• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

hepburn3d

There have been some lag issues but overall not too terrible.

Edit: In other news, stealth system is absolutely bizarre in this game when it comes to invisibility/aggro rules. When sneaking I can fire off an arrow for a sneak attack bonus, hit invisibility a few times while gaining distance and when I come back out I still have aggro/detection.

Yea stealth is a weird one. It's like once you've entered combat you can only hide for so long, or you have to put a lot of distance between you and your enemy. Had a great little stealth fight with a NB at the weekend. Got him to within an inch of death, he shadow cloaked, so did I and then the game of hide and seek began. I eventually saw him hiding behind a rock recovering so I marked him for death, watched him panic walk block in circles, then walked away. Fear is worse than death :)

any problems with servers today or holding up well?

Servers seems to be managing really well, which is surprising. Very minor bit of lag but not enough to ruin any gameplay.

I am only thanking you if I win, otherwise, I'll curse the false hope. CURSE!

Now I want you to win and lose :D

I posted this a while ago on reddit. Was my gaming highlight in PvP, it's a little daunting going into PvP, but if you can find a group or a battle, join in. A short story of how I killed an emperor:

Let me start with who I am. My name is Dark Wish.
For a year now I have been searching for my soul and challenging myself to the toughest tests in Tamriel. I fight in the shadows and I bring death quickly to my foes. I have fought all my battles side by side with my wife, Loralai the sorcerer. While I tell myself I protect her, she is more ferocious and devastating to our enemies than I could ever be.
A year after our journeys had begun we had finally walked out of the Dragonstar arena, injured, exhausted but victorious. We parted with our comrades and decided it was time to take our skills into Cyrodil and fight back against the Daggerfall and Aldmeri scum, that had been tormenting our brothers and sisters.
We joined the fight through the Southern Morrowind gate, given basic training and told to get to the front. Our forces had stormed all but 2 keeps that morning and were ready to surround the Imperial City making way for a new emperor. I stuck to the back providing bow support and setting up my trebuchet to take down walls, while Loralai ran in care free at the front healing our allies and laughing in the face of the enemy. When we finally took Castle Roebeck I felt a great sense of pride and cheered with my comrades. The city was ours. At least for a brief moment. The Daggerfall Covenant hit back swiftly, almost like they had been waiting for us to take the City. One by one they took each keep back from us. They moved as one unit, striking our walls as one, running in as one and moving straight onto the next without a pause. Each time they struck us we fought back hard and held them off as long as we could but their numbers were greater than ours and it wasn't long before we were down to our last keep, Chalman Keep. As with every battle before we held out as long as we could, my wife still filled with rage and craving Blue blood. Our outer keep wall fell and we were forced once again to retreat to the inner keep. They attacked the Eastern wall and it was down within seconds. We stood above dropping flaming oil down but the mob was too big, they moved past it like warm rain was spilling on their Dragon Scales. We were cornered above the stairs but they hadn't noticed us, we shot a few in the back as they climbed the stairs but that just got the mobs attention. We had no choice we were outnumbered at least 30 to 1, so we jumped. We crashed outside the keep, I was within an inch of death. Loralai picked me up, healed me and we snuck up the outer keep wall. Then we heard it, the cheer, the keep had been taken. Our brothers and sisters were all dead. We kept still on the outer wall, we felt dead inside, their blades couldn't hurt hurt us now, we felt a pain greater than any weapon could make. The enemy poured outside and cheered in their glory, they had announced a new emperor, one of their own. We lay quietly on the wall, numb and defeated. As we watched they slowly filtered away. We kept watch in case they decided to make a push for our scrolls but they went in many different directions. For now they were content. Slowly but surely they vanished. 10 left, then 4, then 3, then 1. One soldier remained, standing looking at his map. My wife looked at me and I knew exactly what she was thinking. We snuck as close to the wall edge as we could. I pulled my most Lethal Arrow out and pulled my bow back as far as I could. This soldier would pay for the assault on our Ebonheart Pact. This soldier would be every soldier we couldn't stop. He would feel the last push of our cause. My arrow flew and Loralai's lightning struck, he was on his knees before he knew what was happening. I pulled one more arrow out and made sure it flew true. I watched it strike him down and before his last breath had even left him we had already disappeared. We rolled off the outer keep wall and were riding home. We had not won the war that day but we had won a victory for ourselves ...
Ding Achievement Unlocked - Emperor Slayer!

hepburn3d

2 hours left to get in :-

ModBot 3 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hepburn3d, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
The Elder Scroll Online -- MB-E6CAED4D5B12949B - Taken by HooYaH. 14 entrants total.

t1426675956z1.png

H3xum

So here's a question.

Best Buy is currently selling 60 day sub cards for 30 bucks.

