• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The job market is a racket.

ROMhack

Update: I still haven't found a job.

I had an interview, then a second interview last week and they went with somebody 'already heavily involved in the sector'. That about sums up my experience so far - companies say they're impressed but go with somebody else already working in that role for another company.

I'm really demotivated now and starting to wonder if I should just get a bar job and teach myself web development instead.

Oh well :(

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Never had a problem with interviews.

Just wear extra tight trousers so that they can clearly see the outline of your giant GAF cock and demand that you conduct your interview standing so that it's right in their face and they can't avoid staring at it.

Works a charm every time.

In the 6 months i have been applying for, I only had 2 Interviews and rejected twice.

The last one was hard to swallow as it was very local to me, and the thing I was failed on was Excel Experience (I use Google Sheets because Excel makes it hard to navigate), although they said they picked someone with a higher grade than me in accounting (I am doing that grade this year).

It went well despite my Aspergers so it stung quite hard for me.

The market is my town seems to have a lot of Accountancy Roles but hardly any interviews. Avoid Page Personnel like the plague.

I live in the Manchester Area btw where my local town is up and coming too.

Last edited:

ROMhack

In the 6 months i have been applying for, I only had 2 Interviews and rejected twice.

The last one was hard to swallow as it was very local to me, and the thing I was failed on was Excel Experience (I use Google Sheets because Excel makes it hard to navigate), although they said they picked someone with a higher grade than me in accounting (I am doing that grade this year).

It went well despite my Aspergers so it stung quite hard for me.

The market is my town seems to have a lot of Accountancy Roles but hardly any interviews. Avoid Page Personnel like the plague.

That sucks, I guess keep trying :) Are you working in the industry already, or is this your first post-college job?

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Sending love out here, if anything you can feel free to send me or anyone who offers your resume to look at, I'm not particularly savvy in comms but I have a ton of friends who landed internships right out of college (seems that it was more common than landing a job straight away for some reason, maybe it's the major?) so I think I may have some idea of how to give suggestions. I know you already went this avenue but I figure I can offer.

EDIT: To be clear I doubt it's the problem given people are talking to you and you've clearly interviewed before, but yeah.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Sending love out here, if anything you can feel free to send me or anyone who offers your resume to look at, I'm not particularly savvy in comms but I have a ton of friends who landed internships right out of college (seems that it was more common than landing a job straight away for some reason, maybe it's the major?) so I think I may have some idea of how to give suggestions. I know you already went this avenue but I figure I can offer.

EDIT: To be clear I doubt it's the problem given people are talking to you and you've clearly interviewed before, but yeah.

Thank you. Yeah I get enough interviews I think. I spend a lot of time on my CV and make appropriate changes to it for every job I apply for. It seems the problem has more to do with my actual level of experience rather than anything else - or at least the fact I'm not in work presently and am up against people who are.

The solution I've earmarked is to move back to my parent's, take on a part-time job and do some volunteering. In all honesty it seems like the only way I can move forward.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Thank you. Yeah I get enough interviews I think. I spend a lot of time on my CV and make appropriate changes to it for every job I apply for. It seems the problem has more to do with my actual level of experience rather than anything else - or at least the fact I'm not in work presently and am up against people who are.

The solution I've earmarked is to move back to my parent's, take on a part-time job and do some volunteering. In all honesty it seems like the only way I can move forward.

Yeah as long as you're feeling sure about it man, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at least for garnering up cash to make interview trips if you ever need to. You were considering looking out farther for work, right? That is a benefit, I think.

ROMhack

Yeah as long as you're feeling sure about it man, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at least for garnering up cash to make interview trips if you ever need to. You were considering looking out farther for work, right? That is a benefit, I think.

Yeah actually it is, thanks for reminding me about that. Cheers me up a bit :)

That sucks, I guess keep trying :) Are you working in the industry already, or is this your first post-college job?

I am a Graphic Designer for a family business and have done it for 8 years.

Sad to say that there is a culture of bullying there so I am being forced out essentially so I have been looking as even my boss said he wants me out ASAP.

Got the experience but I have been studying in another field as I am fed up with what I do plus having zero experiences.

ROMhack

I am a Graphic Designer for a family business and have done it for 8 years.

Sad to say that there is a culture of bullying there so I am being forced out essentially so I have been looking as even my boss said he wants me out ASAP.

Got the experience but I have been studying in another field as I am fed up with what I do plus having zero experiences.

Well that sucks and I hope you hear something good soon. I guess being close to Manchester is helpful for jobs, nice city too.

V4skunk

Banned
Man, I'm starting to feel like I hate everything about the current job market.

I got another rejection this morning after what I felt was a good interview. It feels like there's very little I can do on my side despite having 2 years experience in my chosen field.

This is in London btw. Seriously, fuck this miserable place. People seem dead inside and I think the fact I'm not might be rubbing people up the wrong way.

Anyone else?
London is your problem.
Also if you are white, English and male you are the last resort at the back. Immigrants and women come first.

Last edited:
Well that sucks and I hope you hear something good soon. I guess being close to Manchester is helpful for jobs, nice city too.

It can be! Some parts are harder to travel than others though.

You should move up North is London is an issue.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Update: I still haven't found a job.

I had an interview, then a second interview last week and they went with somebody 'already heavily involved in the sector'. That about sums up my experience so far - companies say they're impressed but go with somebody else already working in that role for another company.

I'm really demotivated now and starting to wonder if I should just get a bar job and teach myself web development instead.

Oh well :(

It's a tough position to be in and it's easy to get demoralised. I think most of us here have probably been in this situation before so don't feel like you're alone. But keep at it. Try and have a bunch of applications on the go at any given time so that you aren't pinning your hopes on one. Something will come up.

Is there any relevant voluntary work you can do to keep yourself stimulated and build up a bit of experience? That can lead to making connections that can lead to jobs too.

ROMhack

It's a tough position to be in and it's easy to get demoralised. I think most of us here have probably been in this situation before so don't feel like you're alone. But keep at it. Try and have a bunch of applications on the go at any given time so that you aren't pinning your hopes on one. Something will come up.

Is there any relevant voluntary work you can do to keep yourself stimulated and build up a bit of experience? That can lead to making connections that can lead to jobs too.

Yeah, I'm planning to go down the volunteering route. Just need to sort out my finances and find a part-time side job to balance alongside it.

Thanks for the advice, it does help :)

Last edited:

DKehoe

Yeah, I'm planning to go down the volunteering route. Just need to sort out my finances and find a part-time side job to balance alongside it.

Thanks for the advice, it does help :)

No shame in getting a side job to help pay the bills. Employers will like that you are keeping yourself busy and obviously the money helps.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
automation sucks for some

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Job hunting is a numbers game. You just need to be the best applicant once. Although it sucks for the people who have to go through multiple interviews several times without an offer. My hit rate of an offer after getting an interview was about 50%, my hit rate for application to interview was less than 1%. Still every interview is practice for the next, just don't give up, you should be more relaxed and better prepared with every interview you have.

lil puff

Looking for a job these days is really about the art of boasting and lying. From the very beginning, people on both sides of the process are encouraged to be dishonest. That's the impression I get from the experiences I have had.
I find this not only to be true while looking for a job, but it persists once some people are hired in order to maintain the charade that they aren't incompetent or under-qualified.

For a lot of mid-level positions, at least in my industry it starts with the employer looking to fill a position, and they take priority on internal references by employees over people that apply to a posted position listing.

I think when companies look internally to fill positions, people look to hire their friends. I don't think a friend looks directly at qualification, they look at their own comfort and feel goods about helping a friend.

Then the friend comes in un-vetted, gets a head start. Friend helps friend learn on the job, and the entire thing is a lie. Plenty of people I work with were brought in by current employees, and it shows on many levels.

Edit: This may explain why the traditional route of actually applying with a resume/interview has become total BS and very difficult for applicants. They are prioritizing the internal references.

Last edited:
Currently looking myself whilst on the sick (stress related so they can't fire me for a month).

Appkied for a few accounting jobs but it is jard given I have no real experience in it, but I passed my Course so I have some skills in it.

Hoping I hear something soon.

God Enel

I spoke to a woman working in HR at my company (started there this year as a trainee). She told me she has 7000 CVs to check out in a year. Let’s say you work 220 days or so you have to check roughly 30 of them a day. That means you have to read through 4 in an hour. Basically 15 minutes for one applicant (?) if you don’t have other shit to do. And HR people do a shitload of things. It’s basically luck i feel like.

BigBooper

It is pretty soul crushing. I was unemployed and actively looking for about 8 months ten years ago and I sent resumes and emails and called hundreds of times. I spent probably 4 hours a day just trying to get a job.

I made some mistakes along the way with that, but it wasn't all me and it was crushing. I ate into my savings and just had to find something to make money. You can eventually work your way out if you don't give up, and don't have more emergencies pop up. I have respect for anyone working through that.

Breakage

I find this not only to be true while looking for a job, but it persists once some people are hired in order to maintain the charade that they aren't incompetent or under-qualified.

For a lot of mid-level positions, at least in my industry it starts with the employer looking to fill a position, and they take priority on internal references by employees over people that apply to a posted position listing.

I think when companies look internally to fill positions, people look to hire their friends. I don't think a friend looks directly at qualification, they look at their own comfort and feel goods about helping a friend.

Then the friend comes in un-vetted, gets a head start. Friend helps friend learn on the job, and the entire thing is a lie. Plenty of people I work with were brought in by current employees, and it shows on many levels.
Yeah, I agree. Even in sectors such as tech where you think this sort of stuff would be less likely, people who don't know their stuff manage to find their way in, and even get promoted to senior roles -- all because they know someone. This sort of thing is also noticable with attractive women: they get in on looks, despite being under-qualified. The whole process encourages people to be dishonest to get ahead.

lil puff

I spoke to a woman working in HR at my company (started there this year as a trainee). She told me she has 7000 CVs to check out in a year. Let’s say you work 220 days or so you have to check roughly 30 of them a day. That means you have to read through 4 in an hour. Basically 15 minutes for one applicant (?) if you don’t have other shit to do. And HR people do a shitload of things. It’s basically luck i feel like.
Not only that, but HR reps aren't necessarily well versed in the specific positions requirements and qualifications. These are not Jack of All Trades people.

Sadly, many managers that perform the interviews aren't either. My manager runs a department, but cannot fathom the actual individual detail involved in executing the position. This is how we get people who do not know how to attach a document from a Windows folder, or have problems maintaining/troubleshooting their PC or any specific office related - not to mention discreet technical skill to facilitate and efficiently execute their workload.

Luck is when the person who is interviewing you has actually done the position before/sat in the chair before, but I see less of that these days. I see more 'grandfathered in' figureheads who look at average results and are complacently satisfied with the lackluster performance they see.

ROMhack

It's just a difficult, long game. I don't think it's hopeless but I do wish I'd known about a lot of things beforehand.

I speak to college grads on other forums and feel sorry for them transitioning from education to the work place. It's crazy hard as all companies want tons of relevant experience.

Going to interviews is mentally draining but it's helping me a lot on a personal level. I had nothing for 4 months and realise now that I was in a darker place due to it.

Last edited:

lil puff

It's just a difficult, long game. I don't think it's hopeless but I do wish I'd known about a lot of things beforehand.

I speak to college grads on other forums and feel sorry for them transitioning from education to the work place. It's crazy hard as all companies want tons of relevant experience.

Going to interviews is mentally draining but it's helping me a lot on a personal level. I had nothing for 4 months and realise now that I was in a darker place due to it.
One thing I tell any students I come into contact with is to Get an Internship while you are there. Unpaid, if you can afford to.

Anytime you have guest professionals give seminars, anyone in the industry visiting classes, and extracurricular activity where you have a change to rub shoulders - take advantage of it.

It is much easier to break in to an industry after grad, if you're already there.

There were much better opportunities that I remember missing out on because I left immediately after class without mingling with guest lecturers. I have friends who ended up with dream jobs because they took advantage of those moments.

Also, I tend to think Job Fairs are decent ways to mingle around, if you are unemployed. Be very prepared and try to present yourself as having something unique. Even if you don't score a job, you can drop resumes, chat, and get advice. Take business cards so you can contact them later and let them know your progress.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
It is pretty soul crushing. I was unemployed and actively looking for about 8 months ten years ago and I sent resumes and emails and called hundreds of times. I spent probably 4 hours a day just trying to get a job.

I made some mistakes along the way with that, but it wasn't all me and it was crushing. I ate into my savings and just had to find something to make money. You can eventually work your way out if you don't give up, and don't have more emergencies pop up. I have respect for anyone working through that.

Have you ever told a potential employer in 5 years you want to be out of the country? If not, you have not made too big of mistakes my friend.

ROMhack

One thing I tell any students I come into contact with is to Get an Internship while you are there. Unpaid, if you can afford to.

Anytime you have guest professionals give seminars, anyone in the industry visiting classes, and extracurricular activity where you have a change to rub shoulders - take advantage of it.

It is much easier to break in to an industry after grad, if you're already there.

There were much better opportunities that I remember missing out on because I left immediately after class without mingling with guest lecturers. I have friends who ended up with dream jobs because they took advantage of those moments.

Also, I tend to think Job Fairs are decent ways to mingle around, if you are unemployed. Be very prepared and try to present yourself as having something unique. Even if you don't score a job, you can drop resumes, chat, and get advice. Take business cards so you can contact them later and let them know your progress.

Agreed. Really good advice this.

Top Bottom