• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ghost Chili is dead, the new hottest chili is grown inSouth Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a more in depth look at hot chilli's, The New Yorker recently ran a great piece about chili, how their "hotness" is measured, and the various disputes within the chili community.

In mid-December of 2011, Brady Bennett went out drinking at Adobe Gila’s at the Greene, a Mexican restaurant in Dayton, Ohio. After two beers, the bartender offered him a free shot. Bennett chose Patrón tequila with apple schnapps. Soon, he recalled, his throat began to swell. He struggled to breathe, and his nose, mouth, and lungs “felt as though they were on fire.” He called for an ambulance, moaning, and was taken to the hospital. A year later, Bennett filed a lawsuit against Adobe Gila’s, claiming that the bartender had spiked his drink with extract of the bhut jolokia, or ghost chili. (Adobe Gila’s denies the allegations.) “It wasn’t as if they gave him a little Tabasco,” Jeff McQuiston, Bennett’s lawyer, told the Dayton Daily News. “This stuff is lethal.” The bhut jolokia is a hundred and fifty times hotter than a jalapeño. Gastromasochists have likened it to molten lava, burning needles, and “the tip of my tongue being branded by a fine point of heated steel.” Yet, at more than a million Scoville heat units—the Scoville scale, developed by the pharmacist Wilbur Scoville in 1912, measures the pungency of foods—the bhut jolokia is at least 462,400 SHU short of being the world’s hottest chili pepper.

Give it a read, it's really great.

Them jiggas is droppin' bombs in da toilet
Fireworks of red chile matter
What could have made them do such a thing?
Listen to feces go pitter patter
These fools... they grow the chiles and eat 'em
They must be mad as a hatter
But then they cool their mouth off with whole sour cream
And I watch as their bellies get fatter.

the end

Boogiepop

For me personally a jalapeno is about as high as I'm willing to go. Enough to burn my tongue and override the taste of whatever I'm eating. I can't even imagine eating this kind of stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Having a ghost chili sauce and then vomiting is pretty much one of the worst experiences of my life but I'd totally do it again and I'd be up for this any time.

Eating stuff this hot is basically like having a chest-burster in your stomach. The numbness on your mouth totally pales in comparison to the unbelievable pain in your gut.

Ekdrm2d1

Chocolate ghost, aka Chocolate Bhutlah
msg0822340520176.091841321259.jpg

Pretty!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Having a ghost chili sauce and then vomiting is pretty much one of the worst experiences of my life but I'd totally do it again and I'd be up for this any time.

Eating stuff this hot is basically like having a chest-burster in your stomach. The numbness on your mouth totally pales in comparison to the unbelievable pain in your gut.

This feels like someone nostalgically reminiscing about kidney stones.

Leunam

A friend and I tried some pureed Carolina Reaper while we were at a hot sauce festival recently.

I had a teaspoon sized sample and it was the hottest thing I ever tasted. Half a week later and I still had a little sore patch in the center of my tongue.

Worth it.

xenist

Even as a staunch proponent of "the food isn't spicy unless even your farts scorch your butthole afterwards" school of spicy food these novelty peppers seem only good for comedic value.

Branduil

I don't understand the point of peppers this hot. I mean, I understand the value for the grower, but I don't understand the point of eating them. They're going to be so hot that you won't even be able to taste them... or anything else for a long time afterwards.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't understand the point of peppers this hot. I mean, I understand the value for the grower, but I don't understand the point of eating them. They're going to be so hot that you won't even be able to taste them... or anything else for a long time afterwards.

They aren't that hot when eaten with food. You can absolutely taste them. Especially when the peppers are raw.

Madness

A lot of people have started creating hybrids of the ghost chili, growing them elsewhere to make it hotter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom