• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Beyond
Galaxy Quest
Voyage Home
Search for Spock
The Motion Picture
Insurrection
Generations
Final Frontier
Into Darkness
Nemesis

I was going to criticize you for pushing The Voyage Home down so far, but the more I think about it...yeah, this list is pretty on point. ^_^

Just curious if anyone knows this but when they film a season, do they keep around the same background characters throughout the shoot or is it a per episode type of thing? I've noticed a few recurring characters that get a speaking part but for the most part it's just random people you never see again. Anyways I was just wondering,

so I made it to season 7, that was a good two parter, I've noticed the majority of Voyager two part episodes tend to be pretty good except for everything going back to normal at the end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just curious if anyone knows this but when they film a season, do they keep around the same background characters throughout the shoot or is it a per episode type of thing? I've noticed a few recurring characters that get a speaking part but for the most part it's just random people you never see again. Anyways I was just wondering,

so I made it to season 7, that was a good two parter, I've noticed the majority of Voyager two part episodes tend to be pretty good except for everything going back to normal at the end.

There are "regular extras" that they use and recycle across the series, but the ones that come back are mostly part of the crew IIRC.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I'm a little confused on the ending of a Voyager episode. At the end of "Omega Directive" did they just destroy the Omega molecules or did they blow up the Omega molecules and fuck up that alien species nearby subspace? Earlier in the episode they said if subspace was about to be fouled up they would only have ten seconds to escape. As soon as the torpedo detonated they instantly went to warp speed. Was that just a precautionary measure?

Either way, those aliens had a really bad day.

I'm a little confused on the ending of a Voyager episode. At the end of "Omega Directive" did they just destroy the Omega molecules or did they blow up the Omega molecules and fuck up that alien species nearby subspace? Earlier in the episode they said if subspace was about to be fouled up they would only have ten seconds to escape. As soon as the torpedo detonated they instantly went to warp speed. Was that just a precautionary measure?

Either way, those aliens had a really bad day.

I just saw that, they just destroyed them but the explosion had to be huge so the aliens still got fucked up

There are "regular extras" that they use and recycle across the series, but the ones that come back are mostly part of the crew IIRC.

Ah ok, would be kinda cool to be an extra for an episode or even get a speaking part

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I finished season seven myself. I'm one of the few who actually likes how Voyager ends.

I don't actually like many of the two parters on Voyager...but for whatever reason love Workforce.

There's a reoccurring season one character who shows back up late in season seven
and gets killed a third of the way through an episode.

So hypothetically, Patrick Stewart didn't renew his contract at the end of Season 6 and left TNG. Jellico from Chain Of Command replaces him, because that was planned to be a thing if Stewart didn't renew his contract.

How different is Season 7? At the minimum, All Good Things... is pretty much thrown out the window.

Season 7 is bad enough (easily the third worst season after 2 and 1) but without Stewart that would have killed the finale, the best Trek finale and the only real highlight of season seven.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's even more specific if you think about it, basically mid 50's and before. Cars, his old ass tv, his taste in movies.

They go back to the mid 90's and while he's excited to see combustion engines it doesn't really tickle his fancy that much.

Tom's love for the early 20th century is kinda funny...you have a room that can create whatever you want and he keeps going back to that time period.

I just watched The Magnificent Seven and started a replay of Red Dead Redemption and it's probably no different. Our desire to romanticize the Wild West would look pretty strange to people who really lived without indoor plumbing or electricity--and law enforcement.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tom is the guy who just can't play anything on emulators/digitally and has to have original systems/vinyl/cassette tapes.

Tom the hipster of the 24th century lol

I just watched The Magnificent Seven and started a replay of Red Dead Redemption and it's probably no different. Our desire to romanticize the Wild West would look pretty strange to people who really lived without indoor plumbing or electricity--and law enforcement.

That's true I'd probably do a few wild-west programs but I think I'd be more like O'Brian and Bashir, do more historical stuff.

Fuchsdh

That's one of the things I've liked about a lot of Star Trek's approach to the past, honestly. It's done in a very realistic manner—by which I mean people remember the exciting or fun or adventurous stuff and not the reality. Star Trek IV pokes fun at both how "primitive" we seem to 23rd century explorers, but also how out of their depth those explorers are in the time period as well.

That's why Sisko's complaint about Vic's holoprogram always struck me as weird—yeah, it's modeled after a period of time in which black people were discriminated against, but the whole point of the holodeck is wish fulfillment. Enjoying a sanitized and romanticized version of a period doesn't create any moral quandary.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People give Dear Doctor a lot of shit for character assassination (and they should for the awful moral it is trying to teach) but a Night in Sickbay is about a thousand times worse in that regard. It makes Archer look like a fratboy douche and the most unprofessional person possible.

