• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

kqahw.jpg

jey_16

Banned
front and rear wing end plates are red. Apart from that....looks like last years car with a bump which I guess isn't a bad thing from red bull's perspective

kharma45

So RBR have the new nose too then.

Wonder if McLaren have pulled off a masterstroke or are going to be last year's Ferrari this year.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Uglier than the ferrari. Thats right, I said it.

Indeed, but still not as bad as the Sauber, at least they have that.

operon

IF newey is gone with the duck nose has everyone missed a trick, or is Mclaren going to be catching up most of the season again

operon

Edmond Dantès;34883488 said:
They're on par with each other and most likely will be in terms of competitiveness.

If their good in the sack who cares, we just need to keep the lights of at the night races

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;34883443 said:
The ridges are reminiscent of the RB5.

http://i.minus.com/iAESSuK2smtgq.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I had to look at that picture for 10 minutes before I saw a car. Like those pictures of something amazing that you don't notice because there's a chick with massive tits in the background.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;34883519 said:
I'd wait until the studio shots before we right off the RB8 as aesthetically unappealing.

i dont know why people are complaining, i love how it looks.

i especially love those bull bumps again

Adamm

Apparently sauber have a similar vent on the other side of the 'bump' facing towards the driver. Although not as obvious as the red bull one

The interesting thing is imo that Newey so far is the only one who without compromises uses the nose bump as an aerodynamic device. I expect this car to have massive downforce just like its predecessors.

Wouldn't be surprised if the nose bump is one of the main development fields for all teams over the season. Kinda like a second front wing. Will be interesting to see where this leaves McLaren. Either their design choice is a mistake or a godsend.

The sauber seems to have a vent blowing air up and over the chassis, coming from somewhere underneath I imagine.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/stefann1989/zupc31f.jpg

RB might be doing something similar, taking air from the bump and splitting it around the car. Where it's aimed, who knows.

Both systems are part of the chassis so there will be no copying. Mercedes might try assuming they haven't submitted their car. HRT or Marussia might try too (LOL).

Thanks guys for the comments :) Not long now until Melbourne.

Also, I gotta say, out of all the cars with that ugly nose the Ferrari is the best looking car. Now with the RB8 also having that nose I wonder what Mclaren are thinking knowing Red Bull have also taken that approach.

The sauber seems to have a vent blowing air up and over the chassis, coming from somewhere underneath I imagine.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/stefann1989/zupc31f.jpg

RB might be doing something similar, taking air from the bump and splitting it around the car. Where it's aimed, who knows.

Both systems are part of the chassis so there will be no copying. Mercedes might try assuming they haven't submitted their car. HRT or Marussia might try too (LOL).

Oh, I'm sure Ferrari "forgot" to include it as well.

Omiee

the more i look at the red bull the more i love it.

that tight end is soo nice. really interesting to see how mclaren's nose will impact their performance.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I expect the vent in the RB8's bump is to stop the drastic change in aero profile at the bump from causing the airflow to stall/create drag/vortices etc. - Makes more sense to me than having the bump and no method of channeling the airflow.

I also think homologation is going to make any late development of this near to impossible.

Omiee

I expect the vent in the RB8's bump is to stop the drastic change in aero profile at the bump from causing the airflow to stall/create drag/vortices etc. - Makes more sense to me than having the bump and no method of channeling the airflow.

I also think homogenization is going to make any late development of this near to impossible.

so basically red bull have an edge again this year =P

So should Mclaren be worried? I would say so, with my zero knowledge of F1 car design!

Fucking ugly Red Bull too. It's amazing how the cars went from sexy to ugly in a few short months. Urgh.

I mean, it's not a HUGE issue, but it's hard to say that these cars will be as fun to watch zooming around because they're so much uglier.

Osiris

so basically red bull have an edge again this year =P

We'll know in just over 40 days, but there's no way I'm writing my faves off yet, after all Newey isn't infallible, remember 2008? :p

S. L.

since there seems to be some confusion about the new homologation rules
Making this early debut more difficult for this year are the revised rules around crash testing. Typically teams have passed their final crash tests in the days before the first race, but now teams have to have passed all these tests before they can start testing. With initial crash tests being carried out now and continuing into January, any failure of a structure to pass its test first time may impact on the teams ability to attend the first test with their new car. This process of crash testing is a form of homologation, but unlike 2009, teams are free to homologate and crash test new structures at any point. So some teams may opt to accept a heavier component that will pass the tests in order to go testing and have the race-spec lighter pass ready for Melbourne.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/pre-season-testing-launches/

so any type of innovation that involves the chassi can be copied till Melbourne ;P

Aiii

So not worth it
If I was the CEO of Minichamps I would be really pissed off right now. I mean, the spoilers they made the teams put on the cars two years back made the cars look ugly, but these new noses just make them godawful.

The model car sales will be well down this year, who would like to display these cars other then hardcore collectors?

Osiris

since there seems to be some confusion about the new homologation rules

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/pre-season-testing-launches/

so any type of innovation that involves the chassi can be copied till Melbourne ;P

Can be, but highly unlikely to be, there's no way you throw away a whole design philosophy and try again with less than 40 days to do so, and a change to the front of that magnitude would be that, a wing? sure, a diffuser? tight but sure, the whole front end? Can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom