• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: Support for Le Pen surges in rural France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
Or you can apply Occams Razor that suggests recent reported news coverage about terror action has a direct link to support the equal reaction on the political side. Rather than Russia's spreading of fake news having any similar effect.

Why not both? We don't live in a philosophical vacuum in which one solution is the only solution.

France is almost 90% white IIRC

Most of Europe is still largely white. Major popular centres are the exception, and globally (at least on racial, rather than ethnic measures), the Americas are kind of odd in that regard.

Ultimately though, the obsession with the common farmer/rural person as the true soul of the country or whatever is something that dates back to Roman times on this continent. As democracy slowly but surely ceded actual power to them, that notion has only risen over the ages.

daviyoung

Banned
You asked for evidence, the evidence was presented, now you're talking about something completely different.

Nope, it was all in my original post. The Russians were blamed for story in OP, I asked for evidence of that Russian meddling, Russian meddling evidence had nothing to do with recent events that could have explained the story in OP.

Why not both? We don't live in a philosophical vacuum in which one solution is the only solution.

Because one post particularly called out Russia as an explanation. If there are multiple factors then they must be the ultimate Orchestra conductors to control every aspect of every election of all these countries.

Arttemis

Or you can apply Occams Razor that suggests recent reported news coverage about terror action has a direct link to support the equal reaction on the political side. Rather than Russia's spreading of fake news having any similar effect.

Occam's Razor would indicate that the big bear nuclear power that has been meddling in democratic elections for two years pushing for isolationist, xenophobic, right wingers IS STILL doing it.

RCSI

I feel a sickening deja vu.

I keep thinking of the following quote in regards to France, especially after Brexit and Trump.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us." - Stephen King

After the last two events, don't underestimate the populist candidates or policy positions.

I keep thinking of the following quote in regards to France, especially after Brexit and Trump.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us." - Stephen King

After the last two events, don't underestimate the populist candidates or policy positions.

Casually ignoring Geert Wilders doing worse than even the polls said he would. Brexit was LEADING the poll for weeks, Trump was polling closely for the last month of the campaign. On the other hand, Le Pen is polling like garbage in the runoff. She would have two weeks to erase a 15+ point deficit if she even makes the runoff.

Nafai1123

Banned
Nope, it was all in my original post. The Russians were blamed for story in OP, I asked for evidence of that Russian meddling, Russian meddling evidence had nothing to do with recent events that could have explained the story in OP.

Because one post particularly called out Russia as an explanation. If there are multiple factors then they must be the ultimate Orchestra conductors to control every aspect of every election of all these countries.

You are being intellectually dishonest. Someone can vote based on fake news propagated by Russia, and someone else can vote the same way because of recent terrorist events. There is no need for the "ultimate Orchestra conductors to control every aspect of every election," they just need to influence the election enough to change the results, and given the sophistication and complexity of their efforts, it's completely ludicrous to believe that Russia has absolutely no influence.

azyless

Support for FN in rural France has been "surging" for years, this isn't really breaking news.

Yet another thread to see americans tell us how Le Pen is a "foregone conclusion" though, nice.

Toparaman

Banned
We're already deep into the second gilded age. I await the great wars as racism, resentment, and nationalism take hold.

Thanks Boomers. Heck of a job you did.

Are boomers to blame for the younger generations not turning out to vote?

We had our chance to stop Brexit and Trump, and many of us didn't take it.

anaron

I seriously cannot wait for old people to die off.
Lol

uUH6iZx.jpg

Support for FN in rural France has been "surging" for years, this isn't really breaking news.

Yet another thread to see americans tell us how Le Pen is a "foregone conclusion" though, nice.

It's almost like they want people to vote in ways they deem "wrong" so they can go on these "fuck the world, let's all die" diatribes they love. It's a fucking joke.

Zubz

Banned
I'm now confident this will happen. We are witnessing terrible times.

Definitely. I can only hope this blows up in Russia's face before the French suffer their Trump/Brexit/other objectively idiotic idea that gets through because of districting & appealing to sheltered bigots.

And don't underestimate the fact that she's 20 points behind Macron in the second round. And that Hillary would have won with the French voting system.
Of course we should be worried and stay on our toes in regards to Le Pen... But a direct comparison to America and the UK is too easy of a narrative to make. The numbers are completely different.

daviyoung

Banned
You are being intellectually dishonest. Someone can vote based on fake news propagated by Russia, and someone else can vote the same way because of recent terrorist events. There is no need for the "ultimate Orchestra conductors to control every aspect of every election," they just need to influence the election enough to change the results, and given the sophistication and complexity of their efforts, it's completely ludicrous to believe that Russia has absolutely no influence.

Just saying 'the Russians' in any topic about right wing parties is being intellectually dishonest to the point that it's some low-ball meme that immediately nets you knowing-nod points. If there is a discussion to be had about Russia's involvement it would be when there is proof of its influence away from more immediate events that could cause spikes in performance unless that Russian influence can be proven to cause that spike, which in this case it can't.

And don't underestimate the fact that she's 20 points behind Macron in the second round. And that Hillary would have won with the French voting system.
Of course we should be worried and stay on our toes in regards to Le Pen... But direct comparisons to America and the UK is too easy of a narrative to make. The numbers are completely different.

If she loses, will these people shut up for a while with this concern trolling or will they just move on to the next election featuring a far right candidate?

Nabbis

Yeah, it does tend to get a little myopic here from US posters regarding foreign politics. Even this thread echoes the rise of far right in Europe but at the same time True Finns, which are more left than democrats on numerous issues, just suffered a major defeat in Finland.

Oh look at this, another thread with a bunch of people predicting the future because "X and Y" happened in the past and think that LePen is now a shoe-in because of some amorphous blob and posting meme images as if they're 100% guaranteed to shut down an argument.

RPGCrazied

And Trump isn't helping matters saying she is strong with borders. Don't forget Putin donated millions of dollars to her and visited her. This is what Putin wants. Once again Trump ties himself to him.

Xando

If she loses, will these people shut up for a while with this concern trolling or will they just move on to the next election featuring a far right candidate?
They all gonna jump on the german train next and tell us how AFD will win (currently polling at 7-12%).

Americans, Russians and the Brits are all effectively trying to push their right wing propaganda everywhere now. Especially the english speaking media is ridiculous.

Aurongel

GAF is gonna need to take a chill pill on Sunday when Marine wins the first round.
Calm down, guys. It's going to be a lot tougher for her than it was for Trump.
I mean, nothing's impossible but it's a long shot.
Have we learned nothing from our past collective hubris...?

RCSI

Of course we should be worried and stay on our toes in regards to Le Pen... But direct comparisons to America and the UK is too easy of a narrative to make. The numbers are completely different.

Based on prior comments and the polls in the French Presidential Election Thread, thanks for informing me of the chances in the second round.

It's not hubris to present the facts as they currently stand. If her runoff polling improves to within the margin for statistical error, then you can concern troll. As it stands now, her position has weakened and there is a real chance of her not even being in the runoff if Fillon or Melenchon over perform.

oti

Banned

Also fun how those posters forgot about Austria and the Netherlands already.

You know, because you made bad choices, doesn't mean everyone will follow suit. Look at Spain and Portugal for heaven's sake. They're immune to the far right.

Lautaro

France doesn't have a shitty electoral system like the US so I remain hopeful for the 2nd. round.

The "yass queen" crowd is not the whole forum. In fact I see many of them becoming total defeatists now.

Fularu

Banned
If the second round is between Le Pen and Melanchon all bets are off

And this has a real chance of happening

You know, because you made bad choices, doesn't mean everyone will follow suit. Look at Spain and Portugal for heaven's sake. They're immune to the far right.

You tend to form all kinds of blind spots when you engage in narrative building.

Xando

Le Pen's probably going to win. Let's just hope we can wait out the 5-10 years it takes to save the world.
What suggests to you that she's gonna win?
Please point me to actual data that makes you think she's not only going to win the first round but also the second round.

Nafai1123

Banned
Just saying 'the Russians' in any topic about right wing parties is being intellectually dishonest to the point that it's some low-ball meme that immediately nets you knowing-nod points. If there is a discussion to be had about Russia's involvement it would be when there is proof of its influence away from more immediate events that could cause spikes in performance unless that Russian influence can be proven to cause that spike, which in this case it can't.

There's no point arguing this with you. A country is investing billions pushing nationalist far-right political parties across the globe. Trying to dismiss that is as pointless as trying to dismiss that people fall for fake news.

Germany also seems to be fending off far-right sentiment pretty well, too. Countries that have experience with fascism tend to be pretty suspicious of it. Go figure.

TyrantII

Are boomers to blame for the younger generations not turning out to vote?

We had our chance to stop Brexit and Trump, and many of us didn't take it.

The younger generation is complicit. But the Boomers are our leaders who currently set policy and steer these nations. They're the ones at the wheel, and history will judge them as the driver right or wrong.

Lucumo

Rural areas were a mistake. Can't wait for agriculture to be fully automated.

What a shitty first post.

Do you think those people can afford to live in a city?

It always depends on the person. The younger ones certainly can, as it's easy to find a job in the city. The problem is that politics and the industry have been bleeding the rural areas dry while supporting the growth of cities.

Cipherr

The rise of racism would be sorted too, because why do people become scared of others? Because there aren't any jobs left ... As soon as a foreigner arrives, they say: ‘Oh no, he's going to take the jobs'. If there were more jobs, people would be happy to see foreigners, there would be no more fear."
aAAmAlX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom