• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cpp_is_king said:
It has nothing to do with consoles. Battlefield 3 came out on consoles and uses DX11. Also, adding DX11 support is far too complex for a modder to come in and do without source code to their engine. It would be a huge overhaul, practically a rewrite of their entire engine.
BF3 also started its life as a PC game first and foremost.

I'm pretty interested in this, but I have never played a TES game before. Will I be able to jump into game easily or will I miss lots of background story?

JoeBoy101

BengaBenga said:
I'm pretty interested in this, but I have never played a TES game before. Will I be able to jump into game easily or will I miss lots of background story?

Oh good god yes. Check out the TES wiki for lore catchup, but each story of the series is separate from the others. In this case, Skyrim is taking place 200 years after the last one. So different land, different people, different time period.

Piercedveil said:
Another thing I plan to do is basically rob every house I see. I loved doing this in Oblivion lol.

Winner.
KuGsj.gif

Fjordson

BengaBenga said:
Most definitely. The meat of the game doesn't depend on prior knowledge of the lore at all.

Though there are connections and mentions. Nothing fundamental, but some light wiki reading would go a long way.

Ledsen

Kermit The Frog said:
Well journos have had the game for a while now and we haven't had any 'this game sucks!' leaks (like BF3 SP did) so it's safe to say the game will have a 90+ metacritic.
Even oblivion got good scores, so by that standard skyrim looks to be a 15/10.

Lakitu

st5fu
For what it's worth
looks like we'll have to go out of our way again to find a vampire cure like Oblivion. A journalist from Gamespot contracted vampirism and was having a hard time finding a cure.

Lakitu said:
For what it's worth
looks like we'll have to go out of our way again to find a vampire cure like Oblivion. A journalist from Gamespot contracted vampirism and was having a hard time finding a cure.

as it should be

the issue in Oblivion
was that it was bugged, uncurable even after the super long quest to get the cure.

lifa-cobex

EviLore said:
I'm glad Dark Souls is turning people onto this sort of game design philosophy. Feels like we're having a bit of a resurgence of genuine hardcore gaming when I see people so enthused about lack of handholding.

Its been a long while since iv felt an "old-school gaming challenge" on this generation of games.
Aside from the internet helping if you get stuck, everything feels very hand fed.

It's nice that demon/dark souls type games still crop up and its getting people back into the mind frame of trying to figure a way forward instead of super happy fun slide.

NBtoaster

lifa-cobex said:
Its been a long while since iv felt an "old-school gaming challenge" on this generation of games.
Aside from the internet helping if you get stuck, everything feels very hand fed.

It's nice that demon/dark souls type games still crop up and its getting people back into the mind frame of trying to figure a way forward instead of super happy fun slide.

But at the same time it is nice to have a game that is easy to get into and doesn't completely demoralise you when you fail.

..well..it might if you forget to save often.

pringles

Lakitu said:
For what it's worth
That was a bitch but at the same time it was one of the most memorable things from that game.

no angel

I'm so hard for this game, I'm determined to hold off until Christmas but damn is that going to be difficult. Oblivion is the only game I've ever completed in terms of achievement lists and I can't wait to do it again.

Must......be.......strong!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
pringles said:
That was a bitch but at the same time it was one of the most memorable things from that game.
Yup, and it was really a great quest for itself too. However, the translation bug in the german version is legendardy. Thank god for internet!

JoeBoy101 said:
Oh good god yes. Check out the TES wiki for lore catchup, but each story of the series is separate from the others. In this case, Skyrim is taking place 200 years after the last one. So different land, different people, different time period.

Thanks! Will check the wiki. Would you recommend playing Oblivion first though? I'm a bit time constrained and rather spend time with Skyrim.

BengaBenga said:
Thanks! Will check the wiki. Would you recommend playing Oblivion first though? I'm a bit time constrained and rather spend time with Skyrim.
Nah, not with Skyrim so close by. If you really get it off with the lore and the style of game and have gotten tired of Skyrim (you know, at some point, that might be a possibility!), then I'd recommend checking out both Morrowind and Oblivion. They're both different games, but very enjoyable, despite their flaws.

Mad_Ban

Is it bad that I'm considering the PS3 version, even though my PC is pretty good (i7 940,6GB RAM, GTX460 1GB SLI)? I really hated the stuttering problems in NV PC, and I hope they've fixed it, but I'm not holding out hope...

I'm loving the soundtrack. There's one piece of wilderness music that sounds very much like the 'Explore 2' piece from Morrowind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TviU2e2S0K4

robut said:
So do you have npc party members like New Vegas?

Yeah. So far I've seen mercenaries I can hire to fight with me (no idea how many you can have at one time), also
I did some cool things for the Jarl of Whiterun and he made me a 'Thane' of the city and gave me some warrior woman as my 'Housecarl', and she'll go pretty much wherever I tell her. You can give her direct commands as well, like go kill that guy, go sit there, etc.

Darklord

Banned
Here is what Atomic said:

Gameplay: 97. Something for every style of play.

Graphics: 92. Environments are amazing.

Sound: 95. Sounds so real you'll flinch.

95%

zethren said:
What's the verdict on unique/scaling items that you've noticed?

Everyone here is dying to find out...lol

Yeah I'm having a hard time finding different items, and it's clear that loot scaling in on. Which I'm trying to compensate with lots of enchantments.

Beside that exploration feels refreshing, and yesterday I turned to be a vampire. At least the game told be that I'm weaker as the sun rises. Indeed I killed a bunch of vampires on a cave.

Another thing that I noticed. Some said that the game would be quite easy. I don't think so. Killing a master enemy requires patience and strategy, and magic and potions. Not so easy. That is definitely good.

Lakitu

st5fu
Darklord said:
Here is what Atomic said:

Gameplay: 97. Something for every style of play.

Graphics: 92. Environments are amazing.

Sound: 95. Sounds so real you'll flinch.

95%

Great score. Also, the reviewer didn't enjoy Morrowind and Oblivion.

Eusis

Mad_Ban said:
Is it bad that I'm considering the PS3 version, even though my PC is pretty good (i7 940,6GB RAM, GTX460 1GB SLI)? I really hated the stuttering problems in NV PC, and I hope they've fixed it, but I'm not holding out hope...
Sort of, going by picking up F3 again on 360 you'd get stuttering anyway if it's going to be an issue. Hell, I kept getting lockups in Broken Steel's final (open) area. If you'll be screwed there anyway may as well get the nicer looking version.

QP3

Dumb question of the day:

Can I duel wield a spell and a bow? or does a bow count as a two-handed weapon??

FGMPR

Banned
nickbreckon said:
There'll be notes when the time comes.

How about patch size? I'm likely going to be capped for the 11th, or very close to it. A 50meg patch or so won't be a big deal, but something like 500megs will be problematic for me...

QP3 said:
Dumb question of the day:

Can I duel wield a spell and a bow? or does a bow count as a two-handed weapon??

I don't know but I have a hard time seeing how that would work. You obviously need two hands to use a bow.

QP3

Lakitu said:
It counts as a two-handed weapon. So you can't duel wield them both.

Ok that's what I figured. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of build I would like to make after my typical Nord Juggernaut.

Dead Man

Government-man said:
I don't know but I have a hard time seeing how that would work. You obviously need two hands to use a bow.
Oblivion allows spellcasting while carrying a bow. Spellcasting uses one hand, the bow uses the other. Obviously when an arrow is drawn you cannot cast. I'm a bit sad to hear Skyrim doesn't do that.

Enco

Dead Man said:
Oblivion allows spellcasting while carrying a bow. Spellcasting uses one hand, the bow uses the other. Obviously when an arrow is drawn you cannot cast. I'm a bit sad to hear Skyrim doesn't do that.
I can't imagine how that's possible.

Doesn't really seem like something that would ruin the game to be honest.

Dead Man said:

Well, since you can't use them both at the same time you could just equip/de-equip with hotkeys instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom