• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

GymWolf

Gold Member
to the people who did play death stranding.
who you prefer for best performance?
I have mads over sam
Yeah mads or heartman (or fragile except some cringy as fuck lines)...

Tbh i think that sam witwer from days gone is better than any chara in ds in terms of performance.

It's hard to be credible with all the mumbo jumbo bullshit in that game...

Mads is kinda better because he doesn't talk very much and his lines are kinda normal compared to the rest of the game :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's ironic that most gamers decry game journalists for their lack gaming skill and their political bias, but they like to use their verdicts and opinions on games as debate tools on what's good and what isn't.
Days Gone is a very good game, it's not original or exceptional but it’s well made all around and the story, characters and general writing is very good with a lot of great performances by the voice cast.
It's weird that most gaming sites had a hate boner for this game since release, IGN's "Another straight white male" and GameSpot's out right false claims, Waypoint's false reporting by Klepek about selling a girl to a slave camp and other SJW lies.
It's like all of them were in some WhatsApp Group or something. :pie_thinking:
Reviews for days gone are infuriating.

A lot of low scores for bug, glitches, performance issues and then you have assassins creed games and bethesda game that are fucking worst and they get 8-9 like nothing...

But hey, at least the plot and the gameplay loop on these games are wonderfull.
wonderfull crap of the highest order

Last edited:
Reviews for days gone are infuriating.

A lot of low scores for bug, glitches, performance issues and then you have assassins creed games and bethesda game that are fucking worst and they get 8-9 like nothing...

But hey, at least the plot and the gameplay loop on these games are wonderfull.
wonderfull crap of the highest order

I love Days Gone but its gameplay loop is no way near the quality/diversity of ACOdy even with its amazing zombie horde set pieces but thats not why it received low scores. It's because critics complained about yet another tough straight white dude as a protagonist, that they claimed he had no emotions compared to a male/female protags that can either be straight or gay. That stuff always gets extra points in woke critics. I loved both games but I think ACO is a better game especially with the season pass.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love Days Gone but its gameplay loop is no way near the quality/diversity of ACOdy even with its amazing zombie horde set pieces but thats not why it received low scores. It's because critics complained about yet another tough straight white dude as a protagonist, that they claimed he had no emotions compared to a male/female protags that can either be straight or gay. That stuff always gets extra points in woke critics. I loved both games but I think ACO is a better game especially with the season pass.
Not for me.
Combat in ac is clunky souls light with some cooldown skill (like days gone is clunky tlou but with worst melee and shooting) and gameplay loop is 90% liberating forts and enemy camps with stealth and ranged, not exactly varied or new or anything else tbh.

Not worst than days gone, but not better either.

Last edited:

Fake

yes, thats even worse cause its like a open world from 15 years ago
IMO every open world get generic at some point. If you was a resetera user you should know every bloody open world besides Zelda get shit. I even saw people saying Witcher 'copy' BOTW even knowing Witcher launch before Zelda.
Is a side effect of fanboys who played open world for the first time.

Next year will be the same bullshit. Fanboys will be whining about devs and asking them to stop create open world games, Sony Ghost of Tsushima and Microsoft next gen Fable will be generic open worlds, until the next Zelda release.

Last edited:
So, it’s weakest year since 2014. GOTY category is unfairly biased against multiplayer-centric games, hence no CoD: MW there. Stunning campaign, stunning production values and, despite some criticism about maps and SBMM (I have no problem with it), very addictive mp with tremendous care and polish put into it. There is also DS/Nioh/Sekiro/Ninja Gaiden mode called spec-ops for those that want real singleplayer with other people challenge.

I’m not saying it needs to win the whole thing but in this weakest of weak years it needs to be there.

Now I go outside to collect that sweet Activision check (just kidding 😆).

Hostile_18

Banned
As others have said it's an absolute crime Days Gone wasn't nominated for anything. Like really, really weird. Concrete Genie getting nominated for most impact yet Sony sent it out to die, and I don't think it even charted? I feel like Mortal Kombat should of been nominated for more as well. First half of the year are badly under represented.

The subtly and structure of the narrative is like nothing else this year. Feels like 3 complete seasons of a tv show in one package.

My personal game of the year, and the sales have most likely secured it a sequel for sure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Actually, one of the most outstanding features of DS is that its a real technical showpiece. It looks stunning, runs remarkably well, and in my experience of 50hrs play virtually bug-free.

Say what you want about Kojima as a director/designer, but you simply cannot dispute that the man really sets a ridiculously high-bar for sheer production quality. Considering the time-scale it was produced under, DS is miraculously polished.
I'm enjoying DS a lot, but it's nowhere near rdr2 production quality, like not even close.

8-9 years in developing and probably 2x-3x times (if not even more) the budget of any open world game gives you that.

Not many games even in the future are gonna surpass SOME aspects of that game...

But yeah at least DS is totally bug free, not something that i can say for rdr2, but that game has so many shit on screen and animals and npc interaction and complex animation etc. That would be impossible being totally bug free.

Ds is far more simpler in his mechanics and game systems, also no npc interaction or animals or huge number of enemies, etc. It's just a smaller game in scope, hollywood actors or kojima long cutscene or the internet part doesn't change that, you can't really do that much in ds open world...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It works with every other game - DS isn't special.

My opinion is worth as much as anyone's with functioning eyes and ears. The whole 'you have to have played it yourself' falls apart when you read Pokemon reviews that praise the game and don't mention any of the failures that the leak a weak before release revealed.

If you've played enough games, you can judge a game pretty well from only watching video material. Again, that's not me claiming to be special. I'm saying most everyone can.
For every other game i quote you big time, but DS caught me by surprise...the idea of being an ups delivery man terrified me until i tried the game.

Not saying that it's a game for everyone because it is not, but i'm a combat and kill guy in games and i already put 44 hours in this fucking strangely captive game...

For every other game i quote you big time, but DS caught me by surprise...the idea of being an ups delivery man terrified me until i tried the game.

Not saying that it's a game for everyone because it is not, but i'm a combat and kill guy in games and i already put 44 hours in this fucking strangely captive game...

You should try Diablo 2. It's the same, you traverse the wild, fetch some loot, and return to base. Except it's fun, varied and can be played in coop.

Oh wait, most games are like DS. Except we used to call DS 'fetch quest' back then before Kojima cultists elevated this mundane thing into something higher 🤷‍♀️ DS is part of most games, but most games, fortunately, don't leave it at that.

Now I'll gonna continue playing Ni No Kuni. Maybe I'll do some DSing before advancing the plot ...

🐧

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You should try Diablo 2. It's the same, you traverse the wild, fetch some loot, and return to base. Except it's fun, varied and can be played in coop.

Oh wait, most games are like DS. Except we used to call DS 'fetch quest' back then before Kojima cultists elevated this mundane thing into something higher 🤷‍♀️ DS is part of most games, but most games, fortunately, don't leave it at that.

Now I'll gonna continue playing Ni No Kuni. Maybe I'll do some DSing before advancing the plot ...

🐧
I'm not saying that ds does something really unique (a mix of known things in a unique vest maybe), i'm just saying that i was exactly like you seeing video of this game but when i tried in person, something clicked.

And the story is not even that good, so it's not even a question of being ammaliated and blinded by kojima bullshittery.

It's the gameplay that i'm enjoying somewhat.

You can be sarcastic, nothing wrong, i'm always sarcastic about videogames, i was just telling you my experience, and i'm exactly like you, i think video are enough to judge a game, but not this particular game, at least for me.

I already enjoyed diablo 2 in the past, thanks :lollipop_halo:

Also ninokuni is utter shit :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
GOTY: Sekiro
Best direction: Outer Worlds
Narrative: Death Stranding
Art: Zelda
Score: Cadence
Audio: Gears 5
Voice: Control
Ongoing: Fortnite
Action: Devil May Cry 5
Adventure: Sekiro
RPG: Outer Worlds
Fighting: Smash Bros
Family: Smash Bros
Strategy: Fire Emblem
Sports: Crash or Fifa
Multiplayer: Borderlands or CoD

ethomaz

Banned

🐧
Diablo what? You have no ideia what you are talking about lol

It nowhere similar in any way.

It is better to stay away from the keyboard when you don't have any ideia of what Death Stranding is... you are just shaming yourself with dumb comparisons.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm enjoying DS a lot, but it's nowhere near rdr2 production quality, like not even close.

8-9 years in developing and probably 2x-3x times (if not even more) the budget of any open world game gives you that.

Not many games even in the future are gonna surpass SOME aspects of that game...

But yeah at least DS is totally bug free, not something that i can say for rdr2, but that game has so many shit on screen and animals and npc interaction and complex animation etc. That would be impossible being totally bug free.

Ds is far more simpler in his mechanics and game systems, also no npc interaction or animals or huge number of enemies, etc. It's just a smaller game in scope, hollywood actors or kojima long cutscene or the internet part doesn't change that, you can't really do that much in ds open world...

Well yeah, RDR2 is pretty much the absolute apex of AAA scope-wise, but you can only really judge based on what the design demands. In that regard DS is wonderfully executed, and there is a lot in there. Once you get into the back-half of the game the density of content really starts to ramp up and more and more bespoke stuff gets added into the mix.

I have to give particular, massive props to Shinkawa too, the art-direction is sublime.

manfestival

>best audio design
>call of duty MW
I guess making your ears bleed and giving every soldier thunder thighs is an award nominating type of move. /s

In all seriousness, kinda surprised CoDMW isn't nominated for game of the year. The game has so much presence whether it is your type of thing or not. I played and loved outerworlds but I can seriously give CoDMW a nod over it in almost every way. I have only watched things on Control as well and I imagine the slot would probably better served for CODMW as well. Granted there has to be more that came out this year that was outstanding... no? I mean I haven't paid attention to every game. I know Gears 5 has been mentioned(not personally in my GoTY run but it was a very good and solid game) but I am drawing blanks

Also Shout out to these game companies for glossing over WoW classic. HOLLER

Last edited:
What do you have against control? Except for the protagonist masculine chin??

It's a shame that people are shitting on Control this hard. It's a Remedy game. Remedy is a beautiful studio and critical appraisal could be the only thing saving them from going bankrupt any second now. When you consider that, it's the only game that had a purpose getting nominated.

It's a shame that people are shitting on Control this hard. It's a Remedy game. Remedy is a beautiful studio and critical appraisal could be the only thing saving them from going bankrupt any second now. When you consider that, it's the only game that had a purpose getting nominated.

No. They received a ton of cash from Epic more than enough to cover lost sales which did not happen.

Please leave ur thoughts in the ot as u play along!
Yea its the first time I cant find myself side with the negative reviews of critics. Death stranding js special.but not for everyone. But the devideness of this one is insane indeed!

Oh right! I’ll jot down my thoughts in the OT when I play; good idea! I’m too dang intrigued by this game not to write about it, so that sounds like a good place to do so rather than my rambling endlessly to my friends, lol.

Diablo what? You have no ideia what you are talking about lol

It nowhere similar in any way.

It is better to stay away from the keyboard when you don't have any ideia of what Death Stranding is... you are just shaming yourself with dumb comparisons.

Would you say that I ... 'don't get it'?

😸🐧🤦‍♀️

Javthusiast

Banned
Noted industry shill makes difficult-to-prove claims about the show’s producer, primary source of funding, and also industry shill. Strong sense of DOUBT here.

I’m sorry, but if Dorito Pope wants Death Stranding to win “awards”, it’s going to win awards. We would have no evidence, aside from potential “he said/she said” claims, that anything weird went on.

Dorito Pope’s (admittedly creepy) obsessive relationship with Kojima makes even any nomination for awards sketchy. Dude is actually in the game in question, presenting an obvious conflict of interest and lack of credibility for the “awards”. If the game wins, it looks bad. If it loses, it looks bad. There’s no way to win in this scenario, and it’s all Keighley’s fault. At the very least, he could have been more discreet with his relationship with Kojima-- and he also could have refused the guest-starring role which presents the more problem.

I guess, if we look at “The Game Awards” as a joke-- which isn’t a terrible idea— then credibility for awards really doesn’t matter. But Keighley wants his baby to be legit, and it can never be with stuff like this.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not the best year for games in recent memory.

Also, Fire Emblem should be on the GOTY nomination list above Control at the very least.

Control is %100 the outlier on that list. Lol

Butz

Banned
if control doesnt win best art direction i know this shit is rigged, though its def not a goty contender, but in a good year non of the nominated games would win GOTY

Last edited:
I have mostly skimmed this thread so far so I'm not sure if this has been brought up (my bad if it has) BUT I just wanted to point out how entertaining (and ironic) it has been to see the Kotaku types call out the possible ethics issue with Kojima/Keighley's friendship.

The lack of self awareness is great

Dane

No it's fantastic, but TGA is aimed at (for lack of a better term) "Normies" who can't get into or appreciate the complexity of DMC and It's too "anime", too niche.
Control I've not played but it doesn't strike me as GOTY, not with Ms.Bogdanoff in it.
Death Stranding is too divisive but hey Keighley and Kojima are friends so it gotta be there and it has celebrities so it's gonna get some more mainstream eyes on the show.
Seikiro was reviewed well but SJW made it's diffculty into a controversy about disability rights.
TGAs was and will always be a joke.
2019 was a good year for gaming, but it blew most of it's load in the 1st 3 months and most people in this day and age have short attention spans.
P. S Out of that pitiful list Resident Evil 2 remake is the best IMO.

I'm almost sure its actually the opposite, DMC is more well known than Control.

Petrae

I have mostly skimmed this thread so far so I'm not sure if this has been brought up (my bad if it has) BUT I just wanted to point out how entertaining (and ironic) it has been to see the Kotaku types call out the possible ethics issue with Kojima/Keighley's friendship.

The lack of self awareness is great

Kotaku’s piece makes decent points, but it does sound weird coming from such a source. If we look at “The Game Awards” as the cringeworthy infomercial that it is and realize that its “awards” are bullshit, the obvious conflict of interest between Keighley and Kojima Productions really doesn’t matter that much. Let him give his meaningless tchotchkes to whomever he wants; it’s his dime and his time.

That said, Keighley absolutely cannot be taken seriously from this point on if he argues that his show is legitimate. It’s not. It never has been. This controversy would only serve to cement the “awards” as joke status.

Kotaku’s piece makes decent points, but it does sound weird coming from such a source. If we look at “The Game Awards” as the cringeworthy infomercial that it is and realize that its “awards” are bullshit, the obvious conflict of interest between Keighley and Kojima Productions really doesn’t matter that much. Let him give his meaningless tchotchkes to whomever he wants; it’s his dime and his time.

That said, Keighley absolutely cannot be taken seriously from this point on if he argues that his show is legitimate. It’s not. It never has been. This controversy would only serve to cement the “awards” as joke status.

I agree 100%. The game awards have become nothing more than a glorified commercial.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Not sure why everybody is sleeping on ssbu winning the GOTY award. Every character for DLC being announced throughout the year throws the internet into a ravenous frenzy for a few days.

also a glaring omission from the ongoing game section is Overwatch. Though it wouldn’t matter as I wouldn’t expect it to win against garbage like the pre-teen money makers apex or fortnite

nikolino840

Noted industry shill makes difficult-to-prove claims about the show’s producer, primary source of funding, and also industry shill. Strong sense of DOUBT here.

I’m sorry, but if Dorito Pope wants Death Stranding to win “awards”, it’s going to win awards. We would have no evidence, aside from potential “he said/she said” claims, that anything weird went on.

Dorito Pope’s (admittedly creepy) obsessive relationship with Kojima makes even any nomination for awards sketchy. Dude is actually in the game in question, presenting an obvious conflict of interest and lack of credibility for the “awards”. If the game wins, it looks bad. If it loses, it looks bad. There’s no way to win in this scenario, and it’s all Keighley’s fault. At the very least, he could have been more discreet with his relationship with Kojima-- and he also could have refused the guest-starring role which presents the more problem.

I guess, if we look at “The Game Awards” as a joke-- which isn’t a terrible idea— then credibility for awards really doesn’t matter. But Keighley wants his baby to be legit, and it can never be with stuff like this.
Maybe now DS dosen't win Just for Say :see? There's no conspiracy!

Mista

Banned
I never understood those awards, the obsession nor what do they change in a game. I’m in for the new announcements and other than that can piss off honestly

Last edited:
Honestly, I will be shocked if a Japanese game wins a category, let alone receive Goty. Maybe Death Stranding will be the exception, but we’ll see.

For example, I like Doa6, Samurai Shodown and MK11 for their own reasons, but I have a strong feeling MK11 will win. Also, I think DMC5 should win action game and I personally thought the game was great and it had responsive gameplay mechanics like no other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom