• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

gossi

For anybody wondering - I'm reliably informed by somebody at ZOS that the console release has been a huge success, the number of players vastly outweighs those on PC, and they're busy buying more hardware for both datacenters to keep up with demand. Two thumbs up to those at ZOS who stuck by the console release.

gossi

In case anybody is interested: Elder Scrolls Online on console has 81% score on Metacritic. It's been #1 paid Xbox One game all week on digital store worldwide. It's also the 4th most played title on Xbox One, outdoing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

lazygecko

For anybody wondering - I'm reliably informed by somebody at ZOS that the console release has been a huge success, the number of players vastly outweighs those on PC, and they're busy buying more hardware for both datacenters to keep up with demand. Two thumbs up to those at ZOS who stuck by the console release.

That's good news. But the question is how much of that playerbase they can maintain.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Is the PC version still popular or has everyone abandoned ship to consoles? Picked up on XB1 and was surprised to find that I love it. But I kind of want to start over on PC due bugs where NPCs vanish, random frames chugging, etc. Stuff I imagine would be fine and smooth on the PC.

I also imagine using a controller on PC wouldn't be anywhere near as smooth? I saw there were some mods that helped with it.

gossi

Is the PC version still popular or has everyone abandoned ship to consoles? Picked up on XB1 and was surprised to find that I love it. But I kind of want to start over on PC due bugs where NPCs vanish, random frames chugging, etc. Stuff I imagine would be fine and smooth on the PC.

I also imagine using a controller on PC wouldn't be anywhere near as smooth? I saw there were some mods that helped with it.

The NPC vanishing bug is being fixed on next console patch (Tuesday for Xbox, Wednesday for PS4).

Peltz

How are people enjoying the game on PS4? If I really liked Morrowind back in the day, should I be giving this game a look?

KageMaru

I just don't know about this game. I thought they fixed this but it's still extremely hard to group up with friends and quest. Unfortunately when played alone, it's the worst elders scrolls game by far. I was stuck on a quest for two days that actually required me to start and finish a different quest first, but I don't recall ever being told this. The marker on the compass didn't lead me to this other quest, so if I didn't stumble on this other quest giver, I would have never known.

I want to like this game but I'm not enjoying it much so far. Adventuring and exploring is discouraged when dungeons are locked until you find the quest that leads you there. Also for an MMO, it seems like playing with friends is a chore.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions on things I can do to improve my time with the game? I only spent $10 of my money and still kind of feel ripped off. I would like to start enjoying the game and be able to regularly play with friends.

Are you talking about random pug's or playing with buddies? You can invite your friends at any time and create a group and start questing. Dont see whats the problem here. Grouping with randoms is a problem because the group finder doesnt work as it should but also because most people dont use it like they should. Afaik the developers are working on this.

I dont know im having a blast so far solo and in groups. I also didnt have any quest so far that required another quest to be finished first. Maybe I misunderstood you...

If you think that 10$ were not worth your time so far then this game is probably not for you...;-)

I've played the entire game so far co-op with my brother, and grouping outside of dungeons, delves and the like is pretty bad.

The game forces everyone to pay close attention to stay in sync, and the implementation is very inconsistent: some quests treat the group as such, others require individual actions and even other have a mixed-mode implementation.

lazygecko

I want to like this game but I'm not enjoying it much so far. Adventuring and exploring is discouraged when dungeons are locked until you find the quest that leads you there. Also for an MMO, it seems like playing with friends is a chore.

You are not locked out of dungeons as far as I know. Maybe you're refering to some very specific quest-related ones, but that's how it works in Skyrim as well. Not that it makes it any less annoying.

KageMaru

Are you talking about random pug's or playing with buddies? You can invite your friends at any time and create a group and start questing. Dont see whats the problem here. Grouping with randoms is a problem because the group finder doesnt work as it should but also because most people dont use it like they should. Afaik the developers are working on this.

I dont know im having a blast so far solo and in groups. I also didnt have any quest so far that required another quest to be finished first. Maybe I misunderstood you...

If you think that 10$ were not worth your time so far then this game is probably not for you...;-)

I've been trying to play with friends. Sometimes we can group up, many times we can't. A friend was trying to join my group with two of his characters to help with that quest I was stuck in, but neither his level 5 or level 31 could enter the area I was in. The quest I had issues with was called Hidden in Flames I think. While looking directly at the marker, the objective was said to be "(below)" when it never was. The marker on the compass took me next to the inn, by a well, and when I got close, the compass would turn blue indicating the objective was in the area but I couldn't do anything. Turned out I had to talk to another quest giver and finish that quest first. Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, it's not an issue now but stuck out to me as poor design.

I'm just trying to figure out the quirks of the game and hopefully then it'll click with me. A friend described the game as "like Skyrim but more of it" and I'm not seeing that at all. Think I got this with the wrong expectations and just need to get used to it.

You are not locked out of dungeons as far as I know. Maybe you're refering to some very specific quest-related ones, but that's how it works in Skyrim as well. Not that it makes it any less annoying.

Oh ok good, I just recall a dungeon outside of town and a floor door leading to a cave that was inaccessible until I found the appropriate quest. Remembered watching an older ESO review talking about this and thought it was common. Cool thanks for the response!

I've been trying to play with friends. Sometimes we can group up, many times we can't. A friend was trying to join my group with two of his characters to help with that quest I was stuck in, but neither his level 5 or level 31 could enter the area I was in. The quest I had issues with was called Hidden in Flames I think. While looking directly at the marker, the objective was said to be "(below)" when it never was. The marker on the compass took me next to the inn, by a well, and when I got close, the compass would turn blue indicating the objective was in the area but I couldn't do anything. Turned out I had to talk to another quest giver and finish that quest first. Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, it's not an issue now but stuck out to me as poor design.

Mmmhh, im playing mostly solo atm and only use groups for the 4 man dungeons and although ill have to wait up to 45min sometimes the groups work at least. Regarding the quest yeah ok that sucks, but the game has hundreds of quests and its a MMO so you have to expect bugs this short after launch...;-)

I'm just trying to figure out the quirks of the game and hopefully then it'll click with me. A friend described the game as "like Skyrim but more of it" and I'm not seeing that at all. Think I got this with the wrong expectations and just need to get used to it.

I would describe it as an elder scrolls game with the social features of an mmo on top. Of course its not like Skyrim or any other SINGLE player OFFLINE elder scrolls games. Its an MMO. So of course you wont get that open world feeling where you can go whereever you want because your level dictates the zones where you can go to. I dont get why people are disappointed by that, its not like you cant know this before you buy the game.
Other than that I think it absolutely plays like your typical elder scrolls game, there are some really nice quests in there and because the game has complete voiceover it feels much more immersive.

Idk, im loving it, but im also a huge elder scrolls fan so im looking at this game differently than someone whos not that deep into elder scrolls...

Edit: Found it in the console OT thread, imo nice summary and exactly my thoughts about the game:

Well the game has changed, A LOT since launch, but thats goes for every single mmo that ever existed. ALL mmos will changed based on player feedback after a good year or so.

If you want that full elder scrolls feel, play it in first person and go to the ebon heart pack alliance, visiting some of the same areas from skyrim and seeing how they looked a 1000 years ago....massive feels. It's the most elder scrolls like because of morrowind and skyrim taking place in that same geographical area.

Playing the game with a console controller adds a bit of that elder scrolls feel. Can't explain that, its more of a "feel" type thing you have to just experience.

The only thing this game feels similar to other MMOs is the fact that there is hella people running around, raids, and some quest. But the guild, story, and regional quest are more of the elder scrolls type quest. Where you happens to run across a guy who looks hurt on the ground, asking you for help, you help him, and then shit snowballs into you having to save an entire town, going into oblivion, dealing with deadric princes and shit.

It feels very elder scrollsy in that since that you can sneak and pick pocket people, steal shit, kill npcs, go on a flower picking spree, exploring caves and dungeons and shit, reading books, lots and lots of books, learning about the story of what happened in dungeons or caves through journals and messages left behind, clunky combat, and all that shit. It feels more of a multiplayer elder scrolls than a mmo to me.

I've played a LOT of MMOs and there's only two that I play regularly because they are truely unique from other MMOS, Firefall and Elder Scrolls Online. They also are the few who has first person and full controller support.

lazygecko

ESO Live July 2nd Notes

Leveling:

Increasing the vet rank cap to 16
Each vet rank only takes 850k exp to level
Double exp from public dungeons
20% more exp from everything in Craglorn
50% more exp from quests

Cyrodil:

Battle spirit will now give a 50% reduction to damage, healing and shields in Cyrodil.
Changes to line of sight checks to help with lag.

DK:

Stonefist will now be 28m range and one morph will heal an ally
Battle roar will now scale on the highest stat out of health, mana and stamina

NB:

Shadow cloak will not break from single target abilities
Grim focus will require 4 light attacks to proc the 2nd part

Templar:

Focus charge will no longer have a delay after you charge
Rushed ceremony casts faster
Honor of the dead now gives mana back at a higher % hp and gives the mana back faster
Radiant destruction’s first tick can now crit (bug fix) and overall damage has been reduced

Sorc:

Bolt escape’s 50% bonus mana cost will now stack
Lightning form will now have a stamina morph
Increased mages fury damage by 10%

DW:

Hidden Blade will now give you the 20% weapon dmg buff

Bow:

Volley will now last for longer

WW:

Now only gives a 25% increase to poison damage taken

Vampire:

Now only gives a 25% increased to fire damage taken

Assault:

Magicka detonation’s damage will scale with the number of targets hit

Racial Passives:

Argonians now get more stats restored when drinking potions
Nords now more max hp
Cats now get more crit chance
Orcs now get 4% melee damage bonus instead of 6% change damage

Mundus Stones:

Serpent stone now gives stamina regen

Combat Mechanics:

Dodge roll will now cost 33% more each time you cast it
Blocking now prevents you from regenerating stamina
Taunt immunity will not be applied if only one person is taunting the mob
Nirnhoned now works like reinforced

Champion System:

Nothing…

Post anything I missed below and I’ll update this post.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone want an Imperial Edition account for relatively cheap? I'm moving to PS4 I think and can't transfer over...

hepburn3d

Any news on PC controller support?
The only thing keeping me away from this...

Nope :( when it comes I'll be coming back. Finding it too hard to use my controller emulator after playing other games. Need those button prompts and sleek UI's :)

We'll wait patiently ...

lazygecko

You'd think we would have heard something more about the upcoming DLC content by now that the console version has been out for a while. I know they've planned for Orsinium/Wrothgar as the first content. Then there's the stuff people have datamined like the Imperial City and Skingrad.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This game is currently on sale for $12 on GMG's summer sale and I'm tempted to grab it, but given that I haven't enjoyed an MMO since WoW I don't know if I should. Could someone give me a quick overview of what the game is like? Is it basically Skyrim with MMO mechanics? I did enjoy SW:TOR the little I played of it but it got a bit too grindy for my liking, whereas WoW kept me hooked for a few years due to an interesting world and classes (this was backing during Burning Crusade).

How does this game compare to those two games? Any impressions would be appreciated!

MattyG

Banned
This game is currently on sale for $12 on GMG's summer sale and I'm tempted to grab it, but given that I haven't enjoyed an MMO since WoW I don't know if I should. Could someone give me a quick overview of what the game is like? Is it basically Skyrim with MMO mechanics? I did enjoy SW:TOR the little I played of it but it got a bit too grindy for my liking, whereas WoW kept me hooked for a few years due to an interesting world and classes (this was backing during Burning Crusade).

How does this game compare to those two games? Any impressions would be appreciated!
I haven't played anything other than the beta (just bought it), but from the sounds of it it feels like Skyrim with MMO mechanics. Obviously there's the stuff like zones and the combat isn't EXACTLY the same obviously, but a lot of it seems very similar.

If you want an answer from someone who has played it though, I'd ask in the console OT since it moves much faster than this one and it's the same game content wise on PC and console.

MattyG

Banned
Something is fuck-y about my install. First it froze about 20GB in. Then I rebooted the installer and it started up again fine. It's downloaded about 2GB and counting, and it's still at 0% 1%. I can tell this is gonna take a while.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
bought it from GMG...What have I done...

Bout to pull the trigger myself. $12 is a ridiculous price.

Edit: oh, they are sold out. I would have to go for imperial which is twice the price. No thanks to that.

Jag

1. Got any spec advice for Nightblade? I'm at level 6 and no idea where to put points.

2. Can you have more than 1 skill bar? I already have more skills than bar spaces.

3. Does it make sense to pony ( :cool: ) some cash up to buy the horse early? I need 400 more crowns over the initial 500. I hate running in MMOs.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
these changes dam

Release Info

The Imperial City DLC game pack will be coming to PC/Mac on August 31st, Xbox One on September 15th, and PlayStation®4 on September 16th.

Price

The full Imperial City DLC game pack is included with an active ESO Plus membership. If you are not an ESO Plus member, or your membership lapses, the Imperial City DLC game pack costs 2,500 crowns in the ESOTU Crown Store.

Imperial City DLC Game Pack Features & Content

With the purchase of the Imperial City DLC game pack, you get access to the full Imperial City zone. That includes the following:

All content is available to players that are level 10 and up
A brand new PvP/PvE space, including the six Imperial City Districts
New quests and key characters within the Imperial City
One new Imperial City PvP Public Dungeon: The Imperial Sewers
Two new PvE Imperial City group dungeons with Normal and Veteran versions: White-Gold Tower and Imperial City Prison
The Tel Var Stone system
23 completely new Veteran Rank 16 item sets, only available in Imperial City
Treasure Vaults that contain new Veteran Rank 16 set jewelry and a chance for even rarer finds
Xivkyn racial motif style
New collectibles only available in Imperial City (pets, polymorphs, and a costume)

Imperial City Base-Game Patch

Along with the Imperial City DLC game pack launch, everyone who owns The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will receive the base-game patch at no cost. The base-game Imperial City patch includes hundreds of fixes and improvements to existing game systems and content including combat, classes and skill lines, the Alliance War, dungeons, and quests. Here are a few of the highlights:

15% decrease in the amount of XP it takes to gain a Veteran Rank
100% more XP for all public dungeons
50% more XP for all Veteran Rank quests
20% more XP in Craglorn
Veteran Rank increased to 16
Racial Passive improvements
Mundus Stone buff improvements
Glass racial motif style
Improvements to existing item sets
The ability to hide mount visual upgrades
New crafting skill line passives
New Undaunted pledges
Tons of combat and gameplay balance changes
Improved end-of-campaign Alliance War rewards
…and more!

Watch for the full Imperial City PTS patch notes later this month for full details!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Need to be level 10 to start a new guild - can someone at that level or above please start one for all the newbies like me? Also how annoyed am I that I bought the game from the Ubi store just a few hours before it went on sale for 25 bucks less at GMG? This annoyed:

smack_this.gif

But I'm having fun so far. Wish I could take a better selfie of my character though.

BvSa0YN.jpg

I'm a kitty!

Is there a way to play this with a controller?

Not natively yet, but I'm really hope Zenimax rolls this feature out soon (they're supposedly working on it).

If you google around a bit, some people have put together a controller profile for the game. Haven't tried it myself.

danthefan

Just bought this for 11 euro, haven't installed yet, how active is the GAF guild? Is there a certain server I need to join?

hepburn3d

I haven't logged on in about a month but I can invite to the PC EU GAF guild.

Imperial city is aimed at PvP people so I've still not got any content left to do other than grind :( I'll be back when PvE DLC comes out.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Imperial city is aimed at PvP people so I've still not got any content left to do other than grind :( I'll be back when PvE DLC comes out.
there's PvE content in Imperial City, though.

There's PvE content in Cyrodiil too. Reading the material ZOS has released, it does seem more geared toward toward PvP than PvE.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Thanks, hepburn3d. Unfortunately, I'm in the U.S. I pm'ed XT Vengeance since I thought he was managing the NA guild, but apparently he isn't, so unless anyone knows who is managing that guild and we can contact them, I think the newbies like me just need to level up to 10 so one of us can start a new guild for NA peeps. :/

Top Bottom