• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 fps Metroid [HELPFUL MOD EDIT] is not Samus Returns

SpokkX

.. so I have been eagerly awaiting Samus Returns (even though i hated mercury steams old games) and have avoided reading about it or looking at videos

Just got it on 3DS and played an hour and one thing IMMEDIATELY stood out

The game is 30fps!
Feels really sluggish as a result (not terrible but way worse than all other metroids)

Anyone else have a hard time with this?

EDIT: with regards to the mod edit i guess it should have said "the first 30fps MAINLINE Metroid"

Anyway it is not a dealbreaker - game is great so far - could have been better though

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I doubt this is the first 30 fps metroid.

seriously? That's really bad... thanks a lot mercury steam... why would you choose 2.5D on 3ds if you can't run it at 60 fps really?

i'll still play it and i'm sure it's great! But man, what a disappointement

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Didn't cross my mind for even a second. Categorical non issue, feels just fine.

On New 3DS at least.

jett

D-Member
Hunters was 30fps

And the Metroid of game of the generation, Federation Force.

seriously? That's really bad... thanks a lot mercury steam... why would you choose 2.5D on 3ds if you can't run it at 60 fps really?

They're using their Castlevania: Mirror of Fate engine. It's not surprising and it isn't new news either to be honest.

Robin64

It may be 30fps, but it feels smooth, as if Samus's movements underneath are updating 60 times a second. Plus the framepacing is good and it doesn't drop from its 30 target, either.

It's not like something like Sonic Generations on 3DS which is both 30fps and unresponsive as a result.

Is 60fps possible on GBA? or NES? Genuinely asking

You'd be hard pressed to find stuff on those that wasn't 60fps.

Eugh. I just finished the game and didn't actually pay attention to it being 30 fps. Weird. Super slowdown during the elevators though, but that doesn't really affect anything I guess.

Kurdel

Banned
My biggest pet peeve is people who think 30fps is a problem.

Your eyes get used to it after like 10 seconds, just play the game instead of complaining.

/oldmanyellsatcloud

Lol MercurySteam did an amazing job with this game, some of you seem unwilling to give them a chance.

And the Metroid of game of the generation, Federation Force.

They're using their Castlevania engine. It's not surprising and it isn't new news either to be honest.

i would have guessed since nitnendo was behind there would be an upgrade, i didn't watched anything of the game, guess i should have (not that it would have prevented me from buying it)

Lol MercurySteam did an amazing job with this game, some of you seem unwilling to give them a chance.

i just said "i'm sure it's great", how am i not giving it a chance?

big_z

There are some frame drops but the game does not feel sluggish in the slightest. The game moves quick and the controls are very responsive.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Such an odd thing to base a purchase on for a sidescroller.

Probably done so they could display the game well in 3D mode?

Mafro

People clamouring for another 2D Metroid, we finally get one after 13 long years and now so many not buying it (or claiming they're not, hmmm...) because of the amiibos and frame rate. If this is the last one for a while again then they can't complain.

Fularu

Banned
Is 60fps possible on GBA? or NES? Genuinely asking
No, the GBA (just like the gb and gbc) screen had a 59.7 mhz refresh rate, it wasn't capable of displaying 60 frames per second. It was close enough but no different than say, MK8 wiiU where some seconds had 59 fps and others felt 60

Fularu

Banned
People clamouring for another 2D Metroid, we finally get one after 13 long years and now so many not buying it (or claiming they're not, hmmm...) because of the amiibos and frame rate. If this is the last one for a while again then they can't complain.
Metroid fans are batshit insane and absolutely impossible to please

hotcyder

bfdidc.gif

I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones that can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

And yes, I've seen that bouncing cube gif. Can't see any difference.

Duffk1ng

what's with all the people in here pretending that this is news to them so that they can give their hot take anyway

Top Bottom