeg

Top Bottom