• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The definition of "last generation"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Gaf just loves talking about power (probably to compensate their penis or flaps). I don't know why people keep going on and on and on and on about hardware specs. It's boring and repetitive.

Gaming GAF made a thread about preferring spending huge wads of cash on a "powerful" console. Let me remind you that. Paints a picture.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There's a twist.

For you guys claiming WiiU isn't 'next-gen' for whatever agenda you have, it must therefore be current-gen.

So, who built the most powerful current-gen console? Was it Sony? No. Was it Microsoft? No. Could it be, could it be, could it possibly be Nintendo? Yes, Yes Yes!

Painted yourselves into a corner, you have. Sawn off the X360/PS3 branch that you have been sitting on all this time.

MasLegio

Banned
There's a twist.

For you guys claiming WiiU isn't 'next-gen' for whatever agenda you have, it must therefore be current-gen.

So, who built the most powerful current-gen console? Was it Sony? No. Was it Microsoft? No. Could it be, could it be, could it possibly be Nintendo? Yes, Yes Yes!

Painted yourselves into a corner, you have. Sawn off the X360/PS3 branch that you have been sitting on all this time.

the only fanboys in this thread are the Nboys so I do not think "we" care about which is the most powerful.

I do not care about such things, only about what is right

IrishNinja

man, page 1 is a hot mess of jrs and people who prolly shouldve stayed there apparently...awful arguments

I don't understand how this is even up for discussion. Wii U will be the first 8th Generation console, and Ouya will be the second.

This isn't something that's tied to console power. It's tied to release dates and manufacturer progression.

thank you, shouldve been first reply

amazing that so many people get this wrong, really

the only fanboys in this thread are the Nboys so I do not think "we" care about which is the most powerful.

I do not care about such things, only about what is right

your first statement paints you a fanboy, and your 2nd is blatantly incorrect because you started off incorrectly calling the WU a current gen machine, then moved the goalposts for yourself to call it next gen with current gen bits or whatever arbitrary mess you required

it's a pretty binary question in the OP, people. any of you not calling the WU next gen are having to do like this guy and play with words like a sophist to not face reality.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can you give a rundown of all of the specialized hardware? Considering you're a programmer who knows all the intricacies of the system.
I just meant it's different to the PS3 and 360. Can you give a rundown of how it's not? For one we already know it uses a different CPU, and also has a separate SPU. The GPU is bound to be different as well. It's not like I said that's definitely the reason the ports don't perform better. I just showed such things are possible so it's silly to already judge a whole system's potential based on a few launch games. Do you disagree such things are possible or something? I kinda already proved they are, since they've happened in examples like the one I gave, which didn't even involve brand new and unfamiliar hardware (since, no, as far as we know, it's not just off the shelf parts). I like how you removed the link in your quote, that was a nice touch. Also, I never said I'm a programmer. I don't need to be one to make that point. And even if I was, I wouldn't suddenly have more inside info to say anything more definitive than the simple point I made. Which was really just stating the obvious, though it sadly had to be done thanks to Perkel.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Look at it like graphics card releases:

There's this GTX 680, right now, current generation.

Say there's a GTX 860 two years later, slightly weaker than the GTX 680, even though it's built from newer technology.

The GTX 860 is still next generation, despite which one is more powerful. Why? Because of two factors: time and technology.

Time and technology are the reasons you can't argue against the Wii U being next generation. Relative power is completely irrelevant in the discussion.

Top Bottom