• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

ClaDun is awesome and I'll never get tired to recommend it to anyone. It's a dungeon crawler with a fun story and the usual amount of customization you'd expect in a NIS game. It also has really good music that you can enjoy in regular or 8bit format.
You're on an island and by completing the main dungeons you unlock the next ones as well as progressing the story, which is wacky and fun.

Someone else will have to talk about Crimson Gem Saga, because I haven't played it yet.

How does the co op work on this game?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I'm trying to decide on my first PSP RPG. I'm playing on my Vita, so I'm limited to what's compatible.

I have Tactics Ogre already, but I'm not in the mood for a SRPG, I'm in the mood for a more traditional JRPG with stuff like an overworld and towns to explore. I like depth, but I don't want something that's too complex or difficult. I like to just kick back, relax and lose myself in the game without getting stuck or frustrated. My favorite JRPGs are Tales of Vesperia and Skies of Arcadia, so something similar would be fantastic.

Right now I'm looking at Lunar Silver Star Story and Trails in the Sky, but I don't know a lot about them. I'll browse this thread but any help would be appreciated.

So I'm trying to decide on my first PSP RPG. I'm playing on my Vita, so I'm limited to what's compatible.

I have Tactics Ogre already, but I'm not in the mood for a SRPG, I'm in the mood for a more traditional JRPG with stuff like an overworld and towns to explore. I like depth, but I don't want something that's too complex or difficult. I like to just kick back, relax and lose myself in the game without getting stuck or frustrated. My favorite JRPGs are Tales of Vesperia and Skies of Arcadia, so something similar would be fantastic.

Right now I'm looking at Lunar Silver Star Story and Trails in the Sky, but I don't know a lot about them. I'll browse this thread but any help would be appreciated.

I'm now on the final Chapter of Trials of the Sky and it satisfys the Turn Based RPG itch extremely well. Narratively, it's a slow burn, but the writing and characterizations of the characters and the world is very well done along with a a solid battle system. Consider it a vote for Trails of the Sky. Actually looking for another rpg to move on from after I finish this one.

I'm now on the final Chapter of Trials of the Sky and it satisfys the Turn Based RPG itch extremely well. Narratively, it's a slow burn, but the writing and characterizations of the characters and the world is very well done along with a a solid battle system. Consider it a vote for Trails of the Sky. Actually looking for another rpg to move on from after I finish this one.

cosign every word. it starts off slow and the bickering is annoying for a while but it all comes together...

Crimson Gem Saga looks to be more of an SNES style JRPG with a decent combat system and some nice visuals. Hows the story, I'd like some opinions on this one aswell if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Crimson Gem Saga was enjoyable at first, but the luster wore off quickly for me. Combat is decent but pretty grindy, especially in the endgame when shop prices shoot into the stratosphere. Also, prepare to be massively disappointed and/or pissed off at the completely ridiculous ending.

It is a nice-looking game, though. For $15 on PSN it might be worth your while.

Yeah, I was just watching some footage of TitS and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Downloading now.

Sweet, I hope you enjoy it. One of the best JRPGs released in the past 5+ years IMO.

But just a heads up, it starts off very slowly, but it's all done purposely and the payoff is totally worth while IMO. Explore and talk to your hearts content and you'll get the most out of this game.

Verelios

Yeah, I was just watching some footage of TitS and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Downloading now.

Just a word to the wise- that journal is actually important. I know, I know, shitty interfaces and all, but no. Connecting lines to get abilities is a bitch, and that journal is a god-send for figuring out what you need.

Focus on one element in the beginning for each character and it'll probably work out fine.

Just a word to the wise- that journal is actually important. I know, I know, shitty interfaces and all, but no. Connecting lines to get abilities is a bitch, and that journal is a god-send for figuring out what you need.

Focus on one element in the beginning for each character and it'll probably work out fine.

It still baffles me that most games can't figure out how to get journals or quest logs right.

All I need to know is what I need to do, where to do it, and what mobs or w/e drops it!

If I was 'roleplaying' I'd at least have that shit written down =/

derwalde

someone still playing Gods Eater Burst?

