• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dollop: How sharks became feared in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pJbGRQ7.jpg

The Dollop is a weekly podcast hosted by Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds. Each week one topic from American history is discussed at length.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-06_at_12.54.53_AM.png

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/210-the-new-jersey-shark-attacks

DIRECT MP3 LINK TO THE PODCAST

Did you know that Americans use to not fear sharks at all?
Like the idea of sharks in the water could hurt humans was unthinkable at the time.
How in one year that all changed, it's 1916 in New Jersey and people are getting into summer tourism and read for a swim.

Also most of this story is how Jaws came to be.

Seriously folks you want a good laugh today?
Go listen to this episode

I cried from laughter from this episode :D

Spoiler for a best new word you will hear this year only reveal when you listened to the ep!
The Cafishissioner
I have not laughed this hard in months.
SOOOOO GOOOD :D

Sadsic

I listened to it when it came out, it's definitely one their better episodes. The Otto in the attic and weird animal genocide island ones were good too

Kinyou

I listened to it when it came out, it's definitely one their better episodes. The Otto in the attic and weird animal genocide island ones were good too
That one was amazing all around. Such a crazy story.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/200-otto-in-the-attic

The recent recorded live from Australia episodes have been annoying. Is this one of them?
It's a live episode, but recorded in Los Angeles. (Don't know if that makes a difference for you)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd heard about this long before this podcast and not trying to be hipsterish about it. There are some great reads about this and even how it inspired the movie Jaws. Pretty interesting set of events that all happened in a short amount of time that caused a huge panic with stuff like people sitting by the river with their rifles and guns waiting for a chance to shoot the shark.

maomaoIYP

The Dollop is a fantastic podcast. Well researched and funny as shit.

Edit: I think this is a good time to ask: are there any similar podcasts where it is informative and funny? The Dollop always hardsells My Favorite Murder but that podcast is 30 mins of talking about stuff no one cares about followed by reading wholesale off Wikipedia.

The answer is Jaws right?

No. There were a spate of shark attacks by a great white in the summer of 1916 in New Jersey. For a variety of reasons, the American public had completely lost their fear of sharks, so it was hugely shocking and terrifying. I read a great book about it recently called "Close to Shore." I'm sure this podcast covers a lot of the same ground as that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom