• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Souls II Lore Thread of speculations, spoilers and headaches

ElFly

Faraam - God of War

Faraam's name appears on the armor set that is the flagship armor set of the Chosen Undead in Dark Souls II. The armor from the description is said to be blessed by the war god Faraam and worn by the Lion Knights of Forossa

I guess this is the name of the First Born.

Eusis

Problem there is that not only was he forgotten in the period of DS1, but so was everyone else from that time (except, funnily enough, Elizabeth.) I suppose there'd be some irony if the one whose name was forgotten was restored in the present, but I'd think the sun covenant would be more readily findable, rather than seemingly excavated from underground.

That could, however, be a NEW name for the same god, as it was said the gods have gone under different names.

ElFly

Yeah it's prolly a new name that he got once he was unforgotten or something.

I wonder if Drangleic was banished to the Dreamland or something.

Again, Old Intro Lady, Shanalotte or not, says "Perhaps you have seen it, maybe in a dream". There's of course the tree in the intro, filled with fireflies -which I hear in some japanese traditions represent dead soldiers/people-. This will be important later.

Then the intro shows that you are dragged into a typhoon into the reflection of the lake, which is probably Majula. Then you wake up in the weird gazebo in Things Betwixt. Things Betwixt is full of trees, mostly giant trees.

Then you have the description of the Spirit Tree Shield and the Grand Spirit Tree Shield.

Spirit Tree Shield said:
A shield with a blue relief of a spirit tree. A rather well-built shield decorated by the spirit tree that appears in the allegory of Quella, god of dream.

Grand Spirit Tree Shield said:
Shield of the blue spirit tree that and is said to possess divine powers.
Appears in the allegory of Quella, god of dream, and can deflect spells by parrying.
Once there was a boy who was easily frightened, until the talking tree of the dreamworld transformed itself into a shield to protect him.

Here's the shield and the grand shield, which have the eponymous tree drawn on them. Each has a different tree painted -which indicates these are not really the shield of the legend, just reproductions of the legend-.

EWhqUJE.png
aLdiSwI.png

Then there is the mysterious tree engraving in Drangleic castle. It has a different shape from the trees in the shields, but it doesn't matter, cause the trees in the shields differ from each other too.

Ok so obviously the two shields represent the same tree, but maybe this is a different tree? There's a hint it is not. In the Farfire website, this tree is used to represent the amount of dead people, with an overlay of glowing masses, like the intro fireflies. So at least this is the tree from the intro, and maybe the tree of dreams.

And finally, you have the new message you can write, that was not present in Dark Souls 1 or Demon (thus "new").

"Like a dream".

So you have a dream talking tree, trees you can enter the memories of -trees that are really "slumbering giants"-, a symbol of a tree in a prominent place in Drangleic Castle, and the message comparing places to dreams. And the fact that Drangleic can be seen in dreams.

So maybe the ex-Lordran was vanished into the dreamland, where Vendrick can finally reach these new giant/tree beings that go into slumber like the dream god. Maybe it was vanished there to protect the rest of the world from the curse, maybe Vendrick sent Drangleic there in purpose.

Mistel

Banned
The trees are properly interpretations of the spirit tree it mentions in the grand shield description. I wonder if that has anything to do with witchtree spirits?

Zocano

But he is not... according to an interview with Miyazaki the one that was going to be that descendant of Lord Gwyn was André of Astora, they decided to cut that from the game so the first born of Lord Gwyn is not in the game.

It's interesting that there's an item description that says something about the actual God of War (probably the son of Lord Gwyn) in Dark souls II, unfortunately for me I don't remember right now what item is that.

Like I said, according to what's given.

That sort of content wasn't in the game so there's no evidence really for that. I'm sure there were plenty of other plans and ideas that got cut but we can't and will never know all the intended answers/plots points.

I think it's silly that he comes around and says "oh this is what it was supposed to be" when there is no evidence for that at all.

Also I am one to think that most names that are brought up in items and such pretty much have to be in the game in some form (like the prince and princess of Venn and Alken).

That isn't even Navlaan though he was executed with his village. I don't think that form Navlaan's dialouge you can make her into a firekeeper.

I don't see how a monstrous being inhabiting Navlaan doesn't make what he says any less correct to go on. Like I said, I don't imagine most writers to be good enough to handle red herrings well and the hints given pretty much have to be the only answer. He calls her a fire keeper, she probably (definitely) has some tie to the fire keepers.

