• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

nib95

Banned
Feel your pain man. I've spent all my playtime today just trying to find ways to max my enchanting level. I'd love to stop at 80 but I need to get to the extra effects perk that requires you get to 100 but going from 80 to 100 is deceptively mundane. I'm convinced they did this to keep one from breaking the game because enchanting is extremely powerful. I'm not sure one can max out their enchanting level even in a single play-through unless they make a concerted effort as I've been doing. It won't come from normal play :(

It's a good thing really as Enchanting is horribly over powered in it's current form. Some people might enjoy that, I really did at first. But then it gets boring being so solid lol. Thankfully choice is the best thing and I've since switched back to my non Echanted Smithed Ebony armour because it looks awesome and still offers some challenge.

I do want to join the Stormcloak rebellion, as I'm always up for fighting against the empire, and rising up from a small faction to rulers of the kingdom. But I just can't shake the fact that I'll be fighting for a bunch of racists. Anyone else get that feeling?

Yo Gotti

Banned
I do want to join the Stormcloak rebellion, as I'm always up for fighting against the empire, and rising up from a small faction to rulers of the kingdom. But I just can't shake the fact that I'll be fighting for a bunch of racists. Anyone else get that feeling?

Yea, also I seem to be learning that Ulfric may be more of a bastard than he seems. Read the book "The Bear of Markarth" if you come across it. It's from the perspective of an Imperial so maybe it's biased.

Either way, screw the Empire. They've been pricks since Morrowind.

theBishop

Banned

Not just racists, but also religious nuts. Yep. It would be more complicated if the Empire wasn't in the pocket of the Cardassians Thalmor.

Zeke

need some help I did a quest way earlier in the game and I can't remember the location of the quest now. I'm going back to loot since I just got the skeleton key. The only real part of the area I remember was there was a fighting pit splashed with blood and a small bookie area in the same room. I can't remember if they were forsworn or those jerk silver hands. Anyone know the location I'm talking about it?
Edit: found it, Faldar's Tooth, was hardly worth the effort and wasted arrows

I found a skeleton in an inlet at the coast near the Morrowind border. Next to it,
five bars of gold

I love that place, so full of random stuff

so i have three women in my house now: the housecarl, my wife and Mjoll
and there's always that rude blacksmith who wanted to marry me..
YesJackNicholson.gif

KorrZ

The Stormcloaks must be crushed for the well-being of all of Tamriel. If they win it only creates a weaker Empire, and a weaker Skyrim just waiting for the Aldmeri Dominion to come and crush. The Thalmor are the real enemies here, so if you're really a true son or daughter of Skyrim...kill every Thalmor you see.

Also..about Ulfric:

During the Diplomatic Immunity main quest you come across a Thalmor Dossier on him, which puts his true motives into question.

I do overall love this game, but I cannot believe how unbelievably dull, simplistic and boring the actual sword play is. Is it really just a one button combat game? There's really no evade, roll, counter etc?

Going through a dungeon last night I almost fell asleep just hacking away at repetitive goons who offered little challenge and to whom I could do very little besides slash repeatedly with the sword. I mean, people complain about QTE's, but Skyrims sword combat almost is a giant one. The hit detection, reactive animations and general feedback is so poor it might as well just be a press A to do next hit type combat. Since its pretty hard to target specific areas of enemies with precision (not sure if that even makes a difference). Just becomes a messy hackathon.

Only thing that destroys an otherwise overall relatively successful game.

agreed.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
QRCOI.jpg

Wish i could take a full map screen. I'm starting to feel a bit burnt out

Yea me too.

I am also starting to feel that most of the quests are just meaningless fetch quests. There are also only very few types of dungeons and enemies, and they are all starting to feel the same to me. The feel of combat is also quite terrible, and doesn't really entice me to play furhter. In this respect, I much prefer Fallout than Skyrim. Maybe I should just stop for a while.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yea, also I seem to be learning that Ulfric may be more of a bastard than he seems. Read the book "The Bear of Markarth" if you come across it. It's from the perspective of an Imperial so maybe it's biased.

Either way, screw the Empire. They've been pricks since Morrowind.
I wish there was a place with all of Skyrim books in online-readable form.

Something like this was done to Oblivion. I wonder if Skyrim already got the same treatment?

Some ebooks and a nice little index with what each book is about wouldn't be bad either.. :D

Edit: Yep, already there: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Bear_of_Markarth

brentech

Something like this was done to Oblivion. I wonder if Skyrim already got the same treatment?

Some ebooks and a nice little index with what each book is about wouldn't be bad either.. :D

Awesome, thanks guys. I feel more validated about my decision. I just wish that now that the war is over in my game, that the Jarl of Whiterun wouldn't keep going on about how we need to end the war. The shit's over!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Awesome, thanks guys. I feel more validated about my decision. I just wish that now that the war is over in my game, that the Jarl of Whiterun wouldn't keep going on about how we need to end the war. The shit's over!
Don't be worried: I too will fight against the Stormcloaks. Separation is never a good thing, as it weakens the entire country/empire/whatever, as stated before.

When I read the Thalmor Dossier on Ulfric (a good read), I knew what I had to do. I just didn't do anything because I knew there were some bugs with the Main quest and the Civil War Quest. Since I finished the main quest, I'll fucking wipe any Stormcloak.

Now, the Thalmors... Those are the ones I *actually* really hate.
I loved doing the Thalmor Embassy quest
. I'll prolly start going berserk on them now.

NBtoaster

Some more levels I tested through the console for Draugr...

Restless Draugr - level 6
Draugr Wight - level 13
Draugr Scourge - level 21
Deathlords - at least 2 types, level 7 and 30.
Death Overlords - level 34 and 45
Dragon Priests
- level 50

If anyone else wants to look, in the console you can click on an enemy and type getlevel to see it.
Taking a break from this before I get too obsessed X_X

Someone linked to the books in ebook form earlier in the thread, I think this is the link:
http://capane.us/2011/11/24/dovahkiin-gutenberg/

GhaleonEB

Question about Markarth's quest, The Forsworn Conspiracy (yes, I'm just now getting around to it).

I'm going around investigating the town, and one of the tasks is to "Find Evidence About Weylin", in the Warrens. When I enter the Warrens, I bribe the guy in front for the key to Weylin's room.

I enter the room, and there's this guy named Dryston sitting in there, and not much else. I check his inventory and he's got a note, called "Dryston's Note" on him. It appears to implicate him with Nepos.

But that doesn't advance the quest any. Dryston won't say anything to me (alive or dead), and there is no quest marker when I'm in the Warrens. But when I exit, there's a marker to go back in. I'm not sure what to do.

Am I missing something, or am I glitched?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Question about Markarth's quest, The Forsworn Conspiracy (yes, I'm just now getting around to it).

I'm going around investigating the town, and one of the tasks is to "Find Evidence About Weylin", in the Warrens. When I enter the Warrens, I bribe the guy in front for the key to Weylin's room.

I enter the room, and there's this guy named Dryston sitting in there, and not much else. I check his inventory and he's got a note, called "Dryston's Note" on him. It appears to implicate him with Nepos.

But that doesn't advance the quest any. Dryston won't say anything to me (alive or dead), and there is no quest marker when I'm in the Warrens. But when I exit, there's a marker to go back in. I'm not sure what to do.

Am I missing something, or am I glitched?

Weird, there was no guy in Welyins room for me.

Try walking around outside a bit after you exit.

I do overall love this game, but I cannot believe how unbelievably dull, simplistic and boring the actual sword play is. Is it really just a one button combat game? There's really no evade, roll, counter etc?

Going through a dungeon last night I almost fell asleep just hacking away at repetitive goons who offered little challenge and to whom I could do very little besides slash repeatedly with the sword. I mean, people complain about QTE's, but Skyrims sword combat almost is a giant one. The hit detection, reactive animations and general feedback is so poor it might as well just be a press A to do next hit type combat. Since its pretty hard to target specific areas of enemies with precision (not sure if that even makes a difference). Just becomes a messy hackathon.

Only thing that destroys an otherwise overall relatively successful game.

I'm quite happy I went with a Mage primary with one handed when needed. This keeps the combat interesting. As you said, the Melee combat is very basic thus I can't imagine playing 100+ hours by just clicking one button.

Even as a Mage, the combat isn't nearly as good as Dragon Age: Origins. Playing a Blood Mage in Origins and having your recruits was amazing.

Everything else though, Skyrim does better by a long shot.

Holy mother of... *
Blackreach
is huge! And awesome! One of the coolest looking environments I've ever seen in a game.

*May be a main quest spoiler.

Mordeccai

Holy shit, I'm having a nerdgasm over here.

When I was like level 5, I found the Labrynthian, saw a frost troll, and bailed the fuck out.

Now that I'm level 36, I have returned to conquer. And my god, this place is beautiful. I've spent probably 15 minutes just exploring the outside, haven't walked inside any doors yet. I just used the Clear Skies shout and holy shit this place is amazing without a snow flurry everywhere.

Going to walk into one of the doors now. I fully expect to be lost in this dungeon for at least an hour.

God damn I love this game.

Holy mother of... *
Blackreach
is huge! And awesome! One of the coolest looking environments I've ever seen in a game.

*May be a main quest spoiler.

I was *this* close to going in today but I told myself that I'll do the damn Mage college before I go.

I've been trying to get to the College for the past 10+ hours now and just now made it. God damn this game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The dogs in this game look so dumb.

I'm happy that one of my biggest complaints about this game is how the dogs look.

GhaleonEB

Weird, there was no guy in Welyins room for me.

Try walking around outside a bit after you exit.

Thanks. I ended up just skipping it and finding that
dude dead in the Shrine of Talos.

Right now all hell is breaking loose and I'm not sure if I did anything to cause it or whether it's a normal course of things.

So, I did all the busy work to break out of the mine ("Surprise everyone, there's a way out right next to my bed! Has been all these years!"), got to the end when the leader gave me the special gear, and then put two arrows in his back when he turned around. Because I don't play favorites.

I head outside and all hell is breaking loose. I help the guards mop up most of the Forsworn, then head back into the mine/prison. I figure a little payback is in order.

No one in there realizes I'm a (former) prisoner, even the person that locked me up. I kill them all, swiftly and silently. Grab some keys, some gold and ore, and head back outside. Note, when I killed the last guard, my bounty was removed, as the last witness was killed.

Now every guard in town is trying to kill me. Is that part of the plot, or because I went on my little revenge spree?

Edit:
I went back a save, and it's the latter. All is well now. So, having broken out of prison with the Forsworn, everyone just forgets that I was a prisoner? That's the end of all this? Seriously?!

Edit 2:
Thonar just came out and forgave me for it all, because I killed the old dude. Okay, that's swell. :lol

can you park your horse somewhere? i got a horse from a quest, and now it follows me everywhere. don't want additional loading stress, the game is fragile enough.

ckohler

Aarrg! My level 28 mage is usually a bad ass but suddenly I'm trying to do the first mission to clear out some bandits for the Imperials and ONE ARROW KILLS ME every time. My health is only 150, so maybe I'm too weak but I cleared out a cave full of necromancers with no problem just five minutes earlier. Now, ONE F'ING ARROW drops me down even when using Ebony Flesh.

Aeana

QRCOI.jpg

Wish i could take a full map screen. I'm starting to feel a bit burnt out

Looks like my map. I've recently adopted a policy of not going into dungeons unless I already have a quest for it, just because I feel like I'll never finish the game otherwise. I've broken my policy a few times, usually because I'm intrigued by what I find outside of the dungeon (enemy speech, book, etc.) but overall I'm doing great and making much better progress. It's just as well, anyway, since I was starting to get disappointed with some of the repetition (particularly anything involving draugr or dwarves, especially after Blackreach in the latter case).

Yea me too.

I am also starting to feel that most of the quests are just meaningless fetch quests. There are also only very few types of dungeons and enemies, and they are all starting to feel the same to me. The feel of combat is also quite terrible, and doesn't really entice me to play furhter. In this respect, I much prefer Fallout than Skyrim. Maybe I should just stop for a while.

Whenever I start to feel this way I'll turn to the main quest. It has a way of...focusing my attention. Do a couple of things and then dive back into exploring.

zethren

Banned
Level 31 Sword and Board Nord.

About 52 hours into the game, Act III of the Main Quest (towards the end of the game).

Loved the game from the very first moments onward, but as with anything that you put 50+ hours into, I'm beginning to the feel the burn. So I decided that I'll just keep exploring the world aimlessly until I'm level 35, then I will complete the main quest and then the Civil War quest. Once I do that, I'll retire the guy and work on my second character after a month or so break for some other games.

I made the 2nd character a few days ago: Khajit named Blackcat. He's going to be super stealthy, with sticky paws and a pension for assassination contracts. I figure he'll be different enough from my Nord to where the burn out won't really be affecting me as much. All in all I still freaking love Skyrim.

I dunno, maybe I'll just say my Nord took an arrow to the knee or something... :/

KingK

Beat the main storyline tonight. Pretty good, although
right after I killed Alduin and he's disintegrating in an epic manor, Kodlak's ghost walks right in front of my face and starts talking about random shit lol.

Also, the entire ending quest area was way to easy. I'm level 41, and I was fighting like 3 Draugr deathlords at once and just standing there taking hits from all of them and it would take a good 10 seconds before they would even get my health halfway down, then I would just fast heal a couple times and wait again, to level up my restoration a couple times. Even the last boss was easy. I have a full set of Daedric Armor and like level 86 Heavy Armor, so my armor rating is like 520 or something, and my weapons are Expert level destruction magic and my 93 damage + 25 fire damage Daedric sword, but I still wasn't expecting the last area to be as easy as it was. Oh well, it was still fun.

zethren

Banned
Mid-late game spoilers ahoy:

I'll also say that I freaking love
Parthurnax (sp?). Just a cool character, I think. Cool design, cool voice, cool backstory (not super unique/original, but whatever). When the Blades wanted me to kill him I just laughed in their face and walked away.

Why oh why did I do the Crimson Ninroot quest.........bleh

What are the best quests to do, I have too many in my log and really only want to do the ones that are fun and of consequence

I have finished the thieves, DB, companions, a few daedric, and the main quest

Deuterium

Folks, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered somewhere in this huge thread...but I have a question:

I have the Black Star. I realize I need to soul trap and kill an NPC to fill it with a grand soul. However, how do you make sure that the soul you trap automatically charges the Black Star...if you already have empty grand sould gems in your inventory??

I can't seem to fill the Black Star? Do I have to remove all the other soul gems from my inventory before I can be assured the soul goes into the Black Star?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Folks, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered somewhere in this huge thread...but I have a question:

I have the Black Star. I realize I need to soul trap and kill an NPC to fill it with a grand soul. However, how do you make sure that the soul you trap automatically charges the Black Star...if you already have empty grand sould gems in your inventory??

I can't seem to fill the Black Star? Do I have to remove all the other soul gems from my inventory before I can be assured the soul goes into the Black Star?

As far as I know, it fills all your empty soul gems before it uses the black star. OR at least, that's the way I got it filled since I got it.

At what point will regular bow and arrow set ups start outclassing bound bow?

I thought I'd be using it in the interim until I got a good bow but it's still wrecking shit. It does about twice the damage my Nightingale Bow does.

What are the best quests to do, I have too many in my log and really only want to do the ones that are fun and of consequence

That quest will forever remain my journal incomplete.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Is a glitch stopping me from finishing the final special job before I become the thieves guild guildmaster? I walked up to delvin and he automatically started telling me about the special job in Solitude, but it doesn't show up in my quest log and he won't talk about it again.

As far as I know, it fills all your empty soul gems before it uses the black star. OR at least, that's the way I got it filled since I got it.

Yeah but only Black Soul Gems can hold human souls, so he would have to have a metric ton of those.

IDK, my Black Star fills whenever I kill a human enemy. I have Soul Trap for 1 second on my weapon if that matters.

Log4Girlz

Had a lot of fun on that one!

can someone tell me how the bow is glowing like that? :O what and how is that? and what are the effects?

It's the conjuration spell 'Bound Bow'. You can get it from one of the mages at the college.

The spell summons the bow and 100 arrows and the damage depends on your conjuration and archery skills. It levels up both of them when you use it too.

dalin80

Banned
You can get a glowing blue transparent bow as a proper item pickup from the drauger ruins, havent been able to upgrade it yet despite a smithing of 80.

okenny

Banned
Finally got my Enchanting to 100 (It only took a whole day ;_;)!

I have a general question about leveling and fortification. You cannot level any skills past 100 but can skills be fortified past 100? For example, if I have a smithing of 100, can I take a blacksmith potion that fortifies my smithing abilities to get extra damage out of a legendary craft. Is this the same as fortifications that are applied to actions rather than the skill. From the previous example, I was fortifying my blacksmithing skills but if the skills applied directly to crafting (say for example: "Smithed weapons are 10% better") then does this stack on the total damage improvement on the weapon even though the most I can get out of my skill is level 100?

I thought it was a temporary glitch at first, but Arcadia seems to be permanently bald now. Maybe I gave her a disease or maybe he's undergoing chemo. whatever it is, it isn't pretty:

okenny

Banned
The Stormcloaks must be crushed for the well-being of all of Tamriel. If they win it only creates a weaker Empire, and a weaker Skyrim just waiting for the Aldmeri Dominion to come and crush. The Thalmor are the real enemies here, so if you're really a true son or daughter of Skyrim...kill every Thalmor you see.

Also..about Ulfric:

During the Diplomatic Immunity main quest you come across a Thalmor Dossier on him, which puts his true motives into question.

You know... you shouldn't trust racists to begin with :/

zethren

Banned
Ulfric is nothing but a whiny bitch with power, but regardless I sided with him because I hate the Thalmor more and felt that through his quests I would get more of an opportunity to take them down. Would love to backstab him and take the throne, if possible...lol

Top Bottom