• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Life Kickstarter campaign launched

sublimit

Banned
Good-Life-Kickstarter_03-26-18.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/476090608/the-good-life

The Good Life Kickstarter Trailer 2018 March
The Good Life Comparison Images Previous/New

What is The Good Life?

• Platforms: PlayStation 4, PC (Steam)
  • Genre: Debt Repayment Daily Life Action Adventure
  • Players: 1
  • Multiplayer: Yes / Online
  • Full Controller Support / Key Board and Mouse Support: Yes
  • Visual Target: Real-Time Rendering in 3DCG
  • Player POV: Third-Person (the camera follows the player from behind)
  • Price: $29 (PC) / $39 (PlayStation 4)
  • Release Date: Q3 2019
  • Creator, Writer, Director: Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro
  • Development Director: Yukio Futatsugi (G-rounding)
  • Art Director: Noboru Hotta (G-rounding)
  • Production / Copyrights: White Owls, Inc.
  • Development: G-rounding
The Good Life is a debt repayment daily life RPG co-developed by Swery’s White Owls Inc. and a development team led by Yukio Futatsugi, the creator of Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust.

The Good Life is a Daily Life Simulator x Swerism.

You like bizarre and mysterious things? You like unique and memorable characters? You want to enjoy a game that offers a lot of freedom, but you also want to enjoy a good story?

Think that’s too much to ask for? Not in The Good Life! This game is made for you!

Play as Naomi, a journalist from New York who moves to a backwoods British town called Rainy Woods in order to pay off her massive debt.

The only way for her to escape from debt hell is to take pictures of happenings in the town and report on them. Of course, ‘the happiest town in the world’ is not your average town…

The inhabitants of the happiest town in the world are some of the most bizarre people you’ll ever come across. You’ll live alongside them as you solve mysteries and experience a hearty helping of craziness. We’re sure that you’ll eventually come to love all the mystery, horror, and good old charm that this town has to offer.
https://gematsu.com/2018/03/good-life-kickstarter-campaign-launched

I haven't played any Suehiro game before (although i've had Deadly Premonition in my backlog for ages) but this looks very interesting. I like mystery novels and puzzles and the setting is very atmospheric.It also looks like they have improved the graphics a lot while also keeping the stylization which is good.

I wonder if i should back it up. I really like what i see but i'm not a big fan of kickstarter.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
i backed it, but may just back out as the PS4 copy is outrageously expensive, as I see it hitting the $15 price point the first 2 years after release, minimum

eme

haven't backed anything in a long good while

..backing this. grown up night-time-cat Animal Crossing + murder mystery got me hooked on the concept.

Fbh

I thought we had reached the poin where digital games like these weren't $10 more expensive on consoles "just because"

I thought we had reached the poin where digital games like these weren't $10 more expensive on consoles "just because"
Does Sony take their 30% off crowd funding codes? Steam lets developers generate as many codes as they want free of charge without royalties.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
i backed for the shitty overpriced PS4 copy, will probably back out once it's fully funded so i can grab it on a deep sale. i wish the PS4 physical was cheaper but since the digital copy is $40, but the physical makes it like $65 = NOPE

A new email update just arrived in my inbox. funny as how many real life occurances happen to naomi during her daily routines. i can';t wait to get annebriated and have her enter that facility with an expensive bill, i wonder is any quests arise once entering, exploring, coming clean? so many things being added to this game! but still the pricepoint is killing it for me.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
A few interesting bits from Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro's interview on Gematsu about The Good Life
The Good Life is the latest project from D4 and Deadly Premonition creator Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro. A “debt repayment daily life RPG” set in an British town where people transform into cats and dogs at night, the game is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter and is halfway to its 68 million yen goal with 12 days remaining.

Gematsu recently had the opportunity to submit questions to Swery, mostly gathered via users on Twitter and in the Gematsu Open Forum, for an e-mail interview as the Kickstarter nears its finish.

Get the interview below.

Did any specific video game titles or franchises influence the premise behind The Good Life?

Swery: “It’s been influenced by a lot of things, but I’m trying to make something that doesn’t exist anywhere else.”

Will The Good Life have voice acting? If so, will it be in English, Japanese, or both?

Swery: “There will be voice acting. Currently, we’re working with a Japanese company to do pre-production on the Japanese voices. The languages available will be decided based on the amount of backers we get.”

What is the estimated time for a single playthrough of The Good Life?

Swery: “It will take you around 10 hours to reach the ending, but we’re trying to make a game that you can go on playing forever.”

Given that the game uses a day / night system, can we expect citizens of the town to only be in certain places at certain times?

Swery: “It’s not a typical day / night system. It’s more of a 24-hour flow. The townspeople will make their own decisions based on their own unique desires, so what they do at certain times will differ by each player’s game.”

If the Kickstarter is funded, will there be any extra goals, such as more content or additional platforms?

Swery: “There are only 10 days left, so I’ll just say this: I’d like to do ports to other platforms, expand the town, and add new townspeople.”

What made you choose the game’s current platforms, PlayStation 4 and PC?

Swery: “They have the top two active user counts.”

More at the link:
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/intervi...-on-the-good-life-ahead-of-kickstarter-finish

JaffeLion

Banned
So, I don't get it. Why offer PC but not Xbox as a platform? Is it so difficult to port a PC game to xbox? I mean they are even Unity. Doesn't make any sense.

I will not invest, until XBOX is also supported platform. Fuck that.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
So, I don't get it. Why offer PC but not Xbox as a platform? Is it so difficult to port a PC game to xbox? I mean they are even Unity. Doesn't make any sense.

I will not invest, until XBOX is also supported platform. Fuck that.
b/c the userbase for XB is tremendously lower than PC and then Sony

Top Bottom