• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2

The Lamp

One of the worst survival horror games I've ever played. There's near zero atmosphere because of several reasons. Firstly, the nonsensical setting, which works neither as zombie outbreak nor Silent Hill ripoff - plus the cringey (constant) dialogue is a total turnoff. There's practically no tension in game design, because they copied a bunch of cheap open world tropes (instead of making careful levels like classic survival horror,). I.e. fetch quests, too much looting, arbitrary map placements, map icon hunting instead of real exploring/puzzle solving. Also, the art direction is bland and uninteresting.

I'm getting easily nervous in horror games if they are done at least somewhat competent, but in this one not even jump scares had any effect. Nothing feels like it matters.

Thank you.

The game is atrocious. The controls and combat are janky as well. The design feels haphazard and like a cheap TLOU.

I'm sure it does not top Silent Hill 2, because it doesn't even top TEW1

MikeBison

One thing I really enjoy, among others, about Evil within 2, is the variety of locations. Despite taking place in the town of Union, some of the dream like sequences take you to some super cool places.

Open world design creates "been there already" moments when you have get round to doing story quests.

It's an action horror game with a heavier slant on the action.

Plus the writing seems bad. Either bad translation or something.

Thank you.

The game is atrocious. The controls and combat are janky as well. The design feels haphazard and like a cheap TLOU.

I'm sure it does not top Silent Hill 2, because it doesn't even top TEW1

I do not agree on the controls and combat, but boy is this game disappointing.
There is no atmosphere at all, it's just a mix of games smashed together (Silent Hill, The Last of Us, ...)

Also, EW1 is one of my favorites games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree and I think I said something similar at the time of release and got call crazy
But to be fair there hasn't been a decent horror since Team Silent split.
A lot of focus on first person horrors which will never touch something like SH2 or REmake.
you could say if you want and are not that impressed with TEW, that's its because it's the only one of its kind now and that's why it stands out so much.
But RE4 meets SH is definitely how I'd describe it.

TannerDemoz

Writing is terrible, but I don't care because I really had a lot of fun playing it. Combat system was great and even though the game did feel really jerky at times, I thought the first 3-4 hours in the game were Res 4.

ruvikx

Banned
Too much stealth, i.e. in fact a ridiculous amount of stealth which ruined the game for me. That and the fact the encounter design is built around a "gotcha!" system in which the game throws events/monsters at the player without the player knowing 'what' to upgrade beforehand or which ammunition works. That means sections have to replayed in order to be done with the correct toolset. It sucks. This is only a problem because there's far too much junk in terms of upgrades. For example I found the sniper rifle early, read the description of the weapon given by the game which described it as powerful, so I upgraded it and subsequently ruined my playthrough because it's useless against practically every enemy.

On the plus side, "something something Juli Kidman". And her jeans.

Chabbles

The Dead Space 1/2, Alien Isolation, The Suffering 1, Siren 1, Resi 7, Outlast, The Thing, Manhunt are all better. The first half of TEW2 is brilliant though, but when it tightens up and becomes way more linear in the latter half it messed up the flow completely, TEW1 had the same issue of completely messing up the flow and feel as the game progressed. Its almost like they started production of these games with one team, then stopped production for afew year and returned with a different vision and stuck it all together.

The Shepard

I'd say the resident evil remake which came out the year after silent hill 2. Also Remake is far more replayable and i play it at least once a year. I do have evil within 2 in my backlog. Hope its better than the first which was good but flawed. Remembering Neil druckmans tweet about how much he enjoyed it got me to buy it when it was on sale last.

-MD-

I'm replaying The Evil Within right now for the first time in a couple years and it's really just confirming what I was feeling while playing through TEW2 a few months ago, the first game is better in nearly every way.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I'm replaying The Evil Within right now for the first time in a couple years and it's really just confirming what I was feeling while playing through TEW2 a few months ago, the first game is better in nearly every way.

Here's another example of bad game design: in chapter 7 or so after the game actively encouraged the player to 'explore' in the earlier sections, we face an open hub in which there are a couple of train carriages in one corner of the map. What's in them? A couple of "very hard to kill" monsters & sweet f-all else, i.e. actually exploring in that case was totally detrimental. So reload; avoid that part of the map & keep the ammo supply. Voilà, bad game design.

OrionNebula

I really enjoyed TEW2.
Already finished it about 6-7 times. Chapter 3-4 are really nice. I usually do everything in those chapters in 1 shot without any saving and I find it quite nice and challenging.

But one chapter in particular is really garbage, though.

There’s also a problem with shooting at close distance where shots go right through enemies which is annoying as hell

I tried going back to TEW1 after (which I also finished many times) and didn’t enjoy it at all for some reason and I had a real hard time with control (never happened before I played TEW2, surprisingly).

To say it’s best thing in almost 20 years of horror gaming in quite the joke, though, if you ask me.
There’s no TEW2 without TLOU (at least mechanic/gameplay wise, storytelling wise, character wise, enemy wise).

dead space says hello

You can’t climb on cars in Dead Space, though

Last edited:

JRW

Played through EW2 twice and thought it was great, The 2nd playthrough was after I had upgraded my PC and the first person mode had been patched in so it was a slightly different experience, I went from running it at the 30fps lock on old PC build to a solid 60fps on Ultra settings.

Dead Space 1 & 2 are still my all time favs in the genre.

The game is horrible and possibly my most disappointing game this gen. I loved the first one and all I wanted was the sequel to have more modern graphics , since it isn’t a cross/gen title. Instead we got a weird mix of the worst parts of the last of us with a few elements of the first game but none of the personality or sheer feeling of dread the first one had. The hud/open world is terrible, the bosses uninteresting and the regular enemies TLOU rejects. The story is silly and melodramatic and the ending bleh.

Top Bottom