• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The gaming industry is overdue for a crash to reset the market

diffusionx

Gold Member
There is not going to be a crash, because people play videogames and it is a key part of peoples' use of free time.

What we are seeing is a sort of contraction of the sort we have seen many times. People were saying the same thing 10-12 years ago when studios like Bizarre were getting shut down after releasing good games.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Xbox will crash.. the gamepass plague/mentality will cease to exist and the industry will find a balance in Sony/Nintendo/Steam until some third party comes to the game.

Now ... if DEI growth continues to be a thing and all we can get is GAAS from sony and others ? Then fuck it ... let it crash I dont care.

Ev1L AuRoN

Microsoft and a lot of western developers need to go back to make great games and stop pandering for the woke agenda. That maybe be not the sole cause. But I'm sure its one of the big ones.

DEI-hiring policies, woke content in games, just like Hollywood, the gaming industry are falling into the same traps, From an outsider perspective I think America is imploding inside out.
I blame the Higher Educations System. We have a generation of, quite frankly, retards.

The market needs a course correction. Not a crash.

Big studios need to start rethinking what they're doing and how they're approaching game dev. Relying on legacy, old IP and little to no space for fresh ideas to flourish is not the way.

The board would be empty, tho.

Not really. There are lots of really decent, very rational gamers on this forum who while having a clear platform preference, are still rational and objective enough to be able to look critically at what their platform of choice is doing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The games industry is far too big to crash completely, but we could see the collapse of the monopolistic stranglehold of a very few games publishers.

This happened in Hollywood in the 60s, with the big studios all ‘crashing’ which led to the more avant garde cinema of the 70s. Of course the studios survived, but they got very bloody noses. The sane thing needs to happen again there… and a similar ‘correction’ is both desired and possible in gaming.

Top Bottom