• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Sephzilla

This is why the very idea of Voyager was flawed from the get-go. They have to find convenient excuses for why they can't get back or the series would be over in 2 seconds.

Voyager would have been awesome if it was a one or two season long series, maybe even 3. Stretch it out any longer than that and the formula gets old. Season 3 of Enterprise uses a similar concept and shit by the time season 4 rolled around and they get stuck in the alternate timeline I was like "jesus just let them go home"

First contact is the best Star Trek movie.

I'm surprised he didn't win an oscar for his performance. The scene with him and the earth woman and his little ships is top draw.

DBT85

Anyone seen this?

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Star Trek Continues...the production values are impressive for a fan made project but I caught the first few min of the first episode and it's pretty terrible.

Not watched the episode, but looking very briefly through the first episode, the aesthetic is perfect, it's looks like it could easily be a set of episodes dug up from somewhere.

But that audio sounds really weird.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone seen this?

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Star Trek Continues...the production values are impressive for a fan made project but I caught the first few min of the first episode and it's pretty terrible.
Yeah, it's one of the projects that has raised 6 figures via Kickstarter.

You know, I wonder if Axanar is still going or if the fact that the entire fan community has turned on them has meant they disappeared.

You know, I wonder if Axanar is still going or if the fact that the entire fan community has turned on them has meant they disappeared.

Don't think the fan community turned on them, they always had haters from rival fan projects (why?) but most people are just disappointed with the outcome of the lawsuit.

They basically caved to most of the new ruleset for fan movies, Axanar will now be two 15 minute episodes instead of a full length movie. 'Prelude to Axanar' does not count as one of the two and is allowed to stay on YouTube for viewing.

Real shame because one of the few fan films that was actually good.

lol I've never really seen any but I can't imagine they are any good

Watch Prelude to Axanar, on YouTube. As said above two 15 minute follow ups are coming, though sadly the Klingon actor died recently before doing all shooting I believe.

So are there any particular stores one should go to in order buy various Trek ships models or general items for display or even to play around with? Haven't looked at any of this in a long time. I remember having toy phasers from both the TOS films and TNG along with a model of the Enterprise E that made sounds when you pressed the buttons. Think they're all in a plastic bin stored away and they were gotten from Toys R Us around the time. Looking for some things of higher quality now though if they're available.

Eaglemoss have a huge collection of ships, most are around 120-140mm but are some special larger issues. Can view them here, still over 30 to release.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection

Can buy direct from Eaglemoss, if out of stock you can wait for new stock or face scalper prices on eBay etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't think the fan community turned on them, they always had haters from rival fan projects (why?) but most people are just disappointed with the outcome of the lawsuit.

They basically caved to most of the new ruleset for fan movies, Axanar will now be two 15 minute episodes instead of a full length movie. 'Prelude to Axanar' does not count as one of the two and is allowed to stay on YouTube for viewing.

Watch Prelude to Axanar, on YouTube. As said above two 15 minute follow ups are coming, though sadly the Klingon actor died recently before doing all shooting I believe.
TrekBBS peeps seem to hate the main Axanar guy at least. lol
They make it seem like he's a scammer and right now there are script issues. But the thread is like 1500 pages long, and I can't really be bothered to go through it all.

So Q is back, even when his episodes aren't that great, John is such a fun actor I don't mind.

I also watched Future's End, I don't remember 90s fashion being so terrible and it's crazy how many actors have played a role in a Star Trek show, Sarah Silverman looks so young.

Hmm alright I'll give that a watch,

Not watched the episode, but looking very briefly through the first episode, the aesthetic is perfect, it's looks like it could easily be a set of episodes dug up from somewhere.

But that audio sounds really weird.

Yeah they nailed the look, I think they would have been better off doing it with original characters though...

So I got to the part where Neelix doesn't know that region of space anymore, at least now it feels like they have actually gained some ground.

So I guess Neelix and Kes were just going to go with them to the Alpha Quadrant? (I know kes doesn't make it past season 3)

So far my favorite characters are B'elanna and the Doctor, I like Janeway overall and most of the dumb decisions she makes I blame on the poor foresight and terrible writing from the writers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Harry Kim and Chakotay get a bum rap. Chakotay gets the worst episodes of the series as his vehicles and Harry Kim is beyond normal rates of being a butt monkey. His list of failures is about as long as Yamcha's and he's played for a fool in each and every one of his spotlight episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kes also tries to leave the ship a few times. Neelix just likes his new job a lot and especially after breaking up with Kes has nothing else going on.

Kes also tries to leave the ship a few times. Neelix just likes his new job a lot and especially after breaking up with Kes has nothing else going on.

It makes sense if you think about it. Janeway keeps giving him positive feedback and highflown titles, and he completely misses the sarcasm because he doesn't get tone. I bet in his whole life before, he never got any positive feedback. Just the sorts of things fans of the show say. XD

Fuchsdh

In later seasons, Neelix is the most gung ho to "get back to earth" despite having never been there. It's kinda weird. I guess more humandcentrism? All species love earth?

Eh, I think it makes perfect sense. He's a guy whose race is basically left adrift, and he hitches a ride with people far-flung from home and desperate to get back. I can see how especially with how rosy Earth seems compared to the Delta Quadrant he'd be fine going along with it, until he gets a chance with his people to create a new home (which happens.)*

*I'll be interested in revisiting the opinion as I go through VOY, but thus far I think it had a stronger season 7 than DS9 just in that it seemed to recognize things were ending better than the latter, which continued giving us dumb Klingon and Ferengi and baseball stories even as they were totally fumbling larger elements.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think season 7 of DS9 might be its worst season overall. Had to spend too much time introducing Ezri and wrapping things up.

Season 7 of Voyager is among its best meanwhile. I think one of Voyager's best aspects though is how consistent it is throughout. More even keel. Never as great as DS9 or TNG, never quite as bad as their worst moments either.

Fuchsdh

I think season 7 of DS9 might be its worst season overall. Had to spend too much time introducing Ezri and wrapping things up.

Season 7 of Voyager is among its best meanwhile. I think one of Voyager's best aspects though is how consistent it is throughout. More even keel. Never as great as DS9 or TNG, never quite as bad as their worst moments either.

It also benefited from being able to lean heavily on Janeway, the Doctor, and Seven in a way that DS9 never could, being a more egalitarian ensemble show. But yeah, rewatching it I was amazed at how rocky S7 was and how until the very end it seemed unaware of the show ending.

Meanwhile Voyager finally had episodes that showed what the series could have been at its best, stuff like Kim and Paris getting to grow up, Torres dealing with her past. Had it a better finale I think it'd be looked on a whole lot more favorably.

But then again, that's just my recollection! We'll see if those episodes hold up on the binge.

Mid-way through Season 3 now and yeah it's been pretty even, some good episodes or good ideas and some dumb or terrible ones but fairly consistent at least.

I think Ent Season 1 and 2 might be the worse seasons of ST I've seen yet but DS9 S7 is up there,

Fathead

Uh, Voyager has some of the absolute worst episodes in television history. Its only even keel if you mean consistent garbage.

So....Dinosaurs evolved here on earth long enough to develop space travel huh...

also I don't think the writers have a good grasp on the concept of evolution.

Did Kes and Neelix break up off screen? They kinda mentioned it during the episode where they time traveled but I don't recall it ever happening...

maharg

idspispopd
So....Dinosaurs evolved here on earth long enough to develop space travel huh...

I mean, they were the dominant life form on this planet for many many millions of years. I don't think time was a constraining factor. We've only been dominant for a few hundred thousand at best.

Not that the episode isn't dumb, or at least a callback to a more speculative era of SF, but like.. yeah dinos were around a long time.

They break up after she gets her body hijacked by that evil guy.

See I remember that...but it wasn't her, so I figured when she was back to normal they'd resume their relationship. That's odd that they just continued being broken up after.

I mean, they were the dominant life form on this planet for many many millions of years. I don't think time was a constraining factor. We've only been dominant for a few hundred thousand at best.

Not that the episode isn't dumb, or at least a callback to a more speculative era of SF, but like.. yeah dinos were around a long time.

Yeah that I understand, that idea is used a lot in Sci-fi, reminded me of a TOS episode too,

So I'm finally in season 4, I think the biggest issue with Voyager (so far) is that there is nothing memorable about it. I've watched almost 100 episodes and the most memorable thing about it is how badly the writers mess up interesting plots.

I think the borg/species 8472 episode has been my favorite so far.

Dalthien

I really liked season 7 myself. Obviously if you didn't take to Ezri then you'd have problems with the time she received, but I found her to be a much needed breath of fresh air personally. I was bored of Jadzia by the 3rd season, and for me Jadzia was easily the weakest main character in the show. I found Ezri to be very refreshing and energizing, and enjoyed her insertion into the cast.

S7 had it's share of issues (Dukat in particular), but it was still a lot of fun. I found the silly episodes (Take Me Out to the Holosuite, Badda-Bing Badda-Bang) to be light-hearted fun. Some of the more serious stuff (Great River, AR-558, Paper Moon, Silent Leges, etc.) was really well done, and the final stretch of episodes was largely high-quality stuff, where even the clunker in the bunch (Extreme Measures) still had a ton of outstanding O'Brien/Bashir moments within it. It doesn't hurt that I was a fan of Vic's character as well, because that's another divisive element (along with Ezri) for some people when it comes to S7.

S1 would be the worst season of DS9 for me. It actually holds up a lot better upon rewatch after having already seen the show, because then it's enjoyable seeing the characters' beginnings now that you know how they develop over time. But much of the first 2/3 of S1 really just felt like a big collection of episodes that were rejected by TNG.

Fuchsdh

I really liked season 7 myself. Obviously if you didn't take to Ezri then you'd have problems with the time she received, but I found her to be a much needed breath of fresh air personally. I was bored of Jadzia by the 3rd season, and for me Jadzia was easily the weakest main character in the show. I found Ezri to be very refreshing and energizing, and enjoyed her insertion into the cast.

I think Ezri was really just Jadzia Dax's character problems in reverse. The idea of a wise-beyond-their-years character has theoretical interest but in practice an always-competent, always-right, ultra-experienced character who's not the leader doesn't come with a lot of narrative weight. So the stuff that did work with her (episodes like "Blood Oath", "Rejoined", etc.) dealt with factors of those lifetimes of experience.

Ezri seemed like a conscious decision to get away from that, and again made sense on paper (they beat it into our heads that being a joined Trill is a lot of prep work, so what if someone was thrown into that with no foreknowledge) but again, I don't think worked out well. You basically end up with someone with what feels like an erratic personality disorder, and the amount of time Ezri spends moping (and then the terrible stuff between her and Worf) just felt like a waste of time. I guess "waste of time" is why I look at DS9's final season very uncharitably—for a show that was pioneering more serialized storytelling, it wastes so much time on characters a lot of people don't care about, Vic being chief among them (I guess Vic wouldn't have bothered me so much if anyone seemed vaguely interested in the implications of the possibly-sentient hologram. Voyager actually did something with the idea, whereas DS9 just looked at it as "let's do holosuite shenanigans", which is funnily enough probably the reverse of what people think about when they compare the two series.)

Sephzilla

Season 7 of DS9 has two of my least favorite things in the series; Ezri Dax and a ton of focus on the stupid Bajoran religious mythos. DS9 always was better when it kept its distance from the Bajoran stuff in my opinion.