I think they got stuck trying to make a comedic idea into a more traditional drama and tasked an actor who is pretty damn good at being smug into being one of those dog owners that just becomes a monster whenever it involves their pet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

The ship stranded on it's own thing really lent itself well to a supporting cast, but Voyager never made use of it.

There were a few side characters in S1 and S2 that would show up here and there and talk, but they were forgotten about. Really, the only three supporting characters on the crew were Icheb, Naomi, and Naomi's Mom, and together they only appeared in maybe a dozen episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, Icheb and Naomi show up a ton. Naomi in the middle seasons and Icheb in the last few.

Garak might be the only side character in any Trek show to show up more than Naomi. She's in it to win it.

That's one of the things I've liked about a lot of Star Trek's approach to the past, honestly. It's done in a very realistic manner—by which I mean people remember the exciting or fun or adventurous stuff and not the reality. Star Trek IV pokes fun at both how "primitive" we seem to 23rd century explorers, but also how out of their depth those explorers are in the time period as well.

That's why Sisko's complaint about Vic's holoprogram always struck me as weird—yeah, it's modeled after a period of time in which black people were discriminated against, but the whole point of the holodeck is wish fulfillment. Enjoying a sanitized and romanticized version of a period doesn't create any moral quandary.

True and they removed the racism/prejudice so it's not like he had to experience it, sad that they had no problem leaving the sexism in though.

Edit:
People give Dear Doctor a lot of shit for character assassination (and they should for the awful moral it is trying to teach) but a Night in Sickbay is about a thousand times worse in that regard. It makes Archer look like a fratboy douche and the most unprofessional person possible.

I think they got stuck trying to make a comedic idea into a more traditional drama and tasked an actor who is pretty damn good at being smug into being one of those dog owners that just becomes a monster whenever it involves their pet.

Ugh I hated that episode and made me dislike Archer even more.

Fuchsdh

The ship stranded on it's own thing really lent itself well to a supporting cast, but Voyager never made use of it.

There were a few side characters in S1 and S2 that would show up here and there and talk, but they were forgotten about. Really, the only three supporting characters on the crew were Icheb, Naomi, and Naomi's Mom, and together they only appeared in maybe a dozen episodes.

I think Icheb definitely worked out pretty well as a side character. The Borg kids got to add more layers to Seven but Icheb also functioned as an interesting character in his own right. The fact that we learn his parents
sacrificed him as an anti-Borg weapon
was also a really interesting wrinkle.

Isn't that the conclusion The Sisko comes to?

Basically, only through Kasidy's cajoling though.

That entire episode (and holodeck eps on DS9 in general) are full of stupid though, and that's even counting the shenanigans VOY got up to. The idea that killing a character in a holoprogram deletes them was regularly trotted out, even as it makes no sense, and the tension in "Badda Bing" is because the only other way to get rid of the mobsters would be resetting the program and "killing" Vic, which seems ludicrous they can't save character profiles separately from the program, or else have no sort of snapshotting feature for backups. And really Vic is a terrible character that took up way too much screen time in the final season, so I'm predisposed to hate it. We get the women in nice dresses, I can't really say I see what other merits the episode has.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Icheb definitely worked out pretty well as a side character. The Borg kids got to add more layers to Seven but Icheb also functioned as an interesting character in his own right. The fact that we learn his parents
sacrificed him as an anti-Borg weapon
was also a really interesting wrinkle.

I like this bit a lot but if you think about it....
they're like the fourth or fifth group to do this same thing across TNG/DS9/VOY. They think about doing it with Hugh in TNG (and accidentally do by giving him the gift of individuality. Section 31 tries this against the founders. At least three different alien races do it in the Delta Quadrant against the borg.

Yup, I guess it could have been budget issues? DS9 did it really well and I'd say some of the best characters were the side characters (Garak, Quark, Dukat before the prophets stuff). I just saw the episode when they find the three crew outcasts and they go on an away mission with Janeway, I enjoyed seeing the lives of the lower ranks,

Fuchsdh

I like this bit a lot but if you think about it....
they're like the fourth or fifth group to do this same thing across TNG/DS9/VOY. They think about doing it with Hugh in TNG (and accidentally do by giving him the gift of individuality. Section 31 tries this against the founders. At least three different alien races do it in the Delta Quadrant against the borg.

Yeah, but I think it makes sense. The Borg want your technology and they want you. Effective strategies against them are probably going to funnel into those two categories.

(Also, if you want to get really nitpicky, you could say Janeway did this as well in the finale.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, but I think it makes sense. The Borg want your technology and they want you. Effective strategies against them are probably going to funnel into those two categories.

(Also, if you want to get really nitpicky, you could say Janeway did this as well in the finale.)

I actually thought about editing it in. She does exactly that. It's played out considering this is the race that adapts to everything else after one or two goes.

Taking them out with something like Unimatrix Zero was a fresh bit. Intentionally getting a vector assimilated happens all the time and they should really update their malware protection.

What was the argument for not eradicating the borg? It's not like they had innocent women and children or something. Everyone is a drone, everyone is assimilating, if you have a chance to wipe them out you do it, I see it like not wanting to eradicating a virus...or plague

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What was the argument for not eradicating the borg? It's not like they had innocent women and children or something. Everyone is a drone, everyone is assimilating, if you have a chance to wipe them out you do it, I see it like not wanting to eradicating a virus...or plague

On TNG it's because Hugh is a sentient being and a pretty cool dude.

Every other time...they pretty much don't care about doing just that.

You'd think after recovering Seven though they'd be real hesitant to do that considering they can rehabilitate them.

I guess not killing Hugh makes sense but they weakened the Borg too much. There have been 3 instances I remember where the borg could have been defeated and luckily weren't because of those pesky humans. In TNG they were this scary race you wanted no part of, by Voyager they were raiding tactical Cubes.

Edit: lol Jerry from parks and rec played a duped merchant

Fuchsdh

Yeah they've got plenty of background continuity. If it were a modern show they would have actually developed some of those background characters though. Carey is actually an exception because he literally didn't show up after season one except when it was an alternate universe until he showed up to die in S7.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I guess not killing Hugh makes sense but they weakened the Borg too much. There have been 3 instances I remember where the borg could have been defeated and luckily weren't because of those pesky humans. In TNG they were this scary race you wanted no part of, by Voyager they were raiding tactical Cubes.

Edit: lol Jerry from parks and rec played a duped merchant

This got a huge chuckle from me.

Seven's "you are all morons" moments were the best thing about Voyager.

I do think that series had a lot of potential, but you can't overcome sustained bad writing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The episode where they are only ones awake during a "storm" proves you right lol

I'm less than 10 episodes away from finishing, I'm going to miss my star trek binging :(

You can always watch Babylon 5 (for free on some weird but legal streaming service) if you're in need of more Sci Fi.

I generally like everyone in the cast a lot besides Kim and Chakotay. I even like Chakotay's actor a lot but he gets the worst material pretty much all the time. It's still true though that the show just being Doctor Who with Seven as the companion would have been amazing.

I'm about halfway through Enterprise myself and will probably watch DS9 later in the year. Everytime I watch this show I like it a little bit more, just like Voyager. I think Trip reminding me of George W Bush is what put me off from getting into it when it premiered. I still think the Temporal Cold War stuff should have been its own series. What I keep noticing each time I rewatch it is how much I really like the Vulcans here. They're pretty much always right, just being dicks about it. When they're wrong though, they're wrong as hell. I like how in the fourth season they portray a lot of it being the Romulans dicking around with them as it sort of makes sense.

That new trailer for Discovery was better, I'm cautiously excited again. I really hope it's good.

You can always watch Babylon 5 (for free on some weird but legal streaming service) if you're in need of more Sci Fi.

I generally like everyone in the cast a lot besides Kim and Chakotay. I even like Chakotay's actor a lot but he gets the worst material pretty much all the time. It's still true though that the show just being Doctor Who with Seven as the companion would have been amazing.

I'm about halfway through Enterprise myself and will probably watch DS9 later in the year. Everytime I watch this show I like it a little bit more, just like Voyager. I think Trip reminding me of George W Bush is what put me off from getting into it when it premiered. I still think the Temporal Cold War stuff should have been its own series. What I keep noticing each time I rewatch it is how much I really like the Vulcans here. They're pretty much always right, just being dicks about it. When they're wrong though, they're wrong as hell. I like how in the fourth season they portray a lot of it being the Romulans dicking around with them as it sort of makes sense.

Oh I have been meaning to give that a watch, thanks for the suggestion

I can't stand Chakotay, he's the worst character on there. He's basically Janeways lap dog. I don't mind Harry but they couldn't figure out what to do with him so he's just kinda there. I like Tom and B'lanna together and Neelix is ok in the background.

Top Bottom