• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The God who Peter Molyneux forgot - Curiosity winner Bryan Henderson

This is cool. Devolver is the best
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Not+A+Hero/news.asp?c=63875
Roll7 and publisher Devolver Digital have given Bryan Henderson the title of god in its game Not A Hero.
The video that was released yesterday alongside the announcement shows Henderson using his godlike powers. Unfortunately, these won't be actualized inside the actual game, at least, not at launch.
Devolver Digital's Nigel Lowrie said that he and others at the company felt sympathy for Henderson's story. As Eurogamer found out, it seemed that he had been forgotten about by Godus developer 22cans.

"We then thought we should help make good and get him into a game, however minor that may be, and knew that our developers would be sympathetic," Lowrie said.

"We reached out to Roll7 and, feeling the same way, they immediately said they'd do it."
http://youtu.be/8Ag_93F3_9E

More from Polygon
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/12/8026875/molyneux-godus-god-not-a-hero
We'd known of the whole saga from the start, I was one of the many people tapping away at the original Curiosity game..." Nigel Lowrie of Devolver Digital told Polygon.

"When the news came out that Bryan might not see his grand prize come about it was pretty disheartening and felt that it makes the rest of us behind the 'game development curtain' look bad. To have this promise of being in a game so publicly lauded and then have it seemingly taken away is a tough story to read," he continued.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

neshcom

Banned
For those interested, that interview i mentioned has been posted online now:

Peter Molyneux interview: 'It's over, I will not speak to the press again'

Havent read it yet but will do.
Yeah, the best response to a fledgling Kickstarter campaign is to close the public dialogue about what went wrong and how you're going to fix it. /s
Sure, he doesn't /need/ the press to make the Kickstarter right, but he made no hints at an honest attempt to complete the game. His sole takeaway was "from now on, I won't talk to the press about our new game."

Godus is dead. He has no faith or expectation in its further development and is waiting for this intern to take the fall when it has to fully shut down.

Kusagari

Molyneux is a giant piece of shit. The fact he's still acting like he'll change this kids life is disgusting.

How can anyone still defend this turd?

Cuburt

I don't doubt it's going to happen. It must happen because of all of these big reveals and promises.
I know he doesn't really know much about who Molyneux is, but if he did, I doubt he'd be saying this.

This some bullshit and Godus sounds like the worse outcomes of Kickstarted games put into open beta/Early Access has come to represent.

Molyneux insists 22Cans is in rude health, with the mobile version of Godus pulling in enough money to keep the company going. But what of the future of the game? He confirms the Godus development team has shrunk considerably to just a few people as resources are diverted to a new game, called The Trail.

Molyneux is a complete scam artist/con man. I had almost forgotten until I began to read that article and let the bullshit begin to sink in. There have been some developers that people have had their reputations utterly ripped to shreds for even a fraction of what this man has done. Why is he still able to work his con in this industry?

Cuburt

Why didn't Eurogamer take Molyneux to task?

Even as someone who isn't familiar with the development of Godus, I can see how flimsy his excuses are. Eurogamer asks softball questions like "Can you guarantee there will be multplayer?"

They are asking a man who's company couldn't hold up on promises to the winner, promises to the kickstarter backers, promises to the community paying for them to fund a different game to give them another promise? A man who has a reputation for making outlandish promises he doesn't fulfill???

Eurogamer dropped the ball. The whole article reads like someone who doesn't want to cast doubt or really question what Molyneux says even when presenting info that points to the contrary. It's so impotent when there is a juicy story of another mismanaged indie project that happened to wrangle in some unsuspecting 18 year old, and instead it's writing about how unremarkable the kid is and what music he likes and how much he was shocked about winning and how much he doesn't care about it not happening.

They even managed to type this sentence without a hint of irony.
But there is one thing different about Bryan, and that is a couple of years ago he was promised the world by one of our most legendary video game developers.

I hope this whole ordeal finally blows up in Molyneux's face.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
so when did Populus drop? This could in fact be hard science on just how long it takes good will to burn out.

How anyone could have thought investing in a Kickstarter run by Peter M was a good idea I will never know.

Falk

that puzzling face
How anyone could have thought investing in a Kickstarter run by Peter M was a good idea I will never know.

In all honesty, had Godus been marketed as simply "A spiritual succesor to Populous, no bullshit, no promising, no nothing" and was simply intended to be a single player PC God game like From Dust, I would have been hyped.

Instead, from start to end it reeked of characteristic Molyneux. Especially coming hot on the heels of Curiosity.

I mean, really. The fact that From Dust and stuff like War for the Overworld exist shows there's a demand for more along those lines. Instead, the poor guy is internally compelled to go beyond that, reach for the stars and promise an unbelievably life changing, amazing, amazing, utterly unique, never-done-before, wonderful game
idea

Cipherr

UlWTPdZ.png

IuVkKOt.png

maxcriden

Finally read this. Wow, that was really brutal to read. I hope Bryan gets all the good karma back from this that he so rightly deserves. He's been a real trooper about it, that's for sure.

Top Bottom