Jackpot

Banned
Ezri was just bad. It's hard to like someone who throws up on ship consoles. And then there was bickering with Worf.

Garak's assessment of her was right on the money.

Morts

I liked Ezri... Some of the Worf stuff with her was boring though. For so me reason I like the episode where O'Brien exposes her family's mob ties.

The Dukat/Winn stuff is by far the bigger sin of DS9 season 7.

I still remember how Jadzia's death got spoiled for me: the week that episode aired, the local newspaper ran a story about how she was leaving DS9 and moving to a new CBS sitcom.

sigh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why couldn't Jadzia's actress just stick around for one more season :(
What I don't get is why they couldn't work out a reduced schedule for her, since it was all in the "CBS family" anyway.

The funny thing is that she got "killed off" in Becker much the same way she was killed off in DS9, which I imagine must have been a bitter pill at the time.

Fuchsdh

What I don't get is why they couldn't work out a reduced schedule for her, since it was all in the "CBS family" anyway.

The funny thing is that she got "killed off" in Becker much the same way she was killed off in DS9, which I imagine must have been a bitter pill at the time.

In retrospect leaving DS9 wasn't a great career move, although I can imagine especially with the still-prevalent bias against genre TV in the 1990s it seemed like a good idea.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In retrospect leaving DS9 wasn't a great career move, although I can imagine especially with the still-prevalent bias against genre TV in the 1990s it seemed like a good idea.
I guess it depends on what you want. I assume Brooks went back to theater, but Siddig is probably the only actor who you constantly see on TV today, even if he just plays the same generic middle eastern guy now. I think Visitor went the Frakes route and became a director?

You think of the modern Trek actors and it's basically Stewart and Bakula who have made it out better than they came in.

In retrospect, I like Ezri better than I like Jadzia.

So much of Jadzia's early arc was establishing trill rules, that a rewatch is uninteresting if you already know the rules. It leaves her practically characterless.

Also, Jadzia's most meaningful episodes are all about how much she and Curzon love klingon society. For those of us who don't love klingon society, you can't get more boring. Personally I skip all the klingon and ferengi episodes, because they just aren't enjoyable.

Ezri at least does have a personality, even if she is fairly defined by her inferiority complex in the first few episodes. As she settles in, she has a new viewpoint to add to the show.

Sephzilla

I think after Jadzia died they should have just sent the Trill off somewhere else and not brought in Ezri. Another part of what makes Season 7 so awkward at times is that the show is trying to introduce a new character arc into the show while simultaneously closing out the character arcs of the entire remaining cast. Introducing a new core character in the final season of the show just seems like a waste

Cheerilee

Why couldn't Jadzia's actress just stick around for one more season :(

In her defense it's not like she pulled a Denise Crosby and left after one season. She probably knew DS9 was near the end.
IIRC, Terry Farrell has said that if she had known season 7 was going to be DS9's final season, she would've put up with the bullshit for one more year.

She knew the show was "near" the end, in that they had switched from multi-year contracts to one-year contracts, that way they could cancel the series on short notice, but she didn't know anything beyond that, because the show's producers didn't even know.

They let go of Farrell, signed up all the rest of the actors for one year (including Nicole de Boer to replace Farrell, not knowing if Ezri was going to be around for one year or for another six years), and then they decided that season 7 was going to be the final season of DS9 (at which point they told the writers to start wrapping things up, oh and... by the way, you also have to introduce this new character).

I agree forcing character development on Ezri when it was the final season was dumb, even if they didn't know that it was the final season they probably should have just left Jadzias death alone and not brought in a replacement.

Ezri, ruining Dukat and the bajor/religious stuff just ruined the last season.

Voyager could have extended the year of hell episodes for at least half the season if they wanted too. I did hate that everything just went back to normal though after they blew up the ship...I hate when shows do that...

And what was the whole point of Kes knowing about the Krenim if they didn't bother learning anything from it?

The writers on this show are so bad

Top Bottom