• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Bunch of YouTubers/Streamers Videos of the First 6 Chapters

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Linkura

Watching one of the streams now. The voice acting is fucking garbage holy shit. Also my husband mistook Seb for an annoying streamer, his quips are so bad.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I like the gameplay but a lot of the UI just seems too goofy and colorful compared to the original.

I always hate this kind of western game UI design, it's just too cartoon and kills a lot of the atmosphere for no good reason.

Speaking of atmosphere....the ''open world'' American town seems to have none, seriously what the fuck happened to the art team???

Did they fired the entire art team from the first game?

You can't just upgrade the graphics and then completely downgrade the art direction, that's not how ''visuals'' work.

kodecraft

I like the gameplay but a lot of the UI just seems too goofy and colorful compared to the original.

I always hate this kind of western game UI design, it's just too cartoon and kills a lot of the atmosphere for no good reason.

Speaking of atmosphere....the ''open world'' American town seems to have none, seriously what the fuck happened to the art team???

Did they fired the entire art team from the first game?

Modern accessibility baby, regarding the UI. As an aspiring UX designer the approach is text book. Both Tomb Raider(2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider use a similar game UI.

I think the underlying theme for TEW2 was to make it more westernized, even though talented, the director Johanas probably was helmed for this very reason. So some of the art direction matches the setting. Nothing too crazy, esthetics needed to be clean and visually digestible

Modern accessibility baby, regarding the UI. As an aspiring UX designer the approach is text book. Both Tomb Raider(2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider use a similar game UI.

I think the underlying theme for TEW2 was to make it more westernized, even though talented, the director Johanas probably was helmed for this very reason. So some of the art direction matches the setting. Nothing too crazy, esthetics needed to be clean and visually digestible

But why does it have to be all colorful and bright?

Why are these new comers treated like a bunch of fucking babies? What kind of ''art'' design is this?

They might as well give all the monsters goofy & less scary design and make them all orange.

Just look at the top left of the screen, jesus.

TEW1

resevil5.jpg

TEW2

WLEcpl1.png

Fuck atmosphere and tension, let's have more color! We need happy colors to welcome to the new gamers! yay!

9HvQZEL.png

So tasty! So accessible! So digestible!

kodecraft

But why does it have to be all colorful and bright?

Why are these new comers treated like a bunch of fucking babies? What kind of ''art'' design is this?

They might as well give all the monsters goofy & less scary design and make them all orange.

Just look at the top left of the screen, jesus.

TEW1

resevil5.jpg

TEW2

WLEcpl1.png

Fuck atmosphere and tension, let's have more color! We need happy colors to welcome to the new gamers! yay!

9HvQZEL.png

I feel you, however it's games are a business too, you want the UI to jump out and be an easy read by majority. That includes text and visual hierarchy. This design influence has really become standardized thanks to the smart phone/apps era. This translates into alot of UI.

Not reinventing the wheel so to speak, if it ain't broke don't break it so to speak.

Focused group tested. The shareholders are satisfied.

I feel you, however it's games are a business too, you want the UI to jump out and be an easy read by majority. That includes text and visual hierarchy. This design influence has really become standardized thanks to the smart phone/apps era. This translates into alot of UI.

Not reinventing the wheel so to speak, if it ain't broke don't break it so to speak.

Focused group tested. The shareholders are satisfied.

I know what you mean, basically UI design has become more like signboard design rather than art design, it all about big flashy easy-to-read idiot proof colors.

*Sigh* This makes me value the first Evil Within game a lot more, it has a dark ''atmospheric'' UI that fits perfectly into the game's style and universe. Same goes to games like Resident Evil 4 and 7, the Japanese really did a great job on the UI design and I really appreciate it.

The UI is a part of the atmosphere in my opinion, bad UI could ruin a game's tension and sometimes even gameplay.

kodecraft

I know what you mean, basically UI design has become more like signboard design rather than art design, it all about big flashy easy-to-read idiot proof colors.

*Sigh* This makes me value the first Evil Within game a lot more, it has a dark ''atmospheric'' UI that fits perfectly into the game's style and universe. Same goes to games like Resident Evil 4 and 7, the Japanese really did a great job on the UI design and I really appreciate it.

The UI is a part of the atmosphere in my opinion, bad UI could ruin a game's tension and sometimes even gameplay.

I agree, but I like the UI here too. The con about the UI here is that it breaks immersion, we can agree to that. But after you play the game awhile you'll probably forget about the UI.

I liked that you pointed it out though, when TEW2 was first shown from a game play standpoint, the first thing I noticed was the UI.

Dusk Golem

rtcn63

Watching Eurogamer's Ian Igton play TEW2 is excruciating. He played like four hours of the original, and did nothing but complain, even though it was partly his own fault for never catching onto the mechanics. With TEW2, he is somehow baffled at how to "interact" with the echos in the open world, even though he spent the first hour doing exactly that but with other objects. He even walks through the echos and misses the "interact" marker (the magnifying glass). And with regards to combat, he once again tries to play the game his way (as in, the way non-Resident Evil TPS games tend to). As mentioned in the first few sentences, he's not new to the series.

And I like Ian. But I'd rather watch Aiofe/Chris/Johnny play TEW2 from now on.

-MD-

Watching Eurogame's Ian Igton play TEW2 is excruciating. He played like four hours of the original, and did nothing but complain, even though it was partly his own fault for never catching onto the mechanics. With TEW2, he is somehow baffled at how to "interact" with the echos in the open world, even though he spent the first hour doing exactly that but with other objects. He even walks through the echos and misses the "interact" marker (the magnifying glass). And with regards to combat, he once again tries to play the game his way as opposed to using an actual thought.

And I like Ian. I'd rather watch Aiofe/Chris/Johnny play TEW2 from now on.

Sounds familiar.

I recall watching that Patrick Klepick guy or whatever the fuck his name is play the first game and he struggled the entire time, notifications would pop up telling him what to do and he would still act lost, he ended up giving the game a 2/5.

rtcn63

Sounds familiar.

I recall watching that Patrick Klepick guy or whatever the fuck his name is play the first game and he struggled the entire time, notifications would pop up telling him what to do and he would still act lost, he ended up giving the game a 2/5.

Luckily, the person who reviewed the original TEW on Eurogamer wasn't Ian, and IIRC gave it a pretty fair score. Hoping it isn't him either this time.

Tarrin

Game looks good. The voice acting.. is not so good. Course it wasn't good in the original, but it had charm.

Seems like it runs better then TEW1 did on PS4. Bodes well.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I watched a bit of footage from streams today and i gotta say, i disappointed with the environments so far. They look so generic and bland.

I watched a bit of footage from streams today and i gotta say, i disappointed with the environments so far. They look so generic and bland.

I am disappointed with pretty much everything.

Art design, atmosphere, tension, character, environment and the sheer amount of The Last of Us inspired designs, even the enemies makes a Clicker-like noise when you try to stealth kill. There's even a Fallout 4 like dialogue camera when you talk to NPC characters, seriously what the hell is this?

So far TEW2 feels like a generic zombie game to me, it's a far cry compare to the first Evil Within. I've never lost hype this fast in my life, what a fucking disappointment.

rtcn63

But why does it have to be all colorful and bright

I miss the art style of the original, but the new one isn't too bad. It's like Mikami is trying to go back in time and make a proper RE4:

source.gif

But I do agree that I don't want the game to be TLoU. And I beat and enjoyed TLoU, but the gameplay and enviroments were just alright. Nothing I've ever wanted to go back to for a second time.

EDIT: You know what TEW2 is starting to remind me of? DmC as compared to the earlier Devil May Cry games. And I don't mean that in a good way. (I've beaten DmC a few times too)

antitrop

Sounds familiar.

I remember him asking how you're supposed to use the matches on Twitter, so I answered him, and he could just not understand that they were not the same as Resident Evil Remake.

He also blamed the game for not tutorializing their use properly, so I sent him a screenshot of the game telling you exactly what you're supposed to do with the matches.

This gif alone has way more atmospheric and inspired designs than anything I have ever seen in Evil Within 2 so far.

Everything in this gif fits so well together, it looks like a moving painting. The lighting, texture, color and gameplay all match perfectly. Even the enemy design is on spot, the way they walk towards you is just unsettling.

This art of ''blending style, atmosphere and gameplay visually'' is something I rarely see in a western game, western devs just don't seem to get it. They always want colorful immersion breaking designs and big juicy button prompts.

The best effort I've seen in a western game is the Dead Space series and Journey, they did a great job making player's interaction look and feel real.

Dusk Golem

rtcn63

This gif alone has way more atmospheric and inspired designs than anything I have ever seen in Evil Within 2 so far.

Everything in this gif fits so well together, it looks like a moving painting. The lighting, texture, color and gameplay all match perfectly.

Not even the
Stefano
sections? I'm hoping that it's just the open-world areas that look generic, with some of the more main/side-mission environments being more reminiscent of the original. If just a bit.

This art of ''blending style, atmosphere and gameplay visually'' is something I rarely see in a western game, western devs just don't seem to get it. They always want colorful immersion breaking designs and big juicy button prompts.

The original TEW did look more like a Japanese manga and TEW2 a Western comic. Ignoring the noir elements.

Dusk Golem

Evil Within 2.

I don't want to post screens since they're spoilers, but Chapter 5 is the chapter that takes place in the Town Hall that has a deeper gothic style, Chapter 6 looks like a location from the original TEW2 and begins to get infested with the goop as the setting literally comes to life to start attacking you. And before previews cut off in Chapter 7 is before the Theater.

Ah, I see.

I guess I will have to give it a look then.

Linkura

Yeah, another Last of Us clone isn't what I wanted... Granted, I've not watched all of the 6 chapters yet. Working my way through it. But I share the sentiment of those who said another TLOU wasn't what they were looking for.

tesqui

I'm not gonna watch any of these streams cause I wanna go full blackout. The impressions in here don't sound great though. It doesn't sound like a better more refined Evil Within, but something different but also bad? Granted all of these impressions are purely through watching someone else play a game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's so jarring how Sebastian has such impressive facial wrinkling while Kidman looks like a plastic doll that has zero wrinkles.

-MD-

I remember him asking how you're supposed to use the matches on Twitter, so I answered him, and he could just not understand that they were not the same as Resident Evil Remake.

He also blamed the game for not tutorializing their use properly, so I sent him a screenshot of the game telling you exactly what you're supposed to do with the matches.

This is exactly what I was referring to and exactly how I remember it, involving the matches.

Even though it popped up and filled the entire screen telling you how to use matches he still managed to struggle and blame the game, it was infuriating, especially after he gave it such a low score.

kromeo

I'm not gonna watch any of these streams cause I wanna go full blackout. The impressions in here don't sound great though. It doesn't sound like a better more refined Evil Within, but something different but also bad? Granted all of these impressions are purely through watching someone else play a game.

It's been clear for a long time they were going for a cleaner, more realistic art direction in the sequel, I assume that's what people are complaining about. Unless the last of us references are because there's more stealth, because that would be a good thing for me

Has anyone commented on the soundtrack? That was one of the best things about the first game

Top Bottom