• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

NekoFever

I only just discovered the Disney Movie Rewards site. Added all my Disney BDs and had enough for two free ones, so I finally replaced my copy of Pirates of the Caribbean with the framing issue. I'll save the rest until something I really want turns up.

I've got Bambi on the way, and I'll get Alice in Wonderland when it comes out here next week. That'll put me up to date on all the Disney Classics on BD in the US and UK, which is all the US ones plus Dumbo. Obviously got all the Pixar films as well.

linkboy

isny said:
It's pretty much been confirmed now as coming this year. They spoke a lot about it in 2009, then changed their minds and only released it internationally, but have been marketing it now through inserts and trailers with their latest releases with a 2011 date.

I figured it would be, but I still went and bought it off of Ebay. Its going to cost me about the same, I get it earlier and I figured the only major difference would be replacing the Portuguese language option with a French language option.

FOOTE

re: Dumbo

There were also inserts and trailers a few years ago too, so I'll believe it when I see it. Although, I am sure you are right, that it will be out later this year. I'll go ahead and just be happy with my import, the disc wont be any different.

ghostmind

isny said:
j6770g.jpg

You need the PIxar Shorts and "Cars Toons".

Mr. Wonderful said:
Fantasia 2000, on the other hand, while good in it's own right, really isn't anything to get too excited about. My biggest complaint against the film is that it almost, except for certain moments, completely loses the synchronization between picture and sound that the original Fantasia had. In fact, the very first video involving a pod of humpback whales has pretty much NOTHING to do with the music. Instead, it's more about, "Hey look at this CG! We created it for IMAX! Come see our show in IMAX, because the amazing QUALITY of the picture and sound is all we've got!"

I can see for some, Rhapsody in Blue though perfectly matches with the music, and is probably one of the best pieces from either Fantasias.

Magnus

Thanks so much for the heads up about Alice in Wonderland and the $10 coupon! Didn't realize it worked in Canada.

I've gotta sign up for this rewards program! Thought it was just for the states.

So at the end of today I'll have both Alices on bluray, the original 2D animation classic, and the Burton live action; but I've never seen either before, lol. I imagine the 'return to wonderland' storyline in Burton's film means I should watch that second? :)

I've been loving the bluray releases, but don't have enough of a soft spot for Pinnochio to grab it, nor Bambi when they come out. My memory of both films was of rather sad and melodramatic stories, lol. I think I'll pass.

Currently have Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty & the Beast, Alice in Wonderland (Burton), Fantasia/2000 (so brilliant). Give me Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas (please!), Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, Emperor's New Groove, Tarzan, Treasure Planet, Atlantis: the Lost Empire!

I should think about grabbing Princess & the Frog and most of the Pixar films too. They're all always so damned expensive though. No thanks to a $40 movie.

Magnus said:
So at the end of today I'll have both Alices on bluray, the original 2D animation classic, and the Burton live action; but I've never seen either before, lol. I imagine the 'return to wonderland' storyline in Burton's film means I should watch that second? :)
You should not watch it at all and return it ASAP.

It's fucking terrible.

YagizY

ghostmind said:

Are the Pixar Shorts really necessary considering that the shorts what went long with the movie always comes with the movie release as an special feature?

isny

napkin dispenser
Mockingbird said:
Ummm, where is Pixar's Short Stories Vol. 1? You have alice in Wonderland live-action but not Bridge to Terabithia? COME ON NOW!

Have Short Stories on SD DVD.

Waiting on Bridge to hit $10 or end up on the Movie Rewards site so I can burn some of my thousands of points.

ghostmind said:

See above. Also waiting on Car Toons to jump to around $10. Cheapest I've seen it is around $18. (I'd also replace my Short Stories if it could be had for the same amount)

Gouty said:
You own Up, Monsters Inc, Ratatouille, and Cars and haven't watched them?

I have. I had all of the Steelbooks and ended up selling them due Disney stopping them and changing to Ironpacks. (So I replaced them with the regular releases, which actually contain all of the discs, as opposed to the Steelbooks that were missing bonus discs)

yacobod said:
man i will never understand why some ppl keep those ugly cardboard sleeves on their dvds/blurays

I actually go out of my way as a collector to get them, even if it means paying more, as they usually only ship with the first batch of releases and end up adding value to the item. (And most look amazing!)

GhaleonQ

YagizY said:
Are the Pixar Shorts really necessary considering that the shorts what went long with the movie always comes with the movie release as an special feature?

