• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: Support for Le Pen surges in rural France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her party’s central message of keeping France for the French – giving priority to French people over non-nationals in jobs, housing and welfare, as well as a ban on religious symbols, including the Muslim headscarf, from all public places – has a resonance in rural communities, even where immigration is very scarce.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

So many rural folks tend to be very walled off from other ethnicities, immigrants, etc... and yet have this burning desire to fuck "others" over, sometimes even fucking themselves over in the process.

Hot trash, the whole lot of them.

Nabbis

Trump will never be president...

Oh get over yourself, the world is not US. No one in Europe even has a two-party system for starters. That alone diminishes any political power a single individual or party can wield. Not to mention the cultural and administrative nuances that are different between each country...

oti

Banned
Germany also seems to be fending off far-right sentiment pretty well, too. Countries that have experience with fascism tend to be pretty suspicious of it. Go figure.

The AfD did poll pretty high here and there in Germany for a while though. Thankfully the real parties have upped their game and the AfD is about to implode.

mo60

Pretty much. Just today Trump effectively endorsed her.

US and Russia are basically pushing the same far right xenophobic candidate at the moment.

Trump's pretty unpopular in France compared to Obama who wished one of the other candidates Macron good luck recently. Trump's endorsement of her won't help her much.

If Macron gets to the second round le pen will be lose in a massive landslide. She has a high chance of losing to anyone besides Maybe fillon.

disco

Lol

uUH6iZx.jpg
Gay men have the potential to be more right wing (and more left wing) than heterosexuals. This doesn't surprise me.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Rural areas were a mistake. Can't wait for agriculture to be fully automated.

Yeah fuck all those hardworking people who are scared they're losng their livelihood and have literally no where to go now.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but wishing ill on them is unfair.

Xando

Trump's pretty unpopular in France compared to Obama who wished one of the other candidates Macron good luck recently. His endorsement of her won't help her much.
I know. What i'm saying is that it's obvious that the US and Russia both have the same agenda which is pushing the far right candidate to cause divisions and destabilization all over europe.

Support for FN in rural France has been "surging" for years, this isn't really breaking news.
Yeah, it's a bit sensationalist.
Even if there's a truth to this territorial divide, it's a bit of a broad brush. Shrinking small town dynamics aren't the same as those of struggling independent farmers. Not all these small towns are necessarily post-industrial wastelands. And this doesn't account for newer peripheral zones that aren't rural either, just newer, distant suburbs. Economic anxiety, identity concerns or a perception of social injustice can be factors just as much as insularity or a failing access to education for example.
Nevermind that this doesn't account for all these struggling places that don't vote for Le Pen.

From a qualitative PoV, Aubenas did an incredible job at Le Monde between 2012 and 2014, capturing stories of what was happening in all these very diverse territories. She definitely captured that rise in popularity but abstained from any kind of judgmental criticism or patronizing punditry while doing so. Her articles were compiled in a great little book called En France.

Hypron

Hasn't she been going down in polls recently?
At least that's what I picked up from the French elections thread.

FyreWulff

Yeah, that sounds about right.

So many rural folks tend to be very walled off from other ethnicities, immigrants, etc... and yet have this burning desire to fuck "others" over, sometimes even fucking themselves over in the process.

Hot trash, the whole lot of them.

the irony is rural communities and small towns often have the most "alternate justice system/laws" and so on in the first place. like you have to be a direct descendant of the mayor of the town that won the seat in 1940 because that family has run the city since then onwards if you want to get anything done or get a good job.

Azzanadra

You know, a lot of this can be blamed on the left in Europe for not taking the L on Islam, especially when the right wing...does have a point. I abhor any sort of prejudice and racism against Muslims, but like can't be have an honest and intellectual discussion about Islam and the problem with open borders without accusations of racism?

Foffy

Banned
Ohp, saw the remark about jobs in the OP...

La Pen has them. Just lie about restoration campaigns, and the jobs cult culture will run right into her fucking arms. They did the same with Trump.

The future is neonationalism until we plan a new social order and vision. :(

We are not ready for the fucking future, and this is a sign more than anything else of it. The future is precarious work, not the return to the 1980s way of careers and jobs. This needs to be admitted and planned around.

You think it's clever but really it just shows a severe lack of knowledge about other countries' political context.

I don't think either of them are trying to be clever. People have watched as far right groups have grabbed onto two countries (UK and the US), and I think they're understandably nervous whenever an election approaches featuring one of those types of candidates as a possible winner. I know people are now saying that Europe isn't the US, but that is literally the reverse of what people who were confident of Hillary's win were saying about Trump. Yes, politics in different countries is different. But overconfidence seems to be what is making the type of posters that you quoted so nervous.

Madness

GAF is gonna need to take a chill pill on Sunday when Marine wins the first round.
Calm down, guys. It's going to be a lot tougher for her than it was for Trump.
I mean, nothing's impossible but it's a long shot.

The fact that Marine Le Pen will even win the first round of a French Presidential election is telling enough. What Americans think of David Duke is what French thought of Marine Le Pen and her father 15-20 years ago. Now far right ultranationalism is more than 30% of yhe country and growing each year. She still does not have outright support to win the second round, but it is only a matter of time.

azyless

You know, a lot of this can be blamed on the left in Europe for not taking the L on Islam, especially when the right wing...does have a point. I abhor any sort of prejudice and racism against Muslims, but like can't be have an honest and intellectual discussion about Islam and the problem with open borders without accusations of racism?
What open borders and why are they a problem ?
The fact that Marine Le Pen will even win the first round of a French Presidential election is telling enough. What Americans think of David Duke is what French thought of Marine Le Pen and her father 15-20 years ago. Now far right ultranationalism is more than 30% of yhe country and growing each year. She still does not have outright support to win the second round, but it is only a matter of time.
Where are you getting this from ?

If you actually thought that, you wouldn't be shifting the blame from those voting for the extreme right.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Everybody knows that a honest and especially intellectual discussion on any topic starts with somebody "taking the L" on the said topic.

This election's outcome and data will be interesting and might show something entirely different but these last few years, her electoral performance has relied much more on low turnouts and a generally negative perception of politics than on a spectacular growth of her voting base. Her best path to winning isn't for 50% of the population to agree with her ideas, it's for enough people to simply stop caring.

Judging by the rest of your post, I sincerely doubt that.

only start panicking if it's Fillon vs Le Pen or Mélanchon vs Le Pen passing to Round 2.

Macron is France's only hope.

Macron is shit.

All the policy he did with Hollande amounted to nothing (as in unemployment and GDP growth basically stayed the same), he'll just give more to corporation and the people will still be fucked.

At least he's ok with his international policies which might be why you're saying that.

No, that would be common sense and people can't have any of that.

keuja

Macron is shit.

All the policy he did with Hollande amounted to nothing (as in unemployment and GDP growth basically stayed the same), he'll just give more to corporation and the people will still be fucked.

At least he's ok with his international policies which might be why you're saying that.

All the other candidates are even shittier. Fillon is a crook, and with Lepen or Mélenchon, the economy will go down the drain (among other things like one of them being a fucking racist).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom