• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Iowa Caucuses |Feb 1|: Winter is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
CaUIykhWAAAGyvF.png

Made in the USA! https://store.marcorubio.com/product/bae-t-shirt/

Oh my god.

I'm gonna buy a "yaaaaaasss Hillary" t-shirt instead after seeing this.

Diablos

How legal is it for Hillary to nominate Bill as VP?
Honestly this is not the worst idea but then again it would probably look desperate. I don't think she would do it though.

I don't see how it could be illegal, though; Bill never served as a VP and thus he should be eligible.

Of course, if something happened to Hillary he wouldn't be able to serve as President... so there's the Catch 22.

It doesn't really matter; if Hillary wins, Bill is going to play a very active role in the WH. He could be Chief of Staff, easily.

I don't see how it could be illegal, though; Bill never served as a VP and thus he should be eligible.
12th Amendment: "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

22nd Amendment: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

Per the 22nd Amendment, Bill is "constitutionally ineligible" to be elected to the office of the President. It's a fine point that could be argued allows him to be Hillary's VP, but why are we talking about him (or Bernie as VP) when the Ds should be concerned about grooming the next generation. Obama had to go old to offset his inexperience, Hillary has no such shortcoming.

NeOak

She's never been in a position to do anything about it, the decision came while she was at the State Department. The only things that can be done about Citizens United are realigning the court or getting a constitutional amendment passed, those are literally our only two options and one of them is impossible. Keep in mind that it started as an anti-Clinton group as well.

Are you ever going to post the results in the OP?

KingV

12th Amendment: "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

22nd Amendment: "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

Per the 22nd Amendment, Bill is "constitutionally ineligible" to be elected to the office of the President. It's a fine point that could be argued allows him to be Hillary's VP, but why are we talking about him (or Bernie as VP) when the Ds should be concerned about grooming the next generation. Obama had to go old to offset his inexperience, Hillary has no such shortcoming.

Hillary may have to offer it to Bernie just to shore up her base. It's getting pretty divisive out there.

noshten

Editorial: Something smells in the Democratic Party

Once again the world is laughing at Iowa. Late-night comedians and social media mavens are having a field day with jokes about missing caucusgoers and coin flips.

That’s fine. We can take ribbing over our quirky process. But what we can’t stomach is even the whiff of impropriety or error.

What happened Monday night at the Democratic caucuses was a debacle, period. Democracy, particularly at the local party level, can be slow, messy and obscure. But the refusal to undergo scrutiny or allow for an appeal reeks of autocracy.

The Iowa Democratic Party must act quickly to assure the accuracy of the caucus results, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

First of all, the results were too close not to do a complete audit of results. Two-tenths of 1 percent separated Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. A caucus should not be confused with an election, but it’s worth noting that much larger margins trigger automatic recounts in other states.

Second, too many questions have been raised. Too many accounts have arisen of inconsistent counts, untrained and overwhelmed volunteers, confused voters, cramped precinct locations, a lack of voter registration forms and other problems. Too many of us, including members of the Register editorial board who were observing caucuses, saw opportunities for error amid Monday night’s chaos.

The Sanders campaign is rechecking results on its own, going precinct by precinct, and is already finding inconsistencies, said Rania Batrice, a Sanders spokeswoman. The campaign seeks the math sheets or other paperwork that precinct chairs filled out and were supposed to return to the state party. They want to compare those documents to the results entered into a Microsoft app and sent to the party.

“Let’s compare notes. Let’s see if they match,” Batrice said Wednesday.

Dr. Andy McGuire, chairwoman of the Iowa Democratic Party, dug in her heels and said no. She said the three campaigns had representatives in a room in the hours after the caucuses and went over the discrepancies.

McGuire knows what’s at stake. Her actions only confirm the suspicions, wild as they might be, of Sanders supporters. Their candidate, after all, is opposed by the party establishment — and wasn’t even a Democrat a few months ago.

So her path forward is clear: Work with all the campaigns to audit results. Break silly party tradition and release the raw vote totals. Provide a list of each precinct coin flip and its outcome, as well as other information sought by the Register. Be transparent.

And then call for a blue ribbon commission to study how to improve the caucuses, as the Republican Party of Iowa did after its own fiasco in 2012. Monday’s mess showed that it’s time for the Democrats to change, too.

The caucuses have become something they were never intended to be. It’s as if RAGBRAI tried to morph into the Tour de France. It wasn’t built for the speed or the significance.

The current process grew out of efforts to find a more democratic way to choose delegates to conventions, after the grassroots saw how Democratic powerbrokers controlled the nominating process in 1968. But the caucuses have become as antiquated and opaque as the smoke-filled rooms of yore.

Democrats should ask themselves: What do we want the Iowa caucus to be? How can we preserve its uniqueness while bringing more order? Does it become more like a straw poll or primary? How do we strike the balance between tradition and transparency?

We have time to consider these questions. First, however, we need answers to what happened Monday night. The future of the first-in-the-nation caucuses demands it.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...l-something-smells-democratic-party/79777580/

BTW Desmoine Register officially endorsed Hillary before the caucus in case anyone brings up weird conspiracy angles into the discussion.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No way Hillary would offer Bernie the VP spot. I don't even think she would have offered Obama a position had she won the election in 2008.

I wonder if Bernie even wants VP. It's such a token position for someone who wants to stay active and involved (unless you're evil Dick Cheney, of course).

Maengun1

What usually goes into picking a VP?

They generally use it to "balance" out the President nom themselves. If you're old, you want someone young. If you're newer to politics, you want someone who's been in forever. If you're really liberal or conservative, you want someone more centrist. If you're from the northeast, you want someone from the south or west. Etc. It also always helps to pick someone from a battleground state because odds are a "hometown" VP pick will come with a small boost there.

They don't always follow this, but it's a good idea for the most part. The VP really doesn't do much but make speeches and sit on their hands waiting to take over in the unlikely event that occurs.

2AdEPT

Nice thoughts, I'm of the same mind. Ive been over and over this with a Bernie supporter on FB. I am committed to voting for either Democrat, which apparently labels me a "yellow dog democrat" in his mind. I keep harping on how the "political revolution" he is seeking has to exist with or without Sanders and how anyone currently registered as a dem MUST show up and vote in nov if he ever wants to see the revolution take place. He keeps making excuses about his principles against corporate interest and trying to justify not showing up in nov. I can't beleive that someone who considers this race of such importance could stay home just because they only got a candidate they agree with on 85% of the issues instead of the whole pie.

There are rarely people to vote for in elections (although I think Bernie is an exception, he is EXACTLY the type of guy that should be running the US, the non-electability crap is just that ...right wing BS), but there are usually people for whom it is important to vote against! You are right, your friend's logic is shot.

Sinoox

Banned
Honestly I just hope that this encourages people to go out and caucus. If you've wondered about why each election cycle sucks in terms of choice, this is where it all starts. Sadly, pre-registration to affiliate with your nominee's party has ended in a lot of states. Colorado is one of those states. I felt so relieved when they switched my party affiliation to Democrat otherwise I couldn't caucus for Bernie.

Every state is different though so look up yourself on how to caucus where you live. Many people in America don't caucus or vote. Gaf, please go out and support your candidate. No matter who wins, let's not give away America to the people who don't even actually represent it. Because that's exactly what we're all doing when we don't involve ourselves in election cycles.

Square2015

Honestly I just hope that this encourages people to go out and caucus. If you've wondered about why each election cycle sucks in terms of choice, this is where it all starts. Sadly, pre-registration to affiliate with your nominee's party has ended in a lot of states. Colorado is one of those states. I felt so relieved when they switched my party affiliation to Democrat otherwise I couldn't caucus for Bernie.

Every state is different though so look up yourself on how to caucus where you live. Many people in America don't caucus or vote. Gaf, please go out and support your candidate. No matter who wins, let's not give away America to the people who don't even actually represent it. Because that's exactly what we're all doing when we don't involve ourselves in election cycles.
This. (thanks for saying this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom