• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Lakitu

st5fu
Maybe a high level calm spell will work.

Yeah, I was thinking of that but luckily I got out of it. I used the Ice Form shout and froze him, then the whole town went hostile. I surrendered, paid my fine and now he's not hostile anymore. Phew.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The ultra whiny guy with the coffin outside Whiterun...
Can I kill him?? Anyway at all?? He just takes a knee and won't die... but I would really like to kill him. I lied to the guard about him smuggling weapons in the coffin, and the guard said he would take him to jail... but nothing ever came of it. But this guy is definitely my contender for biggest bitch in a video game ever. I would very much like to end him if possible.

Kikarian

Just finished the Thieves Guild (I Think).
I did the Nightingale quest, to go to the twilight sector. After finishing that (Which took a while on master), I became a Nightingale agent. Allowing me to choose 3 styles. I chose the shadow, crescent moon one. But way before this, when you go into the Nightingale hall. Brynjolf tells you that you are to be the Guild master and when you go back to the Ragged Flagon, we will have a ceremony.

So, like mentioned I have completed the Nightingale quest and go back to the thieves guild. Only to see people treating me normally, no ceremony or anything. So, I'm guessing I have finished all thieves guild quests and Brynjolf lied.
So, have I done all the quests? :p

Korosenai

The ultra whiny guy with the coffin outside Whiterun...
Can I kill him?? Anyway at all?? He just takes a knee and won't die... but I would really like to kill him. I lied to the guard about him smuggling weapons in the coffin, and the guard said he would take him to jail... but nothing ever came of it. But this guy is definitely my contender for biggest bitch in a video game ever. I would very much like to end him if possible.

lolwat?

If you're talking about Cicero, that's how you get into the dark brotherhood.

scy

It's a totally optional quest that has no bearing on the
DB
as far as I know.

It changes a bit of dialogue during it but, yeah, the questline itself remains untouched. Though,
Cicero does some murdering of those involved in that quest if you turn him in

It changes a bit of dialogue during it but, yeah, the questline itself remains untouched. Though,
Cicero does some murdering of those involved in that quest if you turn him in

Nice. I missed this entirely on my first time through. I was surprised when a friend said you could encounter him prior.

I did the Nightingale quest, to go to the twilight sector. After finishing that (Which took a while on master), I became a Nightingale agent. Allowing me to choose 3 styles. I chose the shadow, crescent moon one. But way before this, when you go into the Nightingale hall. Brynjolf tells you that you are to be the Guild master and when you go back to the Ragged Flagon, we will have a ceremony.

So, like mentioned I have completed the Nightingale quest and go back to the thieves guild. Only to see people treating me normally, no ceremony or anything. So, I'm guessing I have finished all thieves guild quests and Brynjolf lied.

There is an additional grindy quest in addition to the story based thieves guild quests. You have to carry out the random missions that Vex and Devlin give you.
You're trying to bring the thieves guild back to prominence as they say. Do enough missions for one hold and you'll be given a special mission. Without giving you too many details, you can waste a lot of time on this one, but you can minimize that. The Elder Scrolls wiki should have the details if you want to look it up. It's worth it to avoid wasting too much time imo.

Crazylegs

Alright spoilers and stuff. but I think I may have just ruined the game for myself. :(

I just got the elder scroll, thought, oh I'll go and learn Dragon Rend, that probably won't be too near the final battle, then I'll go and do some other stuff.

I'm at about level 16.

All of a sudden a wild Alduin appears. Now I'm supposed to fight him. It's ludicrously difficult. Clearly I'm not at that level yet.

But I don't want to leave and play other side quests, because that feels too pointless and grindy now.

Bleh. Nerd world problems. I was really enjoying it up to now. Wasn't going crazy on side quests, but I wasn't ignoring them either. Feels like I'm being punished for following the narrative of the game instead of ignoring it.

Am I being crazy for going towards the Alduin battle at the thoat of the world at level 16? Have I blasted through the main quest too quickly?

It depends.
I did it at Level 16 and, while it was tough, it was not impossible. But it all depends on your class, skills, etc. I just got into a groove where I'd do Dragonrend, then fire a bunch of steel arrows, take damage, jump behind a rock, heal myself, then repeat... Your biggest issues here are whether you have enough Health and whether you can easily heal yourself (Dark Elf here with Heal magic and lots of Magicka). YMMV

Kikarian

There is an additional grindy quest in addition to the story based thieves guild quests. You have to carry out the random missions that Vex and Devlin give you.
You're trying to bring the thieves guild back to prominence as they say. Do enough missions for one hold and you'll be given a special mission. Without giving you too many details, you can waste a lot of time on this one, but you can minimize that. The Elder Scrolls wiki should have the details if you want to look it up. It's worth it to avoid wasting too much time imo.
Okay. So I'll just some little missions within the Thieves Guild then. Thanks.

Anteater

Any word on when the patch fix is supposed to hit this week? I want to get back into the game!

I think they said PC patch will hit first and then the 360 and ps3 version later on in the week, so I guess it will take at least a few days, I'm hoping it comes earlier.

Dave Long

Banned
I know they want to get the patches right, but this busted resistances thing is bullshit. It's a fundamental part of the game. It should've been fixed last week.

Valygar

I'm going to elaborate a bit more. Once you do 5 random quests in a city, you get a specific-normal mission in that city. Once you get all of them (I think 3, Riften does not count), you will get your ceremony. I recommend to do it, the "bonus missions" are nice, and you will earn interesting things in the process!

Guanoape

Neo Member
I think I'm done with the game for now. Finished all major questlines (MQ/guilds/civil war) and collected about half of the
daedric artifacts/dragon priest masks
after 61 hours. The overall experience was fantastic, but at times it feels like the game resorts to the principle of "go to place x, and retrieve/kill x" too much, instead of offering more varied and original quests. This is especially true for [minor Thieves/DB spoilers]
the Thieves/DB quests, which, compared to Oblivion's, were straightforward as hell. I expected elaborate stealth missions for the Thieves and original assassination plots for the DB. What I got instead were missions that didn't require any special action whatsoever. I simply barged into every dungeon/house and killed everyone with my Dremora friends.
Like I said though, it's an amazing game, and definitely a strong contender for my GOTY.

scy

I'm going to elaborate a bit more. Once you do 5 random quests in a city, you get a specific-normal mission in that city. Once you get all of them (I think 3, Riften does not count), you will get your ceremony. I recommend to do it, the "bonus missions" are nice, and you will earn interesting things in the process!

It should be four:
Solitude, Markarth, Whiterun, Windhelm; Riften has the random quests but, yeah, doesn't count

kodt

Banned
Okay. So I'll just some little missions within the Thieves Guild then. Thanks.

Basically you only need to worry about Whiterun, Wildhelm, Solitude, and Markarth for the random quests, you have to do 5 random thieves quests in a city and then you will get a special quest for that city. If you get a random quest in an other city or a city you have already finished then I would just tell Vex or Davin that you want to quit the job and get another one, just keep doing this until you get a quest in the city you want.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think they said PC patch will hit first and then the 360 and ps3 version later on in the week, so I guess it will take at least a few days, I'm hoping it comes earlier.

Wait, what patch? Do we have some details or is it just a fix to get back our magic resistance?

Kikarian

:0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1bx4ElIXo&feature=channel_video_title Just done this, infinite gold!

Basically you only need to worry about Whiterun, Wildhelm, Solitude, and Markarth for the random quests, you have to do 5 random thieves quests in a city and then you will get a special quest for that city. If you get a random quest in an other city or a city you have already finished then I would just tell Vex or Davin that you want to quit the job and get another one, just keep doing this until you get a quest in the city you want.
I understand now. Thanks!

Dreaver

So, two pretty important quests are bugged and I am fucked I think.

- Disrupt the Skooma Operations in the cave from the guy in Riften, I've been there before I had the quest and I cleared it out.. Now I can't clear it obviously... so I can't complete it and I will never be enable to buy a house there :\
- Blood on the Ice quest, I finished the first part of the quest. Now
another murder has happened, and I have to talk to the mage (Wuurteth or so) again... He gives me the follow-up however the 'patrol the stone quarters' objective is listened as 'completed' instanly.. When I go to Calixto in the murder house I can't talk/kill him. He will attack me but I can not kill him, he'll just be unconscious :\

I'm not someone who whines fast about bugs... but this is just fucking stupid. If anyone knows a solution I'd be glad to hear it.

E: Console version, so no PC commands sadly...

Playing with my mage character. Is there any advantages to using enchanted clothing, rather than say Light Armour, for a mage? Outside of putting enough points into Alteration to increase the armour rating of protection spells. It'd take 5 points minimum to get the most protection and that's not including points spent to decrease spell costs. I feel I'd be as well putting those into an Armour skill and boosting my persistant protection.

Dartastic

So being torturers and murderers is okay as long as they're not racist? Because compared to what the empire does, I can put up with a little racism. Also, the people in charge of the Stormcloaks don't seem to be racist if you talk to them about it. It's just some of the rabble.
I admittedly haven't researched much of what the empire does yet. Goddamnit. I don't really wanna pick either side now. =(

If you kill someone vital to a quest prior to obtaining the questline, does it notify you?

I'm a bit worried that I've lost a quest because I killed (Forsworn & Markarth spoilers)
Madanach and co in the cave after breaking out of prison, as part of a bounty

Is the issue with defense bonuses and resistances still there? Is there any fix?

I made a Nord and I stopped playing because I wanted to see if it would get fixed or not :/

I want to make multiple complete sets of armor, each of which maximise my enchanting/smithing/alchemy/bartering/etc abilities (for example, one set would have an "increase smithing" enchant on every piece).

However, I was wondering if it makes any difference how good the armor is. Do you get stronger enchants on better armor, or am I best of just making and using some crappy leather armor sets?

I admittedly haven't researched much of what the empire does yet. Goddamnit. I don't really wanna pick either side now. =(

Some of these Empire "arguments" are a joke (granted this is a game, so let's not take any of it too seriously :p). Consider this: the Empire allows the Thalmor essentially free reign with what is practically their version of the Inquisition. They literally have (or would seek to have) inquisitors installed throughout Skyrim (completely foreign territory) that enforce religious protocol that they deem fit (as established with their little treaty). Further they whisk away supporters in what are essentially black bag tactics, off to be tortured and murdered or held indefinitely. This is glossed over frequently enough. Skyrim wouldn't be the only province to reject the Empire.

I want to make multiple complete sets of armor, each of which maximise my enchanting/smithing/alchemy/bartering/etc abilities (for example, one set would have an "increase smithing" enchant on every piece).

However, I was wondering if it makes any difference how good the armor is. Do you get stronger enchants on better armor, or am I best of just making and using some crappy leather armor sets?

Armor quality does not affect it.

Hopefully they don't fuck this game up in an attempt to "balance" it through patches.

scy

The quality of the item Enchanted doesn't matter.

Worth noting, however, that you can't get Enchant Smithing on every piece. Should be Rings, Necklace, Arms, and Chest; Alchemy will be Rings, Necklace, Arms, and Helm. And there's no Enchanting Enchant.

Also, I think the Bartering Enchant is Neck only, though there's unique equipment with it too for other slots (
Thief Guild Hood and all subsequent upgrades to it, Jester and Cicero's Clothes
).

The quality of the item Enchanted doesn't matter.

Worth noting, however, that you can't get Enchant Smithing on every piece. Should be Rings, Necklace, Arms, and Chest; Alchemy will be Rings, Necklace, Arms, and Helm. And there's no Enchanting Enchant.

Also, I think the Bartering Enchant is Neck only.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

scy

Okay thanks. By 'down' what do you mean? :p

"Town", presumably. There's no real trick. Enchanting is leveled on a per Enchant done basis so ... just Enchant a lot. Use whichever Enchant gives you the highest value for reselling. Purchasing filled Soul Gems is faster than hunting your own.

Thanks, for some reason I can't pinpoint him on the map.

Edit:Still can't find him, I killed the horse, didn't seem to be that important anyway.

Yeah, it really isn't. I believe if you do an extra step then they award you the deed to that horse. My companion killed my horse anyway hahaha

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Some of these Empire "arguments" are a joke (granted this is a game, so let's not take any of it too seriously :p). Consider this: the Empire allows the Thalmor essentially free reign with what is practically their version of the Inquisition. They literally have (or would seek to have) inquisitors installed throughout Skyrim (completely foreign territory) that enforce religious protocol that they deem fit (as established with their little treaty). Further they whisk away supporters in what are essentially black bag tactics, off to be tortured and murdered or held indefinitely. This is glossed over frequently enough. Skyrim wouldn't be the only province to reject the Empire.
Though, at least to my understanding, the Empire only allows this as a condition of the continued peace between themselves and the Dominion. They are just really desperate to not set off another war which they don't think they're in any shape to fight, and are buying time until they're fully prepared.

Other than that, the Empire seemed like a much better entity than the Stormcloaks, who are essentially the game's equivalent of Nazis.

As somebody who, in real life politics
is fairly conservative
, I've found myself naturally leaning towards Skyrim. The Empire oughta let the Nords worship who they want.

Though, at least to my understanding, the Empire only allows this as a condition of the continued peace between themselves and the Dominion. They are just really desperate to not set off another war which they don't think they're in any shape to fight, and are buying time until they're fully prepared.

Other than that, the Empire seemed like a much better entity than the Stormcloaks, who are essentially the game's equivalent of Nazis.

The Empire's position on this is tantamount to Dred Scott. Allowing something far worse in hopes that it prevents a civil war, when, in fact, it will lead directly to it!

FOR SKYRIM! FOR TALOS!

GhaleonEB

It's an interesting question, which side to choose. The racist locals, or the foreign occupation. I chose the former (truthfully, before I really grasped what they were all about - I just didn't like how snotty the Imperial soldiers treated me on the road) but it's not a black/white, good guys/bad guys decision. I applaud Bethesda for that.

(I'd still take the Stormcloaks over the Empire, knowing then what I know now.)

It's an interesting question, which side to choose. The racist locals, or the foreign occupation. I chose the former (truthfully, before I really grasped what they were all about - I just didn't like how snotty the Imperial soldiers treated me on the road) but it's not a black/white, good guys/bad guys decision. I applaud Bethesda for that.

Aye -- New Vegas did a good job at making most factions grey. Compared to Fallout 3, which was pretty cut and dry who the good and bad guys were.

My opinion: The Stormcloaks need to man up, once we kick the Thalmor out they'll be able to worship who they please. All this "SKYRIM FOR THE NORDS"-bullcrap almost makes me wish the Aldmeri would conquer them, just to teach 'em a lesson. :lol

The Empire just did what they had to do to survive. I doubt the Imperials liked giving up Talos worship either: there's probably plenty of people still worshipping him in Cyrodiil, too. The Empire just doesn't want to plunge head-first into another war without being prepared. Skyrim's been a part of the Empire for more than a thousand years, they practically founded it, after all. The Empire didn't just waltz in one day and declared they owned the land, they weren't even a 'foreign occupier' at all until Ulfric decided he wanted to sit on the throne and murder the High King. That's what brought Tullius and the Legion there: before, Skyrim was perfectly left alone to do what they wanted for the most part, because they practically founded the Empire in the first place. All these Stormcloaks crying for independence are a bunch of babies who have the foresight of a teaspoon.

I applaud Beth for making it more than just black and white, though. But in the grand scheme of things, I've little doubt that in the canon leading up to the next TES game we'll see this tiny blurb where the Stormcloak rebellion was quickly quelled as the Empire prepared for war against the Elves.

Lakitu

st5fu
FFS. Lydia won't exit Shalidor's Maze. She's just stuck there. I tell her to open the door to Skyrim and she says 'can't do that, sorry.' It wouldn't be such a problem but I'm not allowed to use any companions now even though I asked her to leave. I have no idea what to do now.

Top Bottom