Anyone know if I can plug in whatever code is associated with that and be able to get in and play or do you think I'd need to buy the full game still.

Edit: damnit, modbot :(

So here's a question.

Best Buy is currently selling 60 day sub cards for 30 bucks.

Anyone know if I can plug in whatever code is associated with that and be able to get in and play or do you think I'd need to buy the full game still.

Edit: damnit, modbot :(

You would still need to actually buy the game and have it associated with your account

lazygecko

The initial experience post-Coldharbour intro is indeed poorly handled. The worst part is how they drop you right into a lvl8+ zone when you're just level 3. In the first months of the game, players were taken straight to the faction's starting island (Stros M'Kai, Bleakrock Isle or Kenarthi's Roost) after Coldharbour, but players wanted a way to skip this content if they wanted to, and this was solved in a very silly and convoluted manner by making it opt-in rather than opt-out. I see confused new players all the time wondering why they are killed so easily because they haven't done the proper starting zones.

Also, people who were subscribed prior to the 17th ought to know that you'll still be subscribed afterwards so you need to cancel it manually. You're automatically a ESO Plus subscriber otherwise.

I'm liking ESO but it could definitely use some help in letting the player know what to really do at first. I'm not saying the game should always hold your hand but at the beginning I wouldn't mind it. Until I really get more comfortable with the game I will just play a bit at a time and go slowly. My Imperial Nightblade will have to take the slow and steady approach.

lazygecko

Installed a minimap addon so at least now it's a little easier getting around without having to bring up the map every few seconds

I don't like the minimap addons since they update in a really janky way from what I assume are limitations in addon development. There used to be a minimap in pre-release builds of the game, but they removed it after all the "this looks like every generic MMO ever" complaints in an attempt to differentiate themselves.

That's one of the bigger issues I have with the game really. It has a sort of identity crisis with being a MMO but not wanting to feel like one, so they end up cutting what in the end is very useful info like damage numbers, buff and debuff durations (in spite of these being present in earlier TES games) because these things are considered endemic to the MMORPG "feel".

There are addons that can add buff info with numbers, but again due to limitations they have to "guess" the amount which isn't always accurate (especially with things that can refresh themselves on kills like Evil Hunter from the Fighter's Guild tree).

Azull

Hey so anyone that is interested in picking up cheap cd-keys on either a standard or imperial edition, I found a reseller that is selling the standard edition for $20 and the imperial for $23. Was a little skeptical at first but I just bought a imperial edition key and it's legit! Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you his skype name and I'll inform him beforehand.

Hey so anyone that is interested in picking up cheap cd-keys on either a standard or imperial edition, I found a reseller that is selling the standard edition for $20 and the imperial for $23. Was a little skeptical at first but I just bought a imperial edition key and it's legit! Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you his skype name and I'll inform him beforehand.

This doesn't sound sketchy at all...

KePoW

Banned

haha...

Wallach

The initial experience post-Coldharbour intro is indeed poorly handled. The worst part is how they drop you right into a lvl8+ zone when you're just level 3. In the first months of the game, players were taken straight to the faction's starting island (Stros M'Kai, Bleakrock Isle or Kenarthi's Roost) after Coldharbour, but players wanted a way to skip this content if they wanted to, and this was solved in a very silly and convoluted manner by making it opt-in rather than opt-out. I see confused new players all the time wondering why they are killed so easily because they haven't done the proper starting zones.

Also, people who were subscribed prior to the 17th ought to know that you'll still be subscribed afterwards so you need to cancel it manually. You're automatically a ESO Plus subscriber otherwise.

It's funny because I just found out about this last night after I wrote that post above. Like, the zone they start you in isn't even the starting zone. The way it is set up in Daggerfall Convenant is particularly silly because you have to take a boat from the place they start you in to get to the actual beginner zone - which is exactly the opposite of how it should have worked to protect the new player experience while accommodating experienced players making alts. What the hell.

docbon

People really wanted that nonlinear elder scrolls experience, but I definitely agree that it should have been opt-out, rather than opt-in.

Einbroch

Banned
Got back into it now that it's B2P.

One major issue...game crashes every 15-20 minutes. I get the crash error and boom, closes. Super annoying.

Yeah...I never knew the place you are first in isn't where you're supposed to go...oops...lol

I already finished a few quests in Auridon. I'm at the actual beginning area now so hopefully I haven't messed anything up.

Wallach

Got back into it now that it's B2P.

One major issue...game crashes every 15-20 minutes. I get the crash error and boom, closes. Super annoying.

Were you in a party? The only time I have crashed in this game was last night when partying with docbon; while he was the party leader any time I tried to switch to his instance, I would crash. We had to disband and reform with me as the party leader before it stopped.

Einbroch

Banned
Haven't had that a single time. What's your OS? Running it via Steam or standalone?
Standalone.

I've only had one crash and that was after alt-tabbing out. Other than that I haven't had a single issue so far.

Were you in a party? The only time I have crashed in this game was last night when partying with docbon; while he was the party leader any time I tried to switch to his instance, I would crash. We had to disband and reform with me as the party leader before it stopped.

It happens randomly. Party, not party. Busy action, doing nothing. It's weird.

hepburn3d

Standalone.
It happens randomly. Party, not party. Busy action, doing nothing. It's weird.

I've not had crashes since 1.3 and since 1.6 I've had it freeze and crash twice. It's not as frequent as every 15-20 minutes by any stretch but fingers crossed it's a known bug they are fixing.

Vlodril

i am having crashing issues as well. when it tries to load into an instance or even doing random things. quite frustrating. i can't actually load into oblivion for the main quest because the game keeps crashing on me.

Wallach

I actually just had a crash as well, solo this time. Was just trying to leave that prophet guy's cave after finishing the second Coldharbour instance.

Hopefully the crash reports help them get it sorted quickly.

Edit - I actually can't get out of here. Fuck.

hepburn3d

I actually just had a crash as well, solo this time. Was just trying to leave that prophet guy's cave after finishing the second Coldharbour instance.

Hopefully the crash reports help them get it sorted quickly.

Edit - I actually can't get out of here. Fuck.

teleport to someone on your friends list or in your guild. These bugs haven't happened in months, really weird that they're coming back :| we were playing with a guildy this morning and they couldn't get the main story mission to progress. Send your bug reports to Zeni as they're usually great at fixing and replying. You might have found bugs no one has encountered before ... or there might be a bug so big it's effecting everything :p

KePoW

Banned
few more screens :)

what CPU / GPU do u have?

I've not had crashes since 1.3 and since 1.6 I've had it freeze and crash twice. It's not as frequent as every 15-20 minutes by any stretch but fingers crossed it's a known bug they are fixing.

I had a freeze crash right after installing a couple days ago, while I was looking around in the Video options screen. Not exactly a great impression

I did play ESO for two months at launch and really liked it, so I don't remember crashing too much back then. Hopefully this was just a totally random thing this time...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
what CPU / GPU do u have?

I had a freeze crash right after installing a couple days ago, while I was looking around in the Video options screen. Not exactly a great impression

I did play ESO for two months at launch and really liked it, so I don't remember crashing too much back then. Hopefully this was just a totally random thing this time...

core i5 @ 3.9ghz and a 770 with 4gb of video ram

Leatherface

So now that the monthly fee has been removed and I watched a new trailer, I feel somewhat compelled to give this game a shot now. Keep in mind I've purchased and played so many MMO's that I've lost track at this point and think I just burned myself out on them. Is this more of the same or is there something special about this game that I should perhaps experience? Please sell me GAF. I want to love again. WOW ruined me. :'(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can't wait to hop back in to this today. Are werewolves still trash like at launch or did they get a meaningful buff? Anything change significantly about the classes, everything feel fun/viable right now or is there a launch situation where one thing dominates (light armor/magicka/dragon knights)?

hepburn3d

Can't wait to hop back in to this today. Are werewolves still trash like at launch or did they get a meaningful buff? Anything change significantly about the classes, everything feel fun/viable right now or is there a launch situation where one thing dominates (light armor/magicka/dragon knights)?

Werewolves are boss. They have An epic self heal howl, really good now. All classes have been worked on and feel great. All work great in PvE. Dragon knights still seem king in PvP but they can be taken down. I think you'll be surprised :)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Werewolves are boss. They have An epic self heal howl, really good now. All classes have been worked on and feel great. All work great in PvE. Dragon knights still seem king in PvP but they can be taken down. I think you'll be surprised :)

Sweet. How about heavy armor? Is it viable for dps builds in PvP/PvE, or still pretty much just for tanking? I remember being extremely disappointed that I couldn't wear all my sick ass heavy armor and deal good damage as a Dragon Knight.

lazygecko

Sweet. How about heavy armor? Is it viable for dps builds in PvP/PvE, or still pretty much just for tanking? I remember being extremely disappointed that I couldn't wear all my sick ass heavy armor and deal good damage as a Dragon Knight.

In PvE dungeons you'll probably be forced to wear heavy or ligth sadly for damage dealing. You could use one of the heavy armor costume sets over that though. For PvP I think things are more flexible as the survivability offered by heavy armor will always be a good thing

Seville

Damn, those screens are making me want to try this game out again. Tried the beta when that was out, and wasn't really compelled, but looks interesting now that it's B2P.

Top Bottom