Im 20hrs in, and wow, i love that game. I cant get why it gets all the hate on other boards and in some reviews (hello IGN). The Lock-On feature is (in comparison to MH-Games) what makes this game good to control, even on the PSP.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
someone still playing Gods Eater Burst?

Im 20hrs in, and wow, i love that game. I cant get why it gets all the hate on other boards and in some reviews (hello IGN). The Lock-On feature is (in comparison to MH-Games) what makes this game good to control, even on the PSP.

I actually just bought it earlier this week. Only about 13 hours in. Loving it so far. I'm actually enjoying it more than I did with MH.

derwalde

I actually just bought it earlier this week. Only about 13 hours in. Loving it so far. I'm actually enjoying it more than I did with MH.

same here. MH is just unplayable on the PSPGo for me. sadly noones playing GEB online (PS3Adhoc). and one more advice: if you pick up items called "over capacity", this means your inventory is full. took my 2hrs of grinding for nothing to get the idea.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
same here. MH is just unplayable on the PSPGo for me. sadly noones playing GEB online (PS3Adhoc). and one more advice: if you pick up items called "over capacity", this means your inventory is full. took my 2hrs of grinding for nothing to get the idea.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I probably would have thought that it was a stat boosting item. I haven't tried to play it online at all yet, since I think that if I somehow got in a room with someone I'd probably hold them back lol.

sure this has been asked a zillion times...but which is the best persona? I've played none of them but I'm ready now

I think P4 is the best, but from the ones available on PSN, definately P3P.

Edit: If you live in the EU, Ghostlight just dropped the prices on all their games on PSN, including P3P, Persona 2 and TiTS.

Lain

I think P4 is the best, but from the ones available on PSN, definately P3P.

Edit: If you live in the EU, Ghostlight just dropped the prices on all their games on PSN, including P3P, Persona 2 and TiTS.

Ohh that's nice, how much do they cost now?

ReaperXL7

Damn, i'm stuck. I want to pick something up but i'm torn on what I want. Times like this I wish that psp demos worked on Vita, because right now I would like to pick up Cladun 1/0r 2, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Patapon, Dissidia, or Gods Eater Burst, but I just can't choose one.

Probably going to have to look into reviews, but Cladun has always interested me so i'm probably going to jump on that one...just gotta look into what the differences are between one and two.

JJD

Guys I bought Persona 1,2 and 3 for the Vita, any tips or guides I should read?

I bought then on the PSN, do they have a digital manual?

Finally what kind of game if the Ragnarok Xseed is localising for the Vita?

ReaperXL7

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but i'm assuming your asking about what kind of game ragnarok is? It's basically like a Monster Hunter style game with character customization, fun fluid combat, leveling, etc.

To give you an Idea, this is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHVzyONO5KU

Trigger

None needed for P3, but I found 2's level design oddly hard to navigate. You might need to reference gamefaqs for the earlier installments. P3 is very well-paced and isn't hard on a blind playthrough. I'd also suggest you play them in order (to appreciate the evolution of the series).

JJD

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but i'm assuming your asking about what kind of game ragnarok is? It's basically like a Monster Hunter style game with character customization, fun fluid combat, leveling, etc.

To give you an Idea, this is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHVzyONO5KU

None needed for P3, but I found 2's level design oddly hard to navigate. You might need to reference gamefaqs for the earlier installments. P3 is very well-paced and isn't hard on a blind playthrough. I'd also suggest you play them in order (to appreciate the evolution of the series).

Thank guys!

Arsin

Quick question, I would love to pick up Jeanne d'Arc on my new Vita, but I can not find it on the PS store. How would I go about getting this awesome game?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Setre

Quick question, I would love to pick up Jeanne d'Arc on my new Vita, but I can not find it on the PS store. How would I go about getting this awesome game?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Buy it on PS3 then transfer it to your Vita. If you don’t have a PS3 not sure what you can do.

WillieAames

Neo Member
Thanks to all for the TiTS recommendations - loving it so far. Lunar, Tactics ogre, FF4 and P3 are next on my list.

Well done OP. This thread, along with MLB, are what finally convinced me to buy a Vita.

Teknoman

Guess i'll jump on Legend of Heroes TiTS since i've just got 20 dollars sitting on my PSN. Gungnir isnt PSV compatible yet, so figure I may as well give it a shot. I kinda like what i've heard of the soundtrack, but not trying to spoil myself too much, since I havent seen a Falcom game with a soundtrack I didnt like...yet.

Thanks to all for the TiTS recommendations - loving it so far. Lunar, Tactics ogre, FF4 and P3 are next on my list.

Well done OP. This thread, along with MLB, are what finally convinced me to buy a Vita.

Agreed on the thread love. Also, I just want to add that Lunar looks amazing on the Vita's screen. :D

I hope we get a Persona 2:EP confirmation soon. I know everyone says it's a sure thing, but I won't be able to rest easy until we get the official word.

It would really suck to miss the last of the remaining PSP ports in the US.

Eusis

I hope we get a Persona 2:EP confirmation soon. I know everyone says it's a sure thing, but I won't be able to rest easy until we get the official word.

It would really suck to miss the last of the remaining PSP ports in the US.
It's admittedly less of a sure thing than most MegaTen releases. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic though, especially with Ragnarok Tactics announced.

It's admittedly less of a sure thing than most MegaTen releases. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic though, especially with Ragnarok Tactics announced.
It's literally the last PSP game that Atlus USA needs to worry about, barring some super cool unannounced PSP RPG. (And/or if all my wildest dreams come true and Atlus decided to bring us the first Growlanswer too.)

There are other PSP games I'm waiting/hoping for (Trails, Type-0, etc.), but those are all being handled by other companies.

hongcha

I'm thinking of buying Ys 6 on the JP PSN store (it's only 2300 yen). Anyone know if the load times improve on the Vita, as compared to the PSP?

Aru

I'm thinking of buying Ys 6 on the JP PSN store (it's only 2300 yen). Anyone know if the load times improve on the Vita, as compared to the PSP?

2300 yens is kinda expensive for such an old (and bad) port.
I'd wait for a Steam release of the original PC version at this point.
I'm not sure the load times are better on Vita than on PSP (at least the DD version).

Eusis

2300 yens is kinda expensive for such an old (and bad) port.
I'd wait for a Steam release of the original PC version at this point.
I'm not sure the load times are better on Vita than on PSP (at least the DD version).
They SHOULD be, I seem to recall accounts that it was way better when the UMD was ripped, and while a PSN ISO is compressed it'll still load way faster than a UMD would, with the Vita having an edge over the PSP there. But there's still other problems like the crap textures and awful sound quality for SFX, so personally I'd wait and see if Xseed gets the PC version on Steam.

Eusis

the game only has bad load times on phat psps,on slims it has almost none,it seems it was built around the umd caching feature

comparison

phat

slim

so yes,on vita it should load even faster
From personal experience it was NOT that much better on a Slim, so he was probably using an ISO. However, that probably means that by downloading off PSN you'll get the "Slim" load time, and if playing stuff like Killzone Liberation is any indicator you'll also have the game running faster, so it'll likely be much nicer player Ys VI on Vita versus PSP.

I'd still hold out for Steam though, the Oath in Felghana port spoiled me badly.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'd still hold out for Steam though, the Oath in Felghana port spoiled me badly.
I'd do the same if you're interested in playing through Ys VI. I've only played the PC version and it's heavenly. If XSEED brought it out on Steam and patched in true widescreen support, I'd be all over it.

Eusis

I already played through on PS2, and that was a fairly good port really. It's just the PSP that's kind of bad, and it looks worse in light of Falcom's own efforts with that engine: Trails in the Sky may be their weakest attempt at it yet it's STILL miles ahead of Ys VI.

hongcha

the game only has bad load times on phat psps,on slims it has almost none,it seems it was built around the umd caching

so yes,on vita it should load even faster

Thanks a lot. I downloaded Ys 6 today and played it on my vita for about an hour. Loads are a few seconds at most, but many are less than a second. The game plays super smooth and looks really awesome on the Vita. Colors are super vivid. Also, just to be clear the version downloadable on the JP psn is the Special Edition.

Highly recommended for Ys fans who have a JP psn account on their Vitas!

Top Bottom