• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone is 10 years old

I had the first iPhone, and can vividly recall nearly 75% of those that I showed it to saying "yeah, that's cool but I'll NEVER buy a phone with a touchscreen keyboard."

I'd argue about how surprisingly accurate it is. How it only takes a few days to get used to. How it's only going to get better. How the extra screen real estate is worth it. How you don't have to deal with a single "stuck" key. How there's so much room for enhancement and unique KBs in the future.

Didn't matter. "never," they said.
Sadly apples keyboard is one of the worst now.

Two Words

I disagree.

Processing power, RAM, camera and battery life improvements don't constitute a "jump".

The OG iPhone changed how we commuicate, single handedly created new business models and affected others.

Of the improvements made over the years, what has been a "jump" in your mind?

Oh, come on. You're being sarcastic right?

WaffleTaco, this is why I don't consider recent improvements as "jumps".

The 1st gen iPhone was the "jump". Nothing major has happened since.
What has really changed about computers since the mid 90s besides spec improvements?

Defuser

There is no doubt the iphone change the way people use their phones and it is now seem as a basic necessity.Too bad it also brought out the worst in human behavior, lack of self awareness when walking and staring at the phone, the selfie culture, taking pictures/recording at the wrong place/time with a lack decency and conscience.

Fat4all

Banned
The iPhone 5c came in green.

iphone_5cfaj9m.jpg

I got the green one.

I loved that color.

But I had to go with Rose pink when I upgraded to a 6plus :(

ekim

I tried everything from iOS to Android to Windows Phone and now I'm back at iOS. Simply because of the polish. The special features of the Galaxy S4 were half assed like the eye scrolling thing. Then the browser became a chore and even after trying multiple browsers, none of those were stable at all. For the things I primarily do (browsing the web, writing whatsapp messages, todo lists, notes and some gaming) the iPhone is perfect and stable.

dc89

The original iPhone. Ahhh.
I wanted one pretty badly but I remember trying to get one was pretty hard, o2 seemed to never have stock when I wanted one. And then the stocks dried up because of the 3G and that's when I got one, on iPhone 3G launch day.

I had a Nokia N95 before that iPhone and the leap was phenomenal.

Blablurn

The original iPhone. Ahhh.
I wanted one pretty badly but I remember trying to get one was pretty hard, o2 seemed to never have stock when I wanted one. And then the stocks dried up because of the 3G and that's when I got one, on iPhone 3G launch day.

I had a Nokia N95 before that iPhone and the leap was phenomenal.

best brand in the market <3

I'm so happy with my 7 Plus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sometimes rewatch the launch keynote but today I might search up the iPhone 4 launch - first retina mention right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember it making a splash, but it wasn't released outside of the US.

Next year is the real 10 year anniversary of the iPhone for most people around the world: the 3G. And also, the birth of the App Store was crucial.

I remember having to import the first iPhone from the US and having one of those sim adapter that tricked the iPhone into thinking i'm using a AT&T sim. Times have definitely changed for the better.

mrkgoo

Gonna post for old times' sake.

I never got an iPhone 1, but I would've loved one. It never came out here. But the 3G did, and I jumped on it. The notion of being on the internet everywhere was a game changer for me.

Hard to believe how much was missing back in the day too. The OG iPhone didn't even have GPS! (or cut an paste, or MMS, or 3G)

But man, before the iPhone, I was a huge cellphone nerd. Always browsing websites for the latest cool looking phone. After I got an iPhone, that habit become pointless, as I knew I'd be getting iPhones from then on.

RSP

We still have a pile of old gen phones in the office. Kind of fun to hold a 3G or 3GS nowadays. Same goes for 4 or 4S by the way.

There is no doubt the iphone change the way people use their phones and it is now seem as a basic necessity.Too bad it also brought out the worst in human behavior, lack of self awareness when walking and staring at the phone, the selfie culture, taking pictures/recording at the wrong place/time with a lack decency and conscience.

There's nothing wrong with selfies. People were taking selfies on flip phones.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I still like to watch this occasionally. Stuff like the gasps when Jobs shows pinch to zoom show how revolutionary it was. All this stuff that seems obvious now and is completely taken for granted basically had to be invented from scratch.

It wasn't invented from scratch. I highly suggest reading the book "The One Device". A great history of the iPhonen and how it came to be. In fact another companies multi-touch controllers are what basically formed the bases of the iPhone as we know it.

FyreWulff

Problem with other phones wasn't the hardware. It was the shitty ass butt poop shit Symbian OS and other attempts.

Also like how Steve went "WE CAN ADD NEW FEATURES BECAUSE YOU CANT GO CHANGE HARDWARE ON PHONES", forgetting the phone epoch is like ~2 years at most and they started arbitrarily locking software updates to.. you guessed it.. new hardware revisions.

And Steve wanted to try and run Apple only apps and everyone else was going to have to be Safari web applets.. the iPhone basically succeeded against the wishes of the company's CEO.

Safari was also a revelation on the device. What was the competition. Pocket internet explorer? Lol. Safari actually made looking at the internet on your phone an enjoyable thing. Opera Mini was the closest example I could remember.... but that was it for a LONG time until android

No flash support was also nice. Didn't have to have that big things down and also helped promote the change to HTML 5

I remember Microsoft immediately showed a "deep fish" demo of a web browser that looked like mobile safari. Has remained vapor ware

That's another one. "This isn't the baby internet, you can browse the real internet on this device"

*everyone eventually just makes mobile versions of sites all over again anyway and reinvents WAP*

Either way it's a neat device, and now it's pretty much a commodity expectation of phones. Interested to see where another company could take it.

Ambient80

I still like to watch this occasionally. Stuff like the gasps when Jobs shows pinch to zoom show how revolutionary it was. All this stuff that seems obvious now and is completely taken for granted basically had to be invented from scratch.

Its funny how just him scrolling in the iPod app had people literally oohing and aahing. Slide to unlock also got some funny reactions.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I had the first iPhone, and can vividly recall nearly 75% of those that I showed it to saying "yeah, that's cool but I'll NEVER buy a phone with a touchscreen keyboard."

I'd argue about how surprisingly accurate it is. How it only takes a few days to get used to. How it's only going to get better. How the extra screen real estate is worth it. How you don't have to deal with a single "stuck" key. How there's so much room for enhancement and unique KBs in the future.

Didn't matter. "never," they said.

To be fair, the iPhone keyboard is still pretty terrible.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you are under 25? Not a criticism but an actual guess.

For anyone 35 and older, neither of those are hyperbole or in any way ridiculous. As someone who started using the internet in ~'90-91, and having to sit down at the computer, dial in, open up a terminal emulator, telnet to a site, etc.. then ~4-5 years later STILL having to do all of that, making sure your winsock was up to date, loading up Mosiac.. etc..

I had even used Blackjacks, HTC Heros and Tilts, Nokia 6620, etc. They were AWFUL internet experiences. and then came iphone where.. you wanted to view the web? No problem, just like at home. Check email? No problem, just like at home. Stream radio (with the 3G and App Store), no problem, even BETTER than home. etc

I get that kids are like "umm... there's wifi everywhere old man".. but for people who actually experienced the iphone-then-smartphone revolution of the late-70s... neither of those statements are ridiculous.
Respect.

bionic77

What has really changed about computers since the mid 90s besides spec improvements?
Software improved greatly with those spec improvements.

For the longest time you had to upgrade after a few years to take advantage of the new software.

PCs have now hit a wall where you don't need to keep buying a new one or upgrade to take advantage of most software unless you are doing something very intensive like games or editing video.

Smartphones processing actually is advancing pretty quickly but things have slowed down because the software is not taking advantage of it yet. When you see the shit the Switch can do on similar hardware to a high end phone it makes you wonder what could be done on your smartphone if someone tried to take advantage of that power instead of developing for the lowest common denominator.

Two Words

Software improved greatly with those spec improvements.

For the longest time you had to upgrade after a few years to take advantage of the new software.

PCs have now hit a wall where you don't need to keep buying a new one or upgrade to take advantage of most software unless you are doing something very intensive like games or editing video.

Smartphones processing actually is advancing pretty quickly but things have slowed down because the software is not taking advantage of it yet. When you see the shit the Switch can do on similar hardware to a high end phone it makes you wonder what could be done on your smartphone if someone tried to take advantage of that power instead of developing for the lowest common denominator.
Umm, older iPhones run like like shit on the newer software that runs iOS because it does more and more.

Dalek

I always like reading the posts from people dismissive of the iPhones impact. Anytime something like pinch to zoom is brought up: "Well, actually, that was not that big of a deal because someone else would have just thought of that eventually."

Fuchsdh

I always like reading the posts from people dismissive of the iPhones impact. Anytime something like pinch to zoom is brought up: "Well, actually, that was not that big of a deal because someone else would have just thought of that eventually."

I also think people have to recognize the iOS ecosystem and third parties for developing the "language" of phone usage as well. It was a third part Twitter app on iOS that "invented" the pull-down to update gesture, for instance (and hell, it was a third-party Twitter app that invented the term "tweets".)

iPhones killed the GPS device market.

And no one was sad.

kiguel182

I couldn’t afford an iPhone but I had an iPod Touch 3 and I absolutely loved it. How I wish that was a phone and could send messages and stuff. Man, it was something else back then.

Last year I finally bought an iPhone (An SE) and I love it. Sure the impact is lessened years later and I already had an iPad and a Mac but there was something about the iPhone that always felt especial I guess. It’s definetly a great phone even if Android it’s pretty great too these days. I guess years of brand exposure just can’t be erased like that too.

I also love looking at the iPhone presentation from time to time. The amount of stuff that we take for granted that is shown and also the way the platform rapidly changed and how it impacted everyday life is pretty cool.

The idea that Steve Jobs wanted web apps to be the future is a funny one. Altought some argue that they will be the future still so you never know.

...and I've been there since the start!

I had this beauty beforehand:

lg-prada.jpg

...so the form factor and touch-centric nature wasn't revolutionary but the software was absolutely astounding. Pinch-to-zoom was particularly incredible.

iMax

Yes, but you posted a picture of an LG Prada 3.0 that came out in 2012 with Android hehe.

You meant that original LG Prada which is fair enough. I just didn't let it slide because of the post-iPhone Android look :p

Uh, you're right. Wrong image! Will edit now.

SuperPac

I had 2-3 liveblogs open in a browser on that January Macworld day, refreshing like a madman. I remember thinking during the reveal “oh crap if they allow apps on this thing - it’s going to be insane.” Spent many lunches with co-workers talking about how cool it would be to have Skype or AIM with you on a cell phone (my flip phone at the time did AIM but…badly - I only used it once or twice when I absolutely had to).

On launch day, I stupidly lined up at an AT&T store thinking that that would be the best place to get an iPhone. Of course, the store employees wouldn’t disclose whether they had any or how many they had and when they opened the answer was 10 and they would allow people in line to place orders for the device to be delivered. Meanwhile, Apple Stores were like limit 2 per person and they weren’t all running out on day one. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a business trip and couldn't also go to an Apple store after waiting at AT&T so long. They did that thing where it went on sale at 5-6 pm local time too, right? So, I didn't have an OG phone at launch.

I ordered a 4GB because that was shipping from AT&T faster than the other one. Got it delivered then took it to an Apple Store and exchanged it for an 8GB. Jumped from Sprint to AT&T and have not looked back. I’ve been day one for every iPhone model after that point - spent many hours in line at Apple Stores for the 3G, 3GS and 4 before I decided “never again” and just ordered online. It is the computer I use the most personally and for work. I will always want a faster, better model with a better camera.

While I had a Nexus One and Nexus 7 over the last 10 years my daily driver has always been an iOS device.

Back in the early 2000s I was invited by Sprint to an event at E3 showing off flip phone games. Maybe people don’t remember but back then, when you downloaded Pac-Man, Tetris or Brickbreaker on your flip phone, you paid a monthly subscription to have it on your phone bill. (Same with ringtones from carrier ringtone stores.) If Apple hadn’t been able to disrupt that particular market in the way that they did with the app store, we’d still be in that model I’m sure. To me that’s maybe the biggest thing that Apple has accomplished in the US is breaking the carrier monopoly and BS from being pre-installed on devices. Though, Android still has that problem to an extent.

border

LG Electronics has stated the iPhone's design and concept was copied from the first LG Prada, the KE850. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference, ”We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006. We take that to mean Apple stole our idea."[9] The KE850 received a 2007 iF product design award,[10] where entries had to be shipped by September 2006.

Sounds like LG was salty-as-fuck that they got so completely upstaged by the iPhone.

Looking at old videos of the LG Prada though, it was kinda crummy. LG was on the verge of launching a $600 phone where the OS runs at like 15 frames per second, you have to use a T9 interface to type, and web pages are rendered as text-only reformatted mobile garbage. They must have shit their pants at the iPhone unveiling.......the seamless software keyboard, the smooth OS performance, websites looking like real websites, and a music player with more features than "Play/Pause/Skip".

LG Electronics has stated the iPhone's design and concept was copied from the first LG Prada, the KE850. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference, “We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006. We take that to mean Apple stole our idea.”[9] The KE850 received a 2007 iF product design award,[10] where entries had to be shipped by September 2006.

Sounds like LG was salty-as-fuck that they got so completely upstaged by the iPhone.

Looking at old videos of the LG Prada[/RL] though, it was kinda crummy. LG was on the verge of launching a $600 phone where the OS runs at like 15 frames per second, you have to use a T9 interface to type, and web pages are rendered as text-only reformatted mobile garbage. They must have shit their pants at the iPhone unveiling.......the seamless software keyboard, the smooth OS performance, websites looking like real websites, and a music player with more features than "Play/Pause/Skip".

Yeah, it’s amazing to me when the Prada is held up as some kind of direct ancestor to the iPhone.

Touch screens existed before the iPhone. Mobile internet on phones existed before the iPhone. Taking pictures on a phone existed before the iPhone.

The iPhone took all of that (and more), made it work in a simple and user-friendly way, and made a smartphone for the masses.

Top Bottom