• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Holy shit Chewey put up a video that I could have used fucking months ago. In the top 5 things a white belt should learn to do, this is probably number two or three and it took me months to get it. Where were you when I needed you Chewie?!

How to breathe while doing jiu jitsu

And he put up a new video for the colored belts:

What are my responsibilities as a colored belt?

I still look up to colored belts like superheroes. I have to prepare myself for this one day. My coach is always supportive. "Good job!" he tells me when I learn a new, uncomfortable, weird technique and recognizes I'm trying hard. When I'm feeling down about my progress, he pep talks me like a real coach would do. He really inspires me, and I consider him a good friend. Watching Chewey's video reminds me of him and made me smile as I watched the video, but really, I truly think this starts at the top. My professor is welcoming and funny and his positivity is infectious. He can scope out a room and give advice to each person. You can tell that my coach, his star student, got this open arms approach from our professor, and everyone treats everyone like that. I really feel grateful for the school I'm at.

Great that you found a good home.

Anyone see the movie Get Out? Jiu Jitsu is discussed during a dinner scene. The brother of the girl sizes up her boyfriend, compliments his physicality, then proceeds to tell him about the effectiveness of jiu jitsu, then wants to demonstrate a technique. Hahahaha.

Great that you found a good home.

Anyone see the movie Get Out? Jiu Jitsu is discussed during a dinner scene. The brother of the girl sizes up her boyfriend, compliments his physicality, then proceeds to tell him about the effectiveness of jiu jitsu, then wants to demonstrate a technique. Hahahaha.

I kept expecting there to be an awesome BJJ fight in that movie but it never happened :(

I haven't seen Get Out yet unfortunately. Is it on Blu ray yet?

I don't show anyone techniques. I try to not talk about it with other people unless they train a martial art. One time I was reading a Jiu Jitsu book at work during lunch break and co-worker tries to show me these moves and shit. Grabs my arm without me asking, and I'm getting nervous and stuff. "That stuff doesn't work on multiple people" people would tell me when they saw what I was reading. Everyone's an expert apparently, so I just leave it alone and don't mention it. I couldn't imagine bringing up Jiu Jitsu at the dinner table. You just KNOW some person is going to go "do a technique to me!" and then they get injured because they don't respect the tap and will bitch and yadda yadda yadda or they'll be like "let me show you this move I watched in a movie once."

So no, I don't talk about it. ��

What are your thoughts on these type of videos? Gracie Breakdown just recently put this video out and it's really controversial - just read the comments.

It is NEVER the victim's fault

I remember a similar video having similar controversy when I first started jiu jitsu and typed "jiu jitsu + women" into Youtube:

Why women should train Jiu Jitsu

What are your thoughts on these types of ads? It seems to draw out every fucker with an opinion.

Honestly the most offensive thing I have to say about the Gracie Breakdown video is that there are SHOES ON A MAT. Blasphemy. I know it's an ad but seeing shoes on a mat just makes me want to cry.

Goofalo

I don't think the video is controversial. I think many of the commenters are assholes.

This kind of leads into why I don't discuss my jiu jitsu much with others, I was at a gathering and this guy, I think he was the boyfriend of a sister of someone in our group of friends, someone with a couple degrees of separation away from us. He's telling this group of people that he does krav, and he's had a gallon of the Kool-Aid that goes with that, about how its Israeli Death Touch Magic. I can already tell I want to avoid him for the evening. I'm trying to get a drink unnoticed, when someone in the group says, "Hey Goofalo, you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, right?" And this guy's immediate reaction is:

"Oh, that's that SJW shit. You're in touch with your femininity and lay down and spread your legs."

Yup. Don't talk about jiu jitsu with anyone outside of my school or another person who does jiu jitsu anymore.

I'm lucky in that the only people outside of the Internet that I talk to about BJJ are my brother in law who's a trained Mixed martial artist with a few pro fights to his name, and a couple of guys in work who are into MMA so they are at least interested and don't think it's some board breaking kung fury shit.

Krav is a weird one in that I think it's actually got some applicable uses like kicking someone in the balls is never not effective but if you think it's gonna save you against multiple attackers or someone with legit BJJ you're fucking wrong

orangutan_square.jpg

First time back on the mats since december! Graduation today so the place was packed. Think there must have been 100-150 people!

I dead.. left knee is swollen, left elbow hurts, can't really look right due to neck pain. *sigh*

Felt my skillz were sharp, but my power is totally weakened. Def felt way way weaker and I just got crushed. Face is totally messed up with cuts and red rash from being face planted and cross faced.

Missed it a lot. Think I am gonna have to keep it at once a week and gradually let my body readjust, or injuries will just take me out again.
After I got home I slept six hours, and elevated the knee. It's only a bit swollen but I cannot fully extent it. Was a bit irritated from the running I've been doing for the last month or so.

What are your thoughts on these type of videos? Gracie Breakdown just recently put this video out and it's really controversial - just read the comments.

It is NEVER the victim's fault

What are your thoughts on these types of ads? It seems to draw out every fucker with an opinion.

Honestly the most offensive thing I have to say about the Gracie Breakdown video is that there are SHOES ON A MAT. Blasphemy. I know it's an ad but seeing shoes on a mat just makes me want to cry.

I get the impression that many of these toxic comments are not from the BJJ community but perhaps people from the overall MMA community. This is not something I'd imagine someone who does BJJ would say.
Every person I've met who has trained would applaud and support ads that make a honest attempt at showing something that is very complicated in and of itself, and perhaps quite intimidating to women.
I think the music and the tone of the voice is a bit over the top, but I like what the video is doing. I believe in BJJ as self defense, and I think it's really good as a defense against rape.

aqkYP.gif

Reminds me a bit of this gif with a japanese woman surplexing a thief who tries to take her purse. If you've ever been thrown, you wouldn't talk shit about a small feeble women. I cannot even imagine what it feels like to get grapple off the mat but outside. It pains me just thinking about it.

I'm trying to get a drink unnoticed, when someone in the group says, "Hey Goofalo, you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, right?" And this guy's immediate reaction is:

"Oh, that's that SJW shit. You're in touch with your femininity and lay down and spread your legs."

Sounds like something a insecure guy would say. Perhaps a bit of freudian slip with his own homophobia?

Besides that, I don't see the point in looking down on other martial arts. I don't want to spend my time demeaning other peoples preferences. If their insecurities about their own sexuality keep them from seeing benefits to grappling, then that is their loss. I really just feel sorry for them and for how it must be to live your life like that living in denial and having angst over homophobic and toxic masculine ideas about what a capable man is.
My cousin trained Krav, and he also said BJJ was completely useless (along with MMA). his chain punches from wing chun was so deadly, that, that was the reason you didn't saw it in MMA. Too dangerous for MMA. 5 punches per second.
Also, he said that other martial arts didn't work because he would kick them in the balls, or kick them in the knee.

The best for me, was not really to engage with my cousin even though he wanted to. I just laughed, and said I enjoyed it (BJJ) and that I thought it was fun. That left him unsatisfied because he expected some defense he could retort.
Which is the feeling I get a lot of the time from these sorts of misinformed statements. People are not really interested in having a conversation or listening to others, but simply to reaffirm what they want to believe, and there is just not helping or convincing these people.

People react really differently when they hear I do BJJ.
People at my Uni think I am some sort of bad ass (which makes me laugh), my best friends think I am a goofball (I always make fun of failures and embarrassments and other awkward moments. The stories I tell is mostly about how I slip a fart, or faceplant during a takedown. It's just self deprecating, and I love that they roast me like that xD), my mom think that what I do is dangerous, my brother (who also trained) knows exactly what I do.

I too don't bring it up but I often get asked what I do to stay in shape so I mention BJJ. If the person isn't familiar I say it's a martial art and leave it at that. If they are familiar they associate it with UFC and assume I train in a cage.

Yeah I don't think those people are people who actually train...you know, Jiu Jitsu. Read the comments on Breakdown's Facebook and they're much more positive. Someone who doesn't train has like no reason to like Gracie Breakdown or Mr. Jiu-Jitsu on Facebook. I think they're mma fans as well.

I refuse to believe someone who trains jits, someone who trains in personal situations and places full trust into a partner, of all stripes, colors, nationalities, rank, skill, and gender would have a problem with those videos. Since we fully know just how vulnerable people are in physical alterations since we train how to literally get out of them.

Honestly, the mix of mma fans into Jiu Jitsu potentially harms the art because you have these assholes who don't train but associate to the art because they watch mma, which has a history with the art. Then you go to an actual Jiu Jitsu school (non-mma school) and it's actually just a bunch of nerds.

If someone asks what bjj is and tries to link it to mma I automatically recoil and correct them: nah, because I refuse to be associated with most mma fans.

I don't think the video is controversial. I think many of the commenters are assholes.

This kind of leads into why I don't discuss my jiu jitsu much with others, I was at a gathering and this guy, I think he was the boyfriend of a sister of someone in our group of friends, someone with a couple degrees of separation away from us. He's telling this group of people that he does krav, and he's had a gallon of the Kool-Aid that goes with that, about how its Israeli Death Touch Magic. I can already tell I want to avoid him for the evening. I'm trying to get a drink unnoticed, when someone in the group says, "Hey Goofalo, you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, right?" And this guy's immediate reaction is:

Yup. Don't talk about jiu jitsu with anyone outside of my school or another person who does jiu jitsu anymore.

Were you tempted to demonstrate a kimura during that moment cuz, I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you did.

What, why'd you stop training? I hope you're okay dude.

Post some gifs. We need your gifs.

Goofalo

Were you tempted to demonstrate a kimura during that moment cuz, I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you did.

I did scan the room to see if there was enough space to drop seo nagi him. Then I could go into an easy armbar.

But I just stared at him and said "Wow, you should like a real rapey asshole." And just walked away.

mujun

I hardly ever mention that I do MMA or No Gi. I'm not the type to get into details of myself unless someone asks.

I must admit I would be happy if someone thought they knew better and wanted to put my training to the test. I'd invite them into the gym to put some pads on or roll a few rounds on the ground.

Interesting video. Practice squeezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtNkDKtKNxA&feature=share < I've seen videos of Eddie Bravo talking about this where when he is watching TV or just relaxing he is always trying to squeeze on himself. My guillotine is total garbage so this is interesting to me!

What, why'd you stop training? I hope you're okay dude.

Post some gifs. We need your gifs.

Had so many injuries. I just needed to rest for some mont

hs! I'm hanging on by bandages xD

And gifs?

A brawl from sweden! The drunk lady goes on a security guard. Really clean double leg!

That poor woman.

I'm glad you healed up. 5 months without jiu jitsu must be tough. Now you're nice and fresh and can work on getting that purple belt of yours experience!

Is there an aikido system that implements sparring?

I know some karate dojos include jiu jitsu and rolling into their curriculum. Certainly aikido can do something similar?

Honestly, what was most striking in the video was the amount of times he gave his back to the mma fighter. I'm surprised they don't learn technical stand ups in aikido since it's a jiu jitsu lineage art like judo, which also has technical stand ups. Fucking bizarre.

Goofalo

Is there an aikido system that implements sparring?

I know some karate dojos include jiu jitsu and rolling into their curriculum. Certainly aikido can do something similar?

Honestly, what was most striking in the video was the amount of times he gave his back to the mma fighter. I'm surprised they don't learn technical stand ups in aikido since it's a jiu jitsu lineage art like judo, which also has technical stand ups. Fucking bizarre.

I've never seen an aikido school that incorporates it. I tried it for a year, and all the sparring is complaint sparring. One person knows they are going to attack, and the other knows they are going to counter.

Honor and previledge to be coaching my gym's morning class for a week and a half while the professor is off to Spain to compete in the Barcelona Open.

Screw techniques, I gotta figure out my music playlist for the classes.

I love those classes where you work on just the thing you needed to work on and it reveals some extra detail to the technique that's game changing.

Honor and previledge to be coaching my gym's morning class for a week and a half while the professor is off to Spain to compete in the Barcelona Open.

Screw techniques, I gotta figure out my music playlist for the classes.

Add this to your playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLzCABrB9U

bLDimVD.gif

And congrats on earning your professors trust like that.

And congrats on earning your professors trust like that.
Thanks.

Sucks, I had "BJJ politics" interfere with seeing old friends this week. The old gym I trained at as a white belt and got my blue belt from is having a big seminar this weekend. Old training partners and even a co-owner invited me to go. I replied yes but then remembered the black belt head instructor unfriended me from social media because I left their school to join a new school (that closed after a yr) that was opened by one of their coaches. The coach that opened the school didn't get their blessing and was labeled a "creonte" along with myself and a very small handful that followed.

Unfortunate that we participate in this sport which bonds like no other. Meaning we literally share blood, sweat, and tears with our instructors and training partners. However, gyms are a business with paying members at the end of the day. Regardless of how gym owners use words like "loyalty" and "family."

I moved on to a new big gym now with members in the hundreds. Turnover is high but its got a steady flow of new members. The term "Team" is used instead of family and it's far more fitting.

Goofalo

The creonte thing is so dumb. And the person who it's accredited to, Carlson, his team doesn't even care about that stuff anymore. Liborio made up with Carlson Gracie Team, Carlson schools have hosted Ze Mario Sperry seminars. People who still abide by that are dumb.

Question for those who are taking or have taken BJJ classes. Is it a bad idea to take BJJ if I have a tendency to get injured and still have nagging injuries that will probably give me issues the rest of my life? I have two knees that can get tendinitis flare ups if I walk long distances and can feel sore after doing squats. My right elbow aches when I pull on something a certain way, likely a tear that will take a lot of time to heal. I pulled my back very badly about 6 months ago and it took almost 2 weeks for it to heal. I'm interested in BJJ because I want to learn self defense, but I don't know if it's too "risky" for an injury prone person. Despite being injury prone, I consider myself pretty athletic in that I used to play basketball regularly and other sports.

Edit: also pretty sure I have a mild issue with my disc. My toes can tingle and feel numb at times. Probably due to bad deadlift form a long time ago.

Can you make up with your old professor? Is he Brazilian?
Yup, old school Brazilian. Time heals, I'm sure I can.
Question for those who are taking or have taken BJJ classes. Is it a bad idea to take BJJ if I have a tendency to get injured and still have nagging injuries that will probably give me issues the rest of my life? I have two knees that can get tendinitis flare ups if I walk long distances and can feel sore after doing squats. My right elbow aches when I pull on something a certain way, likely a tear that will take a lot of time to heal. I pulled my back very badly about 6 months ago and it took almost 2 weeks for it to heal. I'm interested in BJJ because I want to learn self defense, but I don't know if it's too "risky" for an injury prone person. Despite being injury prone, I consider myself pretty athletic in that I used to play basketball regularly and other sports.

Edit: also pretty sure I have a mild issue with my disc. My toes can tingle and feel numb at times. Probably due to bad deadlift form a long time ago.
I got osteoarthritis in my knees and had to give up basketball, jogging, etc. BJJ kept me active and my knees never felt better.

Try a free class, it can change your life.

Go to a school and talk to the professor (black belt). Express your concerns, see what they say, schedule a free trial.

Yup, old school Brazilian. Time heals, I'm sure I can.

See what you can do before the seminar. Have you thought of going over there and explaining?

Goofalo

I am an old who has a lifetime of broken toes and feet, ankle, and knee injuries from 20+ years of taekwondo, and some Muay Thai. Get knee pads and elbow guards. And you should be ok. I had to wear knee pads for a while when I first started and I have elbow bursitis in both arms, but I've had 0 flare ups from BJJ.

Do it. Do the BJJ.

pr0cs

Go to a school and talk to the professor (black belt). Express your concerns, see what they say, schedule a free trial.
Good idea but remember that you WILL be sore no matter how good /bad shape you're in your first few classes.
Just remember that usually if you can handle the first few then continuing on shouldn't be a problem if you rest, stretch and take care of yourself

If you do jiu jitsu long enough you WILL get injured. Out of the five main martial arts that make up MMA (boxing, kickboxing/MuayThai, wrestling, bjj, and the great crippler, judo) its probably the safest and easiest to reduce your risk. But you WILL get injured.

Things you can do to reduce your risk:

1) Check out the gym culture before you go. See if you can observe a class before you take a trial. Things to look for: fundamental level classes (although it shouldn't cost extra to roll at higher level classes), positional sparring introduced before full sparring at the fundamental level, rolling with controlled upper belts that don't maul beginners.

2) Tap when you are caught, not when you feel pain.

3) Don't grab and hold onto your partner for dear life if you aren't training an actual technique.

4) Use your words - if something hurts, you tell a partner beforehand. If they target it, you don't roll with them anymore.

5) Learn your breakfalls

6) Play positions that keep you safe, not necessarily ones that are working well for you. For example, your closed guard might be your best position after a few months, but if you have neck and back problems, playing closed guard will exacerbate the problem.

Even with all this, I cannot stress enough that you WILL get injured. The goal is to see how much you like it - it might be worth it if you like it enough.

Since 2004, here is my list of injuries that have required me to go to a doctor: broke all metacarpals in my right hand, dislocated right pinky, perforated septum, torn right pec, torn left shoulder labrum, torn left knee meniscus, left elbow nerve damage, and subluxed sternum. Its not a cookie baking class, even in a safe room, you WILL get injured.

However, if you compare my injuries to yours, it seems like you're getting injured doing things you don't necessarily enjoy. At least I'm having a good time getting mine, haha.

Thanks.

Sucks, I had "BJJ politics" interfere with seeing old friends this week. The old gym I trained at as a white belt and got my blue belt from is having a big seminar this weekend. Old training partners and even a co-owner invited me to go. I replied yes but then remembered the black belt head instructor unfriended me from social media because I left their school to join a new school (that closed after a yr) that was opened by one of their coaches. The coach that opened the school didn't get their blessing and was labeled a "creonte" along with myself and a very small handful that followed.

Unfortunate that we participate in this sport which bonds like no other. Meaning we literally share blood, sweat, and tears with our instructors and training partners. However, gyms are a business with paying members at the end of the day. Regardless of how gym owners use words like "loyalty" and "family."

I moved on to a new big gym now with members in the hundreds. Turnover is high but its got a steady flow of new members. The term "Team" is used instead of family and it's far more fitting.

Haha its so stupid - you walk into your first gym usually on the basis of it being close to your house, and now you owe undying allegiance to some dude that wrestles well on the floor.

My mental exercise with this is the following: I pretend I'm playing ping pong instead of bjj. If what people says doesn't still make sense, its bullshit.

"You can't play ping pong with your friends who play on other tables!" Uhhhhh, nope.

"Only we know the TRUE ping pong" Uhhhh nope.

"Say YES SIR after every instruction I give you with ping pong" haha no way dude

You get the point. It works the other way too - students can have instructors that go out of their way for them, and the student shits all over them. In those cases, its like... "man, what he did would be messed up even if we were only on a ping pong team."

People that use the word "Family," always raise an eyebrow from me as well. Its definitely not everyone, but its a word scammers use a lot to pressure people into doing things they normally wouldn't be ok with.

Thanks.

Yeah I agree. BJJ Politics sucks.

My instructor made his own team called BJJ Globetrotters which is just a community for people who don't want to deal with all the bullshit. It's just about sharing Jiu-Jitsu.
Our facebook group is awesome. It has hundreds and hundreds of people asking for advice and good places where to train when they are traveling.

It's a shame when you go to a place and they won't accept guests or drop-bys, and they require you to wear their specific gi and all that. I think it's a damn shame because you can learn so much from visitors who have a different culture and approach to training and teaching!

Another tip is to stretch really deep and really good before and after class - yes, after. Also get plenty of water before and after class. A lot of the time soreness is due to lack of stretching (before or after, especially after) and a lack of water. There have been days early in the bjj journey when I am so sore that it hurts to walk (especially if we did 99999 triangle drills) but if I do a good stretch before class that pain is gone five minutes within class and I'm back to normal. Sometimes all you need to do is stretch some. Thankfully I've started to do yoga.

My instructor made his own team called BJJ Globetrotters which is just a community for people who don't want to deal with all the bullshit. It's just about sharing Jiu-Jitsu.
Our facebook group is awesome. It has hundreds and hundreds of people asking for advice and good places where to train when they are traveling.

It's a shame when you go to a place and they won't accept guests or drop-bys, and they require you to wear their specific gi and all that. I think it's a damn shame because you can learn so much from visitors who have a different culture and approach to training and teaching!

On the other hand I've dropped by plenty of places unannounced with just my gi to check them out and they let me have a free class right then and there. One thing you learn early is the community is tight knit. Don't talk shit about another school because chances are what you say will get floated around in a game of telephone.

It's stuff like that which makes me love the art. It's so personal and shit that if you train, you get respect from most people even at white belt, and they're like "you train? Put on your gi and come join us" without one dollar being exchanged. Fucking awesome martial art camaraderie that I love about bjj. I'm not sure if other arts are like this.

I want to visit the Mendes Brothers place and I hear you have to rent one of their gi's to do a class. It's a plain white gi. No blue gi's allowed.

Love BJJ Globetrotters. I'd love to do one of their camps someday.

As to AOJ, you can wear your own white gi, as long as it doesn't have a patch. Part of the reasoning is that they film for their online class daily and don't want patches or colored gis ruining the aesthetics of the production.

I did hear a crazy rumor that facial hair isn't allowed now.

Appreciate everyone's advice and personal stories regarding BJJ and injuries. Some of the stories about broken bones and shit does leave me worried, I've been hurt but never have broken anything lol. Im based in the San Jose area. I'll start looking at different gyms . If anyone can recommend a gym in this area please let me know. Thanks!!!

Haha its so stupid - you walk into your first gym usually on the basis of it being close to your house, and now you owe undying allegiance to some dude that wrestles well on the floor.

My mental exercise with this is the following: I pretend I'm playing ping pong instead of bjj. If what people says doesn't still make sense, its bullshit.

"You can't play ping pong with your friends who play on other tables!" Uhhhhh, nope.

"Only we know the TRUE ping pong" Uhhhh nope.

"Say YES SIR after every instruction I give you with ping pong" haha no way dude

You get the point. It works the other way too - students can have instructors that go out of their way for them, and the student shits all over them. In those cases, its like... "man, what he did would be messed up even if we were only on a ping pong team."

People that use the word "Family," always raise an eyebrow from me as well. Its definitely not everyone, but its a word scammers use a lot to pressure people into doing things they normally wouldn't be ok with.

Yeah I hate the whole "family" thing. It does feel very cultish when people say that. You're cool people I train with, but you're not my friggin family.

Another tip is to stretch really deep and really good before and after class - yes, after. Also get plenty of water before and after class. A lot of the time soreness is due to lack of stretching (before or after, especially after) and a lack of water. There have been days early in the bjj journey when I am so sore that it hurts to walk (especially if we did 99999 triangle drills) but if I do a good stretch before class that pain is gone five minutes within class and I'm back to normal. Sometimes all you need to do is stretch some. Thankfully I've started to do yoga.

I think this might be one of the reasons why I have so many injuries. I'm terrible at stretching. I am so unorganized that I sometimes come late for class (yeah I'm "that" guy) and then I miss the warmup. But I've always been bad at that. But when I started in my early 20s my body could recpuirate. I could train through the injuries and heal quickly.
Now that I'm in my 30s I cannot keep doing that. It's a weird blindspot I have with lacking discipline when it comes to that. But I feel like I am learning the lesson of it the hard way due to my injuries!

Love BJJ Globetrotters. I'd love to do one of their camps someday.

As to AOJ, you can wear your own white gi, as long as it doesn't have a patch. Part of the reasoning is that they film for their online class daily and don't want patches or colored gis ruining the aesthetics of the production.

I did hear a crazy rumor that facial hair isn't allowed now.

You should totally come! These camps are a lot of fun. A lot of great people! :)

With the Mendes brothers academy- It's so beautiful. I really like their design so I can almost understand the reasoning, but it seems like a difficult thing to control!

BrettWeir

Anyone doing the Atlanta Open this weekend? What about Kakuto Challenge on May 20th?

I'm not competing, but will be there with my Instructor to help coach a couple of teammates.

Sorry, just seeing this.

Yep, I have gone that route, but I think I need to start taking Chewy's approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMXCo4fd4M

I like pistol grip too. My hands are small so I can't put my hands around bigger guys wrists so I switch to pistol. I like Chewy's approach! I'll try it!

I think this might be one of the reasons why I have so many injuries. I'm terrible at stretching. I am so unorganized that I sometimes come late for class (yeah I'm "that" guy) and then I miss the warmup. But I've always been bad at that. But when I started in my early 20s my body could recpuirate. I could train through the injuries and heal quickly.
Now that I'm in my 30s I cannot keep doing that. It's a weird blindspot I have with lacking discipline when it comes to that. But I feel like I am learning the lesson of it the hard way due to my injuries!

You should totally come! These camps are a lot of fun. A lot of great people! :)

With the Mendes brothers academy- It's so beautiful. I really like their design so I can almost understand the reasoning, but it seems like a difficult thing to control!

Get there earlier or look for the one person stretching after class and ask for help. Coming earlier will help with stretching because you know what to do since at my school at least it's part of the routine.

Anyone doing the Atlanta Open this weekend? What about Kakuto Challenge on May 20th?

I'm not competing, but will be there with my Instructor to help coach a couple of teammates.

Nope. I should have teammates heading that way though I haven't heard anyone actually talking about Atlanta. We'll see.

Take some pics/videos of the tourney and a pic of acai! It's been a while since I've viewed a tourney. If I had the money I'd totally go to Worlds this year. Maybe next year.

Fox318

Found out yesterday that its pretty tough to wristlock me.

My hand was touching my forearm and I wasn't really feeling anything.

Be grateful you live in that area full of bjj talent, bud.

I can't suggest a gym there but I can give tips on how to choose a bjj school.

Sure I'd be grateful for any tips you can offer. I haven't defined a clear criteria to judge against other than I want to avoid places where there's lots of dudes trying to act hard. I'm almost 40, I'm over that tough guy shit. You're right, a quick Yelp search brings up multiple highly rated gyms in my area. I won't want to fall in the trap of picking a gym because its name sounds "more legit" because it sounds more "brazilian".

Sure I'd be grateful for any tips you can offer. I haven't defined a clear criteria to judge against other than I want to avoid places where there's lots of dudes trying to act hard. I'm almost 40, I'm over that tough guy shit. You're right, a quick Yelp search brings up multiple highly rated gyms in my area. I won't want to fall in the trap of picking a gym because its name sounds "more legit" because it sounds more "brazilian".

I'll write it later.

lol most bjj places are chill as fuck. But there's one distinction you must make. A bjj school tends to be chill, an mma gym that has jiu jitsu tend to attract certain types. That will be in my write up.

Goofalo

The only schools that come to mind are Caio Terra, Claudio Franco, Gloglo in the San Jose area. The only person I really hear mixed things about is Caio Terra. However, HUGE grain of salt, Caio Terra is somewhat controversial. I think that's because he's a incredible competitor and because he's young.

Top Bottom