1. All of them aren't on the DVDs.
2. The history and special features on the shorts are quite interesting.
2. I don't like Pixar's shorts or features, but people who like animation often buy animated shorts collections to have them all in 1 place. I could watch most of Nina Shorina's or Tadanari Okamoto's work on various video websites, but better to have it beautifully presented and together.

Alice & Wonderland Burton was fun. Definitely worth watching in my opinion. Too many people here take their opinion as fact and you could end up missing a fun movie.

isny

napkin dispenser
VGChampion said:
Alice & Wonderland Burton was fun. Definitely worth watching in my opinion. Too many people here take their opinion as fact and you could end up missing a fun movie.

It was indeed fun, and well worth the $10 or so I paid for it when it was released.

see5harp

The only part of Alice I loved was Helena Bonham Carter and I agree that the useless cardboard sleeves add a whole lot of nothing to the packaging. All they are doing is creating waste. There's a reason Criterion ditched them.

Magnus

This coupon printing BS is awful. I don't have a printer at home and have no way to get access to the coupon unless I can find a printer to hook my laptop up to. lol

I started asking some friends and family, and it's remarkable how all of them don't own a printer. Everyone, like me, just prints at school or work. Hilarious.

I don't suppose I could upload a photo here to prove I own the specified blurays and someone could send me a scanned copy of the coupon or something? :(

Just found out the movie is $29.99 on bluray at every Canadian retailer too. Goddamn.

isny

napkin dispenser
Magnus said:
This coupon printing BS is awful. I don't have a printer at home and have no way to get access to the coupon unless I can find a printer to hook my laptop up to. lol

I started asking some friends and family, and it's remarkable how all of them don't own a printer. Everyone, like me, just prints at school or work. Hilarious.

Just found out the movie is $29.99 on bluray at every Canadian retailer too. Goddamn.

$26.99 through Superstore/Loblaws, so $16.99 after coupon.

I'd be more than willing to mail you a coupon if you're in Canada, but by that time the price won't be $26.99.

AAK said:
How about Miyazaki films for BluRay?

I've wanted to pick those up, but haven't been able to find a good enough sale.

Dead

well not really...yet
yacobod said:
man i will never understand why some ppl keep those ugly cardboard sleeves on their dvds/blurays
They look much better on the shelf as opposed to the naked blu-ray cases. I dont understand why anyone would throw them away...

Le-mo

Dead said:
They look much better on the shelf as opposed to the naked blu-ray cases. I dont understand why anyone would throw them away...
I put all of my sleeves in a box. It looks out of place on my shelf since not all of the movies came with sleeves.

BertramCooper said:
You should not watch it at all and return it ASAP.

It's fucking terrible.

some parts are terrible but other parts are really good so its a mixed bag film. Worth watching at least once though if your a Wonderland fan.

NekoFever

Magnus said:

I don't suppose I could upload a photo here to prove I own the specified blurays and someone could send me a scanned copy of the coupon or something? :(

It's ridiculous how you have to install special printing software as well. I don't have a printer so I was going to use the built-in OS X functionality to print to a PDF, but I couldn't do that because it doesn't give you the option.

B.K.

TheWiicast said:
Just watched my copy of Alice in wonderland (1951) last night. The blu ray transfer is amazing. Almost too good.

It's too bad Disney didn't ship enough of it. :/

Merovin

So behind with my Blu-ray Disney collection. On the verge of catching up.
Currently have;

Toy Story 1 - 3
Up
Beauty and the Beast (On it's way)

I have my basket on Amazon full with Disney Blu-rays I need to get, coming to £204.92. My card cycles on Friday, so can grab them all then, is it worth it GAF?

isny

napkin dispenser
Merovin said:
So behind with my Blu-ray Disney collection. On the verge of catching up.
Currently have;

Toy Story 1 - 3
Up
Beauty and the Beast (On it's way)

I have my basket on Amazon full with Disney Blu-rays I need to get, coming to £204.92. My card cycles on Friday, so can grab them all then, is it worth it GAF?

I'd say wait, as you're in the UK. DVD.CO.UK and Amazon.co.uk both have b1g1 offers 1-2 times a year. (The most recent one being around the holidays)

If you think something may go out of print, by all means, snatch it up, otherwise, I'd think it would be best to wait, you'll get a much better deal.

TheWiicast said:
Just watched my copy of Alice in wonderland (1951) last night. The blu ray transfer is amazing. Almost too good.
I was reading that some of the BD transfers looked a bit too "cleaned up". I can't remember what movies those were right now. Just some comments left on Amazon.

DJ_Tet

Banned
B.K. said:
It's too bad Disney didn't ship enough of it. :/

I really doubt Disney is at fault for undershipping a classic movie. It just might have something to do with the snowstorm that is crippling most of the country?

Just maybe...

(That said if I can't find a copy tonight I'll be right there with you bitching :lol)

isny

napkin dispenser
DCX said:
Does anyone know if Bambi Uk edition is US friendly?

DCX

Catalogue titles are usually not, but new releases are. So nope to Bambi from the UK unless you have a multi region Blu player, or a PC Blu player.

You can always wait for the inevitable release we should be getting this year, or import the region A disc from Mexico.

FOOTE

AAK said:
I have Ponyo.... but Nausicaa is out?
March 8th

isny said:
Catalogue titles are usually not, but new releases are. So nope to Bambi from the UK unless you have a multi region Blu player, or a PC Blu player.

You can always wait for the inevitable release we should be getting this year, or import the region A disc from Mexico.
This. Bambi will be released on March 1st in the US.

btkadams

how do i unlock the coupon on the disney rewards site? i followed the instructions and entered my beauty and the beast magic code, but i don't see any offers displayed. it registered my beauty and the beast blu ray but i can't find any unlocked coupon in the "unlocked offers" tab.

Le-mo

I went to Bestbuy today to pick up Alice in Wonderland and guess what? It was sold out. -_-

Edit: I checked Wal-mart website and they're also selling it for $19.99. Is it 100% they're taking the coupon?

Le-mo said:
I went to Bestbuy today to pick up Alice in Wonderland and guess what? It was sold out. -_-

Edit: I checked Wal-mart website and they're also selling it for $19.99. Is it 100% they're taking the coupon?
It's a manufacturer's coupon, they'd better take it.

shwimpy

btkadams said:
how do i unlock the coupon on the disney rewards site? i followed the instructions and entered my beauty and the beast magic code, but i don't see any offers displayed. it registered my beauty and the beast blu ray but i can't find any unlocked coupon in the "unlocked offers" tab.
Enter the UPC code.

any of those unlocks the coupon.

AAK said:
How about Miyazaki films for BluRay?
I'd kill for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on blu-ray.

Just saw Tangled at the theater. It only started showing here yesterday.

Maximus was XD. I'll have another Blu-Ray movie to buy once I get my PS3 this April.

FOOTE

The Dutch Slayer said:
Where is my Aladin Trilogy blu-ray Disney?
I love does movies and I with I could see them in Full HD :D
It will most likely come out sometime, we have to wait and see though. There are tons of classics that I want in which I am waiting to something, anything, to know that they are working on it.

I'd really like to have most of them by 2015, but Disney is releasing them all so slow, that's unlikely.

Monocle

shwimpy said:
I'd kill for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on blu-ray.
I'd hang out with a guy who would kill for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on blu-ray so I could make off with his disks while he hid the bodies.

Suairyu

Banned
FOOTE said:
I'd really like to have most of them by 2015, but Disney is releasing them all so slow, that's unlikely.
Given that they're limited release and you have to buy them fairly quickly, I'm glad they are. I'd be overwhelmed and unable to justify the expense else. Also, it's nice in that you can really focus on one film and explore the wealth of bonus features at a leisurely pace. Generally, once I've finished with one set of documentary materials, the next film is almost out.

In fact, recently their release schedule has accelerated. I'm not done with the Beauty and the Beast documentaries yet, but I also have Fantasia/2000 and Bambi to work through now. I've had to postpone a lot of Pixar purchases to keep up, which luckily aren't limited release.

FOOTE

Suairyu said:
Given that they're limited release and you have to buy them fairly quickly, I'm glad they are. I'd be overwhelmed and unable to justify the expense else. Also, it's nice in that you can really focus on one film and explore the wealth of bonus features at a leisurely pace. Generally, once I've finished with one set of documentary materials, the next film is almost out.

In fact, recently their release schedule has accelerated. I'm not done with the Beauty and the Beast documentaries yet, but I also have Fantasia/2000 and Bambi to work through now. I've had to postpone a lot of Pixar purchases to keep up, which luckily aren't limited release.
I definitely see where you are coming from. They are also definitely releasing the movies faster as well, you are right. I'm curious what we might get during the time between The Incredibles and The Lion King. There's a huge gap between those two.

Top Bottom