I should note given the translation stuff that has come out, I don't think that she and the old fire keeper in the opening are the same.

I just think she definitely has something to do with the fire keepers. Probably possessing one of their powers from Aldia's experiments.

ElFly

Yeah the witchtree is barely mentioned. But the witchtree chime/wand are in the forgotten chamber under majula, at the start of the pit -but behind a key- instead of being someplace tree-significant, like a giant memory or amana.

Like I said, according to what's given.

That sort of content wasn't in the game so there's no evidence really for that. I'm sure there were plenty of other plans and ideas that got cut but we can't and will never know all the intended answers/plots points.

I think it's silly that he comes around and says "oh this is what it was supposed to be" when there is no evidence for that at all.

Also I am one to think that most names that are brought up in items and such pretty much have to be in the game in some form (like the prince and princess of Venn and Alken).

He (Miyazaki) did exactly that though, and it's not uncommon that a creator does explain things during interviews and during events out of their own work. He said the best ending for Solaire was to be possessed by the strange parasite in Lost Izalith because that way he would find his sun, otherwise he would link the fire and would be consumed by it in his world.

Since it is Word of God, I assume that linking the fire is the bad ending of the first DS. I try to take into account that information when I try to formulate my own theories about these games.

Zocano

He (Miyazaki) did exactly that though, and it's not uncommon that a creator does explain things during interviews and during events out of their own work. He said the best ending for Solaire was to be possessed by the strange parasite in Lost Izalith because that way he would find his sun, otherwise he would link the fire and would be consumed by it in his world.

Since it is Word of God, I assume that linking the fire is the bad ending of the first DS. I try to take into account that information when I try to formulate my own theories about these games.

No, I get that, but with the way Dark Souls fact-finding is structured, it's lame that the intended answer from the creator is not actually in the game at all.

So going "oh but it's just supposed to be Andre" means little to nothing to me when I think the work should speak for itself.

I get things go through cuts (otherwise I wouldn't be as lax on Dark Souls 2 as I am), but I think it's silly to be "corrected" when the intended answer is not in anyway addressed in the game.

All reasonable signs point to Solaire so that's what I assume it is just like most other "mysteries" in the game.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Crown of the Ivory King

Eleum Loyce looks and feels like the starting area in Lordan, specifically the chute (going downwards) appears to look like the an empty space for the tree (which existed above the shell of Lost Izalith) in Dark Souls 1.

The first bonfire directly reminded me of the Fire Link Shrine.

So I am assuming that this part of the story takes place in another time

ElFly

I don't think it is time travel.

It is showing that Drangleic isn't the only place dealing with the curse. Well, at least the Old Iron King area was a remnant of that kingdom, before Vendrick arrived, and so did Shulva, seemingly existing under Drangleic, but Eleum Loyce seems to be someplace else.

But you are right in that Eleum Loyce is a lot like Lordran, down to the king taking his best soldiers and going down personally to deal with the problem, and that it ends corrupting him.

The most interesting part of the DLC is that the other Queens of Dark do not necessarily behave like Nashandra and sometimes are actually on the side of good, like with Alsanna.

Does this last DLC explain anything about Forossa? Because it seems Eleum Loyce it's Forossa's capital, but I don't really see anything relating to the Lion people or Vengarl or that ant, or whatever.

ElFly

First Scholar of the first Sin spoilers!

SPOILERS!

Some guy was on the PSX expo and took some photos

Changed description for an early boss' soul

http://i.imgur.com/Bg7yQxN.jpg

well, that's one fan theory confirmed, and also makes memories time travel?

Rest of the post ain't that interesting, although it shows the -somewhat generic, for ds2 at least- convo with a new npc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2oqivw/scholar_of_the_first_sin_now_with_sweet_sweet/

I do like that the last giant thing was confirmed since it made sense for it to be him, but don't like that memories being time travel have been confirmed.

ElFly

So Scholar of the first Sin hit.

Spoilers I guess?

I've noticed almost no new descriptions. Except one, the Giant's Kinship

The flames roar, but will soon begin to fade,
and only a worthy heir might burnish their light.
What is it, truly, a claimant of the throne could desire?

Top Bottom